Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

The Cruelty Of Most School Owners - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Cruelty Of Most School Owners (23514 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Google Classroom Training For Teachers, School Owners And Parents / This Is For School Owners - Why Your School Needs A School Health Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Nwanna2588: 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2023
ComeToJesus:
Those subjects you teach, there's a middle east country i know, you get paid 45k/hour(naira equivalent) and you take 1.5 hours once a week in private tutorials(home service)

Think outside the box. Naija is the hell you read about.

As if it is easy to travel out.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by jaxxy(m): 1:27pm On Dec 06, 2023
Sole proprietorship business are usually terrible and unprofessional. Most times these types of businesses are run like an animal farm.

2 Likes

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Nwanna2588: 1:27pm On Dec 06, 2023
lynx200:

Forget the certificate, it's the experience that counts. When you can prove that you know what you're teaching and you market yourself properly, many parents will contact you.

As far as I am concerned, you are much better than a graduate who studied mathematics education since you've practicing for 6 years. Just believe in yourself.

Find a way to demonstrate yourself by teaching some students free for a month. If you prove yourself, their parents will pay you. Do you know how many people complain about how bad their children are in mathematics?

Leave this site and look for those complaints. Then find a way to contact them and offer your services. Forget the certificate. Prove you have the knowledge. It won't be easy, that I know. But it will be worth it on the long run.

So teaching is now for every Tom, Dick and Harry.

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by drololaaof: 1:28pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I am writing this article with great pain in my heart. The unethical and abusive culture of the management of the school where I teach is second to none.

After a successful interview and negotiation with verbal promises of benefits on the job, I started this teaching job at a school located at Makoko Area, Yaba in March, 2023 but since then, no benefit has come forth rather the school owner, Mr. ***** negotiate the payment for extra school lesson with parents and paid me a meagre #5000/month.

This is a school where class teachers are not allowed to communicate with parents because of the school owners' dubious nature.

Sometimes in August, I approached the school to complain about the unfavourable work environment, and workload because I was teaching Mathematics and Further Mathematics for seniors, IGCSE Mathematics for seniors and Geography for seniors too but a meeting was scheduled immediately and I was harassed by the school owner who said it openly that "If dem born anybody well, make dem complain" and the school principal even issued a death threat to me saying that "He can slaughter anyone who wants to destroy his works" the anyone referring to me.

The paltry sum of #7,000 was later added to my salary. This is the same school where I spend an average of #1,200 on tfare daily and the school owner was aware of this from the beginning.

Need I say that he pays salary to any staff he likes at any time in the next month. He looks for every little mistake to deduct from the salary and the height of it is that today is the 5th of December, this man paid my colleagues for November, yesterday evening but left me out. I went to the principal's office to find out why this happened and the next thing the director and the principal did was to start investigating the exact colleague who told me about the November payment. Sometimes, it's as bad as trekking all the way from Mushin to Makoko area, Yaba in the morning and after work.

The Director has sacked more than 15 teachers in the past 2 years for no reason at all, even more than 20 teaching and non-teaching staff members had left the job due to his manipulative, greedy and harassing attitude.

I have a full report, ready to be submitted to all relevant authorities concerning the maltreatment of labour going on here.

Please advice me on what to do and kindly help me to get this to every concerned authorities.
The greatest and worst exploiters are the proprietors ,they collect fees and pay peanuts to their workers.
The problem of the private school teachers is lack of association and neglect by government as supervisory agent .

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Adebayofficial(m): 1:32pm On Dec 06, 2023
The matter took another turn today and the school owner called me to his office, with his wife and the school principal in attendance. He continued with his harassing words and said that I was not allowed to justify myself. At the end of the day, he said that today was the last day I would be working with him and that I would get my pay after several illegal deductions of his had been made. He was expecting me to beg but I didn't. The school principal pleaded with me to apologize to him but he insisted that I should wait at the reception because he felt like walking me out in an embarrassing way in front of the pupils. After several hours, the principal came back and told me that he wouldn't want to stop working with me and that the students like me, so the school owner has changed his mind provided that everything he says is the final. I just went to him to thank him, not because I'm guilty but because I've seen that he's not ready to change.

I have a history with the school and I've paid my dues. You will all understand what I'm talking about in my next post.

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Adebayofficial(m): 1:36pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nwanna2588:

So teaching is now for every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Believe me, if I tell you that the school had interviewed many graduates of mathematics, engineering and other mathematics-related courses but they could not deliver.
Anyway, I'm not supposed to go into defence mode but I believe that your sarcasm demands a response.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by sureway1(m): 1:39pm On Dec 06, 2023
I am a music teacher, all you need to do is to work on yourself use social media to showcase your skills, target those Japa families.. set up your room for online teaching... run ads once in a while to gain new followers, unfriend those that may not understand what you are doing to have space for new followers that matters..... their are so many resourceful video you can use online check YouTube.... if you don't know how you can check my Facebook page to see how I am doing it... page name *sure way music hub* my personal account: *sure way*.. get PayPal account just incase, you can also use your normal account just find your way round it....if you are really good with the maths na you go dey dodge work....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Adebayofficial(m): 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2023
Bsmartt:
I am very sorry to hear this at @OP. We have been discussing this issue for a while and the unfortunate part is that most of these school owners have bribed the regulators (Ministry of Education and other agencies).
I am waiting for someone to tell me that a particular private school other than the ones in Lekki its environs (3M per term school fee) remitted staff statutory deductions (Pension, PAYE, NHF, HMO, etc.) in the last 12 months.
Funnily, they know how to pray and glorify the Lord in their various religion affiliations.
Like the popular 'Portable' quote, 'Person wey go help you no go stress you'.
It is high time that the Government intervened in the evaluation of the compliance level of these 'evil' proprietors/proprietress to the law of the land.
But are they going to enforce it?

The school is located along Danny Estate, Makoko Area and the owner/Director is a Jehovah Witness. I find it difficult to believe that a Jehovah Witness could actually be so manipulative, harassing and greedy in nature.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by nairalee(m): 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:
The matter took another turn today and the school owner called me to his office, with his wife and the school principal in attendance. He continued with his harassing words and said that I was not allowed to justify myself. At the end of the day, he said that today was the last day I would be working with him and that I would get my pay after several illegal deductions of his had been made. He was expecting me to beg but I didn't. The school principal pleaded with me to apologize to him but he insisted that I should wait at the reception because he felt like walking me out in an embarrassing way in front of the pupils. After several hours, the principal came back and told me that he wouldn't want to stop working with me and that the students like me, so the school owner has changed his mind provided that everything he says is the final. I just went to him to thank him, not because I'm guilty but because I've seen that he's not ready to change.

I have a history with the school and I've paid my dues. You will all understand what I'm talking about in my next post.

Shebi u said u are a maths teacher. Lemme give u one probability

Bro from now that I'm typing this to you if u start applying for other schools massively. I assure u if u apply for let's say 100 schools, you'll get positive feedbacks from at least 70. Out of that 70 you'll scale through the recruitment process of at least 20. Out of that 20 I bet you that you'll get more than 7 better offers from the one you're currently working.

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by sureway1(m): 1:51pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:

I really do not understand your post, but if you say you have a history with the school, you can continue... make the school your marketplace and consider my post up there.... they will respect you last last when they see the kids you are rolling with online, they will never want to let you go...... cos you will become a source of publicity to them..

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by lynx200(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:

That's your answer. It's up to you. You can remain there and remain miserable or strike out on your own and live the life you want. More success to you.

2 Likes

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Adebayofficial(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2023
Rubyjade:
You are a coward for not mentioning the nameof the school.
The school is located at Danny Estate, Makoko Area, Yaba. You can do your investigation.

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Adebayofficial(m): 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2023
sureway1:

I really do not understand your post, but if you say you have a history with the school, you can continue... make the school your marketplace and consider my post up there.... they will respect you last last when they see the kids you are rolling with online, they will never want to let you go...... cos you will become a source of publicity to them..
History meaning that I've paid my dues in less than a year working there.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Johnboom: 1:57pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:

If you are really good you won't be in this mess. I am a scientist and I teach maths too in private school but not like you cos I used my brain. Don't tied yourself in a particular school. Do part _time and charge per month. With that , you can be teaching in 3 schools. You only teach maximum of 3 days past week and average of 3 hours. But I said if you are good cos I have not seen a good maths teacher that will be rubbish by school owner. Anyway may be is the spirit of great Ife that is in me, no school owner can try that with me if you know your worth.

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by phorget(m): 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2023
If you are good at those subjects you mentioned then I would advise you start a private/home lessons.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Princeofthenige(m): 2:04pm On Dec 06, 2023
Your story is complete. Conclusively, you didn't mention your total take home, and what you agreed from the begging. Above all, with all what you explain, I find it difficult to see the reason why you are still working in that place. You need to move on. Including all the teachers.thanks
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by ComeToJesus: 2:07pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nwanna2588:

As if it is easy to travel out.

If you think it's difficult, it will always be difficult.
"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he"

3 Likes

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by sureway1(m): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:

History meaning that I've paid my dues in less than a year working there.

if you do not have anything at hand, do not resign! get a good camera/phone with good camera quality.. cover yourself teaching pick a topic let say quadratic equation. teach the step by step method of solving the problems from simple task to difficult task.. a video that student can follow and learn with create a YouTube channel(you can put your videos there for sell). post your videos on Facebook, your friends on Facebook may not click like/share but some will, you will start gaining ground...... I am doing same thing and there's no month Japa people don't call me.......so just like you, I teach in a private school, it is not easy, I understand all you are saying..... I work in a big school, but I get more than three times my salary.....all you need is that phone in your hand.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by lomprico(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I am writing this article with great pain in my heart. The unethical and abusive culture of the management of the school where I teach is second to none.

After a successful interview and negotiation with verbal promises of benefits on the job, I started this teaching job at a school located at Makoko Area, Yaba in March, 2023 but since then, no benefit has come forth rather the school owner, Mr. ***** negotiate the payment for extra school lesson with parents and paid me a meagre #5000/month.

This is a school where class teachers are not allowed to communicate with parents because of the school owners' dubious nature.

Sometimes in August, I approached the school to complain about the unfavourable work environment, and workload because I was teaching Mathematics and Further Mathematics for seniors, IGCSE Mathematics for seniors and Geography for seniors too but a meeting was scheduled immediately and I was harassed by the school owner who said it openly that "If dem born anybody well, make dem complain" and the school principal even issued a death threat to me saying that "He can slaughter anyone who wants to destroy his works" the anyone referring to me.

The paltry sum of #7,000 was later added to my salary. This is the same school where I spend an average of #1,200 on tfare daily and the school owner was aware of this from the beginning.

Need I say that he pays salary to any staff he likes at any time in the next month. He looks for every little mistake to deduct from the salary and the height of it is that today is the 5th of December, this man paid my colleagues for November, yesterday evening but left me out. I went to the principal's office to find out why this happened and the next thing the director and the principal did was to start investigating the exact colleague who told me about the November payment. Sometimes, it's as bad as trekking all the way from Mushin to Makoko area, Yaba in the morning and after work.

The Director has sacked more than 15 teachers in the past 2 years for no reason at all, even more than 20 teaching and non-teaching staff members had left the job due to his manipulative, greedy and harassing attitude.

I have a full report, ready to be submitted to all relevant authorities concerning the maltreatment of labour going on here.

Please advice me on what to do and kindly help me to get this to every concerned authorities.

Resign and move on! Reporting him won't make any difference, he will bribe his way out of it. We live in a rotten country.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Nwanna2588: 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2023
ComeToJesus:

If you think it's difficult, it will always be difficult.
"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he"

The biblical quote you presented appears incongruent with the ongoing discourse, deviating from the central theme. Consequently, I find myself disinclined to partake in a protracted debate, given that your predisposition seems inclined towards digression rather than a focused discussion on the matter at hand. Henceforth, I kindly suggest ceasing further elaboration on this matter, as it does not align with the primary subject. My time, regrettably, is not at leisure for an extended exchange in such a manner.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by ComeToJesus: 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nwanna2588:

The biblical quote you presented appears incongruent with the ongoing discourse, deviating from the central theme. Consequently, I find myself disinclined to partake in a protracted debate, given that your predisposition seems inclined towards digression rather than a focused discussion on the matter at hand. Henceforth, I kindly suggest ceasing further elaboration on this matter, as it does not align with the primary subject. My time, regrettably, is not at leisure for an extended exchange in such a manner.

All this big grammar on top wetin. You said it's hard for you to migrate. Na you still come dey cry again..
See me o🤷

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by GUNITGuy: 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2023
Start private coaching ...Charge 10 to 30k per child depending on the Subjects and Class 3times per week
Put your posters everywhere ....
Target just 10studenta in a month ....
Forget private school ...
You are only anwerable to their parents

2 Likes

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by HellVictorinho6(m): 5:05pm On Dec 06, 2023
Honestly

spits

1 Like

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by soccerlite: 5:18pm On Dec 06, 2023
naturefellow:
he is self-aware enough to make a post about his ordeal with his abusive employer. He is not hypnotised. Y'all should learn to be constructive.

Think before you speak. Be as smart as your phone!

As far as you are smart, obrigado
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by Ddigit: 5:38pm On Dec 06, 2023
Almost 95% of Private school owners who are chriestians are either deacons or pastors in their churches, and are very religious but they treat their staff like slave.... More reasons I hate religious people and I can count how many times I stepped my foot in a church this year....,

I still wonder if there is God, or karma based on this fellows inhumanity to their fellow human being.

Their so called NAPPS union is like an occult group where they gather to discuss how to cut corners, manipulate things, make some unbearable laws/rules on how to cheat their teachers and maximize profit for themselves..,

It's very unfortunate that they seem to be the highest employer of labour due to the economic situation of the country, and our government and policy makers are not doing anything to safeguard private school teachers who find themselves under these people as slave and at their mercy.

No job security, no benefits and entitlement, the salary is nothing to write about, yet it's been cut at any slightest mistake.

I heard of a school in Kabusa, Abuja that does not pay December salary in every December, but rather pay it by January 27th, and pay that of January by February 14th, just to ensure that the teachers do not leave...... Just imagine!

2 Likes

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by VULCAN(m): 8:55pm On Dec 06, 2023
Pls define what you mean when you call him a hotcake?

Did anybody tell you there is a scarcity of maths teachers in Lagos?

Or did he mention that he got First Class in Maths and Physics?

I'm just wondering why you called him a hotcake?

AntiTerrorist:
Don't mind those who asked you to reveal the name of the school. This is not the right time to do so.

You are an hot cake but it's unfortunate you have not fully realize your worth.

My advice: endure till the end of the session and find a better school.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by MuslimIgbo: 9:07pm On Dec 06, 2023
nedekid:

It is not always advisable to leave without notice or leave with obvious grievance. What if tomorrow, for what ever reason, he needs references, or his past place of work needs verification?
Dey play
Reference kọ, rufai ni
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by VULCAN(m): 9:15pm On Dec 06, 2023
He think say he wise.

So very detailed in every other respect but crickets about his salary.

Lolz

bigpicture001:
in all he never said his wage..not even once
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by 7upnigeria: 9:20pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adebayofficial:
Fellow Nairalanders,

You take hot subjects like maths and further maths and you're sitting down in one school that doesnt value you. There are schools that will pay you better and even offer accommodation. Wake up, dont wait until you join the list of those sacked by your school management.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by nedekid: 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2023
MuslimIgbo:

Dey play
Reference kọ, rufai ni
OP, take this guy's advice.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by esthel(f): 10:40pm On Dec 06, 2023
You live in Mushin, is it not better to go and hustle in Ladipo so you can make more money.
Re: The Cruelty Of Most School Owners by SlavaUkraini: 1:17am On Dec 07, 2023
As soon as you collect your next salary,

Fire your boss

It is better to be doing something else than been treated like a slave...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of World Miss University Nigeria / Ambrose Alli University Law Graduate Dies In Accident 4 Days After Signing Out / Joshua A. Erubami, DELSU Best Graduating Student Gets Automatic Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.