Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah (27290 Views)

Fans Excited As Osimhen Dribbles Gattuso In Napoli's Training (Photos) / Obasanjo, Ambode And Oshoala At The Aiteo CAF Awards (Photos) / Mohamed Salah Wins 'African Player Of Year' At CAF Awards (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by robosky02(m): 6:42pm On Dec 11, 2023
Algeria boycott CAF awards in support of Mahrez as Osimhen challenges Salah for Best Player honour

The Nigerian international is in the running for his first Player of the Year award while the Liverpool forward edges closer to his third accolade

Algerian football will not be represented when Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen, Morocco’s Achraf Hakimi, and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah go head-to-head for the 2023 CAF Africa Player of the Year award tonight, Soccernet.ng reports.

President of the Algerian Football Federation, Walid Sadi, has declared that Algerians will boycott the CAF Awards ceremony set to be held in Morocco in support of Manchester City forward, who was snubbed from the final three shortlist.

Mahrez won the treble – UEFA Champions League, Premier League, and FA Cup – with Pep Guardiola’s men but was not considered among Africa’s three best players.

The former Leicester City winger was an influential player for Manchester City as he contributed 17 goals and 19 assists in all competitions for the champions.
In contrast, Salah made the final draft despite Liverpool going without a trophy during the 2022-23 season.

Morocco defender Hakimi won the French Ligue 1 with PSG and was a crucial member of the Atlas Lions side that reached the semifinal of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar – the first African team to reach that stage.

Osimhen, who will likely be crowned the continent’s best player, won the Scudetto with Napoli and became the first Nigerian to make the Ballon d’Or top ten.

Still, Sadi believes Mahrez should be among the top three nominees, and he made his position clear during a press conference, stating,

“I will not attend the CAF Awards ceremony. I have informed CAF of my decision, and, with the grace of God, no Algerian will be present at this event in solidarity with Riyad Mahrez and the Union Sportive de la Medina d’Alger.”

Osimhen has, however, landed in Morocco ahead of the CAF award ceremony, where he is favourite to become the first Nigerian in 24 years to be named Africa’s Footballer of the Year.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/12/algeria-boycott-caf-awards-in-support-of-mahrez-as-osimhen-challenges-salah-for-best-player-honour.html/amp

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by God1000(m): 6:43pm On Dec 11, 2023
Osimhen all the way, I'm rooting for him

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by finegirl233: 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2023
They should go and die.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by GanagiBitrus: 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2023
-Algerians will claim Mahrez deserves the Title.
-Nigerians will claim Osimhen deserves the Title.
-Moroccans will claim Hakimi deserves the Title.
-Egyptians will claim Salah deserves the Title.

Nobody dey gree say him mama soup no sweet. Na so life just be. smiley

141 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by FuckingMachine: 6:55pm On Dec 11, 2023
Nonsense.
CAF should ban them to boot.

Who the Bleep do they think they are?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Wealthoptulent(m): 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

As a Nigerian, na HAKIMI I dey route for.

He don do well for both Football field, & brotherhood field... real African man, he deserves the AFRICAN AWARDcheesy grin

Beuberry:

Thunder locate n tear one of ya socrotum! ⚡
One P.Allevistion programme Trainee sighted cheesy wink

Beuberry:

Dog go bite you this week or make motor jam you. Pick one!
None of the above,
I go pray , I go pray o, if I no pray Devil go mess me, I go pray o.. if jesus fit pray, if Peter fit pray, if Moses fit pray, who am I wey no go pray!
Ur devil wan dey mess ME grin

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Omoawoke: 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2023
Please give Oshimen and Asisat Oshola

Hakimi is a strong contender

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Amigoss: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
wink

1 Like

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Lantosed: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
Oshimen should win the award! Make them no do another ojoro like they did to mikel Obi. Anyways hakimi is worthy of making the final 3o or final 4,the guy won treble

4 Likes

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Chijeep(m): 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
Religion of piss and sentiment self...
Make Oshimen win what he deserved joor

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by robinfemi: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by thatigboman: 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

Algerians are boycotting the occasion solely because of salah. They believed that the top 3 would have been osihmen, mahrez and hakimi.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by GreaterFuture(m): 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2023
Let the experts say...
Was he deserving or not to be there?

Brand new HUAWEI BAND 8 For Sale. Sealed and untouched. Several units available.
Unbeatable Best price of ₦45k..
DM -- zero9045327063

1 Like

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by chocboi78(m): 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2023
Lol. I’m not surprised. No spirit of sportsmanship
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Adonisty: 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2023
how many appearance did that mahrez had in those treble competition. If Grealish is an African, he would have been a better contender than Mahrez.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by MEERLEEQ: 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2023
I want Osimhen to win, but Mahrez deserves to be in the top 3. They have valid points. He had a fantastic season.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Ikaeniyan0: 7:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
It won't stop osimehin from wining

4 Likes

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Ekugbeh(m): 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
Their headache
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by AbuAeesha: 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
Ideally,they have a valid point.

13 Likes

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by femi4: 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
What was Marehz contribution last season.
They should go n rest.

Top 5 African best should be a starter and not a sub

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Felabrity: 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
Salah, Hakim and Mahrez are not winning shiit

Osimhen is not among the top 8 in the Ballon Dor ranking for no reason

He earned it

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by ogbe88(m): 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
robosky02:
Algeria boycott CAF awards in support of Mahrez as Osimhen challenges Salah for Best Player honour

https://soccernet.ng/2023/12/algeria-boycott-caf-awards-in-support-of-mahrez-as-osimhen-challenges-salah-for-best-player-honour.html/amp
The Award if for Hakimi.
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by sirpharrell(m): 7:10pm On Dec 11, 2023
The top three should have been Osimhen, Mahrez and Bonou.
It is ridiculous that Salah made the top three ahead of Mahrez and Bonou.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by PHIPEX(m): 7:10pm On Dec 11, 2023
King Osimhem for the crown
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by femi4: 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2023
ogbe88:
The Award if for Hakimi.
The award always favour strikers. I can't remember the last defender/wing back or gk that won the award

2 Likes

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by OmoFiditi: 7:12pm On Dec 11, 2023
Salah has no business being among the top 3.

It should be Osihmen, Mahrez and Hakimi.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2023
femi4:
What was Marehz contribution last season.
They should go n rest.

Top 5 African best should be a starter and not a sub
Guy read.

1 Like

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by bestman09(m): 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2023
This is unsportsmanlike. Sportsmanship is the driving force behind every success and failure
Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by iamoyindamola(m): 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2023
Very true
What's sallah doing in top3

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by Obaofaba: 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2023
He deserved to be among the top three.

Osimhen is here because he won a title, Mahrez won three and got involved in close to 40 goals in all contribution.

Sallah has no reason to here.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algeria Boycott CAF Awards In Support Of Mahrez As Osimhen Challenges Salah by SmartyPants(m): 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2023
Most people don't know that the North Africans actually don't like each other.

Algerians and Morrocans especially hate each other. And Algerians and Egyotians are rivals too.

I can see how humiliating that would have been for the Algerians to go to Morrocco to see a Morroccan and Egyptian on the shortlist.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enyeama Snubbed Me, Rejected My Calls Over 10 Times - Rohr Opens Up / Chelsea Goalkeeper Kepa Releases Statement To Clear Up Strange Sub Situation / “Talk Is Cheap” – Oshoala Backs Super Eagles To Disappoint Yaya Toure, On AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.