Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,499 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? (27382 Views)

Greatest Nigerian Goal Scorers In Afcon / Vincent Enyeama Named Greatest African Goalkeeper Of All Time By IFFHS / Raymond King, Ex-Nigerian Goalkeeper, Dies (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by happney65: 3:13pm On Nov 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Dosu never kept for the Super Eagles.

The OP never said Super Eagles. He said greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper of all times. Or did Dosu keep for Ghana?
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Kukutenla: 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
Oliseh will not like this thread
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by myners007: 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
TechBaron:
Peter Rufai

I was born in the 80's

I saw the best days of the Super Eagles.
You Dont Know sports most especially soccer
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by sucess001(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
Karleb:

For Nigeria, at his club or both?

For Nigeria. Enyeama set more records at Lille but Rufai played in more high profile clubs

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Telltruth123: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127166792:
Vincent Enyeama has it ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ† .

No doubt.....

Him show World's Best pepper for that match dat year..... โค๏ธ
You made me smile with these pictures

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by bularuz(m): 3:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
zoghys:

Rufai is ten times better than Vincent, and I stand by that. We qualified for the first world cup with an away draw at algeira with Peter rufai been Rock solid at the post. Our first world cup is the best world cup we ever had and Peter was a backbone of that team. Yes, at club level Vincent made some marks, so is rufai in Spain among other countries.
Wilfred Agbonavbare was actually in goal throughout our USA 94 qualifiers

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by ogbe88(m): 3:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
oliverano:

Peter Rufai was very normal. He's just slightly better than Uzuoho. If you were born in the 80s then your problem is nostalgia.

No be only Rufai. Rufai wey be basket.

Enyeama is clear
U are a baby .

Peter remains the best.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by tunjijones(m): 3:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
Ewedegubbler:

Patrick Okala that caught the head of leopard kicked to him by the Indian striker Bahubali
he also caught the head of a palm nut kicked by to him by another Indian named Rajapaska

He caught a javelin during the legendary match between Nigeria and India.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by zoghys: 3:19pm On Nov 26, 2023
Keneeby:

Peter Rufai was doing well because of quality of players in his era, compare to that of Enyeama where many of the players were just average. In record breaking, Enyeama is very far better than Rufai. Enyeama remains the Nigeria best keeper ever. He was voted for Africa's best keeper ever.

Where and when was he voted for the Africa best keeper ever. His he better than halandry of Egypt, abeg stop joor. Rufai I know from his days at Otto Gloria stationary stores till his Advent into super eagle is better than Vincent. Vincent has quality players if not better than rufai's era, expect you say the likes of Mikel, agbahowa, okocha at a time, Ahmed Musa, obafemi martins among other where not good enough. For me, rufai is better. E.O.D

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by zoghys: 3:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
bularuz:

Wilfred Agbonavbare was actually in goal throughout our USA 94 qualifiers

Yes, you are correct. Rufai was nursing an injury. Infact, Wilfred was in goal against Algeria. Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by myners007: 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
zoghys:

Rufai is ten times better than Vincent, and I stand by that. We qualified for the first world cup with an away draw at algeira with Peter rufai been Rock solid at the post. Our first world cup is the best world cup we ever had and Peter was a backbone of that team. Yes, at club level Vincent made some marks, so is rufai in Spain among other countries.
FYI Rufai was not the success behind Nigeria qualifying for Us 94. he went to the competition and conceded cheap goals something which Enyeama couldnt have done. Enyeama remains Nigeria greatest of all time and the stats are there for you to verify

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Naijafornow: 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
Uzoho remains Nigeria number one basket keeper. Sorry best keeper . I'm always confident when Nigeria concede a free kick. That guy can keep !!

Uzoho for life
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Shikena(m): 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Vincent Enyeama

None of the others achieved half of his feats. Rufai was a basket so don't even try that rubbish. Rufai benefitted from being part of Nigeria's most gifted set ever and every time the ball got to him, a goal was sure to be conceded. The 70/80s set were just nostalgia. If they were so good how come Nigeria didn't qualify for any World Cup in their time winning only ONE AFCON?

Vincent Enyeama hands down abeg.
I agree on the older Peter Rufai (his first national team call-up was 1980/81). He was dragged back into the team in 1994 and 1998 based on past heroics.

On World Cup qualification and 70/80s, keep in mind that Africa had just ONE world cup slot until 1982 and just TWO slots until 1994 and it was almost always 'last minute' heartbreak for Nigeria until our first qualification in 1994. It was a truly fierce competition for ONE or TWO slots in those days. I don't think our current team stand any chance in such scenario today.

Our 1994 team's performance across the previous 4 years was so good that Nigeria was rated No.5 on FIFA ranking.

Nowadays, we struggle to qualify for the world cup even with FIVE slots.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by tunjijones(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2023
Confirmedzombie:
Sam okparaji remains the best. May His soul continue to Rest in Peace.
Taribo West comes second

Jay Jay okocha comes third.

Nwankwo kanu comes fourth.

OP is an indomie generation and don't know the best of the super eagles

Lol.

My first world cup was Italia 90. Though I can't remember most of the matches but I remember the match btw Cameroon and england. I also remember the final game. Then Germany was sti referred to as west Germany. I watched Saudi 89. I watch the match where Samuel okaparaji died and u call me indomine generation.

I watch the likes of mutiu adepoju, rashidi yekini, uche okafor, Christopher ohenhen, etim essy (don't think I spelt that correctly) etc. makanaki and Rodger miller of Cameroon.

Lol...
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Padipadi(m): 3:24pm On Nov 26, 2023
CalmluxPaint:
I'll give it to Vincent Enyeama. He's one of the (top three) greatest shot-stoppers in contemporary football history, and very good with the ball at his feet.

Though terrible at handling ariel ball due to his height, he overcompensated with many other amazing qualities. If Enyeama were to be European, he'd have been ranked one of the all time GREATESTS. Though he was not-long-ago voted the Greatest African Goal Keeper (within decades in review).

His exploits in the Nigerian, Israeli and French leagues are under-amplified. He's not just a UCL goal scorer, he also won the player of the season award in the Israeli league at some point.

He's exactly what Manchester United fans expect Andrรฉ Onana to be; he beats Onana hands down in every index, save for Onana being fantastic with ariel ball due to his height.

Enyeama is an enigma we didn't know we'll miss. Watching Uzoho between the sticks makes me want to weep for how low Nigeria football has dived. Let me not even talk about that oyinbo who did rubbish in the last AFCON.

Ike Shorunmu was even better than most of the guys the OP listed up there. I'll rank Ike Shorunmu after Enyeama in Nigerian greats between the sticks.
Uzoho ooo!
I m having aches cos of Uzoho n Okoye
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by porthouse7(f): 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2023
Keeper rufai
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by sirpharrell(m): 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2023
zoghys:

You are not correct. Peter Rufai was not part of the qualifiers for USA 94 world cup. The goalkeeper in the last away match in Algeria was Wilfred Agbonavbare. Rufai was only brought back for the 1994 Nations Cup in Tunisia. We won and he kept his place for the World Cup proper.

A feature of Rufai's time in the national team is that he divided opinions sharply. Some fans believed that he was the best ever while some believed that he was too error prone especially with crosses. That explained why he was in and out of the national team that eventually accounted for his comparatively low number of caps. But I still rate him second best ever.

Enyeama is the goalkeeper with the highest number of caps and that speaks a lot. There was never a time that opinions were divided on him. He was the indisputable and reliable number one throughout his long stay in the Super Eagles. He remains our greatest goalkeeper.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by BJanta: 3:26pm On Nov 26, 2023
Emmanuel Okala
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by sukkot: 3:26pm On Nov 26, 2023
in terms of having a nice goalkeeping stature, very handsome model like face, the best afro i have seen in all of africa, charisma, commanding presence and exuding confidence i give it to peter rufai. when i lived in surulere that time his good friend lived in our compound so he used to come alot. see swag. his afro was crazy. he looked like one of the jacksons
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by MICHEALADEX(m): 3:26pm On Nov 26, 2023
TechBaron:
Peter Rufai

I was born in the 80's

I saw the best days of the Super Eagles.

I feel you
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Shikena(m): 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
True. The younger Peter Rufai was way better than any of our goalkeepers. In his later years he battled injury and was even more of a part-time "professional'. He was a student on his graduate studies in those days when there was no ONLINE classes.

zoghys:

Where and when was he voted for the Africa best keeper ever. His he better than halandry of Egypt, abeg stop joor. Rufai I know from his days at Otto Gloria stationary stores till his Advent into super eagle is better than Vincent. Vincent has quality players if not better than rufai's era, expect you say the likes of Mikel, agbahowa, okocha at a time, Ahmed Musa, obafemi martins among other where not good enough. For me, rufai is better. E.O.D
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by LeanonGOD(m): 3:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
BEST OGEDENGBE is the BEST.
tunjijones:
Who is the best Nigeria goal keeper of all time?
1. Aloy Agu
2. Ike Shorunmu
3. Vincent Enyeama
4. Peter Rufai
5. Patrick okala
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by femicyrus(m): 3:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
We have forgotten the exploit of ezenwa
Short but effective at the goal post
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by FuckingMachine: 3:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Good, but Rufai did go to two world cups.

Also he was quite good. Only problem he had was with crosses and corners (as seen in Zambia's goal in the 1994 AFCON final).

Courtesy the best Nigeria ever.
Jay Jay, Kanu, Oliseh, West & co.

It's like saying Victor Valdes is Barcelona's best ever GK.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by devigblegble: 3:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
Benjaniblinks:
Why is Francis Uzoho not on the list?
He should be the GOAT for the super eagles angry
please stop if you are joking
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by abbey621(m): 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Questions like this makes no sense. These goalkeepers did not play in the same era or have the same team. A goalkeeper most times is as good as his defense.

Peter Rufai was a more efficient keeper than Enyeama when you factor in the entire team. Most of the players on the national team when Rufai started playing were relatively unknown and unrefined. The defense was made up of bricklayers and plumbers facing off against more established players especially at the world cup.

Enyeama had a team of European players, battle tested and refined but they still underperformed! No way yo ucan rank him above Rufai in terms of efficiency!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by FuckingMachine: 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Ibime:

Rufai was not a basket till 1998 when he was too old and they dragged him out of International retirement when Ike Shorunmu broke his leg and Abiodun Baruwa proved incompetent in a 5-1 loss to Yugoslavia

Rufai in 1998 was just doing Naija a favour, he was way over the hill by then. Rufai prior to that was quality

How did he concede against a traumatized Zambian amateur plumber side??
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Googledotcom: 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Benjaniblinks:
Why is Francis Uzoho not on the list?
He should be the GOAT for the super eagles angry
grin grin grin
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by BigDawsNet: 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
tunjijones:
Who is the best Nigeria goal keeper of all time?
1. Aloy Agu
2. Ike Shorunmu
3. Vincent Enyeama
4. Peter Rufai
5. Patrick okala

They all awesome...
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by zoghys: 3:33pm On Nov 26, 2023
sirpharrell:

You are not correct. Peter Rufai was not part of the qualifiers for USA 94 world cup. The goalkeeper in the last away match in Algeria was Wilfred Agbonavbare. Rufai was only brought back for the 1994 Nations Cup in Tunisia. We won and he kept his place for the World Cup proper.

A feature of Rufai's time in the national team is that he divided opinions sharply. Some fans believed that he was the best ever while some believed that he was too error prone especially with crosses. That explained why he was in and out of the national team that eventually accounted for his comparatively low number of caps. But I still rate him second best ever.

Enyeama is the goalkeeper with the highest number of caps and that speaks a lot. There was never a time that opinions were divided on him. He was the indisputable and reliable number one throughout his long stay in the Super Eagles. He remains our greatest goalkeeper.

First I accept Wilfred was in goal for our 1994 qualification due to rufai's injury. But then my best goal keeper for the eagle still remains rufai regardless of the statics you may quote. In rufai's era we have Wilfred, Ike shorumu, rufai himself, alloy agu. All these goal keepers are fantastic goal keepers and could hold their own on a good day. But in Vincent era who do we have, Vincent, Vincent and Vincent, hence his numbers of caps.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by zoghys: 3:34pm On Nov 26, 2023
Shikena:
True. The younger Peter Rufai was way better than any of our goalkeepers. In his later years he battled injury and was even more of a part-time "professional'. He was a student on his graduate studies in those days when there was no ONLINE classes.

Gbayi
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Omoawoke2(m): 3:36pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127166792:
Vincent Enyeama has it ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ† .

No doubt.....

Him show World's Best pepper for that match dat year..... โค๏ธ

The way he was playing with Messi that day was so disgusting and irritating and inferiority complex all over.
Dude you are here for business, to represent your nation not dancing with Messi. You could do that after the match

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Haiti Vs Nigeria: U-20 Womenโ€™s World Cup - 0 - 1 (Full Time) / The Reason Why Morocco Will Beat France / Pako, The Midget That Dines With Emmanuel Adebayor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.