Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple (10013 Views)

Advise This New Couple / A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? / Advise Pls.my Wife Dresses Almost Naked To Visits A New Couple Today, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by grafikii: 1:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
hi,
i have got like 2mil to spend shld i buy a car or a piece on land and start building? i just got married and my wife is pregnant. honest advice pls
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by r231(m): 2:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
buy a cheap run around car and use the rest for the land
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by femmy2010(m): 2:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
R231 has said it.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by jarkbauer: 7:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
all said
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 31, 2011
//
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Nov 01, 2011
With a wife that is currently pregnant, having a car is no more a luxury but a necessity however, i will not advice you to get something that will cost you more to fix and ride.
Also, if you have some idea on business, having a car could be useful and be handy.
But if you and your wife could manage, buying a land might be a better investment.
God luck
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by OAM4J: 4:10am On Nov 01, 2011
Where do you intend to build the house?

I think you can still get a good car and a nice piece of land for N2M

And if you decide to buy a car, contact Fhemmmy - SaTiSfAcTn GuArAnTeE

Fhemmmy u go pay me for the ad later grin
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by grafikii: 6:57am On Nov 01, 2011
thanks all, u r advice is great, thank
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Plutarch: 8:07am On Nov 01, 2011
It depends on your source of income,the amount of income and how regular n reliable your source of income. If u r a highly paid person and u feel lyk buying a car u can get it. But if your 2m is a product of many months/years of savings/denial then its ill-advised. You can buy a car n land or invest
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by blank(f): 9:39am On Nov 01, 2011
I like where Plutarch is coming from. It depends on how regular the source of income is. Buy land only if u can be building small small. If not, just buy a good car and then start saving land (though when a kid comes, savings grow wings and disappear).

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by atasteve: 11:57am On Nov 01, 2011
Cheap, working and easy to maintain car then spend the remaining on landed property.

Pls don't allow madam to stress herself by taking Okada or public transport. With good planing you can eat your cake and have it smiley
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Okijajuju1(m): 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2011
My advice?

Buy a good piece of land!!

Being a landlord is better than being a car owner. When once you own a land, even if its a batcher you put inside of it, its your land and your home, no repairs no accidents nothing. You can start a mini business on the land and make more income. Even start farming small stuff to add to what you've got.

The land would appreciate over time, the car would depreciate by 20% of the original cost the second you drive it out of the garage where you bought it.

The car can be stolen form you the next day or accidented.

This is a case of Liability vs Asset.

Any wise man would pick an asset first. I'd rather own a home and enter keke Napep than own a car and still pay house rent at the end of the month. Just saying!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by tolu001: 12:15pm On Nov 01, 2011
^^^^^ Wise saying
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by highland(m): 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
One of the two must be a pressing need so , go for the most pressing one
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Igosun: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
Go for the two, do it moderately.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Demdem(m): 12:19pm On Nov 01, 2011
Becos of ur pregnant wife, a car isn't no longer a luxury but a neccesity. Buy a good car and u still Av enough for land.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by mum2(f): 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2011
Buying a car is no longer a luxury but a neccessity as someone had earier said. It is better to get a good car for yourself at this level. You don't build a house in a hurry unless you have a major source of income. The Lord will surely build your befitting house for u. It can even be a duplex.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by allboyz(m): 12:21pm On Nov 01, 2011
a average toks toyata care will do you okay. . . say around 500 - 600k and then get a land worth 1.2M. . . .but the location will not be 'too attractive"

go for the two. .  .its worth it! but for the land. . .  if you are in lagos. . . .START BUILDING IMMEDIATELY!!!
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by KacHemNaU(m): 12:25pm On Nov 01, 2011
Okija_juju:

My advice?

Buy a good piece of land!!

Being a landlord is better than being a car owner. When once you own a land, even if its a batcher you put inside of it, its your land and your home, no repairs no accidents nothing. You can start a mini business on the land and make more income. Even start farming small stuff to add to what you've got.

The land would appreciate over time, the car would depreciate by 20% of the original cost the second you drive it out of the garage where you bought it.

The car can be stolen form you the next day or accidented.

This is a case of Liability vs Asset.

Any wise man would pick an asset first. I'd rather own a home and enter keke Napep than own a car and still pay house rent at the end of the month. Just saying!!
advice for consideration

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by biilwwu(m): 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2011
land first, and  put at least little erection on the land.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
land, ! Anytime! Anyday! Be wise my friend!
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by SAMPILON: 12:43pm On Nov 01, 2011
A Piece Of Land
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by jaybee3(m): 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2011
Neither is viable for short term investment
For long term investment then go for the land simply because it will appreciate giving you the choice of selling or building if and when you can afford to.

Car ain't a necessity if you can't afford the running cost.

I'd advice you buy a land and look at starting a small scale business for your wifey. 2 income is better than 1
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by campella(m): 12:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
cool cool
Believe me, Buying a car is good but as one of us said earlier, depending on your income.
#2m can fetch you a nice car, land and to start something, if there you have good friends with worthy advice.
On the other hand, your wife's situation should be put into consideration.
How heavy is the pregnancy and when soon are you expecting?

To me the idea of these two is okay, if you get something very economical, not the type that would keep drying your pockets instead of adding

All the same, I wish you the best.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by ssjalo(m): 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2011
oboh go straight forward and buy a piece of land, is a good asset although is depend where you want to live.If it's in nothern part land are cheap than otherest and you even buy a honda corolla for you daily activities.

Wish you all the best !
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by born2boink(m): 1:01pm On Nov 01, 2011
Buying a car is like marrying the second wife, dashing out money on spare parts,oil and petrol but buying a land is the most suitable but Nigeria useless stupid Omoniles make it difficult but we all pray they all died instantly oneday because I hate them
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Jarus(m): 1:04pm On Nov 01, 2011
It depends on your social outlook to life. When I was in similar position few years ago(before marriage though)I went for car and if I were to be in similar position I will go for car. First car though, if a 2nd, 3rd car, will not go for such.

But I think the smarter decision is to go for land for reasons such as permanence, appreciation etc

I went for car then in protest to my parents who refused to get a car for me when i started working, contrary to family tradition. I bought land few months later.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by dchoosen(m): 1:07pm On Nov 01, 2011
You can go for both just to make ur wife comfortable, atleast a small car, its a necessity and get a moderate cost land best of luck.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by gascoign1(m): 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2011
with 2 mil u can get a small tok car and still get a land depending on where u live sha, if na Lagos jus buy small car, keep saving to get a good land and start building immediately, you can also consider starting a business while saving.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by splitnaija(m): 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
My dear, get yourself and your family a good car, land will follow naturally later except you don't have a steady means of income. I was in a similar situation some years back, I went for a car and it really spared my family a lot of inconveniences. Today, I have a storey building, a bungalow, 2 undeveloped plots, 2 jeeps and several other assets. Just believe in yourself.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by molosco: 1:41pm On Nov 01, 2011
you should go for Land because it is an aset.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by amtheone(m): 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
Guy u have to be very careful in ur choice, don't go and buy one miserable car that will take almost all ur money. I have a friend who bought a car at N140k, he spend like 160k to repair the car. He couldn't use it, finally he sold it for 80k. U can imagine this type of waste!
So pls be very carefully. Land first

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2-yr Old Offering Food To Her Handicapped Mom / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / How Do You Decribe A Perfect Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.