Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

What Church Should I Go To? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Church Should I Go To? (1198 Views)

Why You Should Be Very Careful What Church You Attend - A MUST READ! / If Korede Cant Sing Godwin In Church, Should He Pay Tithe From Godwin To Church? / Nairalanders What Church Do You Attend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2011
It goes without saying that every believer should have a church home where he or she attends regularly. If you are not a part of such a fellowship, the following advice will be invaluable to your search.

1) Look for a church prayerfully. As is the case with all other aspects of a Christian's decisions, you should begin your search for a church by seeking the Lord's direction. The Bible promises, "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths" (Prov. 3:6).

(2) Look for good prospects. You might search for listings in the newspaper or in the yellow pages. Always seek the congregation which is evangelical and Bible-based. A referral from a trusted Christian friend is the most frequent way people are introduced to a church. A visit or two is helpful, but there is no way to really evaluate a church without attending most services for a month or so.

(3) Look for a fellowship of believers. A church is not a building, nor is it merely a ministry, it is the body of Christ. So seek people who love the Lord and who love each other — people that will love you and people to whom you can give your love.

(4) Look for the church that preaches the Bible. Seek the fellowship that has sound doctrine, proclaims the whole counsel of God's Word, and sincerely lifts up the Lord Jesus Christ in worship and in all they do. Much of this can be discovered by observation, but most fellowships have a printed statement of their doctrines they will provide to you upon request. For clarity, you can speak with the pastor or leadership about their beliefs or practices when you're trying to find a church.

(5) Look for a church that has good character. Seek a loving, peaceful, stable church which has a pastor devoted to godliness, prayer and the word, which are more important than his eloquence, education or charisma. This is how to find a church.

(6) Look for a church that will help draw you closer to Christ. It might be nice to find a church where the music is flawless, where the seats are padded and the minister dismisses promptly at noon. But more importantly, you need a church that cares about you and will help meet your spiritual needs — that will inspire you to grow, and will motivate you toward the aspirations of God. You need a church whose preaching and teaching will not merely appease or entertain you, but will boldly challenge you to advance beyond your comfort zones to live toward God's high ideals.

(7) Look for a church where you can become committed. In many ways, your relationship with the church is similar to a marriage — what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. The only church in which you will ever grow and mature spiritually is the fellowship where you will commit yourself and get involved — where you will care about more than your own self-centered needs and reach out to minister to the needs of others — where the people submit themselves to God and to each other, and where they will both encourage you and hold you accountable.

(8 ) Seek that fellowship that is attempting to reach lost souls. Find a church that is seeking to bring lives to Christ, both in their community and on foreign mission fields. Such a church understands its purpose on the earth and will provide a healthy environment in which to grow.

(9) Find  a church where you can contribute. I've often heard the comparison made between a church and a restaurant — a place where you get served a meal. But actually, the church is more like a pot luck dinner. What you bring with you to church is added to the content of the meal. Your contribution to the gathering helps to make it what it is. Therefore, seek the church where you can roll up your sleeves and help them to minister to others. Don't look for a church that will only "serve you," but look for a church in which you can "serve." Always remember, a church is the combination of what its people are. So if you want your church to be the best it can be, you must be the best you can be. A church can never rise above what its individual members are.

(10) Be ready to accept the individuality of a church. Frequently people look for a church like the one in which they got saved, or like one they see on TV. But this is futile, because even though a church might have the same beliefs or similarities as another, every church is distinct and different in its personality, just like people are. Always use the Bible as the standard to measure a church — not other churches.
This is how to find a church.

(11) Look for a church with reasonable expectations. Don't bother looking for a perfect church, because there aren't any. In every church you will find people who are wonderful and some who aren't. Jesus taught that it was common for weeds to be found growing together with the crops (Matt. 13:24-30). Also, in every church, you'll find some things done well, and others that are not. Don't worry about finding a perfect pastor, either. Trust me, they're all human and will make mistakes. But look for a pastor who is sincere, who is trying his best to live a godly moral life, and who is proclaiming the uncompromised Word of God. In short, be content with the church that is doing the best they can. That's how to select a church that's going to met your spiritual needs,

There are probably many good churches in your community. Trust the Lord to guide you to the fellowship where he wants you, and become faithful there. Don't be a church hopper — bouncing around to one church after another each week. God wants you to be submitted to the accountability of spiritual leaders who will help you and even correct you when necessary (Heb. 13:17), and this isn't possible unless you are rooted somewhere. Don't have a neglectful attitude, going to church only when you feel like it. Attend faithfully and show up on time. Serve your church at least as diligently as you would your employer. Remember, the Lord views your attitude toward His church as your attitude toward Him (Matt. 25:40), so serve the Lord in a way that if He were your employer, you wouldn't get fired. I hope you now know how to find a church.

Original Article
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Enigma(m): 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2011
One cardinal rule:

It is safest to avoid ANY church where their focus is (or even where they teach) the prosperity "gospel"!

The prosperity "gospel", which is no gospel is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ as well as of the apostles.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 30, 2011
Enigma:

One cardinal rule:

It is safest to avoid ANY church where their focus is (or even where they teach) the prosperity "gospel"!

The prosperity "gospel", which is no gospel is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ as well as of the apostles.

1 trillion percent correct .

I was thinking about posting what churches also to avoid, which I will add in due course to this same article.

Feel free to add any other that comes to mind.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Enigma(m): 9:33pm On Oct 30, 2011
How does one know that a "church" or even oneself is focused on the prosperity "gospel" which is no gospel?

Ask yourself the following and try to answer as honestly as possible?

Why do I want to go to church?

If one is going to church because one believes doing so and also performing some rituals (like paying "tithes"wink it will lead to some material gain like money, jobs, wife, husband, university admission, good health and so on ----- then the likelihood is that one's heart is set for the prosperity "gospel" false message. There is a need to BEWARE!

If a church promises these things money, jobs husband/wife, admissions etc, as long as you perform rituals like "tithes" and "offer 7", it is almost certainly a prosperity "gospel" "church" preaching a false message contrary to the message of Christ. I would say FLEE!

Caution: it is not wrong for one to pray, as well as work, for money, jobs, husband/wife, admission etc; it is not even wrong for a church to pray for these things. However, they are not the focus of Christianity. When they are made the focus and purpose, then something is seriously wrong and alarm bells should start ringing.

Unfortunately, I must admit that this is a hard message. But then bear in mind "wide is the way . . . . but narrow is the way . . . . ."
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by justhappy: 9:36pm On Oct 30, 2011
@frosbel this is a very timely post. many people have become confused about church because some have been stating that the church age is over and that the church is under God's judgment so they should not attend. There are many churches that are doing wonderful things in this world, for their congregations, and communities as Jesus commanded. Should one assume from your posts that you believe that churches are still good and that they as long as it is a pure church not based on false teachings, one should still attend?
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 30, 2011
^^

The church age is in reference to the bride of Christ, the spiritual church.

We need to fellowship with brethren, hence the need to attend a physical  church , preferably not a mega church , to meet up with people of like minds, pray , share testimonies and preach the word of God.

However we must remember one thing, the focus is on JESUS Christ. Too many MOG have taken the focus away from God and they are almost like Popes in their churches.

Jesus is the head of the church and yet too many Christians today consider the Pastor as their spiritual covering, your spiritual covering is not a MAN but God himself.

Please READ your BIBLE otherwise you will be deceived.

If anyone comes up with a doctrine, ask him or her to confirm that doctrine with the bible and nothing less than 3 quotes from bible.

Fellowship is important, pray about it , God will lead you to a good church.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by justhappy: 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2011
@frosbel Thank you, I receive that and will pray about it.

I am curious, since you said the scale used for judgment should be three scriptures to back something up. There is a thread on here that I was looking forward to seeing the actual Christian responses on. Within this post, there are three scriptures used to back up an assertion. Does this make the assertion true?

This is the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-792609.0.html
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 30, 2011
^^

grin grin grin

Nope, it does not have to be 3, use that figure as an Allegory to always properly validate doctrine in the right perspective. For example if a teacher quotes only one verse of scripture to back up his gospel, ask him for more verses , go to your bible and do some search and research and prayerfully ask God for insight, I tell you, God will be proud of you for using his word as your final authority and he will bless you with wisdom, grace and most importantly spiritual discernment.

In this day and age and with so many bible tools all over the Internet , you can simply insert the verse or verses and search on a bible site.

You will find these ones of good value .

Bible Browser

Blue Letter Bible

Just1Word

These sites have all the bible versions, search engines, strongs, dictionary, devotions, commentaries and a lot more.

God Bless.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by justhappy: 10:11pm On Oct 30, 2011
Thanks so much!
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 30, 2011
while this is a commendable thread, i have to say that the MAJOR problem with finding a church with regard to many christians really is very simple - 2 Tim 4:3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

How many times have you heard the phrase "that pastor was so boring"? How many big churches do you find where they dont have state of the art music systems, video projectors, a first class worship group and the latest mikes? you can preach the undiluted word of God all you want but if you are not exhibiting miracles, if you are not inviting foreign ministers to your church, if you are not showing God's "blessings" in terms of your brand of cars, nice houses e.t.c . . . no one shows up at your church. Everyone is too busy looking for the happening church . . . which has now become a status symbol or social label by which your status in society is measured.

Even here in the US, emphasis is now on mundane things like child care facilities when families consider which churches to attend. No longer is it about the REAL WORD of God.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by joyuchesun: 12:50am On Oct 31, 2011
@davidylan Times have changed. It is not bad to have child care in church, it makes sense because small children can be quite disruptive in the service. Having state of the art technology is also not bad. These things in and of themselves are fine, and if it gets people in the door that is even better. What matters is what happens once they are in the door. This is where pastors need to be held accountable. The word of God can reach different people in different ways, and as time goes on churches must adjust to the times and the wishes of the people. Once they are in the doors, that is what is important.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:31am On Oct 31, 2011
Davidylan, it is a phenomenon called, "RELIGIOTAINMENT". And the word has been coined by me. Remember it, RELIGIOTAINMENT. If you want to pull the new gen worshiping crowd into your church, you gotta provide them with state of the art religiotainment with special effects(miracles) to boot to keep them interested. That is what it's all about these days. No more dozing congregation during services. No No! Can't have that. wink
BTW, and seriously, have they started using laser shows in services now? That would be the ISH. A real crowd puller. grin
davidylan:

while this is a commendable thread, i have to say that the MAJOR problem with finding a church with regard to many christians really is very simple - [color=#990000]

How many times have you heard the phrase "that pastor was so boring"? How many big churches do you find where they dont have state of the art music systems, video projectors, a first class worship group and the latest mikes? you can preach the undiluted word of God all you want but if you are not exhibiting miracles, if you are not inviting foreign ministers to your church, if you are not showing God's "blessings" in terms of your brand of cars, nice houses e.t.c . . . no one shows up at your church. Everyone is too busy looking for the happening church . . . which has now become a status symbol or social label by which your status in society is measured.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 31, 2011
davidylan:

while this is a commendable thread, i have to say that the MAJOR problem with finding a church with regard to many christians really is very simple - 2 Tim 4:3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Even here in the US, emphasis is now on mundane things like child care facilities when families consider which churches to attend. No longer is it about the REAL WORD of God.

Indeed !
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by jayriginal: 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
Jenwitemi:

Davidylan, it is a phenomenon called, "RELIGIOTAINMENT". And the word has been coined by me. Remember it, RELIGIOTAINMENT.grin
I wont forget it. RELIGIOTAINMENT  grin
For others, take note. As Jenwitemi has acknowledged, it was coined by me grin grin
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by plappville(f): 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
This topic hits the dread i had last night waoo, i was in a dream, i saw different churches, but was searching for a divine one to enter. Then i went to a pastor, infact when i asked him about what they believe and preach, he told me he preach the God of the blacks. I asked wht do u mean,? He said i shld come and discover it in hos church, i told him sorry i want a chruch where they preach Jesus, he was trying to discribe the way to his church i left him and found another which was really preaching Jesus to my hearing, he was anointed and my spirit pushed me into the church immediately i wake up.
I dont know if God was revealing something about my church. I prayed thank him.

However we must remember one thing, the focus is on JESUS Christ. Too many MOG have taken the focus away from God and they are almost like Popes in their churches.My brother u re right, one need to be always prepare and look unto Jesus, he is the way to heaven

Jesus is the head of the church and yet too many Christians today consider the Pastor as their spiritual covering, your spiritual covering is not a MAN but God himself. a christian that hardly prays, they depend on the pastors prayer only.
Some ve picture of their pastor as telephone screen server shocked i cant understand wht this means.
Christians should wake up and read the bible none stop. This is our food.
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by ogwumgbe: 5:21am On Nov 01, 2011
Exposing false teachings 1 (Galatians 5; 19 -21)
Is there any thing like once saved always saved? Is there anything like being guaranteed a place in heaven once you accept Christ without doing what is necessary to be in heaven? The only place we can get right answers to these questions is in the Bible. These are recent teachings going on among many preachers today. They give their congregation false hope of being in Heaven with Christ once they confess Christ as Lord irrespective of how they live their lives here. They claim that Christ is their righteousness, therefore there effort is irrelevant.
Let’s see what the Bible has to say concerning this kind of belief. In the book of Galatians 5; 19- 21, the Bible outlines the characters that will definitely deprive people the Kingdom of God. These attitudes are; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envying, murders, drunkenness, revellings. The Bible clearly says that those that have even one of these in their character traits will never inherit the Kingdom of God.
People spreading these false teachings claimed to have derived those teachings from St Paul’s teachings in Romans precisely. It is interesting to note that the same St Paul wrote this letter to the Galatians. The question we need to ask ourselves is this; to which people did St Paul write this letter to, to believers in Christ or none believers; to people that Believe and confessed Christ as their Lord and savior or to pagans? The answer is that the letter was written to believers in Galatia, or simply born again Christians living in Galatia.
Then, if there were anything like once saved, always saved; if mere believing in Christ gives one a place in Heaven, why would St Paul write to warn believers in Galatia on the consequence of all these character traits. The Bible warns in 2 Timothy 4; 1 that in the latter times, which is now, that many will depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and the doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron. Interestingly, this warning also came from St Paul.
It is not surprising that this false teachings is spreading everywhere among Christians since Bible predicts that it will surely happen. However, if you want to spend eternity with Christ, do not believe these false teachings because it is outright demonic. It is not from the Holy Spirit at all, rather, it is from devil. This teaching is deception of the highest order, and it is aimed at destroying the elect. The Bible warns us in Mathew 24; 24, about false Christs and false prophets that shall show great signs and wonders; in so much that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Therefore in order not to be trapped in this evil net, you need to go back to the sound teaching of the Bible. John 8; 32 says that you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. Also in Philippians 2; 12, we are instructed to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.
In conclusion, there’s nothing like once saved, always saved. Galatians 5; 19-21 Indicates that such teaching is faulty. Christianity is a race and you must run the race accordingly to qualify. In addition, Jesus Christ is a way to God, and you must walk in that way to get to God. Your righteousness counts my brothers. Do not be deceived by this false teaching. If you have been deceived into living in sin as a result of this teaching, better repent. If not, you will never be raptured but will face the great tribulation. There are sheep and goats. There are many passages of the scripture that prove this teaching wrong. However, I am taking them step by step. This is just the part 1, other parts will follow soon. Stay tuned, and remain blessed in the Lord.
From Criserv Kenneth Nwolisa ; www.lifegoalministriesinternational.com

1 Like

Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2011
[size=13pt]Matthew 7:6
Do not give that which is holy to the dogs, or put your jewels before pigs, for fear that they will be crushed under foot by the pigs whose attack will then be made against you.

We must follow this advice Jesus gave us in any church we go to, because if you give your time, money and the things that are precious to these pastors, they will come back and attack you. Almost all the pastors are wolves in sheep's clothing. Those who have ears let them hear.[/size]
Re: What Church Should I Go To? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 02, 2011
YOU are part of THE CHURCH.
If you're asking about what congregation to go to, check many. Where your spirit feels most at home, stay there for a bit.

Don't get pressured into "taking up an office" until you have spent enough time in that congregation to determine that this is where you'd like to base your self as that locks you down and makes it harder to excuse yourself from the congregation when you start realizing thing you don't want to be a part of.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Still Listen To Secular Music? / Top 10 Horrifying Moments In The Bible. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.