Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? (27387 Views)

Greatest Nigerian Goal Scorers In Afcon / Vincent Enyeama Named Greatest African Goalkeeper Of All Time By IFFHS / Raymond King, Ex-Nigerian Goalkeeper, Dies (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by femi4: 7:00pm On Nov 26, 2023
lhurd:

I was just about asking where una put ike shorunmou
Ike had a short time with the national team. Not enough to earn him a decent rating
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by bigtt76(f): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
Must be Uzoho

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Manfromlasvegas(m): 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Enyeama is our greatest goal keeper of all time by far. You need to be seriously great to make your debut in the world cup against England while playing in the local league and end up keeping a clean sheet against the likes of David Beckham.

The guy was just too outstanding. So many man of the match performances for the super eagles even in penalty shoot outs. He won the nations cup and won the CAF champions league twice with enyimba, something none of the goal keepers on this list can claim. One good thing about enyeama was his desire and capacity to improve and his leadership ability. In the early days, enyeama used to be quite poor in penalty shoot outs. In fact he cost us a nations cup final place in 2004 with his performance in the shoot out against Tunisia in the semifinals. Those days, during enyimbas champions league run, they would usually remove him when it got to shoot out and put dele aiyenugba who was a master at keeping shoot out.

Every one sort of understood the situation and accepted things like this 'enyeama good keeper poor penalty stopper' until enyeama himself said enough is enough. Just two years after fumbling in the penalty shoot out at the nations cup against Tunisia, now in the same tournament against Tunisia in 2006, enyeama refused to come off for aiyenugba, instead saving two penalties and becoming the hero against the same opponent.

What a man, what a legend. Greatest by far for the super eagles and one of the greatest for Africa.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Kdon2: 7:05pm On Nov 26, 2023
egojeny1:

Peter Rufai
Vincent Enyeama

And where is Dosu? The guy that showed Bebeto and Romario shege at the Olympics

Are you sure?
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Gajagojo: 7:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Vincent Enyeama

None of the others achieved half of his feats. Rufai was a basket so don't even try that rubbish. Rufai benefitted from being part of Nigeria's most gifted set ever and every time the ball got to him, a goal was sure to be conceded. The 70/80s set were just nostalgia. If they were so good how come Nigeria didn't qualify for any World Cup in their time winning only ONE AFCON?

Vincent Enyeama hands down abeg.
You are ranting mixing up irrelevant issues
What do you mean by 70/80s set ? and. What has that got to do with Goalkeeper or winning nations cup?
Is it goalkeepers that win Nations Cup?

If the 90s to
2009 set were so good? How come they won only one Nations cup too?
Do you see the
illogicality of your talk
You are just mixing issues that have nothing to do with the goalkeeper issue
What did Enyeama achieve that Rufai did not achieve
In the 70s and 80s there were only 16 slots at the World Cup and only two slots for Africa .
A very different World Cup and again NOTHING to do with the goalkeeper issue
Some of the Best players never make it to the World Cup like George Weah. That does not mean he is not great
You need to learn logic and stop ranting ignorantly
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by FuckingMachine: 7:09pm On Nov 26, 2023
Gajagojo:

You are ranting mixing up irrelevant issues
What do you mean by 70/80s set ? and. What has that got to do with Goalkeeper or winning nations cup?
Is it goalkeepers that win Nations Cup?

If the 90s to
2009 set were so good? How come they won only one Nations cup too?
Do you see the
illogicality of your talk
You are just mixing issues that have nothing to do with the goalkeeper issue
What did Enyeama achieve that Rufai did not achieve
In the 70s and 80s there were only 16 slots at the World Cup and only two slots for Africa .
A very different World Cup and again NOTHING to do with the goalkeeper issue
Some of the Best players never make it to the World Cup like George Weah. That does not mean he is not great
You need to learn logic and stop ranting ignorantly

I have already replied you here. I don't have energy for argument. You guys have given me headache.

FuckingMachine:

No just mind dem.
Which club Rufai even keep for? What did he achieve?

Enyeama started from Enyimba doing what Rufai could never do in Nigeria and CAF Champions League.

Moved to Israel continued excelling with Maccabi Haifa. Because of Enyeama Israel became an opportunity for some of our Super Eagles - Yakubu, Ejide & co. Enyeama did so well in UCL for that small club that Europe could no longer ignore him.

In France he blew. Domestically, he won titles and not as a bench player but important 1st team starter and even captain scoring goals too. Won so many awards there. I think he still holds the Ligue 1 record for either least goals conceded in a season or longest clean sheet streak. Can't remember which but it was with Lille around 2013.

Internationally he always did well even when we lost you could never blame him. In our worst losses he usually performed so well that you knew the scoreline would be worse if not for his saves. Ghana, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Tunisia, Argentina, France matches come to mind.

And Enyeama played with very bad squads of mumu players like Sani Kaita, Olofinjana, Oboabona marshalling our defence. Constantly under pressure yet excelling.

Who born Peter Rufai?
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by jamafa: 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
tunjijones:
Who is the best Nigeria goal keeper of all time?
1. Aloy Agu
2. Ike Shorunmu
3. Vincent Enyeama
4. Peter Rufai
5. Patrick okala

option 3
Vincent Enyeama
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by zoghys: 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
femi4:
watch the video to jog your memory

What's your basis argument?, Is it that we didn't draw at Algeria or what. If it's about rufai, yes he wasn't in goal which u have admitted earlier, so what else.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by femi4: 7:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
zoghys:

What's your basis argument?, Is it that we didn't draw at Algeria or what. If it's about rufai, yes he wasn't in goal which u have admitted earlier, so what else.
We qualified for the first world cup with an away draw at algeira with Peter rufai been Rock solid at the post

The highlited are your words not mine
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by abiolamitodun(m): 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2023
Benjaniblinks:
Why is Francis Uzoho not on the list?
He should be the GOAT for the super eagles angry
U are a bad person πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Justnation: 7:57pm On Nov 26, 2023
Those who did not have the privilege of watching the legendary Emmanuel Okala, (the Cat) should be forgiven for saying Eyiama is the best.
Eyiama is good no doubt, Peter Fregene, PETER Rufia (Dodo mayana), Raymond king, Best Ogedengbe etc were great goalkeepers but Okala remains the legend.

It is like saying Okocha is better than the Chairman Christian CHUKWU
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Pauliaette(m): 8:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
Vincent Inyeama any day any time, the most capped goalkeeper of all time.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by oluseg2: 8:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
You are wrong.

Peter Rufia is still the greatest of all time.

FuckingMachine:
Vincent Enyeama

None of the others achieved half of his feats. Rufai was a basket so don't even try that rubbish. Rufai benefitted from being part of Nigeria's most gifted set ever and every time the ball got to him, a goal was sure to be conceded. The 70/80s set were just nostalgia. If they were so good how come Nigeria didn't qualify for any World Cup in their time winning only ONE AFCON?

Vincent Enyeama hands down abeg.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by mysticwarrior(m): 8:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Ibime:

Rufai was not a basket till 1998 when he was too old and they dragged him out of International retirement when Ike Shorunmu broke his leg and Abiodun Baruwa proved incompetent in a 5-1 loss to Yugoslavia

Rufai in 1998 was just doing Naija a favour, he was way over the hill by then. Rufai prior to that was quality
my brother leave am make him dey talk, while Vincent Enyama remains the most decorated and fanceed Nigerian goal keeper, Peter Rufai aka dodo mayana is the greatest Nigerian goal keeper, I watched Rufai in Morocco 88 nations cup he was outstanding there, Senegal 92 he was a rock, Tunisia 94 the guy delivered us from the hands of the deadly ivorians who were the defending champions.

Diring USA 94 world cup he was exceptional, it's a pity that Rufai was only remembered for the 4 - 1 defeat Nigeria suffered in the hands of Denmark in France 98, he was no longer in form during france 98 world cup.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Busu001: 8:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
I was expecting to see only Vincent on sat list. He is the best undoubtedly.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Bamsbams(m): 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2023
VINCENT ENYEAMA...
Still my best goalkeeper so far!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by ObabiOlorunosi(m): 8:43pm On Nov 26, 2023
tunjijones:
1. Aloy Agu
2. Ike Shorunmu
3. Vincent Enyeama
4. Peter Rufai
5. Patrick okala

Vincent Enyeama. Playing at the world cups and winning man of the match on two occassions is no mean feat. Coupled with his outstanding saves for Clubs and Country.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by stasius: 8:53pm On Nov 26, 2023
Enyeama nwoke ọma.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by femi4: 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2023
zoghys:

So was the whole team. Sand took our best defender in taribo to school. We underated Denmark and we paid for it.
May be you missed the opening match against spain
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by femi4: 8:56pm On Nov 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Dosu never kept for the Super Eagles.
He did briefly in the world cup qualifier before his accident

The November 1996 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Burkina Faso, which the Super Eagles won 2–0 in Lagos. The friendly against Morocco in December 1996, where he kept another clean sheet, and the FIFA World Cup qualifier against Kenya in January 1997. The match against Kenya which ended in a 1–1 draw, was his last game for the Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by poseidon12: 9:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
tunjijones:
1. Aloy Agu
2. Ike Shorunmu
3. Vincent Enyeama
4. Peter Rufai
5. Patrick okala

You left out Emma Okala, the senior brother to Patrick Okala.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by ottersberger(m): 9:14pm On Nov 26, 2023
gentleguy1975:
Op,is best ogedengbe not worth a mention?he was in goal for the green eagles at the 1980 nation cup!

How did he forget upstairs, Emmanuel Okala?.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Farfalla(f): 9:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
Vincent Enyeama for me, but my dad would always talk about Peter Rufai.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Tonnyray: 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2023
TechBaron:
Peter Rufai

I was born in the 80's

I saw the best days of the Super Eagles.
Same here but I'll give it to Vincent Enyeama hands down.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Lamasta(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2023
Enyeama first then others
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by gifted21(f): 10:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
StormpyBee:
Joseph Dosu for me.
His Olympic feat!

The golden boy
Joseph Dosu
Olympics
(and USA 94) cant remember who was the keeper then, Heard he had an accident
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:16pm On Nov 26, 2023
bigman001:

Same here, after Enyeama , i will give it to Peter Rufai.
Rufai was a very good keeper.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:46pm On Nov 26, 2023
FuckingMachine:

How did Rufai concede to them?
Final of AFCON. VERY tough match. That Zambia team was very strong, very skillful.

The match ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria. Rufai made many, even one on one. He was just like Manuel Nuer of Bayern Munich.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by Telltruth123: 11:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127166792:
Vincent Enyeama has it πŸ† πŸ† πŸ† .

No doubt.....

Him show World's Best pepper for that match dat year..... ❀️

May that smile never depart from you ❀️
Amen

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by caracas: 11:54pm On Nov 26, 2023
Tjra:

I'm an old guy like you too.

Vincent Enyeama is the GOAT.

No contest
So someone born in the 80s is old?
Na wa oooo
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by sirchim(m): 12:37am On Nov 27, 2023
StormpyBee:
Joseph Dosu for me.
His Olympic feat!
No be lie, DOSU did credibly great, but I give it to ENYEAMA
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Goalkeeper Of All Time? by oliverano: 5:33am On Nov 27, 2023
ezegenigbonine:

Stop arguing Peter is the best

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Haiti Vs Nigeria: U-20 Women’s World Cup - 0 - 1 (Full Time) / The Reason Why Morocco Will Beat France / Pako, The Midget That Dines With Emmanuel Adebayor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.