Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,178 members, 7,811,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings (18761 Views)

Enugu State Government Demolishes Buildings In Centenary City, Residents Cry Out / Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf Demolishes Buildings Approved By Ganduje (Video) / FCTA Demolishes Buildings, Properties Worth Millions As Abuja Residents Lament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by lexylaw40: 8:20am On Dec 09, 2023
DAYO AYEYEMI visited the Federal Government-owned FESTAC housing estate in Lagos where residents have cried out over what they described as indiscriminate demolition of their properties.

Affected residents, comprising landlords and tenants in Ado Royal Garden Estate, FESTAC Phase 2, Abule Ado, Lagos, have decried the indiscriminate demolition of their buildings by the Federal Housing Authority (FHA).

The demolition of houses by the authority, they said, had not only thrown them in the streets but also cost them fortunes.

Since the demolition, they lamented that the center could no longer hold as they are have turned to send their wives and children to friends’ houses.

They also stressed that apart from the emotional trauma they suffered, the children’s journey to schools was affected.

The site visited by the Nigerian Tribune on Tuesday revealed that many houses were demolished by the FHA, while some (buildings still standing) were already marked for demolition.

Besides, the fear of demolition rent the entire community’s landscape. Some affected residents were seen combing the rubble for their valuables.

Also, scavengers were sighted turning the rubble for iron rods and other stuffs they can pick up for sale.

Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, one of the affected landlords, Thomas Uchenna, a trader, said he was preparing to move to his new house on November 25th, when the bulldozer from the FHA suddenly moved in and pulled down the building on the allegation that he built close to the road. He said he had hardly slept since the demolition.

He said: “The house cost me N100 million to build (both land and construction), and I wanted to pack in last November 25, before FHA came and started demolition

“They came and started the demolition from one end and suddenly jumped some houses and moved to middle and demolished my house and that of my neighbours.

“The allegation was that we built on the road and when you check very well, it’s not true. If it is about road, they should have started from the expressway and not indiscriminate demolition they embarked on.”

“What we have seen is that they would demolish house A, leave house B and move to house D. They just came from behind to the centre of the road and demolished my house and others.

“In this street alone, they have demolished eight houses,” he said.

Uchenna claimed to have bought the land from the surveyor hired by the landowners to survey the entire land in the community last year.

He said he was not aware that the FHA was laying claims to the land as of the time he bought it.

However, he alleged that all the regulatory agencies in charge of building permit, control and safety commission visited the site when he was building.

He said: “I currently squat with one of my friends around here. It has been difficult for my wife and children. It affected the children going to school but what can we do?”

He said he bought the land for N8.5 million and paid N5 million for the omo oniles.

“I have been to FHA office but I was told to come back next week,” he said.

Another affected resident, Emeka Ugo, said though he has two houses and a plot of land with foundation in the estate, the FHA had marked one for demolition and issued a stop-work order on the construction.

He claimed to have stayed in the community since 2013, saying FHA just surfaced two years ago to lay claim to the land.

Since the demolition began, he said houses worth billions of naira have been demolished by the FHA.

Currently, Ugo said residents, whose houses had been marked for demolition have been living in fear, not knowing when it would be their turn.

He said: “The way FHA is operating, they numbered some houses and asked the landlords to pay compensation. Some paid as high as N10 million, while they demolished houses that sprang up after the number issued. It is sad that Nigerians have been subjected to this treatment despite the harsh economic situation in the country. Where do we go from here?”

Another resident, Uche, a student, described FHA as a “scam”, querying why the authority waited for so long and allowed people to build houses before coming to demolish them.

Another affected resident, who simply identified himself as Sunday, alleged that officials of FHA were just working for themselves and not the government.

“What I see is personal interest on the part of FHA staff. They are not working for the government,” he said.

Efforts to get the Oba of Abule Ado to talk proved abortive as no one was there to attend to Nigerian Tribune after several knocks at the entrance gate to the palace.

Meanwhile, the management of FHA, in a published statement, has stated their side of the story.

According to the statement, the demolished structures were at the centre of major roads because they were built outside the masterplan without approvals.

The document explained that after the development of the first phase of FESTAC Town, the management of Federal Housing Authority designed the second phase with a standard layout for development.

Due to litigations that arose between the authority and some families, and subsequent court orders, the management said the development was delayed.

“Unfortunately, this situation was capitalised by some persons who started selling parts of the land to individuals.

“On noticing this, management quickly placed caveats; warning members of the public not to patronise such illegal transactions. The caveat later advised the pubic to visit FHA offices for legal searches if they must transact such business.

“The result of those transactions was the springing up of many illegal developments, built without approvals and against the master plan.”

The management alleged that houses were built at the centre of major roads, very close to the canal, without proper setbacks and very close to oil pipelines.

According to the FHA, the area was rapidly developing into a modern slum, adding that the authority’s attempt at checking this was met with heavy resistance.

In 2018, it said the authority sought the collaboration of the Lagos State government, because of security concerns, in order to be able to enter the site.

“The team started serving ‘Stop Work’ orders and eviction notices in 2019,” it said.

The management went to say that it was not until in 2021 that it decided to embark on the demolition of the illegal and substandard structures that had rapidly sprang up in total disregard of the existing layout, and in defiance to the numerous Stop Work orders that were issued by the authority.

It said it embarked on the exercise because:

“The substandard buildings under construction in the encroached areas were on swampy land, with large chances of collapse due to soil type and behaviour, and therefore, require both professional approvals and supervision.

“Some of the structures were at the center of major roads because they were built outside the Masterplan.

“The buildings never had approvals and were not supervised by our professionals, and, as such we cannot vouch for their integrity.

“Other structures were on road setbacks, drains and other infrastructure.

“Houses were built below the level of the roads and prone to collapse because of soil settings.”

However, after several appeals from some of the affected persons, who admitted to have illegally built on government land, the statement read: “the management decided to reconsider the exercise.”

At a stakeholders meeting in FESTAC Town Lagos in January 2022, the management said it decided to reconsider the demolition exercise and try to salvage as many buildings as possible without compromising standards. This was on the condition that all developments along the roads must be demolished, adding that all buildings close to the canal and pipelines must go.

“That every building not certified by FHA officials must undergo integrity test. That all forms of developments must stop.

“Contravention notices and conditions for regularisation were served on affected building. The authority would then carry out a VRR exercise: Verificaton and regularisation exercise, and, where necessary, recovery,” it read.

The FHA management, according to the statement, has started the implementation of the exercise as agreed.
https://tribuneonlineng.com/lamentations-from-festac-as-fha-demolishes-buildings/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by faebenezer5star: 9:01am On Dec 09, 2023
God help them

6 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by okeysoninv: 9:34am On Dec 09, 2023
You have 100m , billions of naira instead of going to South East to develop our land you went to a strangers land to develop it for them. Foolish set of people. They should demolish more lands of this set of foolish people who refuses to learn.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by SkullIMAM: 9:39am On Dec 09, 2023
Thomas Uchenna

100 million

This is a direct attack.

They know it , we know it .

But all will be fine in the coming years .

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Chicagograduate(m): 9:46am On Dec 09, 2023
Be a tenant in Lagos and build your houses in your respective villages.

19 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by okeysoninv: 9:58am On Dec 09, 2023
Chicagograduate:
Be a tenant in Lagos and build your houses in your respective villages.
another foolish talk , tell them to build factory. Ur village house can't fetch you Money

17 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Ikaeniyan0: 10:12am On Dec 09, 2023
Anybody that feels his or her house was unjustly destroyed should approach the court with their valid documents.

The master plan for Festac must be strictly followed

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by KillahPriest: 10:21am On Dec 09, 2023
As far as I'm concerned, all Igbos should consider leaving Lagos before March next year. Move to the SE or SS, this thing these people are doing is not normal again and besides, remember pastor Tunde Bakare's video cool

8 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by abdeefggh: 10:30am On Dec 09, 2023
Story story, Lagos state will not take nonsense from you people again, take your lawlessness back to your region

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Zaheertyler(m): 11:40am On Dec 09, 2023
If I call education now they will say it's not the solution
Why build house on a wrong site?
Why not ask necessary questions

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by ASAPFERG: 11:46am On Dec 09, 2023
Do your 2x2 business in lagos, and build whatever you want to build in your region abeg

23 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by MrColdsweat: 11:48am On Dec 09, 2023
Ndigbo are not serious. When you are ready you chase the yorubas out of igboland and demolish their houses.

Continue crying on the Internet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by slaawomirr: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2023
Damnnn niggar
Demolish any structure not well planned

C'mon look at the tribalism flying up and down here on nairaland

Like seriously

I'm gonna ignore every message on my email send my nairaland members requesting we should meet and hang out

Never never...

Mummyfour:
we have very few here that are not tribalistic. Funny enough when most of them come to ones' emails they are so humble and normal because they need something. But out here, gosh! It's a war zone. How people sleep at night after all these tribal tirades here still baffles me.
This is what our politicians wanted to achieve and they just did. Cause division along tribal and religious lines, so that we can not stand as one and fight their excesses
Exactly my sister
If you see mails for my inbox ehnn..requesting to see me face to face

But I will never meet them because they are too tribalistic
If you want to know Nigerians are tribalistic Just come to a faceless forum like nairaland and see for yourself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by MorataFC: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2023
Hmm
Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Creditalerts: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2023
Instead of you going to develop your village you are running away from witches and wizard now you have met lagos demon destroyer 😆🤣

You will now learn the hard way ,village is good for you during festive season but not for you to develop

16 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by b0rn2fuck(m): 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2023
May God have mercy upon the owners
Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by CoronaVirusPro: 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2023
You had 100M to build a house but could not use 500K to do land verification!

Money can never buy you sense!

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by NaijaGoBetter2: 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2023
By the time the government demolish 50% of all the houses in Nigeria, people will have a sense that it is compulsory to do verification before starting any construction work.

The news carries "FHA" not Lagos state, maybe it's not tribal war as some set of people make us believe.

If the government and the other tribes hate them, the government should let them go in peace and at least have a country of their own.

9 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by humilitypays(m): 12:25pm On Dec 09, 2023
The only government that enjoy throwing its citizens into poverty and hardship in the name of enforcing a useless policy that will never make meaningful impact on the citizens and society in general.

Nigerians rejoicing over these demolitions are not mentally alright honestly.

Lagos State have the highest number of building enforcement agencies. Too many of them that also have oversight roles to complement the job of one another. These corrupt government agencies will collect bribes and allow citizens waste money building houses and investments on lands they know are illegal, then after citizens waste scarce resources to erect buildings, one government will wake up one day and start a politically motivated enforcement that throws the citizens into untold hardship.

Whatever we do or support, lets all remember that life is mysterious more than we all think and see with our ordinary eyes.

4 Likes

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Funkyswagzz(m): 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Anybody that feels his or her house was unjustly destroyed should approach the court with their valid documents.

The master plan for Festac must be strictly followed

If this guy right here is the governor of Lagos am definitely sure he will act like Hitler or Kim Jong un
Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Olushyna: 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2023
Na only Igbo get house for FESTAC? And if I may ask, how many Yoruba have a house or even land in the South East?. South West remain the only region in Nigeria that accommodate all tribe

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2023
okeysoninv:
You have 100m , billions of naira instead of going to South East to develop our land you went to a strangers land to develop it for them. Foolish set of people. They should demolish more lands of this set of foolish people who refuses to learn.
as if Soludo didn't do demolishing of houses in Anambra... U pple and victimhoodnes

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by Ayo25: 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2023
grin
Re: Lamentations From FESTAC As FHA Demolishes Buildings by MrDoGood(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2023
abdeefggh:
Story story, Lagos state will not take nonsense from you people again, take your lawlessness back to your region

I'm not Yoruba nor Igbo, but this hate comment of yours will take you nowhere.

Check your life and see what I mean

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos State Government's Explanation Of Land Use Charge / Building A 6bedroom Duplex In A Half Plot (waterlogged) @enugu / Lady Scammed By Fake Estate Agent In Lagos Shares Her Victory Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.