Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,602 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo (24356 Views)

Muhammad Sanusi: Nigerians Selling Votes, INEC, Police Not Neutral / Awka On Fire: INEC, Police Offices Attacked By Unknown Gunmen / INEC Verdict: We Have Not Declared That Senator Akpabio Has Lost Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Thonyboy: 7:19am On Nov 21, 2023
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has recalled how a political party, the Peoples Democratic Party he belonged to in 1998 lost a local government election in Ogun State because he rejected plans to bribe the police and personnel of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Obasanjo said party leaders had told him that there should be money allocated for the police and INEC, saying he rejected the proposal on the belief that INEC officials and policemen are government workers earning salaries monthly.

The former President spoke in Abeokuta on Monday at a high-level consultation he organised on ‘Rethinking Western Liberal Democracy in Africa’.

The African leader had told politicians and professors at the debate that he is not always comfortable with the phrase, ‘Nigerian factor’, when discussing democracy and other issues affecting development.

According to him, he came across the ‘Nigerian factor’ slang when the nation held the first local government election and his party lost because politicians said be refused to take cognisance of the Nigerian factor while planning for the election.

“When things go wrong, you said the Nigerian factor. The first thing I learnt in politics was this thing called the Nigerian factor.

“In 1998, we had the first local government election. We had parties, and here in Abeokuta, we met in my office and they came up and said, ‘look, this is money for INEC, money for police.’ At a stage I said, ‘what nonsense! Is the police not being paid, and INEC too?’

“They said ‘that’s how we do it. I said ‘you cannot do that.’ So, they didn’t do that. And of course, we lost all the local governments. We lost all. And then they came to me and said, ‘Baba, you see? If you had allowed us to do it the way we used to do it, we would have won’. And I felt guilty.

“During the next election, which was the State Assembly, I just stayed in my house. I said ‘well, do whatever you want to do, I will not be part of it’. So, I didn’t even go. But, the result was the same. One of the people who got money didn’t even distribute it to where he was supposed to distribute it,” Obasanjo recounted.

The octogenarian emphasised that the Western liberal democracy being practised in Africa has not really taken human nature and the African situation into full account.

While saying it is time to be realistic, the Balogun of Owu said a hungry person will sell his vote for just N1000.

“When you are hungry, whatever anybody tells you cannot go in. Poverty is a great enemy of democracy. Ignorance or lack of education is a great enemy of democracy. And we seem to be deliberately fomenting poverty and lack of education,” he stated.

https://.ng/2023/11/21/how-we-lost-election-for-not-bribing-inec-police-obasanjo/

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Ikaeniyan0: 7:22am On Nov 21, 2023
Obasanjo should not be the man that will be complaining about election rigging

183 Likes 23 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Osoboshi: 7:22am On Nov 21, 2023
Another repentant criminal

74 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by TemplarLandry: 7:23am On Nov 21, 2023
cool
Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by YorubaDemonswag: 7:26am On Nov 21, 2023
Obasanjo party can never win in South west

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Afamed: 7:27am On Nov 21, 2023
Everyone can see how confused this Obj is

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Amb1045(m): 7:32am On Nov 21, 2023
I just realized this year, I’m in my 30s already that being a nice friendly person around people is not good. I learned late but I’m grateful for the knowledge. Fxxk me, it hurts my feelings a lot. That’s how humans behave just focus on yourself and let people be🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲☹️☹️☹️. Just don’t be too friendly because everybody wants to take something from you since you’re a good person. Good people die early. Jesus said he’s coming back and he has been back and has been killed severally. Stay semi wicked and pay back evil with evil. People that you’re kind to will be the first to do you evil

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by OlujobaSamuel: 7:34am On Nov 21, 2023
Chaiii, obj no dey rigged oo, the only problem is that, you might be on queue waiting to vote, and Prof Maurice Iwu go dey announced result

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Curious345: 7:34am On Nov 21, 2023
Lol

HOW WE LOST ELECTION BY NOT BRINING -JUDGES ,POLICE AND INEC. Nigeria is consumed by the APC plague

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by tega192(m): 7:35am On Nov 21, 2023
Na God go punish you obj for Odin massacre, you dey form like better person, medicine after dead , the blood of my brother's and sisters dey your hand , stupd president

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by SmartyPants(m): 7:36am On Nov 21, 2023
Obasanjo of all people talking about electoral malpractice??

59 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by aieromon(m): 7:36am On Nov 21, 2023
If you were old enough to witness the atrocities of Iwu's INEC, you won't bother reading this content.

Till date, there is no record of the breakdown of votes by state in the 2007 Presidential elections.

https://www.thecable.ng/incredible-inec-does-not-have-full-official-results-of-2007-presidential-election/amp

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/02/28/flashback-how-olusegun-obasanjo-rigged-2007-presidential-election/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc704mTc7qc?si=ASZB6WLF24w2Z59b

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Afamed: 7:36am On Nov 21, 2023
Under this Obj administration, we had numerous Govs, who were illegally impeached with the help of Obj.

We had Senate Presidents who were impeached and many Speakers of House of Assembly impeached.

This old man has a date with his maker

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by femi4: 7:37am On Nov 21, 2023
Thonyboy:

https://.ng/2023/11/21/how-we-lost-election-for-not-bribing-inec-police-obasanjo/
Which Nigeria factor? South West never embraced you and pdp in 1999 cos you're anti MKO.

Even when you got there, you didn't play your politics well to win them to your side, you chose may 29 instead of june 12 as democracy day.

And it took an APC government to reverse that

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by DesChyko: 7:37am On Nov 21, 2023
So, after losing, you took cognisance of that and continued in that stride. The seed you and your ilks sowed yesterday is now a tree.

Thankfully, OBIdients are here to root all of all that dirt out. Corruption, you may now fight back in 3..2...1..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by BTC2867i: 7:38am On Nov 21, 2023

1 Like

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by ujezeez(m): 7:39am On Nov 21, 2023
As Maurice Iwu is to Obasanjo led government ,Na so Mamood Yakubu be to APC led government...Chronic rigging tools

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Kukutente23: 7:40am On Nov 21, 2023
When you are hungry, whatever anybody tells you cannot go in. Poverty is a great enemy of democracy. Ignorance or lack of education is a great enemy of democracy.

It is true.

We can see that in the number of people APC have paid to be foolish in their lives.

Some of them stay online to defend evil deeds while the rest are used as thugs.

Both groups are products of poverty and poor education.

Just read through some of them and you see bad grammar, poor reasoning and illogical arguments.

Just look into their souls and you'll see poverty, deep stinking poverty.

There's nothing they won't support just to ensure they keep getting their pittance from their slave drivers.

Imagine being a member of a party whose chairman was caught on video stuffing dollar bribes into his pockets and you term his ascension to the office a reward for loyalty.

No be poverty dey cause that kind reasoning?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by DaTruths: 7:41am On Nov 21, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Obasanjo should not be the man that will be complaining about election rigging

Yoruba presidents and rigging are inseparable.

They are always dragging our democracy backwards.

I'm not being Tribalistic but stating facts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by 2mch(m): 7:41am On Nov 21, 2023
OBJ wey de write election results for him toilet de form Saint. Wonders shall never end.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Higherthan: 7:42am On Nov 21, 2023
Someone who was about to run for third term, hypocrites

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by oyeraff: 7:43am On Nov 21, 2023
OBJ rigged all the southwest for PDP using pharmacist MAURICE IWU, so the method he used was to bribe eye neck and the police hay hay hay

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:44am On Nov 21, 2023
Obasanjo wey chop Nigeria tire self dey talk🤣

3 Likes

Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by jaxxy(m): 7:45am On Nov 21, 2023
Facts. Everybody said the election was not credible and a national disgrace.
Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 21, 2023
Amb1045:
I just realized this year, I’m in my 30s already that being a nice friendly person around people is not good. I learned late but I’m grateful for the knowledge. Fxxk me, it hurts my feelings a lot. That’s how humans behave just focus on yourself and let people be🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲☹️☹️☹️. Just don’t be too friendly because everybody wants to take something from you since you’re a good person. Good people die early. Jesus said he’s coming back and he has been back and has been killed severally. Stay wicked and pay back evil with evil
You are a confuse nigga, can't you just mind your business and remain focus on your goal? Most you be evil?
Re: How We Lost Election For Not Bribing INEC, Police – Obasanjo by abhosts(m): 7:46am On Nov 21, 2023
LOL. OBJ learned the hard way that Nigeria is a crooked society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Ayo Fayose Visits The Awolowos (Photos) / Surge In Voters' Registration: INEC Should Be Up And Doing (Photos) / INEC Reveals Date For Bayelsa Rerun Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.