Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets (5198 Views)

Shell To Sell More Oil Assets In Nigeria / Niger Delta Militants Make 5 Demands, Write IOCs / Oil Bloc: Mass Sack Looms As More IOCs Mull Exit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by FreeStuffsNG: 2:25am On Dec 01, 2023
The House of Representatives has pledged to stop international oil companies (IOCs) operating in the Niger Delta from divestment of their offshore assets without being accountable to the environment.

The Chairman of the House of Reps Committee on Host Communities, Mr Dumnamene Dekor, said this during a technical session on the implementation of the Host Communities Development Trusts (HCDT), organised by Spaces for Change (S4C) with support from Ford Foundation.

Mr Dekor raised the alarm that since the passage of the Petroleum Industry Act in 2021, host communities have not experienced any positive change, rather have remained poor despite playing host to critical national assets; regretting that instead of IOCs to ensure full implementation of the PIA, they were on the move to divest.

He assured that the committee would use the law to ensure that those companies do not leave until they correct all the wrongs they have done in their host communities.

According to him, the team understands that many IOCs have started divesting from offshore, but noted that the House would not allow the process to be completed without responsibility.

He said, “I understand that some of them (IOCs) are beginning to divest very quickly, we will also make sure that we stop some of those divestments so that the people can benefit.

“Take for example, you cannot mess up an environment, degrade it to the level that it is, and then suddenly you begin to divest. When you divest you leave all that you have done and walk away.

“This committee will liaise and form partnerships with those affected host communities, to make sure that whether Shell or any other oil company are brought to account. We want people from host communities to begin to reap the benefits of oil and gas.”

The Committee also noted that the Host Community Development Trust implemented by some oil firms was not functional, explaining that oil-producing communities in Niger Delta have not started getting benefits from the PIA.

He said: “By the enactment of the PIA in 2021, this is 2023 and we have not seen the host communities stop complaining, meaning that the HCDTs are not operational.

“In most cases where they (oil companies) claim that they have inaugurated the HCDT, they have not started getting the benefit of the law and it leaves the people of host communities in the same way they have always been, and of course as a committee, we will stop at nothing in ensuring that the law is being obeyed.

“This means that all the regulatory agencies and oil companies must as a matter of urgency begin to take appropriate steps in ensuring that host communities are not allowed to continue wallowing in abject poverty, while they produce all that we need to oil the engine of the country, yet they have nothing to show for it.

“That is why the House and Senate came together to ensure that that law came into being. Yes, as I said, the PIA is not completely addressing the issues, just like every other law, but it is a watershed where we begin to feel that something has been put in place to guide the entire operations of the oil industry, and so it is an opportunity to call on NUPRC and all other regulators to ensure the oil companies do the right thing.”

https://businesspost.ng/economy/house-of-reps-to-halt-iocs-from-selling-oil-assets/

3 Likes

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by FreeStuffsNG: 2:25am On Dec 01, 2023
He said, “I understand that some of them (IOCs) are beginning to divest very quickly, we will also make sure that we stop some of those divestments so that the people can benefit.

It seems that there is something in that PIA, 2021, as passed by the National Assembly, that the IOCs are running away from apart from the long years of sabotage of their pipelines and other assets by their host communities. Equinor just announced its own divestment this week and assets bought by indigenous oil company.

Incidentally, the new Nigerian buyers don't bother as much as the IOCs. There was a time one of the assets AITEO acquired from shell around Nembe was vandalised, the Nigerians left the crude oil continue to flood for weeks until they piled pressure on them to fix it albeit reluctantly.

We need a mix of both IOCs and indigenous players particularly because the IOCs bring in fresh capital. There should be more engagement with them. I learnt Shell is demanding guarantee that some clauses in the PIA and local content act must be waved for it before it can bring in capital to develop a major field.

I think the President should look at the law again and engage them further then consult the National Assembly for possible amendments.

The way things are going, if not addressed, the oil producing communities complaining of not receiving enough may not have anything to receive anymore.

The House of Reps member just admitted that there are issues with the PIA, you guys should fix it for national interest sake nah.

Which clauses in both PIA and Local Content Act do the IOCs see as disincentive? Please share if you know. Thank you.
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Jestin: 5:39am On Dec 01, 2023
Instead of Asari Dokubo to speak up about the development of Niger Delta, he is busy looking for position in Abuja

7 Likes

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by BluntCrazeMan: 5:41am On Dec 01, 2023
Hmmm.
Ok naa
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Kingpele(m): 5:42am On Dec 01, 2023
The PIA is not working ... some of the clauses are not investor friendly....the solution is to amend the clauses that are too harsh on foreign investors ..we need foreign exchange...rather the NDDC should be unbundled, too many corruption in that board ...and questions should be asked ,how state governments in the oil producing state is using the extra money given to them as oil producing states...if the funds of NDDC and revenue of oil producing states are properly channelled to the needs of the people, the IOC will have no choice than to contribute their own qouta, to see that the plight of oil producing communities are be taken care of...the problem is our government..lack of true patriotism is killing every sector ...now a dollar is worth more than a thousand naira..

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by mytime24(f): 5:48am On Dec 01, 2023
Go and clean up Ur mess 😠
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Whalis: 5:53am On Dec 01, 2023
The bad
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by SouthSouth1914: 6:03am On Dec 01, 2023
When you bring onboard a legal framework with no implementation whatsoever, what do you expect the IOC’s to do?

How long did it take for the National Assembly to pass the PIB? Nigeria is a wake up call to other African nations like Kenya, South Africa, Rwanda etc. Nigeria as a nation has failed!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Inosky(m): 6:05am On Dec 01, 2023
Noises everywhere, at the end they will bribe them and the host community continue to wallow in p0verty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by ecolime(m): 6:11am On Dec 01, 2023
No divestment yet oo. Pity our people biko

And if you must sell off your Assets for business optimization, pay your workers good severance packages.

Don't forcefully transfer them from Chevron, SPDC, TEPNG etc. to Ekenedilichukwu & Sons oil Limited or Adegbola Gas Ltd.

Let this be optional.

That is the cry of everyone

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by free2ryhme: 6:14am On Dec 01, 2023
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Ekpeitut: 6:15am On Dec 01, 2023

If after 67 years of oil discovery in Nigeria law-makers are making these statements about oil communities benefitting from the proceeds of oil and gas, Nigerians ought to realise that we have the worst, self-centered, fantastically corrupt and the lowest I.Q bearing leaders heading the affairs of our country.

There should be outrage and public anger by the masses. Do we even understand what 67 years of oil exploration mean??

The United Arab Emirates where you have Dubai had their oil discovery 2 years after Nigeria did and we all know how glorious Dubai is today, while Nigerians still lack the minimum and most basic of life's necessities.

The fricking same oil money they have, we have!

What did our leaders do with all the taxes, sales and royalties since oil discovery and exploration began in Nigeria!!!

These are the questions we should be asking not this APC, PDP, Yoruba, Igbo ish they keep pushing at us to distract us from the ugly truth.

3 Likes

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Karlifate: 6:27am On Dec 01, 2023
Jestin:
Instead of Asari Dokubo to speak up about the development of Niger Delta, he is busy looking for position in Abuja

What do you expect from a typical Nigerian

Even you will do what favors you, before you remember Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by money121(m): 7:13am On Dec 01, 2023
Ok
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Zeebuy: 7:22am On Dec 01, 2023
My uncle has an oil servicing firm and I used to follow him to the creeks while they do oil spill cleanup.

Things I saw there, I weep for the Niger Delta.
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by COMPAQ(m): 7:26am On Dec 01, 2023
It's the responsibility of the government to improve the lives of the people, not oil companies. The government should stop passing its responsibility.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Chetas81(m): 7:45am On Dec 01, 2023
POOR OPEC COUNTRY, NIGERIA IS THE POOREST AMONG THE OPEC COUNTRY
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by bigdammyj: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2023
Noted.
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by rhames(m): 9:40am On Dec 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

It seems that there is something in that PIA, 2021, as passed by the National Assembly, that the IOCs are running away from apart from the long years of sabotage of their pipelines and other assets by their host communities. Equinor just announced its own divestment this week and assets bought by indigenous oil company.

Incidentally, the new Nigerian buyers don't bother as much as the IOCs. There was a time one of the assets AITEO acquired from shell around Nembe was vandalised, the Nigerians left the crude oil continue to flood for weeks until they piled pressure on them to fix it albeit reluctantly.

We need a mix of both IOCs and indigenous players particularly because the IOCs bring in fresh capital. There should be more engagement with them. I learnt Shell is demanding guarantee that some clauses in the PIA and local content act must be waved for it before it can bring in capital to develop a major field.

I think the President should look at the law again and engage them further then consult the National Assembly for possible amendments.

The way things are going, if not addressed, the oil producing communities complaining of not receiving enough may not have anything to receive anymore.

The House of Reps member just admitted that there are issues with the PIA, you guys should fix it for national interest sake nah.

Which clauses in both PIA and Local Content Act do the IOCs see as disincentive? Please share if you know. Thank you.
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

They see any change as disincentive whether good or bad. The only problem they don't have is if they can have the crude for free.
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by rhames(m): 9:41am On Dec 01, 2023
Zeebuy:
My uncle has an oil servicing firm and I used to follow him to the creeks while they do oil spill cleanup.

Things I saw there, I weep for the Niger Delta.

They and their ogogoro drinking leaders are their own greatest problems.
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by rhames(m): 9:44am On Dec 01, 2023
Ekpeitut:

If after 67 years of oil discovery in Nigeria law-makers are making these statements about oil communities benefitting from the proceeds of oil and gas, Nigerians ought to realise that we have the worst, self-centered, fantastically corrupt and the lowest I.Q bearing leaders heading the affairs of our country.

There should be outrage and public anger by the masses. Do we even understand what 67 years of oil exploration mean??

The United Arab Emirates where you have Dubai had their oil discovery 2 years after Nigeria did and we all know how glorious Dubai is today, while Nigerians still lack the minimum and most basic of life's necessities.

The fricking same oil money they have, we have!

What did our leaders do with all the taxes, sales and royalties since oil discovery and exploration began in Nigeria!!!

These are the questions we should be asking not this APC, PDP, Yoruba, Igbo ish they keep pushing at us to distract us from the ugly truth.

Also remember that the Nigerian constitution did not provide for savings of proceeds from all revenue sources. Hence the borrowing spree by all governments.
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Coldie(m): 10:14am On Dec 01, 2023
Chetas81:
POOR OPEC COUNTRY, NIGERIA IS THE POOREST AMONG THE OPEC COUNTRY
I keep saying this to people who keep talking about our population, if majority of ur population is poor and poverty stricken it’s useless calling it a market
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by Chetas81(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2023
Coldie:

I keep saying this to people who keep talking about our population, if majority of ur population is poor and poverty stricken it’s useless calling it a market
WHEN MAN POORLY REASON, THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING GENUINE
Re: House Of Reps To Halt IOCs From Selling Oil Assets by FreeStuffsNG: 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
Coldie:

Smh. If only you're humble and teachable, you will not make this ignorant remark.
Most of you don't even know jack about your own immediate locality, LGA, state let alone the whole of Nigeria. I am sure if I mention Jigawa now, you will immediately think of Aboki or Fulani but if I ask you to mention two high value strong forex earner that state dominate, you will not know. You probably think that because you are surrounded by equally negative mind like you then everyone in Jigawa is poor and hungry.

Read to improve your understanding. All these nonsense assumptions you all make online are bunkum. If you are poor today, it's not Nigeria that made you poor. You're poor because all you see around you is lack and poverty.

Ordinary folks with little or no education and no time to idle away on social media are bringing in billions into Nigeria in same Jigawa and most of the places you ignorantly associate with poverty.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bdcs Are In Trouble / Nigerians: Very Stupid People! / Would The South Be Peaceful If Jonathan Was Rigged Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.