Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,426 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? (21249 Views)

How Does Management Skills Affect Employees Performance In The Banking Sector / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? / Massive Job Loss Looms In The Banking Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by pocohantas(f): 2:05pm On Dec 07, 2023
Tallesty1:
Oh, okay. That explains why it happens in first bank but it doesn't explains why it happens only in first bank.

You said FBN and you are not the first person I have seen say such about the females of old generation banks. Never seen anyone say GTB or Access bank females all look alike. Except you want to be the first.
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by kareemkamil(m): 2:21pm On Dec 07, 2023
Bcoz of there advertising strategy, & woman has no dubious act.
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Tallesty1(m): 2:45pm On Dec 07, 2023
pocohantas:

You said FBN and you are not the first person I have seen say such about the females of old generation banks. Never seen anyone say GTB or Access bank females all look alike. Except you want to be the first.
Well, I only use FB and GT so that explains it. Thankio
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by youngest85(m): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2023
IyaTola:
Leave them to their ignorance.

I have a van delivery this morning to Lokogoma. Can someone get me a driver for this?

Call +234 704 955 8669
I'm not in Abuja
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Maj196(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2023
Farfalla:

There's nothing to figure.
Both men and women possess bank accounts, so I don't understand why you believe female bank employees are hired based on their sexiness. Do these men who supposedly control the wealth of the country interact anywhere with a female employee in the Supply Chain Management department?

A former banker on this thread has already talked about the rigorous recruitment process of hiring bank employees, yet some of you still think it's about looks?

Statistics also indicate that there are more male than female employees in banks, so your argument is invalid.
Na you sabi, na wetin dey happen underground be that
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by ednut1(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2023
GreatOchuks:
The topic is highly incorrect....

However Bank work doesn't appeal to many Guys because it warrants one sitting for hours and doing same boring routine daily ,, Men love to be adventurous, able to move around and be freer , unlike Females who due to Natural features of Child bearing and being Moms will prefer a fixated job where the salary is sure and can combine with their wifely roles ..

It's the main reason why in Legal Practice, Men dominate the actual private practice, own and run Law while the Women prefer switching to the Bench to become Magistrates, be in the Ministry of Justice or become a Secretary in a Company.

However like I said earlier, the assertion is untrue
bank work doesn’t appeal to men So men prefer bricklayering, driving, teaching, etc abi There are more men working in the serious and important units in banks like trading, corporate and investment banking, internal control/audit, risk management, facility management etc . 🙄
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by pooozeee(m): 2:56am On Dec 08, 2023
Because they can confuse men to deposit and open a new account.
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by tosinhtml: 4:07am On Dec 08, 2023
Gerrard59:

It is hard dealing with most Nigerians. Facts have been presented, yet they argue stoopidly! Good enough this thread exists and unsuspecting, ignorant and arrogant readers go through it. Next time, hopefully, they would not open their smelly mouths waaaaaaaaa

My first thought regarding banking in Nigeria was that we had more women than men, noting that most Customer Service representatives and cashiers are women from my personal encounters.

That is the customer facing part of the bank and it would have been difficult to prove otherwise without data that shows us the opposite, therefore I do not blame anyone for creating such a thread. Someone even mentioned that most customer facing employees are outsourced contract staff, If you don't work in banking, you would not have these information.

It is like a client arguing with programmers on which programming language is the best for specific purposes, they will continue to argue based on what they see on Twitter or all forms of social media but their info will be largely incorrect.
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Gerrard59(m): 4:47am On Dec 08, 2023
tosinhtml:

My first thought regarding banking in Nigeria was that we had more women than men, noting that most Customer Service representatives and cashiers are women from my personal encounters.

That is the customer facing part of the bank and it would have been difficult to prove otherwise without data that shows us the opposite, therefore I do not blame anyone for creating such a thread. Someone even mentioned that most customer facing employees are outsourced contract staff, If you don't work in banking, you would not have these information.

I believe that is the basis for this thread, which is fine. The issue is explicitly stating that there are more women employed than men in the banking industry without presenting facts. An alternative way is: stating the bold, then ask, does this mean more women are employed than men by banks? Then responses would follow.

That can be tossed aside. My issue lies in other responders still arguing right in the face of hard facts presented by other responders. That is an annoying way to reason and behave.
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Gerrard59(m): 5:02am On Dec 08, 2023
GreatOchuks:
The topic is highly incorrect....

However Bank work doesn't appeal to many Guys because it warrants one sitting for hours and doing same boring routine daily ,, Men love to be adventurous, able to move around and be freer , unlike Females who due to Natural features of Child bearing and being Moms will prefer a fixated job where the salary is sure and can combine with their wifely roles

It's the main reason why in Legal Practice, Men dominate the actual private practice, own and run Law while the Women prefer switching to the Bench to become Magistrates, be in the Ministry of Justice or become a Secretary in a Company.

However like I said earlier, the assertion is untrue

It is funny how you say male lawyers move to private practice where they dominate complex and lucrative cases/contracts and female lawyers become secretaries or work for the government (less lucrative). Then, you now believe male bankers prefer to move around (less lucrative), while female bankers prefer to siddon in front of a computer (seemingly more lucrative). To prove your logic wrong, you now dispute OP's belief that banks employ more women than men. So, if men don't like bank jobs as you opine, why do banks employ more men than women?

You are conflating brawn labour for brainy work. In reality, men gravitate towards industries and roles where they would be more paid, not necessarily because it is physically demanding. Men dominate the investment banking, private equity and high-end software engineering roles (which is merely siddon in front of computer) because those roles and industries pay very high. At the same time, men dominate the oil rigs everywhere in the world because it pays higher. In teaching, men dominate subjects such as mathematics and physics because the demand and pay are higher than, say, English or Social Studies.

Men are physically more powerful than women, but that is not the major reason they do physically domineering jobs. They do any job that pays so high. Today, many men are becoming nurses because it can pay them when/if they relocate to developed countries. I am willing to bet that more male nurses than their female counterparts will opt for longer hours so they earn more money. In medicine, that is the standard; men opt for the high-paying specialities even though they might be dirtier or onerous simply because those areas pay more money. We have more male gynaecologists than female. This is not because male doctors like the woman's vagina, but because it pays higher than being paediatric. If paediatric become a high-earning speciality tomorrow, men will troop inside.

Please read about the effects of testosterone and the evolution of male species to better understand why men behave the way they do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Odibembem: 5:34am On Dec 08, 2023
bigpicture001:

mayb u know something we outsiders dont know....u may b counting ppl they call core staffs, while we count the human beings we see inside the bank...what we know is if month comes to an end, everyone receive their wages, wear bank uniforms, represent the bank nd d o all the banks bidding..

by these ppl in the bank i repeat ratio is 8:2. i visit about 7 banks everyday..i mean every blessed day..cuz i run 4 very busy pos business...i know what i see,not what paper tells u..marketers are workers, tellers are workers if the are not then let the HOP do both his job and theirs..

the bank graded the workers for different reasons mainly to cut cost, but dat doesnt mk them not to b bank workers

so brother, i reapeat 8:2 is the ratio

U only visit branches and u only encounter mainly operations staff. Branch Operations staff are mainly outsourced especially those u see on d counters receiving and paying cash. Most of them are females. Same with customer services, many banks use females there. Mainly outsourced too. But go upstairs to the marketing floor where the Branch Manager is with his marketing team. Mostly male. Visit d regional teams where u have d
IT staff, Internal Control Staff, Audit Staff, Ebanking Staff, Corporate Services Staff, etc, they are overwhelmingly male. Not to talk of Head Office where u have d big departments like Treasury, FinCon, Corp Banking, Int Ops, Risk Mgt, Legal etc, it's all male affair
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Klass99(f): 9:25am On Dec 08, 2023
Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by Farfalla(f): 9:39am On Dec 08, 2023
Klass99:

Fárfalla thank you for sharing, it made me laugh.

You're welcome Klass. I'll never fail to share Poco's witty comments. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? by tosinhtml: 3:49pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gerrard59:

I believe that is the basis for this thread, which is fine. The issue is explicitly stating that there are more women employed than men in the banking industry without presenting facts. An alternative way is: stating the bold, then ask, does this mean more women are employed than men by banks? Then responses would follow.

That can be tossed aside. My issue lies in other responders still arguing right in the face of hard facts presented by other responders. That is an annoying way to reason and behave.

Yeah, once some people hold an opinion, they want to argue until they become right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is Difference Between Resignation And Retirement? / Types Of Salary: Which One Is Yours / Ican May 2015 Result Expected July 10, 2015.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.