Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 (9653 Views)

LASU Students Celebrate Old School Day / LASU Students Get Excess Fee Refund / Fees Reduction: LASU Students Throw A Party (PICTURE) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Akanbiedu(m): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2011
These people make me laugh. They complain about the quality, yet they want it free. But, guess what they'd do when they have N1million, they will take it to Malaysia, US, UK, Dubai and even Ghana for undergraduate studies. isn't it common sense that something must be done about the local schools?
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by ElmA1(f): 6:17pm On Oct 28, 2011
So LASU is now a private university? Interesting.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by badesco(m): 6:59pm On Oct 28, 2011
Despite Lagos remain the richest state in the federation, yet could not fund education adequately. it has shown that our elites do not want the poor people to survive. if not, how do u justify a whooping 775% increment in school fees. Remember most students of LASU are from low/average family. so with this now, a lot students will drop out of school and that will lead to many vices, i.e. increased armed robbery. prostitution s and many more. Apart from this, so many aspirations or hopes will be datched, many dreams killed. And finally the ACN slogan, EKO O NI BAJE Will now change to EKO MA BAJE SI, God save Lagos state, AMEN.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 28, 2011
in terms of getting qualitative education, this is not a bad move although the hike is too much comparing from where it was before. Government has to have a system that can still help people go to school even if they do not have all the money to pay. scholarships, grants, loans, subsidies, etc have to be implemented alongside this scheme. also, consideration should be given to probably indigenes of the state or residents of the state. education is necessary but if we really want things to turn around in the educational sector, then we have to be willing to make sacrifices. good move but that hike was too much. he could have made it gradual instead
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

These people make me laugh. They complain about the quality, yet they want it free. But, guess what they'd do when they have N1million, they will take it to Malaysia, US, UK, Dubai and even Ghana for undergraduate studies. isn't it common sense that something must be done about the local schools?

GBAM! I could not have said it better. The same 'poor' people complaining are the same ones that would work for several years, save up money and then go abroad (including Ghana) to spend millions on additional foreign degrees. Yet they would riot if asked to pay something worthwhile in Nigeria. They desire world-class education in Naija for free or peanuts. They are jokers! They condemn private unis charging a few hundred thousand naira but they have no problem paying with their blood for masters degree in foreign public universities.

Going to a public university in a serious minded country like Ghana will cost you nothing less than 2 million naira equivalent per annum which their citizens pay without social unrest. Yet we complain that they have better quality than Naija. Why wont they be better? How will our graduates compete with theirs? You will always get what you pay for. If you want better, go to a private uni or go abroad. Either way, you will pay!

Btw, I support scholarships and need based financial aid for indigent students who must maintain that aid by maintaining a minimum (high) GPA. If you are poor and you want to go to uni for free, then you must be willing to apply yourself and justify taxpayer funds spent to give you higher education. It should be a privilege, not a right!
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Torch1(m): 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2011
All hail our future president Babatunde Raji Fashola.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Akanbiedu(m): 9:01pm On Oct 28, 2011
Its a tough decision.

Our people are too emotional about these things. THE STATE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO SEND EVERY WILLING INDIVIDUAL TO UNIVERSITY, a qualitative one at that. If you don’t have money, you have to bring something of value, your talent in this case. If you don’t have that either, too bad for you. Then find something else to do. Go to vocational school, technical school and learn something. Life continues. You may even earn enough to learn later like Dangote. As simple as that.

The schools are so poorly funded that its impossible for them to measure up to their counterparts all over the world and the major reason they are TOO subsidized. Every time they need to run to government, sometimes useless and incompetent government like the FG, for anything they need. Look at the just removed governments in Ogun, Oyo and Osun. These bastards nearly ran state universities aground. Can you remember the fight between Akala and Oyin over LAUTECH? For how long are we going to continue like that? Is it not better to minimize these guys’ impact in our lives for good.

Every year only God knows how much money leaves Nigeria because people want to pursue quality education, which is their right anyway. A very quick estimate will show you that it can’t be less than $15million every year putting further pressure on our foreign exchange. Why can’t we save a lot of trouble by going the way of people who have done it before and have been successful, by making people pay for the service so that the process is sustainable.

Encourages hardwork on the part of the students and the faculties, saves us in a long way from a possible bastard that may become our governor, keeps Nigerian money in nigeria, reduces pressure on our forex, improves the quality of our schools and so many other ways too numerous to mention. Even keeping our scholars here.

The same scenario is played out in so many other facets of the Nigerian society;
Agriculture subsidized
Education subsidized
Electricity subsidized
Petrol subsidized
How many of those industries are working even averagely? None
You will notice that telecommunication is averagely okay and its not subsidized.

Quality education is not cheap. If you want it, you have to pay with your money or your hardwork.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 28, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Its a tough decision.

Our people are too emotional about these things. THE STATE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO SEND EVERY WILLING INDIVIDUAL TO UNIVERSITY, a qualitative one at that. If you don’t have money, you have to bring something of value, your talent in this case. If you don’t have that either, too bad for you. Then find something else to do. Go to vocational school, technical school and learn something. Life continues. You may even earn enough to learn later like Dangote. As simple as that.

The schools are so poorly funded that its impossible for them to measure up to their counterparts all over the world and the major reason they are TOO subsidized. Every time they need to run to government, sometimes useless and incompetent government like the FG, for anything they need. Look at the just removed governments in Ogun, Oyo and Osun. These bastards nearly ran state universities aground. Can you remember the fight between Akala and Oyin over LAUTECH? For how long are we going to continue like that? Is it not better to minimize these guys’ impact in our lives for good.

Every year only God knows how much money leaves Nigeria because people want to pursue quality education, which is their right anyway. A very quick estimate will show you that it can’t be less than $15million every year putting further pressure on our foreign exchange. Why can’t we save a lot of trouble by going the way of people who have done it before and have been successful, by making people pay for the service so that the process is sustainable.

Encourages hardwork on the part of the students and the faculties, saves us in a long way from a possible bastard that may become our governor, keeps Nigerian money in nigeria, reduces pressure on our forex, improves the quality of our schools and so many other ways too numerous to mention. Even keeping our scholars here.

The same scenario is played out in so many other facets of the Nigerian society;
Agriculture subsidized
Education subsidized
Electricity subsidized
Petrol subsidized
You will notice that telecommunication is averagely okay and its not subsidized.

Quality education is not cheap. If you want it, you have to pay with your money or your hardwork.

i think you basically hit the nail on the head. if they cant go to universities then polytechnics, vocational and technical schools will come in handy. it will also help to improve the standards of those polys. Where i am, the technical schools cost even more than the universities in most cases and the skills you learn can not be compared. doing two years diploma in a technical school is enough to get a candidate a good job or even start up their business. And most courses offered in these schools (unis and technical) are driven by industry hence you're sure that you'll end up practicing what you study.

kalokalo:

GBAM! I could not have said it better. The same 'poor' people complaining are the same ones that would work for several years, save up money and then go abroad (including Ghana) to spend millions on additional foreign degrees. Yet they would riot if asked to pay something worthwhile in Nigeria. They desire world-class education in Naija for free or peanuts. They are jokers! They condemn private unis charging a few hundred thousand naira but they have no problem paying with their blood for masters degree in foreign public universities.

Going to a public university in a serious minded country like Ghana will cost you nothing less than 2 million naira equivalent per annum which their citizens pay without social unrest. Yet we complain that they have better quality than Naija. Why wont they be better? How will our graduates compete with theirs? You will always get what you pay for. If you want better, go to a private uni or go abroad. Either way, you will pay!

Btw, I support scholarships and need based financial aid for indigent students who must maintain that aid by maintaining a minimum (high) GPA. If you are poor and you want to go to uni for free, then you must be willing to apply yourself and justify taxpayer funds spent to give you higher education. It should be a privilege, not a right!

you're very right. it's time things changed. Ghana doesn't even spare Nigerian 'international students', and the pay is in dollars so you can imagine why their unis are still much better.

All this in retrospect will help to improve education quality: better lecturers and profs, improved facilities, quality research, students who are willing to learn and not just going through the uni just to hav a degree as the system will flush you out, more jobs, etc, etc
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by ektbear: 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Our people are too emotional about these things. THE STATE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO SEND EVERY WILLING INDIVIDUAL TO UNIVERSITY, a qualitative one at that.

There is no state even in frikkin America that can afford that. Not to talk of Lagos.

State schools in the US, many of them use out of state students/dumb students paying full price to subsidize costs. There is no way on earth their budget will allow everyone to go to university for basically free.

It doesn't make sense to demand free or heavily subsidized university. It isn't part of the minimum basket of goods a society owes to its members. Primary and secondary, yes. University, no. Uni just costs too much damn money
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by gascoign1(m): 10:29pm On Oct 28, 2011
This is just too much,is this is the ACTION they promise us
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Akanbiedu(m): 11:32pm On Oct 28, 2011
If you want know how bad subsidy is

Ask a first class accounting graduate how much his undergraduate education in Nigeria is worth. 99% can’t tell. These guys are not even aware government is spending a lot on them. That’s why ignorance is so much. You hear them saying “I have never benefitted anything from the government in my life” and a more recent common fallacy; “petrol subsidy is the only thing Nigerian masses are enjoying from the government” etc Meanwhile is primary and secondary education is almost free, he is not aware that another country can invade his country and kill him or even take away his precious OIL, he is not aware that his government pays huge some of money to subsidize fertilizer (which never gets to farmers anyway), he is not aware that his electricity is subsidized, he is not even aware that his govt subsidizes pilgrimage; all because he didn’t pay for his low-quality education.

Let that same graduate go to an American university for postgraduate studies even on scholarship, he will be able to tell you, without much thinking, at least an estimate. Thats a very big difference, he would value that degree more even if he didnt pay. Because he knows the worth.

That is the reason we have so many e-d-i-o-t-s are running Nigeria now. They got practically everything free of charge in their time. One was even wondering what to do with nigerian money at a time because it was too much. All them OBJ and his useless set chop our chiken free of charge. This is the reason they have no real sense of economy.

Tell me why you’d keep $5billion in an account just looking at it? Can Dangote or Adenuga or Elumelu do that? Will that money not be keeping a lot of ignorant people busy even some of the cretins on this website.

If an Ekiti boy like that jmaine knew the worth of money, will he be asking Ekiti to educate Delta indigenes even though Delta is richer than Ekiti?
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Ferdinandu(m): 2:34am On Oct 29, 2011
How much is the average Civil servant salary in lagos? How do u expect a Civil servant with 2 wards and barely 250000 PA to sustain the children in school and keep the family going.Is He going to steal govt money, go for armed Robbery or what?.As we try to model our education like those of US, UK etc,we should try to remember that average income in these countries is 10 times more than that of Nigeria. Fashola is completely wrong on this. If I am still a Student i will burn down Lagos before I will allow this to stay. This is Tyranny period!!!
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Akanbiedu(m): 2:45am On Oct 29, 2011
Ferdinandu:

How much is the average Civil servant salary in lagos? How do u expect a Civil servant with 2 wards and barely 250000 PA to sustain the children in school and keep the family going.Is He going to steal govt money, go for armed Robbery or what?.As we try to model our education like those of US, UK etc,we should try to remember that average income in these countries is 10 times more than that of Nigeria. Fashola is completely wrong on this. If I am still a Student i will burn down Lagos before I will allow this to stay. This is Tyranny period!!!

If the civil servant works for Lagos, there should be some form of concession for a (or a predetermined number by the state) child at a time. After that no more, its not compulsory for you to have 3 children if you can not cater for them to your desire. simple as that.

do you think if a civil servant has 10 children, the state should send them to school?
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Akanbiedu(m): 2:56am On Oct 29, 2011
http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=109:101

{mosimage}[size=18pt]Nigerians Spend N137B to Study in UK, US Varsities
Foreign universities are profiting from Nigeria‘s ill-equipped institutions as Nigerian youths paid whopping sums as tuition to British and American universities in the last two years, JAMES AZANIA reports[/size]

about a billion dollars in just two years!

Imagine the damage to our economy and our future.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Zenani: 7:12am On Oct 29, 2011
I believed in this beautiful country but i think i have lost it. I have studied its roots and gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution. I have marveled at the wisdom of its founders and framers. Generation after generation of Nigerians has understood the lofty ideals that underlie our great Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their sacrifice and their strength, the likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, etc.

But, today I weep for my country.Education is no more the source of getting out of poverty for the less previledged, I have watched the events of recent months with a heavy, heavy heart, how can , 25,00000 to 250,000, this is the height, the truth is that our leaders do not care about the poor masses,
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 29, 2011
i can tell you what will happen, if the unrealistic school fees are not adressed.

fine, students will pay n25,000 in school fees and they will recieve a degree which in reality is nothing more than a certificate of attendance

they will then come back to nl to biatch about discrimination against lasu grads in the labor market. already, i am seeing the trend at work.

70% of the new hires are from covenant etal. and small wonder. our federal and state schools are so backward. . .i have a very bright it student from uniben , who has never worked with autocad before he came to our company, who has never worked with a computer but was "taught" C++. how will such a person be able to compete against grads of convenant or ghana universities who are taught with up to date methods etal?

the evil day is simply being put off. 90% of the lsu grads will come out and find they are unemployable because what they were taught is of no use in today's society. the really bright or lucky ones will get a pass, but that is where it will end.

its sad, but you need to com to terms with the fact that tertiary education i not for everyone. its for those who can pay. i have pointed out before that in the west, people start saving for their kids education from day 1. anyway, all is not lost. you dont want a quality education, there are always cheaper schools that are even worse.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by asha80(m): 7:35am On Oct 29, 2011
oyb:

i can tell you what will happen, if the unrealistic school fees are not adressed.

fine, students will pay n25,000 in school fees and they will recieve a degree which in reality is nothing more than a certificate of attendance

they will then come back to nl to biatch about discrimination against lasu grads in the labor market. already, i am seeing the trend at work.

70% of the new hires are from covenant etal. and small wonder. our federal and state schools are so backward. . .i have a very bright it student from uniben , who has never worked with autocad before he came to our company, who has never worked with a computer but was "taught" C++. how will such a person be able to compete against grads of convenant or ghana universities who are taught with up to date methods etal?

the evil day is simply being put off. 90% of the lsu grads will come out and find they are unemployable because what they were taught is of no use in today's society. the really bright or lucky ones will get a pass, but that is where it will end.

its sad, but you need to com to terms with the fact that tertiary education i not for everyone. its for those who can pay. i have pointed out before that in the west, people start saving for their kids education from day 1. anyway, all is not lost. you dont want a quality education, there are always cheaper schools that are even worse.

does increase in fees in nigeria automatically mean increase in facilities and infrastructure in the school hence better quality education?
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 29, 2011
asha 80:

does increase in fees in nigeria automatically mean increase in facilities and infrastructure in the school hence better quality education?

that is what one has to take the govt to task on

but go on like this, and 90% of those students will have paper certificates.

i was an autodesk seminar in lagos. they were showing architectural models built by students. none of the students was fro nigeria. a fellow with me from CU told me about how a group of CU architecture students won a design competition for an Ogun state govt facility. ahead of architectural firms.

i will just take it from  design perspective. cad programs cost thousands of dollars. so do cad workstations. drawing boards and paper are much cheaper, and completely out of date. a student without any form of cad background will be at an extreme disadvantage if he/she is chasing employment with peole from schools where this is the norm. whenever it students/youth corpers come on board and tell me - i want to learn this or that my first question is always - do you have money? if so go and get the best laptop you can afford. well funded schools where as you pointed out, the funds are administered correctly will have infrastructure like this in place.

anyway, its fashola, so i expect there will be an accounting for the funds spent.

we can always throw up our hands  and go with the flow and produce graduates who are only fit to be security guards
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by LloydAchi(m): 8:13am On Oct 29, 2011
kalokalo:

Akanbi_edu:

Its a tough decision.

Agriculture subsidized
Education subsidized
Electricity subsidized
Petrol subsidized

Gentlemen, if it was GEJ that increased this now, you all will cry BLUE MURDER. Because it's FASHOLA now, its OK. Hypocrites.

Just the way we are saying NO to removal of fuel subsidy, we will say NO to this errant nonsense.
These small benefits are the only thing the common man gets from our government. If every common man can go to Ghana to school, will Accra enter us? Rubbish. You guys don't realize that there are tons of ordinary people trying to get by. You think its everybody that has money to travel abroad. Because you have the opportunity, nobody will hear something. Nonsense.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 29, 2011
Lloyd Achi:

Gentlemen, if it was GEJ that increased this now, you all will cry BLUE MURDER. Because it's FASHOLA now, its OK. Hypocrites.

Just the way we are saying NO to removal of fuel subsidy, we will say NO to this errant nonsense.
These small benefits are the only thing the common man gets from our government. If every common man can go to Ghana to school, will Accra enter us? Rubbish. You guys don't realize that there are tons of ordinary people trying to get by. You think its everybody that has money to travel abroad. Because you have the opportunity, nobody will hear something. Nonsense.

if fashola was president, i doubt there would be the opposition to the 'subsidy' removal that there is now. the man has a proven track record. don't turn this into fashola vs gej, a man who cannot even turn up at an international conference.

you need to come to terms with the fact that a quality education is not cheap sadly, so many nigerians are only interested in a paper certificate, and not actual skills. they have no problem with spending four years in an institution and coming out knowing as little as they did when they went in.

they will then begin to NaughtyWoman about how better educated kids from other schools have 'connections'. you will find that only the future first class grads from  LASU will get good jobs, because employers believe they can fill in the gaps. the rest will be a lost cause.

i have someone who i was considering sending to LASU. with the new fees, i will have to reconsider and ask myself the question so many posters do not want to ask - will a tertiary education be a wasted investment on the person in question? i have relatives who my dad sent to university. sadly for 90% of them it was a complete waste of money. this will force people to ask themsleves some hard questions. it will also cut down to  large extent on cultism. the number of neerdowells in a school will reduce if school costs money. there were some cult boys next to my room in school - if we were paying n250k, those boys would never have seen the four walls of a uni. then after i left cultism got big in unilorin because some cultists expelled from ekpoma came to unilorin. do you think a parent would continue bto waste money on a lost cause if it was costing an arm and a leg?

i can still remember nysc - some of the characters i met made me wonder about nigerian education. people who saw me reading novels and said u never read book finish for school? these are the kind of characters being churned out by our overly cheap education. you always get what you pay for.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Rhino5dm: 8:39am On Oct 29, 2011
Fashola goofed on this one IMO.

I understand the needs to provide qualitative education, as it is evident in the ways half baked graduates are pouring in to labour market without basic understanding of their majors.

There should be a respite for those already in the system, in that the, full implimentation should start with new students. This IMO, will give those coming in the choice to make considering the school fees.

The students in the system should be giving a waiver or automatic tuitions exemptions. I see it as a wickedness to allow any individual drop out, after putting in efforts and wasted resouces for years. I hate changing the rules at the middle of the game.

They should think through my points. Please.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by ektbear: 8:45am On Oct 29, 2011
Another thing to keep in mind is that it isn't LASU alone that exists in Nigeria.

If you cannot afford LASU, perhaps you can afford a school somewhere else. . . e.g. Ekiti State University. Probably not as good quality-wise as LASU, but perhaps more affordable.

Under the assumption that admission into LASU implies a reasonable chance of getting admitted into some cheaper schools elsewhere in the SW (perhaps an incorrect assumption. Someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong), then it isn't as if it is LASU or bust.

Rhino.5dm:

Fashola goofed on this one IMO.

I understand the needs to provide qualitative education, as it is evident in the ways half baked graduates are pouring in to labour market without basic understanding of their majors.

There should be a respite for those already in the system, in that the, full implimentation should start with new students. This IMO, will give those coming in the choice to make considering the school fees.

The students in the system should be giving a waiver or automatic tuitions exemptions. I see it as a wickedness to allow any individual drop out, after putting in efforts and wasted resouces for years. I hate changing the rules at the middle of the game.

They should think through my points. Please.

100% agreed. Changing the rules in the middle of the game isn't quite fair. People should be able to budget and say to themselves, "if my son is admitted, then I'll need to save up and pay X over the 4 years of his program."
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 29, 2011
i agree , though i suspect this has been in the works for sometime, and that the student body was fully aware of it but was hoping it would all 'blow over'

90% of govt announcements come to naught - so much for all the sim registration deadline noise.

that may have been the mentality with which they were looking at it; nothing will happen.

no matter how it was implemented, there would have been resistance

the newcomers would have called it discrimination etal - why should we pay more than those before us

there is no nice way to do this
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by LloydAchi(m): 9:20am On Oct 29, 2011
oyb:

don't turn this into fashola vs gej, a man who cannot even turn up at an international conference.

i have someone who i was considering sending to LASU. with the new fees, i will have to reconsider and ask myself the question so many posters do not want to ask - will a tertiary education be a wasted investment on the person in question? i have relatives who my dad sent to university. sadly for 90% of them it was a complete waste of money. this will force people to ask themsleves some hard questions. it will also cut down to  large extent on cultism. the number of neerdowells in a school will reduce if school costs money. there were some cult boys next to my room in school - if we were paying n250k, those boys would never have seen the four walls of a uni. then after i left cultism got big in unilorin because some cultists expelled from ekpoma came to unilorin. do you think a parent would continue bto waste money on a lost cause if it was costing an arm and a leg?

This is not about GEJ and Fashola. What I hate is double standard. What is wrong is wrong. If you guys cry about anything GEJ does, you must also cry about any Goof Fashola comes with, and don't even give me that ruse about track record ok.
I attended University in Nigeria with all the big boys children in the government then. Their parents where either one minister or one governor. There was no difference. Because they had money did not make any difference. In fact they were the more arrogant, spoiled brats that were in cults and what not. Being bad is not about who has money or not. In FUT Mx, we had a good education back then and we didn't spend much. Today I have a job, a family and I am doing ok.
Talking about affording education, I remember when OBJ said that education was not for the poor, he received a backlash from everybody in Nigeria especially the Yorubas. They were talking about how Awo helped them with his free education. But today you are changing the story because its Fashola. HE IS WRONG.
As I said earlier, "Cheap" education is what the common man can get from the government. So don't even go there. No to subsidy removal and No to unusual increase in tuition fee.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by PHIPEX(m): 9:40am On Oct 29, 2011
The level of hypocrisy in this country is great, I am a fan of fashola but not in this one. I remember how the public cried out against this similar thing when it happened in UNN about two yrs ago for "just" about 100% increase in tuition fees. How will consumers of bread in Nigeria (since its a basic commodity) react if the govt removes the subsidy on fertilizer and cause the price of Bread to increase to about 300% of its current price. Then you will hear some of us crying out that its only the poor that consume bread.
Yes there may be need to increase the tuition fee but why to such an exobitant price. I wish he also increase the price we pay for BRT so that I will see how we will react. This is a bad public policy because it is not in the interest of the majority. I will assume that for a 900% increase in price of the tuition fee, there will be about a 1000% drop in the demand for tertiary education in the school and I wonder in whose interest that will be.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by ektbear: 9:42am On Oct 29, 2011
Part of the problem is that many of you just don't understand that free (or heavily subsidized) university education simply is not affordable (assuming you want quality.) Not even in yankee, not to talk of Lagos.

Awolowo's policies and legacies were good, but they didn't include free university for all. They didn't even include free and mandatory secondary school for all (correct me if I am mistaken, of course! I thought it was primary and a portion of secondary. But I may have misread.)

Free and mandatory primary/secondary school is desirable and part of what a society owes its people. University is not.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by ektbear: 9:45am On Oct 29, 2011
Awo's policies, also remember that he didn't just declare them w/o having the economic/fiscal might to back it up.

Western Region was +50% wealthier per capita than either of the other two regions at the time. The same free education which Awo declared in the West, they tried something similar in the East and it failed.

So we need to be careful with these references to what Awo accomplished. Awo was not the type of man (at least based on the biographies I have read of him) to go for cheap populist moves without the CASH to back it up and do it properly.
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by luvola(m): 9:55am On Oct 29, 2011
d hike in tuition fees is unjustifiable because d neccessary infrastructure has not been fully put in place. although some upgrading of faculty are already in progress including d ongoing science faculty
construction,d recent commission of fac of social science but d increase ought to be gradual . also,it amazed me when people says lasu students are not serious,u will read like hell for u to have 2.1 talkless of 1st class.2.1 in lasu = 1/1 in unilag
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2011
A 25 grand tuition fee = £100. shocked

Even if 250k is a bit too much for students, we need to know quality education comes at a price.

How would you compare your £100 a year degree to say a £3500 UK degree?
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by jmaine: 5:28pm On Oct 29, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

If an Ekiti boy like that jmaine knew the worth of money, will he be asking Ekiti to educate Delta indigenes even though Delta is richer than Ekiti?

ISo because am from Ekiti State, i must buy into your hilarious ideology that Discriminatory policies is a sign of good governance . . . and you even blundered by equating it with the Lagos State tax payment enforcement rule that wards must present a tax clearance from their guardains before they enjoy the free education benefits.  A regulaion that is not in itself biased along discriminate along indigenous rule

Now back to the topic

Am a proponent of quality education . . .and quality education requires funding . . .if one must get quality, one must be ready to pay . . . The Lagos state Government decision to increase the school fees is understandable, which is to make the school administration and management more productive . . . But the shock and abrupt manner of increase is what is generating the out cry . . .and the students who are crying foul to this sudden change are correct in their stance cos there was no window period for them to adjust to the sharp increase. . . The high percentage increase in school fees within a short period was unfair to the students . . . A graded increase in tuition would have been a more preferable option . . .

No matter how you want to debate this . . .both sides are correct to some extent . . .it was just the implementation process that seemed a harsh decision by the State Government . . . . This debacle can be solved through a mutual compromise by both parties involved which are the students and the government . . . .

and btw, Akanbi . . .Never you try to use my state of origin as a blackmail tool . . .i don't do blind support . . .
Re: LASU Students Protest The Increment Of Fees From N25,000 To N250,000 by luvola(m): 5:32pm On Oct 29, 2011
@ se - what of federal universities that pay less than 10,000k per year.moreover d new tuition fees depend on d dept. fac of art/edu are to pay 195k,social sci/mgt sci = 248,750 ,engineering/law = 280,000, sch of medicine @ ikeja which is one of d best in d country and has d best hostel wil pay #375,750

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Waec Time Table / Any Info On Adekunle Ajasin University Admission List / Affordable Good Private Secondary School With Boarding In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.