Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? (11829 Views)

Realities Of Retirement. / Mass Retirement Of Senior NDDC Staff Looms / Retirement In Nigeria: How Much Does One Need To Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Darevofpeace(m): 11:11am On Nov 15, 2023
I am so sick to my stomach!

*A 73-year old woman's statistics:*

She was a UNTH nurse and retired since 2007.

1. Widowed in 1999.
2. Gave birth to 6 children with 5 surviving *_(4 boys and a girl)_*
3. Her husband was a retired Principal
4. Her only daughter lives in Lagos *_( in a bad marriage since her husband doesn't allow her to bring her mum over)_*
5. Her three sons live abroad. The only son in Nigeria lives in Enugu and his wife pays her a visit on Sundays but stopped for reasons not revealed.
6. Her only sister, who is older than her but still strong in health, visited and found her in a bad state and decided to take her with her to her Umuahia home.

She had signs of dementia. She also suffers from diabetes and weak bladder. So, the urine smell complained by people is well understood.

Her only elder sister took care of her since her arrival till her sister's son had accident in Abuja and was left for neighbours to attend to her.
The sister's neighbour left her and travelled.

*_Mama was found dead close to an open fridge. Her corpse has been deposited in a morgue this morning._*

Her first son is a medical doctor in America, married to a Brazilian and only called once in a while after her mum was moved to Umuahia by her sister and kids.

Mama is not childless.

She raised all her kids and they're all professionals.

Money was not an issue. Her husband, though a principal, built a bungalow where Mama and her kids lived till her death.

Mama's sister said her only daughter has only called twice since she came to Enugu and picked her younger sister with her.

Mama's senior sister wants to bury her Junior sister on her own and mourn her quietly !!

*_Her kids are now back crying and saying they will give their mother a befitting burial._*

I wanted to call them out & curse them.

I am in pains.

My heart is heavy.

*_A woman that raised five children should not have suffered like this._*

While you're popping kids, remember that one day......

- The bones and muscles will be WEAK..
- The eyes might lose their functions
- The bladder might be weak and you cannot control your urine.
- Cash flow will cease.
- Your legs won't be able to carry your weight.
- Your hands might not hold things due to parkinson or rheumatism or any of the other numerous infirmities
- Your mouth may be smelling because you cannot brush it well.
- Your brain might stop functioning.
- Dementia and loss of memory can set in.
- *_You may not even be able to take care of your personal hygiene..._*

It is called OLD AGE characteristics.

*_Life can be harsh and your children may be too busy with their lives that your care will be relegated to STRANGERS._*

*Children are NOT retirement benefits.*

*_Old age is a reality !_*
*Prepare for that time.*
*Take care of your health.*

*Be armed !*

*_Learn this big lesson Today !_*

Thank you.

*Copied*

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Figger(m): 11:59am On Nov 15, 2023
Old age can be scary, to those praying to leave long, life can be so miserable at that stage. Me I want to go at 75, nothing dey this life.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by PoliteActivist: 12:58pm On Nov 15, 2023
Retirement plan as in? Meaning what exactly?
Life is not that logical nor is it mathematics, it has no formula. What worked for others may not work for you, and vice versa.
Make your own plan , if it works for you kudos , if it doesn’t, that's life - take it in stride.
Anybody can kpai anytime.
Conversely, scientists may come up with something whereby people live to 1000 as in Methuselah days.
On the other hand one nuclear bomb or natural disaster can wipe us all out at once - so much for our self-importance!😅
All in all, advisable to follow the advice in my signature

5 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by FuckingMachine: 12:58pm On Nov 15, 2023
This poverty mentality is why Nigeria is a mess.
Poor man has 7 children contributing nothing to society.

You are supposed to make enough money in your youth to retire on.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by owiko(m): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
R
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by gunners160(m): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
The topic and the message are two different things. Mama this and mama that , please don't blame the children completely. We are in a busy world right now were verybody is struggling to survive.
You wi have 500k today and next week you are looking for a friend to borrow you 5k to buy food. We all pay bills everyday..The only fault the children had was not getting r a house help..

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by simplepee(f): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
You guys don’t get tired of this topic, year in year out.

There’s nothing wrong when a parent suffered to raise their kids; birth them, cloth them, train them and do everything to see them attain the point of independence and then expect to be taken care of by these children. It doesn’t even have to be your parents, it is proper to show gratitude to whoever took care of you.

It is only a demonic child that will have and not give to the people that sacrificed their comfort for his/her well being.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by samuelson06(m): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
I don't really have a problem with children being their parent's retirement plan. The design is that children should take care of their aged parents and I don't see anything wrong with that. Where I seriously have a problem is when parents don't invest in their children to become successful in life and simply focus on making more children and by God's grace one of the children escapes poverty with little or no contribution from the parents, then you see them coming to lay claims of the child and complaining to the world how the child has abandoned them.

For God's sake, this is a child that suffered so much and alone to become successful and instead of you allowing the child to begin investing in their future and family and stamp out poverty in their own lineage, you are coming to complain about negligence. Must everyone be poor in the family?

From my observation in Nigeria, poor parents don't care about their children. They don't even pray for them to succeed. All they are interested about is what they can get from the children because they feel it's the children's responsibility to take care of them. They don't care about lifting even one to escape poverty in the family so in future, that one can also save others. They care only about themselves. They don't care about the endemic poverty in the family.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Olarewaju89: 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
Yes

Those children are wicked.

7 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by EnglishUsa: 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
G
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by tosyne2much(m): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
Figger:
Old age can be scary, to those praying to leave long, life can be so miserable at that stage. Me I want to go at 75, nothing dey this life.
For me, anything from 80 is okay
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Enemyofpeace: 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
Yes now. Bi okete ba dagba tan omu omo re lo nmu. Mynd44 please translate for me.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by eepeepook: 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2023
Nothing dey Nairaland today. Rehashed topics everywhere. Na to burn some hours using sleep then return in the hope of seeing something interesting.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by maxiuc(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2023
cheesy

Very very bad idea oOoOO

I have one in-law married to my senior cousin sister though when he was seeing money he invested in property but the amount he spent training his children was far more than the amount he invested in properties today children don finish school there is no job there's no money coming the man is old and can't hustle anymore now all those properties he bought he started selling them one by one in other to take care of himself because by the time his children will start making money he fit don die...

Don't go and put your children in schools meant for otedola children when you are earning like young duu
Don't training your children make sure you are not shortchanging yourself because your children also have their own life to live

Don't forget to invest for your old age

18 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by EtinosaDLaw(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2023
Yes
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by phemmyfour: 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2023
Darevofpeace:

I am so sick to my stomach!

*A 73-year old woman's statistics:*

She was a UNTH nurse and retired since 2007.

1. Widowed in 1999.
2. Gave birth to 6 children with 5 surviving *_(4 boys and a girl)_*
3. Her husband was a retired Principal
4. Her only daughter lives in Lagos *_( in a bad marriage since her husband doesn't allow her to bring her mum over)_*
5. Her three sons live abroad. The only son in Nigeria lives in Enugu and his wife pays her a visit on Sundays but stopped for reasons not revealed.
6. Her only sister, who is older than her but still strong in health, visited and found her in a bad state and decided to take her with her to her Umuahia home.

She had signs of dementia. She also suffers from diabetes and weak bladder. So, the urine smell complained by people is well understood.

Her only elder sister took care of her since her arrival till her sister's son had accident in Abuja and was left for neighbours to attend to her.
The sister's neighbour left her and travelled.

*_Mama was found dead close to an open fridge. Her corpse has been deposited in a morgue this morning._*

Her first son is a medical doctor in America, married to a Brazilian and only called once in a while after her mum was moved to Umuahia by her sister and kids.

Mama is not childless.

She raised all her kids and they're all professionals.

Money was not an issue. Her husband, though a principal, built a bungalow where Mama and her kids lived till her death.

Mama's sister said her only daughter has only called twice since she came to Enugu and picked her younger sister with her.

Mama's senior sister wants to bury her Junior sister on her own and mourn her quietly !!

*_Her kids are now back crying and saying they will give their mother a befitting burial._*

I wanted to call them out & curse them.

I am in pains.

My heart is heavy.

*_A woman that raised five children should not have suffered like this._*

While you're popping kids, remember that one day......

- The bones and muscles will be WEAK..
- The eyes might lose their functions
- The bladder might be weak and you cannot control your urine.
- Cash flow will cease.
- Your legs won't be able to carry your weight.
- Your hands might not hold things due to parkinson or rheumatism or any of the other numerous infirmities
- Your mouth may be smelling because you cannot brush it well.
- Your brain might stop functioning.
- Dementia and loss of memory can set in.
- *_You may not even be able to take care of your personal hygiene..._*

It is called OLD AGE characteristics.

*_Life can be harsh and your children may be too busy with their lives that your care will be relegated to STRANGERS._*

*Children are NOT retirement benefits.*

*_Old age is a reality !_*
*Prepare for that time.*
*Take care of your health.*

*Be armed !*

*_Learn this big lesson Today !_*

Thank you.

*Copied*
No
Prov 13:22
A good man (parents) leaves inheritance for his children

10 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by iammo(m): 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2023
cool

Yes

Human capital investment is better than financial investment

If you are too busy then get an house help, or use the care home

If the parents have 4 kids and they contribute 10k monthly, it's still something

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by GoodRocks: 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2023
Damn!

OP, if you're not your parents retirement plan, is it when they're dead you'll now rush to buy cow and bags of rice for their funeral ?

3 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Godada(m): 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2023
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by ednut1(m): 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2023
Many parents that made their children retirement plans are financially better than those kids today. Money never reach for pikin to chop you wan retire for them head lol

7 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by XtraFortunes: 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
embarassed
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by crossfm: 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
This is a pure case of negligence and failure on the part of the useless children.

They failed their mother.

They must not be around to take good care of their mother,they can hire people and supervise them. With technology around these days,they can easily monitor her progress.

I know of an old woman,who has more than three nurses attending to her.

They can pretend to cry,but their conscience will always remind them of their failure.

I summit that children and loved ones is always a better retirement plan.

Let the responsible ones take good care of their parents and feel at peace when their parents eventually pass on.

And as for the irresponsible ones, continue to gallivant around giving flimsy excuses why you aren't taking care of your parents. Just remember that we will all grow old if death don't come calling early.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Padipadi(m): 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
No!

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by onadana: 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
It's a product of life style and environment.In western countries people live up to 90years they stay alone and still drive themselves...if need be they check into an old people's home But here in Nigeria, entitlement mentality reins supreme.

4 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Tboymessiah(m): 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
NasoLifeBe!!!
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Resetinc: 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
all this over-sabi planning na nonsense
Life is not mathematics, it has no formula. What worked for others may not work for you, and vice versa.
Make your own plan , if it works for you u kudos , if it doesn’t so be it…

A 75yr old can live for the next 10yrs, while a 21yr old can be hit/killed by a bus tomorrow

one natural disaster can wipe everyone out.

Be happy guys , enjoy every moment.. 😎

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Enemyofpeace: 1:02pm On Nov 15, 2023
Figger:
you plan to go at 75 because you no get money. If you're rich and wealthy like us, you won't like to die self. Death no go hungry you at all.

2 Likes

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by diamond68: 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
cheesy its JAPA that destroyed the cohesive unit of that family . plain and simple. THE CURSE OF JAPA

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by BigBlackPreek(m): 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
Eyah it is well oh
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by CondemnBattery(f): 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
No.
But there's nothing wrong in taking care of your aged parents.
Abi if you don't care for them, who will?

In all let us just pray for Gods blessings, so that we will not be asking social media if children should be their parents retired plan.

Same guys that wont take care of their parents will be the ones to give an ashawo 30k just to cum

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by seandurse(m): 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
This reminds me of Banky W calling wiz and skalez his retirement plan in one headies award back in days. Dem shock the guy las Las

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by jmoore(m): 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
Parents should leave wealth that even their grand children will inherit.

It is an error to intentionally make your children as your retirement plan.

Secondly, companion is good. Not every child will have time to come and stay with you or visit frequently.

Hire a maid to stay with you when the kids have gone to their own families.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Finally, Michael Okpara University Of Agric, Umudike , Sacks 460 Staff / 150 Sacked At Enterprise Bank / Is It Unprofessional To Use Whatsapp For Official/business Calls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.