Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,671 members, 7,813,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective (13646 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / 10 Million Naira To Japa Or Business In Nigeria / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Mpcoll001: 12:00pm On Jan 16
Japa japa....
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 12:01pm On Jan 16
thesicilian:
Seems of recent the japa momentum is diminishing gradually

Continue dey deceive yourself o, diminish koor mistubishi ni.

The momentum is high as it has always been and nothing can change that until things(basic things and economy) in the country gets better.

4 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by awoo10(m): 12:01pm On Jan 16
You completely said nonsense...

2 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Bjteensdes24: 12:03pm On Jan 16
Akwamkpuruamu:
No matter what you say, it can never discourage a serious young youth who want to japa
Thank you for this boss, you just stated the fact
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by yewit37486: 12:04pm On Jan 16
thesicilian:
Seems of recent the japa momentum is diminishing gradually

Partly because of the higher FX which means people need to save more to meet relocation requirements.

5 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by RepoMan007: 12:06pm On Jan 16
lastkingsman:
$1 = N1,200

By the time the Jagabani of borgu kingdom is done and hands over to Ganduje Gandollars, naira will be consigned to the dustbin of failed fiat currencies grin
N1310 and not N1200
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Maxxim: 12:11pm On Jan 16
God punish you
😤😆

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by HODAnson(m): 12:12pm On Jan 16
OP, your opinions are valid but I have come to realise that the quest for money and power has killed the conscience and Patriotism in a greater percentage of Nigerians.

All the opportunities you outlined can only work when we have more people with a sense of Patriotism and Consciousness to do the right things. But unfortunately the reverse is the case.

2 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by IbeOkehie: 12:14pm On Jan 16
I keep expecting the usual Anti-Jakpa Crew to chime in but it looks like they're too hungry to type. Or NEPA has seized light, or no petrol for gen. Wetin? Guys come on, this is another chance to make the case against migration.

Parent might die while abroad, those abroad can't save ₦100 million or even $100, they can't keep a wife, they borrow to pay for everything, the average Nigerian is richer than than those abroad, there's better food in Nigeria, too much racism abroad, you can't be a boss abroad....

Come on guys. Good people don't let friends Jakpa, you could be saving someone's future.

Good Luck to Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Biola67: 12:15pm On Jan 16
So you feel people will cancel their plan cuz of one random dude on Nairaland. Lol..

6 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by ogbe88(m): 12:19pm On Jan 16
[quote author=victorDanladi post=127968737][/quote]Kindly counter what he said, and stop posting rubbish.
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by NGArmyTerrorist: 12:21pm On Jan 16
Stop discouraging people that wants a better life and a better future for themselves and their families.. You that's writing this nonsense might even be in the UK enjoying and chilling..

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Muyiii(m): 12:22pm On Jan 16
Oblongata:
In 2008, I japaad for masters in Uk. On completion I had the same motivation and perspective of the Op so I 'Japaadad' to Naija. Omo, I see pepper. I thank God I retraced my steps. Please the truth is that Japaa if you have the means.

Your ordeal is similar to mine. I went for my masters in the UK 2009. I finished in 2010 and I returned to Nigerian despite pleas from my parents for me to stay back and apply for post-study permit. I came back to Nigeria and I was unemployed for good 3 years straight. I was depressed, I eventually left Nigeria and today I’m happy I did. Grown and comfortable in my career, life in general. I’m not advising folks to leave Nigeria but for the average man in Nigeria, it’s a nightmare to succeed. Look around you..the economy has made most youths online fraudsters, high insecurity, drug peddlers, should I go on. Until we have good leaders, nothing will change

7 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:29pm On Jan 16
Muyiii:

Your ordeal is similar to mine. I went for my masters in the UK 2009. I finished in 2010 and I returned to Nigerian despite pleas from my parents for me to stay back and apply for post-study permit. I came back to Nigeria and I was unemployed for good 3 years straight. I was depressed, I eventually left Nigeria and today I’m happy I did. Grown and comfortable in my career, life in general. I’m not advising folks to leave Nigeria but for the average man in Nigeria, it’s a nightmare to succeed. Look around you..the economy has made most youths online fraudsters, high insecurity, drug peddlers, should I go on. Until we have good leaders, nothing will change

Wow 3 years shocked shocked and that was when Nigeria was good o

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by IbeOkehie: 12:34pm On Jan 16
Muyiii:

Until we have good leaders, nothing will change

It's the PEOPLE that dictate what happens in Nigeria. The choices and resulting trajectory of the country in this 4th Republic since 1999 makes that abundantly clear.

You can claim whatever kind of electoral fraud, but the 2105 election produced credible results. Nigerians got what they wanted.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by lastkingsman: 12:43pm On Jan 16
RepoMan007:
N1310 and not N1200

grin

He's on track to making naira as useless as Zimbabwe dollars
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by pacespot(m): 12:43pm On Jan 16
If Nigeria remains the way it is without devolution of powers to the states, then Japa is the only option

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Psammmy(m): 12:46pm On Jan 16
Let who wan travel to travel.. We are all Nigerians both home and abroad n we all know how both ways work.. Anybody wey travel make him travel, naija still get 200 million people for house for Nigeria.. Even countries like China, India et al, thier citizen still travel. Everybody get reason why e travel.
If I bi moderators, I for Don block this japa nonsense new, Na old news and e don stall..

quote author=OmoGomesIlorin post=127418620]Reconsidering the Call to Japa: A Counter Perspective
Rejoinder to 11 Reasons Why You Must Japa From Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/7936687/11-reasons-why-must-japa#127418405

The recent post enumerating 11 reasons to encourage individuals to "Japa" from Nigeria presents a one-sided view of the situation. While acknowledging the challenges facing the nation, it is essential to consider a more balanced perspective before making such a life-altering decision. Below are my counterarguments to the points presented:

1. Diverse Futures in Nigeria:
The assertion that the future in Nigeria is uniformly bleak oversimplifies the complexity of the nation. Nigeria has a diverse and growing economy, with numerous success stories in various sectors. By actively participating in and contributing to the local economy, individuals can positively impact their own and their families' futures.

2. Access to Quality Life in Nigeria:
Nigeria does face challenges, but it also offers opportunities for a quality life. Investments in education, healthcare, and security are underway, and many individuals are successfully navigating these systems. Emigrating is not the only path to a fulfilling life.

3. Poverty Beyond Borders:
Generalizing that everyone who leaves Nigeria escapes poverty oversimplifies the multifaceted nature of economic challenges. Many Nigerians living abroad face their own financial struggles, and success is not guaranteed solely by leaving the country.

4. Life and Spiritual Fulfillment:
Suggesting that all life and spiritual problems end upon leaving Nigeria oversimplifies the human experience. People's beliefs and challenges vary, and attributing them solely to nationality is reductionist.

5. Prosperity Through Hard Work:
Success is not exclusive to geographical location. Hard work can lead to prosperity in any part of the world. Painting Nigeria as a place where success is only luck undermines the efforts of many hardworking individuals in the country.

6. Japa as Paradise:
Romanticizing emigration as paradise oversimplifies the challenges faced by immigrants in adapting to new environments. Success abroad often requires significant effort, resilience, and adaptation.

7. Trending vs. Critical Decision:
Making life-altering decisions based on trends may not be the most prudent approach. Trends are transient, and considering individual circumstances and goals is crucial in making such a significant decision.

8. Individual Paths and Success:
Labeling those who stay in Nigeria as failures oversimplifies success and happiness. Many individuals find fulfillment and success by contributing to the development of their home country.

9. Due Diligence and Informed Choices:
Ignoring due diligence when deciding to emigrate is risky. Thorough research and understanding of the destination country are essential to make informed decisions that align with personal goals and values.

10. Remaining Population in Nigeria:
Exaggerating the number of people who have emigrated may not accurately represent the current situation. Many Nigerians choose to stay and contribute positively to the nation's growth.

11. Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates:
Associating life expectancy solely with geographical location oversimplifies the factors influencing mortality rates. Health, lifestyle, and access to healthcare are significant contributors that vary globally. There locals who still live above 80 years.

In conclusion, the decision to emigrate is deeply personal and should be based on a comprehensive understanding of individual goals, circumstances, and the evolving landscape of the home country. Painting an entire nation with a broad brush may not capture the diverse experiences and opportunities available within it.[/quote]
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by ObalendeCMS: 12:47pm On Jan 16
I just couldn't read past the first point.

2 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by IbeOkehie: 12:55pm On Jan 16
pacespot:
If Nigeria remains the way it is without devolution of powers to the states, then Japa is the only option

There will be no devolution because THE PEOPLE of Nigeria PREFER a Unitary structure where the Federal Government controls everything. That way if your tribe gets federal power they can steal from other tribes.

In fact it's more likely that more powers will accrue to the Federal Government, for example the APC sponsored Water Resources Bill is likely to be reintroduced and may pass. This will give WATER the same status as crude oil & gas and other minerals.

As to the principle yes, Nigeria needs decentralization of everything possible, but it won't happen.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by enambobo(m): 1:08pm On Jan 16
Article is dead on arrival. Nothing you fit tell me.

2 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by EDOLUWA: 1:20pm On Jan 16
A friend was in Nigeria from UK after 2 years there, he came with intention of staying back. He drove from Ibadan to Lagos burning fuel of N30,000.

He Japa back to UK sharply sharply

4 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by EDOLUWA: 1:32pm On Jan 16
IbeOkehie:

There will be no devolution because THE PEOPLE of Nigeria PREFER a Unitary structure where the Federal Government controls everything. That way if your tribe gets federal power they can steal from other tribes.

In fact it's more likely that more powers will accrue to the Federal Government, for example the APC sponsored Water Resources Bill is likely to be reintroduced and may pass. This will give WATER the same status as crude oil & gas and other minerals.

As to the principle yes, Nigeria needs decentralization of everything possible, but it won't happen.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

You are super correct
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by psucc(m): 1:47pm On Jan 16
I will only say that the OP is an enemy of progress.

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by CheedyJ(m): 1:50pm On Jan 16
Dey play oo. Since you are aware that 'japaing' Is a personal decision so why d epistle

2 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by owem19(m): 1:53pm On Jan 16
Trash 🗑️

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by iHart(m): 2:19pm On Jan 16
OmoGomesIlorin:
Reconsidering the Call to Japa: A Counter Perspective
Rejoinder to 11 Reasons Why You Must Japa From Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/7936687/11-reasons-why-must-japa#127418405

The recent post enumerating 11 reasons to encourage individuals to "Japa" from Nigeria presents a one-sided view of the situation. While acknowledging the challenges facing the nation, it is essential to consider a more balanced perspective before making such a life-altering decision. Below are my counterarguments to the points presented:

1. Diverse Futures in Nigeria:
The assertion that the future in Nigeria is uniformly bleak oversimplifies the complexity of the nation. Nigeria has a diverse and growing economy, with numerous success stories in various sectors. By actively participating in and contributing to the local economy, individuals can positively impact their own and their families' futures.

2. Access to Quality Life in Nigeria:
Nigeria does face challenges, but it also offers opportunities for a quality life. Investments in education, healthcare, and security are underway, and many individuals are successfully navigating these systems. Emigrating is not the only path to a fulfilling life.

3. Poverty Beyond Borders:
Generalizing that everyone who leaves Nigeria escapes poverty oversimplifies the multifaceted nature of economic challenges. Many Nigerians living abroad face their own financial struggles, and success is not guaranteed solely by leaving the country.

4. Life and Spiritual Fulfillment:
Suggesting that all life and spiritual problems end upon leaving Nigeria oversimplifies the human experience. People's beliefs and challenges vary, and attributing them solely to nationality is reductionist.

5. Prosperity Through Hard Work:
Success is not exclusive to geographical location. Hard work can lead to prosperity in any part of the world. Painting Nigeria as a place where success is only luck undermines the efforts of many hardworking individuals in the country.

6. Japa as Paradise:
Romanticizing emigration as paradise oversimplifies the challenges faced by immigrants in adapting to new environments. Success abroad often requires significant effort, resilience, and adaptation.

7. Trending vs. Critical Decision:
Making life-altering decisions based on trends may not be the most prudent approach. Trends are transient, and considering individual circumstances and goals is crucial in making such a significant decision.

8. Individual Paths and Success:
Labeling those who stay in Nigeria as failures oversimplifies success and happiness. Many individuals find fulfillment and success by contributing to the development of their home country.

9. Due Diligence and Informed Choices:
Ignoring due diligence when deciding to emigrate is risky. Thorough research and understanding of the destination country are essential to make informed decisions that align with personal goals and values.

10. Remaining Population in Nigeria:
Exaggerating the number of people who have emigrated may not accurately represent the current situation. Many Nigerians choose to stay and contribute positively to the nation's growth.

11. Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates:
Associating life expectancy solely with geographical location oversimplifies the factors influencing mortality rates. Health, lifestyle, and access to healthcare are significant contributors that vary globally. There locals who still live above 80 years.

In conclusion, the decision to emigrate is deeply personal and should be based on a comprehensive understanding of individual goals, circumstances, and the evolving landscape of the home country. Painting an entire nation with a broad brush may not capture the diverse experiences and opportunities available within it.

For the fact you used "oversimplifies" too many times in the writeup oversimplifies the reasons to japa.

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Mcslize: 2:24pm On Jan 16
Op don't let me catch you. Thank your star you created this thread last year. I hope you can see the series of kidnappings going on in the capital city of Nigeria currently.

cc: OmoGomesIlorin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First International Flight Set To Be Receved At Kaduna Airport This Morning.PICS / Jumia Travel Hotel Booking Reviews? / Vulture Stalking Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.