Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank (16241 Views)

Banker Friday Ayegba Arrested For Stealing N14.8m From Customer's Account / Mycredit Investments Announces Repayment Of ₦‎3.7 Billion To Private Investors / ₦22 Million Stolen From Customer’s Car Parked Inside Access Bank In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by aminulive: 1:45pm On Nov 26, 2023
In a shocking revelation, Peter Ezeike, a customer of Ecobank, has accused the bank of orchestrating the theft of N3,755,000(Three million, Seven Hundred and Fifty-Five Thousand naira) from his savings account during the period of 2018 to 2019.

Ezeike, who had been residing in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) since 2017, returned to Nigeria in 2021 only to discover the significant financial loss.

According to him, the unauthorized transactions took place while he was away in the UAE, with all the activities on his account between 2018 and 2019 transpiring without his knowledge. Despite being the sole operator of a savings account, he found that deposits and cash withdrawals occurred without his consent, including a suspicious payment of N100,000 to an unfamiliar name, Aderinoye A. Quazeem.

The customer suspects insider involvement and points to his prior relationship with Ibrahim Akeyan, a former Ecobank staff at the Sango Ota branch in Ogun State. Ezeike alleges that he frequently left money with Akeyan when unable to join a queue for deposits before relocating to Dubai.

Speaking to the Foundation for Investigative Journalism, Ezeike said; “Mr. Ibrahim Akeyan was an employee of Ecobank at its Sango Ota branch in Ogun State. He was a regular face. Several times I would leave deposit money with him if I was unable to join a queue for some reason. We related freely and he knew my account details. There was never a problem then,” the Dubai returnee said.

“He is the person I suspect had tampered with my account due to that relationship I had with him. Some events that played out after I reported the missing money to the bank further reinforced my suspicion against him and even the bank itself.”

When contacted, Akeyan denied knowing Ezeike; "I don’t know the person. I dealt with many customers and I cannot remember the name you are mentioning. The customer should approach the bank for whatever issues they have. I handed over properly before exiting the bank, and if there are questions for me to answer, it is the bank that will invite or call me.", he said.

Upon his return to Nigeria in 2021, Ezeike was astonished to find an insufficient balance in his account. A detailed examination of his statement of account covering November 1, 2018, to March 30, 2021, revealed a series of unauthorized withdrawals and deposits, all transacted in his name at the Idi-Iroko branch.

Attempts to clarify the situation were met with further complications. Ezeike applied for another statement of account at the bank’s branch at Redemption Camp of the Redeemed Christian Church of God on November 22 the bank official who attended to him said his account had been blocked and the request could not be processed.

The accused branch of Ecobank initiated an investigation but has yet to provide any resolution or restitution to the customer.

Ezeike reported the suspicious transactions to Aderemi Adeleke, the branch's customer service manager, and Olajide Folake, the branch manager, seeking a thorough investigation. However, the situation took an unexpected turn when Ibrahim Akeyan contacted Ezeike on his newly acquired Nigerian phone number.

Perplexed by this development, Ezeike questioned the bank officials, only to discover that they had released his contact information to Ibrahim without his consent. The justification provided was to inform Ibrahim of the investigation before potential arrest. This revelation left Ezeike disheartened and further fueled his mistrust in the bank's handling of the matter.

Despite four scheduled meetings, Ibrahim Akeyan failed to attend any, raising more questions about the bank's commitment to resolving the issue. The case has now reached the attention of the head office, prompting a virtual meeting. However, Ibrahim's non-compliance continues to hinder progress, leaving Ezeike in the dark regarding the status of the investigation and the recovery of his funds.

This incident highlights the urgent need for a comprehensive investigation into the alleged misconduct, and Ecobank is under scrutiny for potential internal lapses that may have facilitated the unauthorized transactions.

As the investigation unfolds, the bank faces growing pressure to address these serious allegations and provide a transparent account of the events surrounding the disappearance of Peter Ezeike's funds.

https://politicsnigeria.com/trouble-as-n3-7-million-dissappears-from-cutomers-account-in-ecobank/

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by immortalcrown(m): 1:48pm On Nov 26, 2023
Hmmmn!

Every form of safety is a miracle in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Aminobrown(m): 2:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
The bank will pay for every penny lost if u get a good lawyer

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:20pm On Nov 26, 2023
#EFCC

This is very serious. All the managers in the branch are against the customer, instead of supporting him. Perhaps they might have gathered to share the customer's 3.7m without his knowledge/consent while he was away in UAE.

Customers should start withdrawing their funds immediately from ecobank 1,2,3....

Very, very disgusting.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by ceasarebimodei(m): 2:53pm On Nov 26, 2023
Abegi!!! Ecobank na bank? Since when Dem discover billions lootted by that their female MD (then oceanic Bank) I cease to recognize them as a bank. Bank with them at ur risk.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Xscape1993(m): 3:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Criminals everywhere...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by chiiraq802(m): 3:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
All Nigerian Banks are useless. All of them.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by verybadmouth(m): 10:55pm On Nov 26, 2023
Staffs that stole the money have possibly japa cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by julybaba(m): 11:03pm On Nov 26, 2023
In saner climes , customers are always right. But when it comes to Nigeria banks, customers can go to hell.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Zidane199(m): 11:03pm On Nov 26, 2023
I can't wait to see the day Nigerians will match against Nigeria banks. #EndBank

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by BiasedNairaland: 11:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Stop keeping money you're not using in naira. Stop keeping them in banks. Buy Bitcoin. If you keep large amount in Nigrian banks, it's a matter of time before the robbers in the bank (criminal staff) or the robbers on the street (bad police) or even the boss robbers (professional armed robbers and kidnappers) steal it from you. I remember once driving from Lagos to Abuja at night, how some policemen stopped me somewhere in Kogi or Edo and made me transfer some money to an account on a trumped up charge. If you're alone and at night, you just have no option. Folks, think crypto to save yourself from undue theft. Save the bulk of your cash in a hardware wallet at home and not on your phone. Nigerians are endangered species.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Oritna94(m): 11:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
I have stopped leaving money in my naija accounts. I don't trust them. Na my Saudi account be the sure deal.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Lumarstone: 11:11pm On Nov 26, 2023
The same happing to me with my Ecobank account. Is like they programmed my own account number that anytime a deposit is made into the account, the alart that follows it will be debit alert in less than two minutes. And I think that there are fraudsters among ecobank bankers. The bank management should do something urgently or they loss greater number of their customers.
Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by shortgun(m): 11:12pm On Nov 26, 2023
I don't see any comment labeling the entire ethnic group of Ibrahim Akeyan as thieves.
This thread would've gotten to 15 pages by now if Ejike was the kleptomaniac bank staff and Ibrahim Akeya was the victim.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by ipobarecriminals: 11:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
shocked shocked shocked
Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by SpencerM(m): 11:24pm On Nov 26, 2023
aminulive:

https://politicsnigeria.com/trouble-as-n3-7-million-dissappears-from-cutomers-account-in-ecobank/

Unfortunately nothing would be done they would just keep going circles till you are frustrated, Me wey no even travel go anywhere na under my nose FirstBank made an unauthorized transaction on my corporate account since September till now nothing. Its a useless system and an hopeless situation we found ourselves in.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by lendahand(m): 11:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
BiasedNairaland:
Stop keeping money you're not using in naira. Stop keeping them in banks. Buy Bitcoin.
does binance P2P work in Canada??

1 Like

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by money121(m): 11:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
Wahala
Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by sharone21(f): 11:40pm On Nov 26, 2023
In ECOBANK, you have to first install app( not too easy doing) to be able to use USSD code or it's web service effectively..... Zero benefit in other African countries.... But with it's ATM card, one can get money from other bankseg Kuda bank, Palmpay or even Quikteller.

Anyway, the worst bank is Polaris bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by BiasedNairaland: 11:56pm On Nov 26, 2023
lendahand:

Must not be Binance or any CEX. Store value offline in hardware wallets and use CEXs only when you want to liquidate.
Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by GODPUNISHALABI: 11:57pm On Nov 26, 2023
After voting in a drug dealer after hunger wire their papa they now resort to skull mining or bank fraud......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Mayhem1: 12:03am On Nov 27, 2023
lendahand:
Do not deposit your life savings on Binance, I hope you know that Binance is an crypto exchange and not a crypto wallet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by akeemqaz: 12:05am On Nov 27, 2023
I don't even keep money in bank unless I'm ready to pay my school fee. I also have reasons to keep money online and in crypto. But most especially in crypto cos I earn with different kinds of staking like Bitget earn products, Defi lending and more. Apart from all these, naira depreciate everyday. So, why should I keep money in it?

1 Like

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Connected1: 12:08am On Nov 27, 2023
If the culprit was an Igbo or Yoruba, you would have seen hateful speeches everywhere.

What's the origin of the feud between Igbos and Yorubas here on Nairaland 🤷

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by robbase: 12:21am On Nov 27, 2023
ECO Bank is a terrible bank. I closed my account with them, when I was withdrawing from their ATM machine, and saw some N50 notes in between the N1000 notes .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by chigator2: 1:16am On Nov 27, 2023
Afonjeez stealing a developer's money

3 Likes

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by Dybala11(m): 1:31am On Nov 27, 2023
Connected1:
If the culprit was an Igbo or Yoruba, you would have seen hateful speeches everywhere.

What's the origin of the feud between Igbos and Yorubas here on Nairaland 🤷
Who knows, but the candidacy of Tinubu and Obi in the last presidential election fuelled the feud the more.

3 Likes

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by tammyf: 1:32am On Nov 27, 2023
BiasedNairaland:
Stop keeping money you're not using in naira. Stop keeping them in banks. Buy Bitcoin. If you keep large amount in Nigrian banks, it's a matter of time before the robbers in the bank (criminal staff) or the robbers on the street (bad police) or even the boss robbers (professional armed robbers and kidnappers) steal it from you. I remember once driving from Lagos to Abuja at night, how some policemen stopped me somewhere in Kogi or Edo and made me transfer some money to an account on a trumped up charge. If you're alone and at night, you just have no option. Folks, think crypto to save yourself from undue theft. Save the bulk of your cash in a hardware wallet at home and not on your phone. Nigerians are endangered species.

And if you buy BTC and it depreciates nko..? What will be your fate then?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by tammyf: 1:33am On Nov 27, 2023
akeemqaz:
I don't even keep money in bank unless I'm ready to pay my school fee. I also have reasons to keep money online and in crypto. But most especially in crypto cos I earn with different kinds of staking like Bitget earn products, Defi lending and more. Apart from all these, naira depreciate everyday. So, why should I keep money in it?
And wat happens when btc depreciates ?
Re: ₦‎3.7 Million 'Dissappears' From Customer's Account In Ecobank by freemi(m): 1:37am On Nov 27, 2023
immortalcrown:
Hmmmn!

Every form of safety is a miracle in Nigeria.
lols no b lie

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Understanding Bank Lending / Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / Naira Exchanges For 414 A Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.