Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple (10008 Views)

Advise This New Couple / A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? / Advise Pls.my Wife Dresses Almost Naked To Visits A New Couple Today, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Heck: 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2011
DO NOT BUY LAND.  NOT NOW
Go for a toyota brand of car or GOLF & keep the balance for now
CAR IS A NECESSITY especially for a couple.
Land can bring so much ache
especially if you run into BIG BROTHERS, you never know a good piece of land until after buying
You need a relaxed wife to support, at least sing SORRY to you, when the tension starts
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by splitnaija(m): 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2011
Buy a good car first, preferablly a direct belgium that will only require oil change and minor repairs for the next 2 years or thereabout . Not Naija used.

And again, if you don't have money to at least fence a land immeditaley after buying, you will only be inviting trouble to yourself.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
buy a land,

then u can get a keke with the balance, for running around,

or a bike,
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by clementcro(m): 1:57pm On Nov 01, 2011
@Imanuelle, so he should be using keke for running around , LMAO,
or a bike ? to carry a pregnant woman, and a baby, lol

guy you are funny,
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 01, 2011
[size=14pt]I'm tempted to say land first. But your wife is pregnant. And to a family with a pregnant woman, a car is a necessity . .

It would be very unwise though, to spend 2 million naira on a car depending on your income. (everyone seems to say this too).If now you are saying that 2 million would be enough to buy a land, and complete the building project, then please get the land and build. Forget the car. If 2 million would not realistically buy a piece of land and complete the building project, then by all means, halve that money, spend 700k on a very reliable japanese vehicle, keep 300k for the car's upkeep and then with the other 1 million, get the land. If it cannot buy the land, save to complete it. . .

I may not have made sense, but if i were you, my wife's health comes first, and if a car would contribute in keeping her healthy, then a car is what i'd go for first. . .
[/size]
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 01, 2011
Since you are married, I think a car is necessary.

You could buy a car range from 500 - 700k, at least you will get a good one and presentable.

Then use the remaining to get a land and start building!

Good Luck
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by john6006: 2:29pm On Nov 01, 2011
Compare the two possibilities with Adams smith theory: The Theory Of Values:The value of luxurious items depreciate while the value of fixed asset appreciate.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
too many variables

where are you based? i'll assume lagos

where would you buy the land - most of the cheap land within lagos is on the outskirts and that becomes a whole new kettle of fish (security and extra long commute)

do you have funds to build a house if you buy the land, or will it lie fallow?

your need for a car depends on where you live and your working conditions

if you live close to where you work, and close to a good hospital, you can actually decide not to have a car.

a car will come with it's own wahala - petrol, maintenance, mechanics

on the flip side a car will mean you ill not have to depend on others. i remeber being woken up at 1am because my neighbours wife was in labour. they had picked a hospital in apapa, and i live in festac. when we got to the hospital, it was locked(dr's strike) we had to run back to festac to a nearby hospital. i wouldn' want to have t ask for help like that, but thats just me

a car is one of those things that once you have you will wonder how you managed for so long without.

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by dinah777: 2:47pm On Nov 01, 2011
I ll say buying a land is alot wiser,but then it depends,the circumstances of our lives r different.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by btlasisi(m): 3:06pm On Nov 01, 2011
man lucky you, you are blessed with all the nice contributions above.

From experience go for the two. You should be able to get a good and reliable car between 700k-900k and please don't look back and spend the remaining 1m on landed property and i bet it you will never regret you did so.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by shagaman: 3:08pm On Nov 01, 2011
This is a very interesting one

I would tell you from personal experience 2 miilion naira cant get a land and build a house,thats the truth,but remember building a house is in different levels,thus my advise is this get a car of around 500-700 k,i know first neighboorhood have promo plots for offer or any other one for like 500k so,you can lay foundation and start building gradually.

I believe you would still have income coming in,with these you can maintain your wife and also be rest assured of the home of your dreams.

NB, dONT DREAM OF LEKKI for land with 2 million ooooo,you have to look towards redeem camp side,
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by elomi: 3:16pm On Nov 01, 2011
Hear this.

Get a decent land in one of the private estates in Mowe or it's environs etc for say N500k. At least you are sure of security and not under pressure to develop.  With N1.2m, you can do foundation and 2 room BQ (move it back). Use N200k to start a small business on the land (Kiosk/Tuck shop).

Wit the rest of the money manage with Taxi/Red Cab etc (you can have one or two Taxi drivers who you could call at a short notice and can book for a whole day if the need arises).

Believe me it's easier than you think.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by engrj(m): 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
Go 4 land and be careful if u are in Lagos.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Nov 01, 2011
Car first.

Does it make sense having a land or building a house while hopping from Danfo to Molue?
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by jordan12(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
I will surely go for a land cause unlike car, its cost wont be less as time goes by.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Theblessed(f): 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2011
[size=16pt]Just get the piece of land please!  What if the car smash into pieces just before the ink on your signature dries out, or even before the car leaves the garage, huh!!! undecided undecided undecided undecided

Your see, land is an investment forever - it never deteriorate, it's never obsolete in fact, it gains value as years goes by but, a car is a luxury you could leave without and it becomes obsolete immediately the ink on your signature could even dry out.  So wisen up, buddy!!!!! wink
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 01, 2011
op isnt talking aboout investing,

he is talking about somethin a new couple needs,

op if u have not made up ur mind, send me ur address lemme send some ov ma bois grin grin grin to come pick d cash up,

i'll spend it wisely for uu, grin grin
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Guardian(m): 5:41pm On Nov 01, 2011
You don't have to think twice. 2 M can get you both car and Land. Do both.  You don't even have to think about it.

1.  You need the car for convenience,   Danfo, Taxi's and BRT  do not operate at 12:00am or 1:00 am God forbid you have an emergency.
2. When the child is born the poor woman needs some comfort, going to church, mosque abi where ever. Immunization etc.
3. Women generally feel comfortable when a car is around and they are driven about in it. Sadly u become the driver smiley manage am God go give u more money

1 .On the issue of Land You can get clean land for 1 Million unless u are strong headed like my friend who wants it all at half price
2. Illeya is around your 1 million is big bargaining power. Go over to property guys in Property section of Naira land and get your land.

Now go to bed
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by kollymercy(m): 5:51pm On Nov 01, 2011
seems we re almost in d same shoe!!

Here is my version

Last yr Sept, i went for small car, honda civic 1995 lol, ,

december, i went for land, got married in march,

then went for toyota corolla 2003 last month!!!

So plz, go for a car!

Follow them to Lome in Togo!!

I bought mine for 650k last yr, as we talk, its still driving great!

U end up spending alot of cash on Okada!!

Besides, you u becoming a dad in few months, dont tell me that child is gonna climb some bike too!!

Eat ur cake and have it back plz.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Tolulop001(f): 6:00pm On Nov 01, 2011
um . . . duh!

Get a nice toks car for 800-900k, give your wife comfort, abi una wan dey bus up and down with new born baby? this life is 1 oh.

Use the rest to buy a piece of land - investment for the future.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by grafikii: 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2011
thanks everyone, i think from all i have read, i wld go for a small car n get one of those private estate plots. u guys are d best. no insult and curses wow thats lovely. my family says hi
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by chinweub: 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2011
Land ---although it will be difficult , however, it will be easier now than when kids start coming.

Once you fix the land property , u can easily buy car anytime.

meanwhile, landed properties are two types ooooooo,

Is it personal or commercial?
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Guardian(m): 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2011
grafikii:

thanks everyone, i think from all i have read, i wld go for a small car n get one of those private estate plots. u guys are d best. no insult and curses wow thats lovely. my family says hi

TaaaaaaHHH sad Don't go any buy those Mowe plot ooh. It's money tied down . Nothing stops you building your house in next 1 yr.

Lekki After Awoyaya has better potential compared with Mowe Trust me. If you go past Berger stick with Mangoro (whatever they call the place), MFM is an alternative name.

If outside Lagos make best judgment. in terms of 1-2 yrs future development and potential sustained value growth.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by shileowo: 8:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
Naija,see packaging everywhere. direct and indirect adverts. My guy, do anything that makes you happy. if you like good car,buy nice one you will be happy to ride in. If you want land, buy in the area you will like to reside. Don't do anything anyhow. I believe the 2 million didn't rain on you. my 2 kobo.
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by babslepe: 4:22am On Nov 02, 2011
just get a car it is needed and invest your remaining money wisely .Land problems in lagos is too much it is not a thing to rush into cause there is no point buying a land you are not ready to develop and you keep going every month to settle land disputes boundaries and all that
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by denny4ril: 7:46am On Nov 02, 2011
Have you ever imagined why a lot of people work for their whole life and at the end begin to wait for pension that is never paid? Do you know that these are the same set of people that have live extravagant life before?

If you buy a car, you are planning for immediate convenience but if you buy a land, you are planning for the future. Since you are newly married and financial commitments is not much, go for a reasonable piece of land that can be quickly developed and leave car out of it for now.

Get you priorities right. A word is enough for the wise!

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Yewe2011(m): 8:54am On Nov 02, 2011
land appreciates

cars depreciates

but, your wife is pregnant so a car might be more of a pressing concern at this moment
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Kx: 2:34pm On Nov 02, 2011
Yewe2011:

land appreciates

cars depreciates

In all your getting, get wisdom.
enuf said.

1 Like

Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by Konnektions146(m): 4:04pm On Nov 02, 2011
@Op,

wat worked for others may not work for yu and vice versa,

Yes, we all know a car depreciate and land appreciates but with N2m, yu can get the both,
another question, Do yu have a steady source of Income? is the N2m all you`ve got?

that`ll help yu make a decision,

but in ur wife present situation, u need a car, and as well yu can get a land in all these estates and start building gradually IF yu have a steady income source, but if not steady/reliable, then yu have to start thinking abt investing in a business that`ll get yu some box, but in all, u need a small car, land(and start building on it)/investment(for income).

wish u de best and happy fatherhood!!!
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by taland(m): 4:21pm On Nov 02, 2011
This is a very close relation's experience under my counsel:

He had N1.8 with the same dilemma.

1. He bought a mazda 626 1999 model from cotonou. A fantastic buy for N800k all inclusive got the car running on Lagos road today.
The car is very necessary, you just wait till you have your child then you know what i mean.

2. He spent the whole N1million to buy a land in ikorodu and started building immidiately. you'll be shocked to what extent that amount will go if you're not planning an over ambitious project for a start

Now you will have N1.2m left wht's ur choice

Doing business can come later if yourself and your wife has a good Job that can enable you save or may be obtain a loan in future.

Land appreciates in price daily if u dont buy now, the next affordable may be in sokoto state
Re: Buying A Car Or A Piece Of Land Which Is Better For A New Couple by spyder880(m): 5:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
I wont talk, my advice here will be steeped in the thickest bias sauce you have ever seen.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2-yr Old Offering Food To Her Handicapped Mom / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / Help! I Want To Add Enough Flesh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.