Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,764 members, 7,813,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment (19987 Views)

How To Check Payslip From IPPIS / Please Stop Calling Emergency Room To Request For My Number - Pretty Firefighter / Below Are Companies That Pays Individuals To Watch Movie Preview In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Hinokami: 3:25pm On Dec 14, 2023
israelmao:
Many employers are exploiting the high rate of unemployment to make unnecessary and senseless requests from their prospective employees.

E tire me oo.. We'd soon pass all this stage God willing

4 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by GreenCovering: 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2023
Femich18:
Why should they even ask for payslip in the first place if not for ulterior motive?

Just submit the payslip but give them a detailed explanation of your monthly income if they will employ you they will

The ulterior motive in most cases is that they are only going to negotiate you based on a percentage that is fixed to your current earning and not on the real value that you are coming in to deliver: 15%, 25% etc on top of your current earning.

It's one of the indicators of a micromanaged company with dodgy remuneration strategies.

5 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Poanan: 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:
During my initial interview I gave a figure that was above my current pay, now they insist on me providing the payslip before proceeding to the next stage of the employment process.

The thing is I have monthly bonuses not captured on the payslip and I fear not providing evidence would make me disqualified for the role.

Who has navigated such process before as I don't know what to do.

Is it even legal to ask for payslips?

Will they actually contact my current employer to verify the payslip?

Note: it's a financial institution. I heard they are fond of doing this during their recruitment.

Tell them u are not allowed to disclose. That are bond by the agreement u signed with the previous firm.

3 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by aliscomonaj: 3:38pm On Dec 14, 2023
Provide the exact payslip you have and don't alter it. Wherever they ask that this not what you told them, reply by telling them the other allowancs are not captured in the payslip.
Hinokami:
During my initial interview I gave a figure that was above my current pay, now they insist on me providing the payslip before proceeding to the next stage of the employment process.

The thing is I have monthly bonuses not captured on the payslip and I fear not providing evidence would make me disqualified for the role.

Note: it's a financial institution. I heard they are fond of doing this during their recruitment.

2 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Hinokami: 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2023
aliscomonaj:
Provide the exact payslip you have and don't alter it. Wherever they ask that this not what you told them, reply by telling them the other allowancs are not captured in the payslip.

Done so already. Thank you
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by OfficialAPCNig: 3:41pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Never you tell interviewers your current pay or your expected pay. Also, give them a range.

If they insist, they tell them you prefer to keep it personal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by SavageMaster: 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

I am not in support of giving out payslips or asking a potential employee for their payslip.

They should have just asked you for an employment letter or an ID of your current company

Tell them you are not comfortable handing out your payslip to them

Their considering you for the job was based on your capabilities, isn't it?

If they decide not to take you, oh well!

My personal opinion though

2 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Odidigboigbo(m): 3:50pm On Dec 14, 2023
miketayo:

Then 90% of financial companies are useless, I will tell them I signed and NDA.. they only do this to under pay you. Your last salary shouldn't bother the new company you want to work for
Not really, they only want a prove of your claim. They already have in mind of the grade they want to employ before the interview and everyone in that pay grade in the same department earn the same thing. If what you asked is far above the salary grade they want to employ, they will politely tell you.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Ashirioluwa: 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Go to your payroll department to get a documentary evidence of the so called monthly bonuses and payslip you’re talking about, and then present same to them.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by dapsoneh: 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2023
Higherthan:
Aye dapsoneh ti baje Tiran Tiran ASE
oriburuku ti ba Higherthan.. ASEEEEEE
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Basit99(m): 3:55pm On Dec 14, 2023
Reply your email
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Silentgroper(m): 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2023
I thought you get paid by the company making transfer directly to your account...

Whats the payslip about

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Difrent: 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2023
heykims:
But why did you lie too na?
Yra, some establishments request for payslips of your previous job just as evidence of past employment and not necessarily to investigate your previous pay.
But now that u have lied nko?

Is it a LIE .
or Negotiation.
I don't have to tell them the real amount I'm currently earning because I want to negotiate a deal I may quote a higher amount than I earn. It will be a lie if he was specifically asked "what was his current pay"
But if he was asked "how much would you like fo be paid"...... Then he didn't lie
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by IamOlorunwa: 4:15pm On Dec 14, 2023
Go and edit your payslip to what you mention to them earlier

they are MAd

Hinokami:

1 Like

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Konjiboii: 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

E no go pass Nownow or palmpay
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Idoko619(m): 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Better don't lie, give them the pay slip you have. Write an accompanying message telling them the other pay is inform of bonus and commission and that, the pay is not structured, what I mean not structured is that it doesn't come the same amount, it could be less or more and sometimes cash, but that what you said during the interview was the average.
Then go ahead and discuss with who ever you're giving the number out as your reference in your current organization. That way when they call, the story will be the same. Remember lies always come back to hunt.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by papyjaypaul: 4:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
I acutally consider this practice a complete non sense

I've encountered it twice, I decline giving them the document

I still got both job anyway

This is what the OP needs. Back it up with a lawyer's note and he will know his worth. Na lack of self confidence and exposure de make am fear. If they want you they will get you. The Hiring Manager will start asking why they have not hired you and HR will be looking like Dundee United
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by miketayo(m): 4:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
Odidigboigbo:
Not really, they only want a prove of your claim. They already have in mind of the grade they want to employ before the interview and everyone in that pay grade in the same department earn the same thing. If what you asked is far above the salary grade they want to employ, they will politely tell you.

First of all, they didn't need to ask me about my previous salary, so I wouldn't need to prove my claim. My soft and technical skills should be their consign. If what I asked for is too much, they should move to the next candidate.
you are looking at it from a company integrity point of view, but that is clearly not their intention, they want to under pay you, or pay slightly hight than what you presently receive.

4 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by papyjaypaul: 4:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
I acutally consider this practice a complete non sense

I've encountered it twice, I decline giving them the document

I still got both job anyway

This is what the OP needs. Back it up with a lawyer's note and he will know his worth. Na lack of self confidence and exposure de make am fear. If they want you they will get you. The Hiring Manager will start asking why they have not hired you and HR will be looking like Dundee United. You shouldn't have lied about it but they have no right to know what you earn and your bank statements.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by papyjaypaul: 4:41pm On Dec 14, 2023
OluAKGBGN:
My advice to you is that you should talk to someone in your current company's accounting department, someone who won't cast you. Those accountants are the ones that can help you out. Potentially you have gotten a new job. Act fast bro, good luck to you.
You are encouraging forgery. That iz fraudulent.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Oyindamolah: 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

They don't add up.

What a dilemma
I would have told you what to do but nah, I wouldn't.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by papyjaypaul: 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2023
GreenCovering:

The ulterior motive in most cases is that they are only going to negotiate you based on a percentage that is fixed to your current earning and not on the real value that you are coming in to deliver: 15%, 25% etc on top of your current earning.

It's one of the indicators of a micromanaged company with dodgy remuneration strategies.

Gbam. OP, the person that knows your real value is your manager you want to work with, not HR. HR does not know your value and you need to let them know it with your confidence. They work with budget and are happy to save the company money during your recruitment. You should be happy to work for what makes you happy and increases your value. This stage is what they call negotiation. You must be smart, tactical and aggressive for your best interest. The Hr you are afraid of can leave that company tomorrow and you end up pricing yourself down because you let someone who does not know your value price you down. Always know the industry average and NEVER be at the mercy of another human being. Forget all those talk people are giving you. Price yourself high and they go give you high. Why Messi de collect money pass him mates for the same ball. Na negotiation and value

2 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by airsaylongcome: 4:50pm On Dec 14, 2023
dettolgel:
My advice, don't forge any document and don't give it to them.

Tell them that you are not allowed to discuss your pay while still in the service of the company. Providing the document will contravene such.

Ensure your response are professional and straight to the point.

I hope that during the interview you only gave them a ballpark figure not an exact figure?

The only way really.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by papyjaypaul: 4:51pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Done so already. Thank you

If they ask you more questions, reply them that will they allow their current staff disclose MNO Financial institution payslip to another company? Reply respectfully but put them in their place, dem go fear and respect you. Part of negotiation amd pricing is what you say and how you say it.

Tell them I have discussed this with my lawyer and he said abcd. Call one of your friends that is a lawyer. I can see that in all the comments no one has answered your question if the company can ask you to provide payslip. Most of these HR people are members of CIPM. Go and find out what they are taught and use it against them.

3 Likes

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Dadimendino: 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Print your 6months account statement as substitute for payslip instead. That'll now show your OT and other bonuses/allowances
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by airsaylongcome: 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2023
miketayo:

Then 90% of financial companies are useless, I will tell them I signed and NDA.. they only do this to under pay you. Your last salary shouldn't bother the new company you want to work for

I mean! What effrontery! I guess they are only asking for this because they have an idea of the pay for the OP's role in the industry the OP works in and are puzzled that they are earning (way?) above industry average. Still they have NO RIGHTS to demand it. They have a budget for the role they are hiring and should stick to that budget

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by olisaEze(m): 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2023
grin
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by ppogba: 5:05pm On Dec 14, 2023
The way people talk about legality or otherwise of issues on this forum is sickening.

He is even asking whether it is legal.

Assuming it is illegal, why not take the company to court instead of asking stupid questions on Nairaland.

Someone lied at interview and is asking whether something the potential employer wants is legal. Shior!

1 Like

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by BOSSkesh(m): 5:36pm On Dec 14, 2023
[quote author=Justiceleague1 post=127480569][/quote]
You this rat you’ve been mentioning me with all your alternate monikers
Rest I’m no the cause of your life problems
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Originalsly: 5:38pm On Dec 14, 2023
Companies do require you submit parsnips.... mainly to verify your work history. But they usually state this in their requirements. You're applying to a financial company where your integrity is most important. I want to believe this was an integrity test and you failed it. They first asked you how much you earned .... then requested you present the payslip to show you are a truthful person. You failed that test. Now why should they believe anything you say?.. the reports you may submit? ... etc? You got bad advice. The company has a pay range for the position.... maybe 300K to 500K ... they're not much concerned about how much you made ... unless you made less that their starting salary.

1 Like

Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Dogshow(m): 6:08pm On Dec 14, 2023
Op, I've got this best advice for you.

Kindly tell them that, "Due to the confidentiality agreement signed at my current employer which mandates me to keep my renumeration between myself and my employer, I am bound by oath not to share this information."

OR

They should let you know if this response of yours would be a blocker in processing with this process as they may need to write to your employer to waive this NDA.

Best regards.
Re: Companies That Request For Payslip Before Employment by Yoighaman(m): 6:51pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hinokami:

Seems you lied about your income, if you did, forget about the job. Banks and financial institutions don't play with this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Calls Out Jason Njoku Of Irokotv Over "Workplace Pressure" / COVID-19: Last Minute Rush As FG Set To Bar Unvaccinated Workers Tomorrow / A Nairalander Bought Me A New Safety Boot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.