Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,454 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics (26288 Views)

I Am Full-blooded Ijaw - Gov. Fubara Disregards Speculations Of Him Not Being A / Nigeria Needs Bold, Courageous Leader Like Tinubu — Folarin / A Cold-Blooded Beast Called Isa Pantami By Femi Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 10:42am On Nov 25, 2023
Fubara said those insinuating that he's not from the Ijaw stock were bereft of the history of the struggle that made Ijaw a reputable class of people.

Governor Siminalayi (Sim) Fubara of Rivers State has schooled his critics on the history of the people of Opobo, which he said were integral in the Ijaw struggle.

The Governor said this while dismissing insinuations in some quarters, claiming that he's not from the Ijaw stock.

He said this during his meeting with Regent and other representatives of Kalabari Se Kobiri at Government House, Port Harcourt, on Friday, November 24, 2023, a statement by his media aide, Boniface Onyedi, disclosed.

While stressing his status as a bona fide Ijaw son, Fubara noted that those insinuating that he's not from the Ijaw stock were bereft of the history of the struggle that made Ijaw a reputable class of people.

The statement quoted the governor as saying, So, whoever is feeding you with that information should go back to their history classes. You cannot talk about the Ijaw struggle without the Opobo, the Bonny, and the Kalabari.

We had our trade lines at that time and for you to occupy a trade line, it means you are a true Ijaw man. So, for the records, I am a full-blooded, up to my bones, an Ijaw man.”

Highlighting the qualities that distinguished the ethnic group, the Governor said the Ijaw people are bold, courageous, and forthright people who, despite being subjected to inhuman treatment, did not succumb to being traded as slaves during the slave trade.

He condoled the Kalabari people over the demise of their monarch, late King Theophilus J.T. Princewill, assuring them of his government's readiness to participate in the burial activities.

Fubara also urged the Kalabari people to set aside their differences and work together to give the late king a befitting burial.

For his part, the regent of the Kalabari kingdom, Dr Charles Princewill, said the purpose of the visit to the Government House was to notify the governor of the demise of Theophilus J.T. Princewill, Amachree XI, the Amanyanabo and Natural Ruler of the Kalabari Kingdom.

He also used the opportunity to formally invite Fubara to attend the late monarch’s funeral.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/im-full-blooded-ijaw-man-were-bold-courageous-fubara-tells-critics/n1knr8x

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by incandescentena: 10:46am On Nov 25, 2023
Okay

3 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 11:13am On Nov 25, 2023
He will lose igbos support with this his careless statement. He shouldn't have said anything

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 11:17am On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:
He will lose igbos support with this is careless statement. He shouldn't have said anything
A lot of wike haters on nairaland who are supporting fubara because they think he's an Igbo man will be so disappointed... One of them called fubara an igboijaw man 🤣🤣

232 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by ecolime(m): 11:25am On Nov 25, 2023
Shots fired

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Burruchaga71(m): 11:26am On Nov 25, 2023
Is ijaw a tribe in Nigeria or Malawi?

8 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by DaddyJapan(m): 11:27am On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:

Fubara said those insinuating that he's not from the Ijaw stock were bereft of the history of the struggle that made Ijaw a reputable class of people.

Highlighting the qualities that distinguished the ethnic group, the Governor said the Ijaw people are bold, courageous, and forthright people who, despite being subjected to inhuman treatment, did not succumb to being traded as slaves during the slave trade.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/im-full-blooded-ijaw-man-were-bold-courageous-fubara-tells-critics/n1knr8x

The emboldened statement is not strictly true.

While historical records show the Ijo were more renowned for facilitating the transatlantic slave trade, linguistic studies reveals ijo-derived lexicon in Berbice (Guyana) and, to a lesser extent, Haiti. cool

For instance, at the heart of our historical framework is the above-mentioned vessel Sint Antony Galeij, which we have reason to believe brought around 300 Ijo slaves to Berbice in 1713, in addition to ca. 100 slaves collected at the island of Príncipe. Mufwene (this issue, p. 208) casts doubt on the importance of the Galeij to the history of Berbice Dutch because it requires one to assume that “the putative minority of non-Ijos that came on the Galeij had no role [in the creation of Berbice Dutch], or just a negligible one”. Clearly though, and whatever the precise reasons, the assumption that the slaves from Príncipe (if there were any) had no impact on the formation of Berbice Dutch is simply a conclusion based on linguistic data – the language obviously has a huge Ijo component but a rather moderate amount of influences from other African languages and none, as far as we know, from Príncipense.

Source: Parkvall, M., & Jacobs, B. (2023). Why Haitian is a creole, Michif an intertwiner, and Irish English neither: A reply to Mufwene. Folia Linguistica, 57(1), 217–226. https://doi.org/10.1515/flin-2023-2002

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Papparassi: 11:35am On Nov 25, 2023

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Bliss62: 11:46am On Nov 25, 2023
Rugged Ijaw man

221 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 12:00pm On Nov 25, 2023
Kafirbigot:
PIGs from the demonic kingdom of the fallen demons..won't like this.

They know themselves ....

IGBOs ..una too much abeg!!
Shame on this joker who think Yorubas give a fvvxk about who's Igbo and not igbo

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by IGBOSON1: 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2023
Opobo, Bonny and Okirika during colonial times were independent city-states that had influences and origins from the Igbo ethnicity....and Ijaw to a lesser extent! What happened was that after the uncivil war, ethnic politics took over in the region, and the Fulani/Yoruba hegemonic alliance, intent on diminishing Igbo territory, influence and economy, empowered the Ijaw who went on to Ijawnise the aforementioned city-states who up until then didn't see the need to publicly proclaim that they were either Igbo or Ijaw!

232 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by slim75d(m): 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:
He will lose igbos support with this is careless statement. He shouldn't have said anything

Igbos have no say in rivers politics
It's just we the ijaws, the ogonis, Ikwerres,
Ijaws have 8 LGA, Ikwerres have 4 LGA ogonis have 4
Infact the ijaws own the southern part of Port Harcourt, where the port and government house is located

248 Likes 19 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 12:08pm On Nov 25, 2023
slim75d:

Igbos have no say in rivers politics
It's just we the ijaws, the ogonis, Ikwerres,
Ijaws have 8 LGA, Ikwerres have 4 LGA ogonis have 4
Infact the ijaws own the southern part of Port Harcourt, where the port and government house is located
I thought the port is located in ogoni area and the government house is located in ikwerre area of PH?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 12:09pm On Nov 25, 2023
IGBOSON1:
Opobo, Bonny and Okirika during colonial times were independent city-states that had influences and origins from the Igbo ethnicity....and Ijaw to a lesser extent! What happened was that after the uncivil war, ethnic politics took over in the region, and the Fulani/Yoruba hegemonic alliance, intent on diminishing Igbo territory, influence and economy, empowered the Ijaw who went on to Ijawnise the aforementioned city-states who up until then didn't see the need to publicly proclaim that they were either Igbo or Ijaw!
Fubara from Opobo is saying he's Ijaw, an Igbo man from Anambra, Abia or Imo state is telling him that he's wrong.

322 Likes 22 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2023
johnmartus:
Imagine this statement you igbo just don't have dignity.
How did you know am an Igbo man?

He will lose a lot of igbos support, a lot of them are supporting him because they think he's an Igbo man.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by johnmartus(m): 12:23pm On Nov 25, 2023
Whether you are igbo or not you guys have no dignity.
Paraman:

He will lose a lot of igbos support, a lot of them are supporting him because they think he's an Igbo man.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 12:24pm On Nov 25, 2023
johnmartus:
Tchewww

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by ExudeLoveToAll: 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2023
Burruchaga71:
Is ijaw a tribe in Nigeria or Malawi?

It's a tribe In the US cheesy grin

13 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Kingozymandias(m): 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2023
johnmartus:

Rule 2 Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

Seun mynd44 mukina2 obinoscopy nlfpmd Dominique

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by ExudeLoveToAll: 12:28pm On Nov 25, 2023
IGBOSON1:

Get well soon.

Are you from Rivers State?

If you are not you have no rights to tell us who we are as a people. Go and tell your kids that wrong history.

You just wake and type trash about others.

251 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by IGBOSON1: 12:33pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:
Fubara from Opobo is saying he's Ijaw, an Igbo man from Anambra, Abia or Imo state is telling him that he's wrong.

Fubara can say whatever TF he likes.....it doesn't change what i said! All that's happening is the conituation of attempts at teritorial expansion by the main Ijaw ethnicity that's largely confined and domicilled in present day Bayelsa state! Unfortunately, there are some within Opobo, Bonny, etc, and even Ikwerre, that have either been deceived or bullied into accepting a new post-'66 anti-Igbo narrative as to their ethnic identity and origins!

Oh....and by the way, i'm from Rivers state as well! A proud and full-blooded Igbo man from Ndoni! You can't try your anti-Igbo revisionist agenda on me mate!

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Kafirbigot: 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
The PIGs have landed as expected cheesy

Paraman:
Shame on this joker who think Yorubas give a fvvxk about who's Igbo and not igbo

3 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by sageb: 12:37pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:

Governor Siminalayi (Sim) Fubara of Rivers State has schooled his critics on the history of the people of Opobo, which he said were integral in the Ijaw struggle.

The Governor said this while dismissing insinuations in some quarters, claiming that he's not from the Ijaw stock.

He said this during his meeting with Regent and other representatives of Kalabari Se Kobiri at Government House, Port Harcourt, on Friday, November 24, 2023, a statement by his media aide, Boniface Onyedi, disclosed.

While stressing his status as a bona fide Ijaw son, Fubara noted that those insinuating that he's not from the Ijaw stock were bereft of the history of the struggle that made Ijaw a reputable class of people.

The statement quoted the governor as saying, “So, whoever is feeding you with that information should go back to their history classes. You cannot talk about the Ijaw struggle without the Opobo, the Bonny, and the Kalabari.

“We had our trade lines at that time and for you to occupy a trade line, it means you are a true Ijaw man. So, for the records, I am a full-blooded, up to my bones, an Ijaw man.”

He condoled the Kalabari people over the demise of their monarch, late King Theophilus J.T. Princewill, assuring them of his government's readiness to participate in the burial activities.

Fubara also urged the Kalabari people to set aside their differences and work together to give the late king a befitting burial.

For his part, the regent of the Kalabari kingdom, Dr Charles Princewill, said the purpose of the visit to the Government House was to notify the governor of the demise of Theophilus J.T. Princewill, Amachree XI, the Amanyanabo and Natural Ruler of the Kalabari Kingdom.

He also used the opportunity to formally invite Fubara to attend the late monarch’s funeral.

That's the spirit
Asawana

7 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Brenbentondiaz: 12:47pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:

You don't know how idiotically deluded those nonces are. They're very entertaining in their stupidity. grin grin

289 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Brenbentondiaz: 12:48pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:

B-b-b-but they say they don't support based on tribe, but based on competence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Brenbentondiaz: 12:49pm On Nov 25, 2023
Kingozymandias:

Rule 2 Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

Seun mynd44 mukina2 obinoscopy nlfpmd Dominique

When igbos do it you don't reference the rules, but when they hit you guys back you scamper home crying to daddy. You goobers can't take half of what you give.

230 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by sageb: 12:51pm On Nov 25, 2023
Paraman:
I thought the port is located in ogoni area and the government house is located in ikwerre area of PH?

You are wrong
The Government house is in Borikiri/Town area which falls under the Okrika-Ijaw part of Port Harcourt (PHALGA 2)

The colonial era "Port"(NPA) is at the Harbour road/industry road in Town under the Okrika-Ijaw part of Port Harcourt(PHALGA 2).

Post colonial port is in Onne (Onne Port) in Eleme LGA.

8 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Kingozymandias(m): 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2023
Brenbentondiaz:

When igbos do it you don't reference the rules, but when they hit you guys back you scamper home crying to daddy. You goobers can't take half of what you give.

You are so uneducated you assumed I am ibo for calling out your stupidity? You kafirs are so mannerless and uncivilized

4 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Think9ja(m): 12:54pm On Nov 25, 2023
Does that change the fact that Nigeria is a criminal enterprise?

4 Likes

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by Paraman: 1:21pm On Nov 25, 2023
IGBOSON1:

Fubara can say whatever TF he likes.....it doesn't change what i said! All that's happening is the conituation of attempts at teritorial expansion by the main Ijaw ethnicity that's largely confined and domicilled in present day Bayelsa state! Unfortunately, there are some within Opobo, Bonny, etc, and even Ikwerre, that have either been deceived or bullied into accepting a new post-'66 anti-Igbo narrative as to their ethnic identity and origins!

Oh....and by the way, i'm from Rivers state as well! A proud and full-blooded Igbo man from Ndoni! You can't try your anti-Igbo revisionist agenda on me mate!
Fubara from Opobo is saying he's an Ijaw man, but an Igbo man from Anambra, Abia or Imo state is telling him that he's not an Ijaw but an Igbo man 😂😂

This is so dam funny 🤣

309 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I'm Full-blooded Ijaw Man And We're Bold, Courageous - Fubara Tells Critics by dododawa1: 1:21pm On Nov 25, 2023
POWER

Good

Ooooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo On "The Candidate": Reactions On Twitter / Nnamdi Kanu Blames FG For The Death Of His Mother / Despite Spending ₦205M, Nigeria Police Website Still Offline A Week After Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.