Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry (578 Views)

Can I Go For An Msc. (chemistry) With A Bsc.(ed) In Chemistry Education? / 200 Level Students Of Unilag Lament Massive Failure In Chemistry Dpt.(see RESULT / Law And Mass Communication: Which One Has More Job Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 9:36am On Nov 18, 2023
The atomic number is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom.

The mass number is defined as the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom.

Atomic number=Mass number/2

mass number= Atomic number ×2

If the value is odd you add 1 after multiplication by 2

2 Likes

Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 10:40am On Nov 18, 2023
It doesn't work everytime and I made it for only the first 20 element because chemistry students can't cram the whole elements with mass number or atomic number . This was made with the exception of hydrogen.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 12:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
I was thinking about how an atom split into basically 2 atoms during nuclear fission and when two atoms combine together during nuclear fussion the idea comes into my mind.

1 Like

Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
⁴⁰X has a mass number 40 find the atomic number and neutron ?

From the formula

Atomic number=Mass number/2
=40/2=20

The element is calcium

E=P=A

M=P+N
N=M-P
=40-20 =20

1 Like

Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by CJStarz: 6:19pm On Nov 18, 2023
Alphabyte2:
It doesn't work everytime and I made it for only the first 20 element because chemistry students can't cram the whole elements with mass number or atomic number . This was made with the exception of hydrogen.

You're very correct.
Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 6:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
CJStarz:

You're very correct.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by rtdCivilservant: 9:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
There is nothing new in what u said, though it may appear to be a short cut method, but ur assumption here is that the number or Proton of an element is always equal the number of neutron, but between u and I, u know this is not always the case
Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 9:27pm On Nov 18, 2023
rtdCivilservant:
There is nothing new in what u said, though it may appear to be a short cut method, but ur assumption here is that the number or Proton of an element is always equal the number of neutron, but between u and I, u know this is not always the case
Electron, protons and Atomic number are equal they change due to valence electrons.
The short formula don't work in all scenario but it is closer to the actual value.
Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 9:37pm On Nov 18, 2023
An ³⁵Y with mass number 35 find atomic number and neutron
Atomic number= Mass number/2

A= 35/2 =17
The element is Chlorine
E=P=A

N=M-P
N=35-17=18
Re: New way To Get Atomic Number And Mass Number In Chemistry by Alphabyte2: 12:47pm On Dec 02, 2023
Proof if it is an even number you live it like that but if it is odd number you add one after multiplication by 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hMP45xgkQ4?si=Z8fHMJyTqqLRAxq2

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander Graduates With A Distinction From A UK University! / Can We Please Rank Our Nigerian Universities Top 10 And Your Reasons / Gmat Course Ware Paticularly For The Verbal & Analytical Writng Pls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.