Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria (530 Views)

Hausa Tribe Is Not A Religion: A Clarification. By Abubakar Sadiq Malumfashi . / Who Are These Unknown Gunmen In Southern Nigeria, A Blessing In Disguise? / Afenifere: Withdrawal Of Foodstuffs From South By North, A Blessing In Disguise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 10:10pm On Dec 05, 2023
shortgun:

Okay, what is/are the names of the "higher beings" that created the universe?
How can you tell of their existence?
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

There is something called in Igbo Language as 'Amama amasi amasi' meaning that there are some things beyond human knowledge.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by Nonexisting1: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2023
Religion is a curse to Nigeria, I'll say it any day any time and Bishop Idahosa, Pastor Kumuiyi and their likes were the catalysts that put the final nail on the coffin. Pre 1990s long before we started hearing words like born again, deliverance, and crusades, we used to love and trust each in this country. Now, brothers suspect each other over nothing serious, neighbors don't share food anymore. I remember as a child how we used to eat in every compound we played in until our parents started telling us about food poisoning and we stopped. Apparently, a sick child had allegedly vomited frog at a crusade ground and the man of god said he was poisoned by their neighbor. After that, children in that area stopped playing together and that was how the idiot man of god took away our childhood. Before a Nigerian goes to hospital for sickness now, he first accuse his brother of poison and first consult his pastor. No one reasons with his brains now, all we talk about is religion. We now put religion first over common sense. I don't even want to talk about Islam and the problems it brought us because if I do, I will sleep here tonight.

Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by Nonexisting1: 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2023
shortgun:
Thank God for God, if not for prayers and intersessions it would have been worse than this.
[s]Again, morally upright people are shaped by religion, take religion away and everyone will become ruthless, wicked, unforgiving and merciless[/s].

There's a reason politicians court religious leaders....
That's a lie. Religion only masks your evils and help you hide them well. Today, I prefer to deal with nonreligious people than religious ones. When you see an evil nonreligious person, it's easy to identify him unlike when you see an evil religion person.

Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by Whalis: 10:25pm On Dec 05, 2023
GuyWise101:

My aim is for my people to open their eyes we have been lied for too long
If you pick Christians alone you are persecuting the church. The result is fairly not good. The Bible has the words of God. Although many prophets wrote different books in the course of history that they claimed they heard from God. At a time men like you and me sat and selected these books and put them together as Bible.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 10:30pm On Dec 05, 2023
Whalis:

If you pick Christians alone you are persecuting the church. The result is fairly not good. The Bible has the words of God. Although many prophets wrote different books in the course of history that they claimed they heard from God. At a time men like you and me sat and selected these books and put them together as Bible.

Why I am talking about Christianity is because that's where I was brought up, I don't know about Islam but I know that I will never believe in their Allah that suffers me to pray and slam my head on the floor five times in a day so that he will give me ajanah or whatever their so called heaven is....
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 10:32pm On Dec 05, 2023
Nonexisting1:
Religion is a curse to Nigeria, I'll say it any day any time and Bishop Idahosa, Pastor Kumuiyi and their likes were the catalysts that put the final nail on the coffin. Pre 1990s long before we started hearing words like born again, deliverance, and crusades, we used to love and trust each in this country. Now, brothers suspect each other over nothing serious, neighbors don't share food anymore. I remember as a child how we used to eat in every compound we played in until our parents started telling us about food poisoning and we stopped. Apparently, a sick child had allegedly vomited frog at a crusade ground and the man of god said he was poisoned by their neighbor. After that, children in that area stopped playing together and that was how the idiot man of god took away our childhood. Before a Nigerian goes to hospital for sickness now, he first accuse his brother of poison and first consult his pastor. No one reasons with his brains now, all we talk about is religion. We now put religion first over common sense. I don't even want to talk about Islam and the problems it brought us because if I do, I will sleep here tonight.

Bros you are now awake please also try to wake our brothers
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by shortgun(m): 10:35pm On Dec 05, 2023
GuyWise101:

There is something called in Igbo Language as 'Amama amasi amasi' meaning that there are some things beyond human knowledge.
grin grin grin
Trying to understand God with Human logic, thinking and analysis is futile.

If you ever have an encounter you won't doubt the existence of God forever, I pray you have one.
Ironically, God alone decides who he reveals himself to, who he favors or rejects. How he decides all these is beyond the human mind...
The ways of God will never make sense to the human mind.

There are people who go to church everyday but are still poor, there are also people who go to church everyday that are rich.
There are educated Christians that are poor just as there are educated Christians that are rich.

Understanding God's ways surpasses human capability; deciphering them would diminish His divine nature as the almighty
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 10:41pm On Dec 05, 2023

Religion has made the Nigerian government to be running away from their responsibilities

When we have accidents instead of blaming the government for poor road network we start blaming Satan and our village people .

When we have sickness that can't be cured in Nigeria because of poor health care the pastors tells us to go and pray or they will say that we are being manipulated by some evil spirits.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 10:45pm On Dec 05, 2023
shortgun:

grin grin grin
Trying to understand God with Human logic, thinking and analysis is futile.

If you ever have an encounter you won't doubt the existence of God forever, I pray you have one.
Ironically, God alone decides who he reveals himself to, who he favors or rejects. How he decides all these is beyond the human mind...
The ways of God will never make sense to the human mind.

There are people who go to church everyday but are still poor, there are also people who go to church everyday that are rich.
There are educated Christians that are poor just as there are educated Christians that are rich.

Understanding God's ways surpasses human capability; deciphering them would diminish His divine nature as the almighty

I have hard these lines for so long and you can no longer deceive me with these lines.... the ways of that god that looked on while enslavement was going on for 400yrs can never make sense to me...
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by shortgun(m): 10:46pm On Dec 05, 2023
Nonexisting1:
That's a lie. Religion only masks your evils and help you hide them well. Today, I prefer to deal with nonreligious people than religious ones. When you see an evil nonreligious person, it's easy to identify him unlike when you see an evil religion person.
This is not true, the thought of a paradise reserved for upright people and the torture of hell for evil people after death have conditioned majority of religious people to remain largely morally upright.
Take away paradise and hell which are the foundations of many religions and the world will become unhabitable.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by shortgun(m): 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2023
GuyWise101:

I have hard these lines for so long and you can no longer deceive me with these lines.... the ways of that god that looked on while enslavement was going on for 400yrs can never make sense to me...
The problem you have is that you want to interpret God as being Good.
God is not good or evil

God is good and evil, he created both good and evil....it's in his nature to become the sides of a coin...he can be and evil.
He is so to maintain the balance.... which is the foundation of the universe.
There will be no good without evil
There will be no light without darkness
For good to exist evil must also exist.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 11:02pm On Dec 05, 2023
shortgun:

The problem you have is that you want to interpret God as being Good.
God is not good or evil

God is good and evil, he created both good and evil....it's in his nature to become the sides of a coin...he can be and evil.
He is so to maintain the balance.... which is the foundation of the universe.
There will be no good without evil
There will be no light without darkness
For good to exist evil must also exist.

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy you're a comedian....

So God is the same person as Satan?

No wonder the white man never wanted to end that storyline about Satan because what will they have used to cage a black man forever?
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by GuyWise101(m): 11:06pm On Dec 05, 2023
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

But it's seems Satan is the good guy because he has the bible god many times in the battle even made him to kill 'his only begotten son'
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by shortgun(m): 11:42pm On Dec 05, 2023
GuyWise101:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy you're a comedian....

So God is the same person as Satan?

No wonder the white man never wanted to end that storyline about Satan because what will they have used to cage a black man forever?

Remember, I mentioned before that understanding God through human thinking is futile.
Can you imagine a being existing simultaneously in every place in the universe at the same time?
Do you know that the human mind with all the advancement in science and space technology can still not comprehend how big the universe is?
Do you know that 80% of the ocean is still unexplored in this 21st century?

Let still give you something to think about.
Have you come across the egg theory?
The egg theory states that God created just one human.
The billions of people that have ever lived, that you have ever interacted with are all the same person reincarnating at different times...meaning all the people in the world is just one person!

Isn't it fascinating wink

Comparing this theory with the Bible account of creation brings up some interesting similarities.
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by lwisee: 1:21am On Dec 06, 2023
GuyWise101:

That's why it's a fiction story...now let me give example

if I write a fiction story in this 2023 about a President called Tinubu who ruled a country called Nigeria and put a fiction like that 'he raped 300 women in one day' and stole a golden calf and ran to Cameroon' do you know that people reading my book in 3023 will believe me because there was actually a country called Nigeria and Cameroon and a man called Tinubu actually ruled the country..... that's how the bible was written.

You are not saying anything here, prove to us that it's a fiction
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 4:17am On Dec 06, 2023
shortgun:
Thank God for God, if not for prayers and intersessions it would have been worse than this.
Again, morally upright people are shaped by religion, take religion away and everyone will become ruthless, wicked, unforgiving and merciless.

There's a reason politicians court religious leaders....

This is totally FALSE. Yes, religion has made good impacts. But laws guide and protect the society. If people exhibit those qualities you mentioned, the law will go after them, and they could be punished for their wrongdoings.

@GuyWise101
As for the role of religion, it's not true that Europe has abandoned God. What has happened over there is that they have realised that humans wield so much powers. In fact, in Genesis, God created man and gave him dominion over the earth.

God told Adam to name every animal He created, signifying that he was in charge and powerful. Thanks to our powerful brains; humans are small gods, and God rarely interfere in our affairs because He handed this earth over to us. Many Europeans still identify as Christians today.

But the difference between us in Africa and them is that we have rendered our brains totally useless whereas God gave us those brains to run the affairs of this world. In summary, Nigerians, just like most things, abused religion and it is not the fault of the people who introduced Christianity to us that we did. God exists...
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by victorclean(f): 4:30am On Dec 06, 2023
Islamic religion is a curse to Nigeria
Re: Is Religion A Curse Or A Blessing In Nigeria by orisa37: 5:44am On Dec 06, 2023
RELIGION MAKES CENTRAL 0GOVERNMENT A CURSE ON NIGERIA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Youths Urge Tinubu To Put Zamfara State Governor On Watch / How Company Owned By Interior Ministertunji-ojo Got N438M From Betta Edu / Wike Apologises To Felix Obuah For Not Supporting His Governorship Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.