Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,882 members, 7,810,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead (10347 Views)

Appeal Court Upholds Maina’s Eight-year Sentence For N2.1bn Fraud / Breaking: Court Orders Dokpesi To Enter Defence In Alleged N2.1bn Fraud / N2.1bn Fraud: Dokpesi Received Funds Without Executing Any Contract – Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by FreeStuffsNG: 2:05am On Nov 27, 2023
Traffic offenders in 12 Nigerian states pay N2.1bn fines in 9 months, Lagos leads

In the span of nine months, at least 12 state governments in Nigeria have received N2.1 billion fines imposed on individuals who violated traffic rules.

The disclosure came from Open Nigerian States, a website supported by budgIT that acts as a repository for government budget data.

Lagos State, Nigeria's commercial hub, registered the highest number of traffic offenders, leading the state to receive N1.9 billion during the reviewed period.

In the span of nine months, traffic offenders in at least 12 Nigerian states paid N2.1bn fines in 9 months.

Lagos State, Nigeria's commercial hub, registered the highest number of traffic offenders, leading the state to receive N1.9 billion during the reviewed period, PUNCH reported.

Osun state followed with N32.4 million, trailed by Oyo (N27.4 million), Ogun (N20.5 million), Plateau (N14.6 million), Delta (N9.1 million), Niger (N7.9 million), Cross-Rivers (N3.6 million), Enugu (N2.7 million), Kogi (N1.8 million), and Adamawa (N0.987 million).

The prevalence of fines in Lagos, is unsurprising, mainly owing to its dense population. Lagos is the most populous state in Nigeria, which is also the most populous country in Africa.

As contained in the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, 2018, first-time offenders caught driving without a valid driver’s license face a fine of N20,000. For subsequent violations, the penalty includes either a N20,000 fine or an additional penalty of vehicle impoundment.

Disobeying traffic control personnel attracts N20,000 for a first-time offender, while subsequent offenders pay a fine of N30,000 and an additional penalty for the vehicle being impounded or going for (Lagos State Drivers’ Institute) LASDRI Training.

Failure to pay a penalty fee within the prescribed time attracts double the initial penalty.

In an earlier report, a study conducted by the Danne Institute for Research revealed that Lagos loses N4 trillion annually due to traffic congestion.

It also identifies behavioural factors as the primary culprits, including poor road infrastructure, activities of agberos at bus stops, buses picking up passengers, and violation of traffic laws.

The report revealed that Lagosians spend an average of 2.21 hours commuting daily, with 45 per cent spending more than two hours.

https://africa.businessinsider.com/local/markets/traffic-offenders-in-12-nigerian-states-pay-n21bn-fines-in-9-months-lagos-leads/dw75sjd

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by FreeStuffsNG: 2:05am On Nov 27, 2023
It's interesting that the top 4 states are the Yoruba South West states. It could mean that there are more cars and vehicle transportation in the South West or traffic laws are better enforced in the South West more than other parts of Nigeria.

In my opinion, anyone who can afford to pay this huge fines could have saved this money and use it to improve his or her personal finances. Rising payment of fines is a sign of rising disposable income. Please drive safe and obey all the traffic laws.

As the yuletide period starts from next week, please let us not drink or get intoxicated and drive. The fines are necessary deterrent so let's comply.

Lagos State has invested a lot to enforce traffic laws yet most drivers don't obey. Before the cameras were installed, at night, people will drive right from Admiralty toll plaza to Bonny camp without stopping for once to obey the traffic lights and I keep wondering if those of us stopping are serving a punishment.

If you can't obey our Lagos state laws , including our traffic laws, please stay back in wherever you are because if you come to Lagos and break our laws, the law will take its course and no amount of blackmail that it's targeted against your tribe or non-Yoruba will work.

Please obey our Lagos state traffic laws and drive safe. God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 2:10am On Nov 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Traffic offenders in 12 Nigerian states pay N2.1bn fines in 9 months, Lagos leads

https://africa.businessinsider.com/local/markets/traffic-offenders-in-12-nigerian-states-pay-n21bn-fines-in-9-months-lagos-leads/dw75sjd

The fines will still be relooted by Thieves in Govt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Balistic4: 2:13am On Nov 27, 2023
Traffic offense in Nigeria is highly subjective. It depends on your status and the mood of the officer. For example, taxi drivers and rickety cars don't commit traffic offense. Uniform men and patrol vehicles hardly commit traffic offense.

Selective justice is really bad. All "normal" road users understands what I'm saying

sparko1:

For uniform men, there's a good reason for that.

Yes, same reason you'll throttle full speed because the light in front of you is green, only to collide with a patrol vehicle that the driver is too big to wait like others. You must be one of them.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Edoreborn: 2:16am On Nov 27, 2023
Hmmmmm
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by TANID(m): 2:19am On Nov 27, 2023
Mod no dey sleep
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by PoliteActivist: 2:21am On Nov 27, 2023
Misleading stat. 90% of traffic "fines" are bribes that never gets recorded anywhere. You really believe there is a state in Nigeria with less than 1m in two months??!! Beyond ridiculous!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by PoliteActivist: 2:24am On Nov 27, 2023
TANID:
Mod no dey sleep

How do you know mod is in Naija??
It is 9:30 AM here in Hong Kong!

6 Likes

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by TANID(m): 2:26am On Nov 27, 2023
PoliteActivist:

How do you know mod is in Naija?? It is 9:30 AM here in Hong Kong!
oh shocked that Was True Thanks for That.
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by bid4rich(m): 2:28am On Nov 27, 2023
As expected, Lagos no dey carry last. Some will deliberately break traffic rule not minding the penalty. If that is not craze then I don't know what it is.

Eko o ni baje Oooo

6 Likes

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by yusman493(m): 2:30am On Nov 27, 2023
Na chop the politicians go chop all this money..
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by drlaykay(m): 2:34am On Nov 27, 2023
I can confidently say that the revenue would have been more than triple this sum. The bribes taken by lastma, road safety, police etc is way more than the remitted revenue

2 Likes

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by adamusuleiman1: 2:47am On Nov 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
It's interesting that the top 4 states are the Yoruba South West states. It could mean that there are more cars and vehicle transportation in the South West or traffic laws are better enforced in the South West more than other parts of Nigeria.

In my opinion, anyone who can afford to pay this huge fines could have saved this money and use it to improve his or her personal finances. Rising payment of fines is a sign of rising disposable income. Please drive safe and obey all the traffic laws.

As the yuletide period starts from next week, please let us not drink or get intoxicated and drive. The fines are necessary deterrent so let's comply.

Lagos State has invested a lot to enforce traffic laws yet most drivers don't obey. Before the cameras were installed, at night, people will drive right from Admiralty toll plaza to Bonny camp without stopping for once to obey the traffic lights and I keep wondering if those of us stopping are serving a punishment.

If you can't obey our Lagos state laws , including our traffic laws, please stay back in wherever you are because if you come to Lagos and break our laws, the law will take its course and no amount of blackmail that it's targeted against your tribe or non-Yoruba will work.

Please obey our Lagos state traffic laws and drive safe. God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
I remember Allen roundabout popularly called The Lion's den due to the high rate of traffic offences commited around that roundabout. The tickets are often generated in areas where there are more traffic or vehicular activities.

4 Likes

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by dahgifted(m): 2:48am On Nov 27, 2023
The Money will be looted and maybe a lesser considerable sum will be remitted.
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Absuchat(m): 2:50am On Nov 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

It simply means.....mad people full south west.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by adamusuleiman1: 2:52am On Nov 27, 2023
Absuchat:

That rule must apply to other developed regions of the world too like London, New York, Toronto, Los Angeles e.t.c Na mad people full those cities too since traffic offence commited in those cities are often higher than other less prosperous areas in their respective countries.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Yestogood: 3:01am On Nov 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

From your write up, indigenous Lagosians don't break traffic regulations and only those from elsewhere do? It will be catastrophic for Nigeria's future prospects if we don't stop thinking like this.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by FreeStuffsNG: 3:02am On Nov 27, 2023
Absuchat:

Bestmanfornow:

Southwest have highest numbers of mad people

I don't think that traffic fines is used as a basis.

Have you considered that siting a large number of psychiatric centres in a particular region can be used instead of traffic fines?

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by FreeStuffsNG: 3:07am On Nov 27, 2023
Yestogood:

From your write up, indigenous Lagosians don't break traffic regulations and only those from elsewhere do? It will be catastrophic for Nigeria's future prospects if we don't stop thinking like this.
It will help you to read well so you don't contaminate other people's views with your biases. If you are familiar with Lagos, you will not even struggle to understand my comment. Since you are not from Lagos, I will suggest that you follow Radio Lagos 107.5 FM or Lagos Traffic Radio.

It's a pity when you type comments and it immediately reminds one of this lamentation of Prof Soyinka.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by diamond68: 4:09am On Nov 27, 2023
grin
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by oz4real83(m): 4:11am On Nov 27, 2023
I'm not seeing Edo state on the list because most of the fines go to private pockets shocked shocked. If you know how private traffic offenders are treated in Edo state, you will be angry to realize that all those fines went into thin air with Edo not on this list embarassed

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Astrogeotech: 4:11am On Nov 27, 2023
Platinum
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by DrIkB: 4:17am On Nov 27, 2023
The amount made from delta State is in Correct, those guys must be embezzling that money
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by SAMBARRY: 4:19am On Nov 27, 2023
Good

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by joyandfaith: 4:44am On Nov 27, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Misleading stat. 90% of traffic "fines" are bribes that never gets recorded anywhere. You really believe there is a state in Nigeria with less than 1m in two months??!! Beyond ridiculous!

Exactly. Do you know why? Fines are outrageous and not compatible with minimum wage..No traffic offences should be more than #5k with or without community services . With outrageous fines, many offenders would rather brbe by paying lesser amounts.
SW lead because thugs in uniform like vio/lastma/frsc are fine collectors.

2 Likes

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by MasterTee007: 4:46am On Nov 27, 2023
We need more of this to become a sane country. All these weekly accidents MUST stop. Use the funds to hire more traffic enforcers, so you can collect more funds and reduce the deaths on our highways. If you can get people to obey traffic laws, there would be less traffic and greater efficiency and productivity.

FreeStuffsNG:

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Pristine664: 4:48am On Nov 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Lol let's wait for those people that manufacture statistics from their anus to tell us how Yorubas are the ones suffering most in Nigeria while they've all turned Billionaires in their own region. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by Sharatan(m): 4:49am On Nov 27, 2023
LASTMA don use Lagos state motorists cash out big time

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by NwaliE01: 4:50am On Nov 27, 2023
If government is strict with penalties, I think that revenue is way too small. Despite how good Australians drive, their government made over $1 billion last year alone. About N743, 000,000,000. This is a great source of revenue and a way to improve traffic safety in Nigeria.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/f30b5b99-beb3-4536-ba67-e51c56adee56

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by atobs4real(m): 5:00am On Nov 27, 2023
Lagos don cash out ooo and am yet to pay my ₦20, 000 fine
Re: Traffic Offenders In 12 Nigerian States Pay N2.1bn Fines In 9 Months, Lagos Lead by SUNNINO(m): 5:02am On Nov 27, 2023
In Lagos non yorubas are treated differently and they even set motorist up, fake statistics and propaganda
Balistic4:
Traffic offense in Nigeria is highly subjective. It depends on your status and the mood of the officer. For example, taxi drivers and rickety cars don't commit traffic offense. Uniform men and patrol vehicles hardly commit traffic offense.

Selective justice is really bad. All "normal" road users understands what I'm saying

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dimeji Bankole Finally Arrested By EFCC / 3-day Ultimatum To Abandoned Vehicles’ Owners In Lagos / Budget 2016: Panel To Submit Report To Buhari Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.