Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders (22418 Views)

Photos Of Township Hall Road, Igbaja Constructed By Kwara State Government / Shameful Faces Of Sango-Ota Township Roads - Guardian / Ongoing Construction Of Nsukka Township Stadium In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Wutinky: 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
SonOfDSoil01:
how is that your fathers business grin? Those people from ogun, oyo and the rest are they not yorubas with their brothers in lagos? Or you think Sw is like your primitive and backward region wherw Anambala man is seen has greater than ebonyi man grin with your herd and clannish mentality? No Osu man we are more liberal and sophisticated than that grin i am an aborigine of lagos and i am okay witb my fellow yoruba brothers holding any position, in as much as he is not a chinedu or emeka from eastern jungle grin

liberal and sophisticated my foot, stop being too emotional and face reality ..... your parents might have spent many decades in Lagos does not make you Indegene of Lagos and being born in Lagos does not make you an Indegene too. Use your sense for once in your life.
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by ajepako(f): 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2023
Basic123:

You are not Igbo and you are not benin then you a LIAR!

Yes sir cheesy
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by VEHINTOLAR: 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2023
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Wutinky: 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
haslaw:

Come to Kano and tell me that na...

I want to check something.

Me I'm waiting for any IPOB cannibal that will come to Kano and tell me Kano is no man's land

Why do you want me to come to a backward place like Kano? do i look like your fellow Headslamming terrorist? grin
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
itsene:

The reason you are struggling is simply due to dishonesty. You are putting sentences together to support a point of view. This is politics, not history.
The reason is not important because anybody can give whatever reason...you can counter that what he wrote with alternative information to expose the dishonesty
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Padipadi(m): 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Benin ruled over the enter lagos any yoruba slavs that want to claim rubbish will be flogged

You're a small boy

Am a Benin guy and I will put your arrogance to calmness today

No oromiyan had anything to do with the benins
Ok. Methuselah of Benin, Oranyan was ya conqueror. His descendants ruled over ya ancestors. Drink sniper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by djseanjohn77: 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2023
Padipadi:
Interesting.

To buttress the facts by the op, Lagos (Lagos de curamo) is a Portuguese word meaning lakes. As you all know, Lagos has many lakes. Also, the word Eko or Oko means Farm. [b]Evidence: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos#:~:text=Lagos%20means%20%22lakes%22%20in%20Portuguese,%22%20and%20later%20%22Lagos%22.

Ancient Lagos was used for farming by Olofin who was the first ruler of Lagos before Ashipa. Both Olofin and Ashipa are Yorubamen. [/b]
The first Oba of Lagos is Ashipa a man from Awori tribe of Yorubas.
He went to Benin as a war Chief os he had dispute with Olofin, another Yoruba chief who was the ruler of Lagos at that time. Around this time, the Oba of Benin had trae routes from Benin to Lagos & probably saw it as an opportunity to annex Lagos cos it's a place where trade was booming at that time cos of it's nearness to the sea. It's to be noted that Ashipa had access to Benin palace via trade. So he was assisted with warriors who defeated Olofin. Ashipa, a Yorubaman became first king of Lagos and his descendants were kings till today.

So if the Oba of Benin that made recent talk must talk, he should only talk about the influence of Benin in Lagos and not that Benins owned or founded Lagos.
Lastly, Lagos is Yorubaland. The language, culture, tradition and everything is Yoruba and it's foundation is Yoruba. However at various points, it has mixed with other tribes. Eben in present day, Igbos, Hausas dominated some parts of the state and I hope in future, Hausas or Igbos won't come and lay some claims.

It's important to know history and understand history with common sense.
For Yorubas, a pdf of their history can be gotten here. It's named History of Yorubas by Rev Samuel Johnson. It's the most concrete do far as at 2023 AD. Forgotten Books
https://www.forgottenbooks.com › ...PDF
History of the Yorubas

As a Lagosian, i agree with much of these assertions, but must also note that, the place largely dominated by these researches and hsitories are mainly the lagos island and partly Mainland. The othe rparts of Lagos had settlers who were majorly fishermen/ basket weavers and all other art works related to riverine. The Aworis & the Ogu (Egun) dominate dmuch of these other parts of Lagos. Most people for instance calls evrryone from Badagry, Egun, but the real name is Ogu (Gunu). Apart from this, there are other minority tribes grouped alongside these major Ogu tribes, they are not Ogu, we have the Defi, their language is distinct in manyu ways from the real Ogu, with semblance coming in Yoruba and Ogu. True Defi or Devi(s) will tell you they are not Ogu (egun) but every Defi understands the language Ogu, but majority of Ogu will not understand Defi unless you have lived amongst them. The cultureare similar, with striking difference, Defis (men) knee on one leg to greet an elder, while female kneel on both. Etc

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by happney65: 12:11pm On Nov 28, 2023
Na mumu before now doesn't know Lagos was created and owned by the Awori's and ljebu's.

Not you coming from Okitipupa claiming Lagos
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by gregyboy(m): 12:12pm On Nov 28, 2023
Padipadi:
Booked to nuke any Benin or Igbo saying trash!

Benin controlled the entirety of lagos and Ijebu if you want to argir I will bring source you're just a small boy who is emotionally paralysized

1 Like

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by SonOfDSoil01: 12:12pm On Nov 28, 2023
Wutinky:

liberal and sophisticated my foot, stop being too emotional and face reality ..... your parents might have spent many decades in Lagos does not make you Indegene of Lagos and being born in Lagos does not make you an Indegene too. Use your sense for once in your life.

Here we go again grin why is it that every flat head always have an erection whenever i tell them my Origin has a true born lagosian grin i know you flat head get intimidated by a lago yoruba boy angry or you think no one comes from lagos? And why will i lie about my Origin just to impress you? OSU if you care to know my paternal grand parent are both from lagos with my grandfather from the egba clan in lagos island and my grandmother Egun from badagry, so since you know my history better than me....i want to hear it grin now you can see how foolish you are?

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:13pm On Nov 28, 2023
Wutinky:

Where did he say that his parents were born in lagos?

Now Shinedu sukudi,tell us who is qualified to be indigen of LAGOS since na you Igb0 miscreants dey determine lagos indigens for the yorubas now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:14pm On Nov 28, 2023
gregyboy:

Benin controlled the entirety of lagos and Ijebu if you want to argir I will bring source you're just a small boy who is emotionally paralysized
So because England once controlled Nigeria they own and founded Nigeria.

I don't believe a whole benin tribe can be mumu sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2023
ajepako:

Yes sir cheesy
.berra
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2023
abdeefggh:

how is eti osa an edo word?? This is beyond your mental capacity mr winter cap.
Osa means lagoon
Eti means Edge

Etc osa means lagoon edge

This people are making yorubas look at them as fools and desperate Ignoramus

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by haslaw(m): 12:17pm On Nov 28, 2023
Wutinky:

Why do you want me to come to a backward place like Kano? do i look like your fellow Headslamming terrorist? grin

Even ipob cannibals can call somewhere backward.

Kano state alone can buy the whole of the SE states in Nigeria. SE cannibals are fund of counting fly-over bridges when they come to Kano for the first time because there are no such bridges in their primitive region..

The most prinitive part of Nigeria is the SE where cannibalism is still rampant. Many SE can't even stay in their region because of canibalism, UGM, IPOB, kidnaping, ritualism, ocultic, otokoto, ashawo, baby factory, etc
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by joefelin2345: 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2023
adamusuleiman1:

Very informative..

What about Egan-Ajana near Igando &Akesan on the way to LASU?
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by SonOfDSoil01: 12:20pm On Nov 28, 2023
tollyboy5:

Well, i don't know how the indigene stuff is done. But ilaje are not recognize natives of Lagos. We also have town like abule egba in Lagos yet egba are not recognized natives of Lagos.
that is a wrong notion, egba clan are native of lagos and pls dont try and rewrite history ..thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Padipadi(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2023
itsene:

The reason you are struggling is simply due to dishonesty. You are putting sentences together to support a point of view. This is politics, not history.
A yoruba chief in dispute with another yoruba chief runs to Benin for assistance, why?
There were warriors in ibadan, ife, oyo etc, why bypass them?
I no dey struggle o. Na you and ya Benin people get inferiority complex. Ashipa didn't go to Oyo, Ibadan etc cos he already had close rapport with Benins. And you Benins, aren't you descendants of aboriginal Yorubas?
So why are you struggling with facts and realities?
Why are Yoruba words, gods, goddess and identity so common among you all if una no migrate from them?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Padipadi(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2023
gregyboy:

All of you saying small boy are mad. If Benin had control over Lagos and Ijebus it's understandable cos it might be a bigger kingdom than them at some point. But shey na Benin language not them dey speak there?
Shey na Benins founded those places?
If you don't v brain, download okrika brain from Google playstore.

1 Like

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Padipadi(m): 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2023
djseanjohn77:

As a Lagosian, i agree with much of these assertions, but must also note that, the place largely dominated by these researches and hsitories are mainly the lagos island and partly Mainland. The othe rparts of Lagos had settlers who were majorly fishermen/ basket weavers and all other art works related to riverine. The Aworis & the Ogu (Egun) dominate dmuch of these other parts of Lagos. Most people for instance calls evrryone from Badagry, Egun, but the real name is Ogu (Gunu). Apart from this, there are other minority tribes grouped alongside these major Ogu tribes, they are not Ogu, we have the Defi, their language is distinct in manyu ways from the real Ogu, with semblance coming in Yoruba and Ogu. True Defi or Devi(s) will tell you they are not Ogu (egun) but every Defi understands the language Ogu, but majority of Ogu will not understand Defi unless you have lived amongst them. The cultureare similar, with striking difference, Defis (men) knee on one leg to greet an elder, while female kneel on both. Etc
We are saying the same thing.
Benin people just get unnecessary ishan. Na why their king dey waka about dey cap trash!

2 Likes

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by delpee(f): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2023
ajepako:

Ok..

My two home towns are there

Epe ( father's side, Ogumodede)

Ikorodu , mother's side ( Ikorodu Oga, ilu ti ko si alaaru, lol)

Lagos Island : my place of birth ( known as well)

However, Shomolu/Bariga is not there oo

So, I will make myself the ' founder of shomolu- Bariga niyen oo grin grin

As e no get owner

Shomolu- Bariga axis is mainly occupied by Ijebu settlers. Those places used to be part of the old Western Region....up to Fadeyi/Mushin areas.

Lagos Territory started from Yaba/Surulere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by SonOfDSoil01: 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2023
Wutinky:

I've mentioned them in page 3 , they are Binis, Egun and Aworis
when we say you lack sense and education, its not an insult but the truth grin now here you embarassing your ancestor, so Awori and Egun are sub groub of Ibos right? You better seek knowledge cuz u lack one....i have Awori friends and they have never for once denied their ancenstry or Egun as a sub group of yoruba....Oponu without sense wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Iamgrey5(m): 12:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
gregyboy:

Bring the source of ijebu and the entirety of Lagos!

You think this is Benin bear parlour gist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by itsene: 12:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
Mikkeal:

YOU ARE A COMPOUND FOOL TRYING TO REWRITE THE HISTORY OF A STATE THAT BELONGED TO THE YORUBA WHEN YOU COME FROM A TRIBE WITH NO HISTORY ,IS NIGERIA A YORUBA ,HAUSA OR IGBO NAME YOU CHILD OF PERDITION THERE ARE INDIGENOUS PEOPLEI N LAGOS AND INDEED NIGERIA BEFORE THE PORTUGUESE OR ANY WHITE MAN CAME FOR THAT MATTER ,LAGOS IS YORUBA LAND PERIOD,WHERE IS THE BENNI INFLUENCE IN LAGOS RATHER THE YORUBA INFLUENCE IN BENNI IS THERE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE BECAUSE YOU DEFEATED SOMEONE' IN BATTLE DOES THAT MEAN YOU FOUND IT,LAGOS COMPRISE MANY TOWNS WHICH ONE DID THE BENNI FIND
You are screaming and not making any sense at all.
Is there any museums or shrine in yorubaland to situate and corroborate any of these claims?
A lot of what is called Benin history today was actually written by non- Benin writers
Their testimony for better or for worse, stands on its merit. No revision,no doctoring.
Benin doesn't use others as references but others can't do same. Why?
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Wutinky: 12:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
SonOfDSoil01:
why wait for binis, i thought you flat head are their spoke persons grin while not give us a detailed history since you have made it your life duty as a slave to the binis grin or you still think you are a majority tribe in this country? You will fovever be slave to the rest of us while you keep begging for your freedom grin Osu man

What concern Igbos in this matter? what I said pained you deeply because what i said is the truth, you only thrive in propaganda

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by ajepako(f): 12:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
delpee:

Shomolu- Bariga axis is mainly occupied by Ijebu settlers. Those places used to be part of the old Western Region....up to Fadeyi/Mushin areas.

Lagos Territory started from Yaba/Surulere.

I know..

In somolu bariga , you find streets named after Ijebu cities

Street names like Ode Remo, Ososa, Aiyepe, Ikenne, Abeokuta, etc

Proper Ijebu and Egba hood..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by SonOfDSoil01: 12:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
Basic123:

😆.

If not that yorubas will see it has family affair and treat you as just a naughty kid bro...Ibadan alone is enough to deal with you.

Leave the kids alone to be dancing naked in public, you should have asked him, whats the population of the whole benin people, that he is here beating dry chest grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Wutinky: 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2023
Basic123:

Ojukwu made a mistake of not adding your parents to 3000 000 Igbo souls he wasted before running with his own family to ivory Coast,honestly 😆

That was his only mistake,he was right in others 😆

When you are done serving the Emir of Ilorin in your ancestral land then call me. Let us discuss who is superior between you and the great Igbos likewise the Great Binis. I don't want to thread word with Fulani slaves. it's an insult to my Great tribe.
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Basic123: 12:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
ajailer:
Mushin looks like it used to be a place where humans were sacrificed then when you consider the name of it's founder.......Oduabore/ Aileru. That should roughly translate to "Oduabore(divination of human killers)/Aileru(we don't use slaves). To go there would have been scary then and even till now, the stigma still seems to hang on to it.

By the way, wetin be the ibos history. I am yet to know about their progenitors......

oh, I forgot that they are jews and their history is in the Talmud. grin grin
They Don't have anything..no war....no olden days warriors like Ogunmola,latoosa,lisabi etc..that is why they see OJUKWU as the next big thing after jollof rice.There notable history started from civil war.

1 Like

Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by mohammedmuz: 12:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
& some people still saying; Lagos is no man's land. Lol...
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by Wutinky: 12:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
Thebadpolitican:
Benin ruled over the enter lagos any yoruba slavs that want to claim rubbish will be flogged

grin grin Imagine slaves calling someone else slave, when you are done serving the Fulanis in Kwara state let us know. kiki grin
Re: The 62 Lagos Township And Their Founders by itsene: 12:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
ZKOSOSO:
Lagos belongs to the Edos.
Well documented by non- Benin chroniclers.
Separate politics from history, yorubas refuse to listen.
Anyway I partially blame Awolowo and the Action Group for this intoxication and obsession for power and dominance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Adeboye To Pray For Buhari, Jonathan In Abuja Tomorrow - Vanguard / Federal Appointment: Replace Okorocha's Daughter With Me; Imo Youth To Buhari / President Buhari Arrives Daura (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.