Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,980 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Romeo And Violet (Chapter 1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Romeo And Violet (Chapter 1) (136 Views)

One Night Stand With A Virgin Chapter 1 / Mrs. Violet Maduka (A Story Series) / Romeo Patapan: A Short Story By Simon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Romeo And Violet (Chapter 1) by Storymack: 8:09am On Nov 29, 2023
I was only sixteen years old and in the fifth year in the secondary. I lived with my uncle in a neighbouring town where I schooled because there were no secondary schools in those days in the village. As a result, young boys and girls in the village envied those who schooled in town. It was a rare privilege back then. Those of us who lived and schooled in town used the holiday period to flex in the village and speak big English, thereby intimidating the poor village folks.

The holiday was the worst time for village guys. That was because, they were very sure of losing their village girlfriends to the students who had come for holiday. The guys worked extremely hard to keep their girls. However, they always failed because the village girls always got carried away by the swagger of the students from town. The students dressed well, spoke big English and sang all the latest Western Hip Hop and Naija Afro Beats. I was one of these students and this is my story.

I had arrived the village immediately my school closed. I had communicated with my friends and we arranged to hit the village the same day. It was late in the evening when we got to the village. My friends headed for their various houses while I went to mine. My younger sisters and my mum were very pleased to see me. My sisters, especially, couldn’t wait to have me back at home. That was because I always made them merry. I was that kind of person who couldn’t pass you by the corridor without pulling your ears or cracking a joke. They loved my company.

One morning, my mum woke me early and asked me to go and fetch water from the public tap. I took two twenty liters containers and went to the tap. When I got there, I met a girl of about my own age who had come to fetch water, too. However, because I was a male and stronger, I intimidated her and told her I was going to fill my containers before she filled hers though she got there a few seconds before me, and it was her logical right to fetch before me. She didn’t want any trouble from me, so, she agreed. I was happy that I had intimidated her, but I was in for a little surprise.

The public tap had this type of faucets that required you to press it at the top for the water to flow. When I stood my container on the ground, I was going to start pressing the tap for it to flow when the girl interrupted. She said she was going to help me do it. I was confused. Was it not that same girl whom I had just maltreated? I was expecting her to be angry with me. What was happening? Why has she instead decided to do me a favour. My conscience almost killed me as I stood there waiting for my containers to be filled while she pressed the tap for me.

After she was done, I took my containers away and started walking home. I couldn’t even look into her eyes. She had just taught me a very good lesson in life. A lesson I haven’t forgotten to this day. She taught me never to pay evil for evil. I went home feeling guilty and promised myself that if fate allows it, someday, I was going to make it up to her by apologizing.

The next day, in the evening, my mum announced to everyone that we would be going to the farm the following morning. I hated going to the farm, not because I was lazy, but because the farm was too far. Each time my mum announced that we were going to the farm the next day, I spent the whole night grieving and imagining myself walking such a long distance, carrying a big bag of casava on my head.

Well, it was my regular job to fetch water whenever I was at the village. But then, my mum had announced we were going to the farm the following morning, and we would be needing water to wash and soak the casava we would harvest from the farm. That meant I had to fetch water that night instead of the following morning. I took my favourite two twenty liters containers and went to the public tap. As fate would have it, the lady I had met the other day, the one who had made me feel guilty because of her kindness was also there. I realized it was my opportunity to make amends.

“Good morning.” I greeted.

“Good morning.”

“My name is Romeo, how about you?”

“Violet.”

“Ok, I am sorry about the other day. I shouldn’t have treated you the way I did.”

“It’s alright. It’s normal with you guys who come from the city, especially the students. You think you have made it in life and can oppress anyone.”

“Oppress?” I asked. “That is a very strong word na? Anyway, I am making no excuses. Just want you to forgive me.”

“I did already. I already forgave you.”

“Thank you.”

“Welcome.”

I paused for a while as I watched the steady stream of water filled my containers.

“Where do you live?” I asked.

“In the mission compound.”

“Who do you live with?”

“With my elder brother and his family. How about you?”

“I live down there.” I said, pointing to our house which wasn’t far from the public tap.

“If you live in that house, it means Gift is your sister?” She asked.

“You are right. She is my younger sister. Do you know her?”

“Yes, we are friends.”

My containers were now filled to the brim. I said goodbye and started walking home, staggering under the weight of the two containers I was carrying in both hands. She carried her bucket on her head and went to the opposite direction. After a few seconds, my hands were becoming numb, so, I put the containers on the ground to rest my hands.

When I did this, I turned around to see if I could steal a glance at her. I regretted that immediately because she turned around at the exact same time, too. Our eyes met and I froze. She smiled, turned around and continued walking gracefully home. I decided that I would make inquiries about her and see what to do next.

The next morning, my mom, my two younger sisters, Gift and Faith and me were going to the farm, dressed in tattered farm clothing when I saw her. Her brother’s wife might have sent her to get some groceries from a corner store because she was holding a black plastic bag in one had. She looked at me and smiled. I smiled back. I wanted to talk to her but didn’t know how to do that with my mum present. So, I pretended to take a leak while my mum and sisters went ahead. She came close and smiled again.

“Where are u going to?” I asked.

“Actually, it’s "coming from". I am coming from that store there. Went to buy.”

“Ok, I am going to the farm with my family. Will you be at the tap tonight?” I asked.

“Maybe, I don’t know yet.”

“Alright, I will be there.” I told her without anybody asking me.

“Alright, better start going. Your mum is waiting for you.” She advised.

“OK. Bye.”

“Bye”

I quickened my pace so as to catch up with my mum and sisters. When I caught up with them. My mum asked,

“What were you and that girl talking about?” She asked.

“Nothing mum, just about school.” I lied.

“I don’t believe you. Ome ka nnaya. You are going to be like your father. Be careful. If you get someone’s child pregnant, you are on your own. I have told you my own.” My mum said.

I smiled. I barely even heard what she said. In my mind, I was seriously waiting for evening to come so that I could be able to see Violet again.

TO BE CONTINUED
https://storymack.com.ng/romeo-and-violet-chapter-2/

(1) (Reply)

Goodnovel Payment (how Do You Trace Money That Seems To Be Hanging?) / Christmas Gift Comes Early For Amazon Users. Download For FREE! / African Human Rights Art Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.