Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report (26049 Views)

LP’s Legal Team In Court With HD TV As Channels TV Staff Is Called As Witness. / Hauwa Atiku-Uwais Holidays In The Maldives (Photos, Video) / Atiku’s Daughter, Hauwa Uwais In Tears As She Gets Surprise Birthday Dinner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Thunder1010: 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2023
Laolu Akande, a former presidential spokesperson and journalist, has called for a revisit of the Justice Muhammadu Uwais electoral reforms as he debuted as Channels TV political analyst.

Akande, who was analysing the just concluded off season governorship elections in Kogi, Imo and Bayelsa States, noted that the voter apathy witnessed during elections in Nigeria is an important concern that needs more attention.

Speaking on Channels TV News at 10, Akande was asked what his takeaways were from the recent gubernatorial polls in the three states.

He said, “I guess the first one in my view will be the level of voter apathy in the country now. Not much has been said about this and of course, it’s even worse in this kind of off-season election compared to a place like Kenya where you have about 50-60% turnout.

“What you had even in the Presidential/National Assembly election is about 20%, this [off-season polls] is even below that, for me that is what one of the major things that we should be looking out for.

“Having said that, there is also the problem of violence, intimidation and all related stuff” citing the instance in Kogi state where election results were written ahead of even the time of voting.

“Now, what all of these point to is that there is an increasing level of impunity when you talk about electoral offences.

“I remember that in 2008 when the Uwais Report was released the report said then that at that time since 1960, there hasn’t been any conviction of electoral offences, I don’t know whether between 2008 and now is actually a significant change of that but that is a big problem because of the impunity we see in the electoral terrain all kinds intimidation.

“So I think the first thing we have to do is to take a good look at the Uwais Report again. Looking at the report again is going to be very helpful because many of the things we are still dealing with have been highlighted in the report.

“For instance the report states very clearly that there must be an end to all cases that are prosecuted from the elections before elected officials are sworn in, now for some reasons that recommendation was not accepted. If that had been accepted that means that the role of the judiciary in fact will be limited.

“What we have today is the judiciary playing too much role in the process something the Uwais panel report had also warned that it won’t be good for the system, it won’t confer credibility on the process if we have the judiciary determining the outcomes of the elections and not the voters.

“Today, I was reading an article written by Lasisi Olagunju where he said that the Nigerian Judiciary had become our electoral college because of the over-participation of the judiciary in our electoral process.”

https://dailytrust.com/laolu-akande-debuts-as-channels-tv-analyst-calls-for-revisit-of-uwais-report/#:~:text=31%3A11%20WAT-,Laolu%20Akande%2C%20a%20former%20presidential%20spokesperson%20and%20journalist%2C%20has%20called,as%20Channels%20TV%20political%20analyst.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by SoNature(m): 1:39pm On Nov 21, 2023
You and your oga were in Aso Rock for 8 years but never implemented the report.

Now your tenure is over, you are calling for implementation of a report you failed to implement.

Abeg no let me curse you.

217 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by IVORY2009(m): 1:45pm On Nov 21, 2023
You Akande is the main problem of the great nation, you and your bosses had the opportunity to implement the report, but you jettison and here you are ranting.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Racoon(m): 1:48pm On Nov 21, 2023
Hehehe! Let's see how the narratives goes now that him and his bosses are out of power.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Okoroawusa: 2:01pm On Nov 21, 2023
Good luck Laolu as you enter another phase of your life...

You can only be criticized by those who wish that they were in your shoes.

6 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by TheRareGem1(f): 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2023
I agree with Laolu Akande, Hajia Uwais is a brilliant lawyer, one of the women making Nigeria proud. She should even be considered for a job at the humanitarian ministry, top boss and decision maker there .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Adelekan40(m): 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
This is an honest solution to our election flaws in Nigeria, I hope the Federal government will take a look at the Uwais Report on election.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by MEEVEET: 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2023
In developed nations you design system in such a way that even if the office holder intends to corrupt it or use it to his advantage it would not be possible

In Nigeria we develop system that reflect the wishes of the office holder

American president can't steal $10 million dollars from government funds, the civil servants won't let him but you know why? Even if the president wants them scackes or removed they can't

When you have a chance make the institution stronger than you because you would leave office someday

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Mvnster: 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2023
SoNature:

Now your tenure is over, you are calling for implementation of a report you failed to implement.

Why not focus on the message?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by ATEAMS: 3:06pm On Nov 21, 2023
Schools serve the same social functions as prisons and mental institutions- to define, classify, control, and regulate people.

2 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Wealthoptulent(m): 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2023
Thunder1010:

https://dailytrust.com/laolu-akande-debuts-as-channels-tv-analyst-calls-for-revisit-of-uwais-report/#:~:text=31%3A11%20WAT-,Laolu%20Akande%2C%20a%20former%20presidential%20spokesperson%20and%20journalist%2C%20has%20called,as%20Channels%20TV%20political%20analyst.
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Guyman01: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2023
What is the ruling on revisiting Uwais report?

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by omoredia: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2023
See as im be like beta christmas goat. Mumu

1 Like

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by tophumble(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2023
Dey play.

Between 2015 and 2023 when u were in govt, u did not call For Revisiting Of Uwais Report.

Who is deceiving who?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by englishmart(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2023
See his white beards like a holocaust surviving Jewish rabbi

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by MorataFC: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2023
Wonderment
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by BigBelleControl(m): 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2023
Segun Adeniyi was Yaradua's spokesman, he later became a newspaper columnist.
Rueben Abati left GEJ's government to become an analyst on AriseTV.
Laolu left Buhari/Osinbajo's government to become an analyst on Channels TV.

Does it mean that it's true people don't talk when they eat?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by bennybuhari: 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2023
Very brilliant guy. But why the Islamic beard?
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:10pm On Nov 21, 2023
Compare Nigeria to a place like Kenya where you have about 50-60% turnout during elections.

What you had even in the Presidential/National Assembly election is about 20% of turn-outs,
the just concluded governorship election is even below that, for us that is what one of the major things that we should be looking out for.

They will be complaining of bad governance but will refuse to come out en-masse to vote for the right candidates.

Nigeria citizens are one of a kind.
God help Nigeria 🇳🇬

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Tatsim: 3:10pm On Nov 21, 2023
I

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by kingsways: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2023
ok
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Nicelydone1: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2023
Adelekan40:
This is an honest solution to our election flaws in Nigeria, I hope the Federal government will take a look at the Uwais Report on election.
I concur
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by ecolime(m): 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2023
SoNature:

IVORY2009:
You Akande is the main problem of the great nation, you and your bosses had the opportunity to implement the report, but you jettison and here you are ranting.

Three weeks ago, it was Amaechi. Today, it's Akande. I won't be surprised if Lai Muhammed says something tomorrow cheesy

They all turn to saints whenever they are out of office.

10 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Dotherightthing: 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ok
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by casualobserver: 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2023
Always changing laws, always revising the law….but the problems never go away…why? Because there is nothing wrong with our laws, the problem is with us as a people. We had parliamentary system, where everybody controlled his own resources, it didn’t work, we fought. We introduced presidential system under a federal but unitary structure where the Centre allocates resources and owns everything, it hasn’t worked now the same people that abandoned parliamentary system are saying we should return to parliamentary system and resource control.

Forget Nigerians like Buhari said we are a difficult people to govern.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by tunapawizzy: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2023
I see why e dey always wear cap
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2023
ATEAMS:
Schools serve the same social functions as prisons and mental institutions- to define, classify, control, and regulate people.
Does it educate?
Re: Laolu Akande Debuts As Channels TV Analyst, Calls For Revisiting Of Uwais Report by Maxymilliano(m): 3:16pm On Nov 21, 2023
TheRareGem1:
I agree with Laolu Akande, Hajia Uwais is a brilliant lawyer, one of the women making Nigeria proud. She should even be considered for a job at the humanitarian ministry, top boss and decision maker there .

Hajia Uwais ba wo ?

Justice Muhammed Uwais was former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and his report was on electoral reforms

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protest Against Religious Extremism In Kaduna (Photos) / Ekiti Bars Fayemi, Other From Holding Public Offices In State / Gov. Uzodimma Commissions Newly Constructed Roads In Owerri Municipality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.