Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress - Nairaland / General (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress (36012 Views)

Canada’s Global Talent: Get A Work Permit In As Little As 2 Weeks! / Show The Tangible Progress, Not Your Butts, Reno Omokri Reacts At #10yearschall / 5 Reasons Why You’re Not Making Progress In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Uchedizzy(f): 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
I even taught it was from my phone self
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Cromagnon: 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders and Advertisers.

Nairaland's server was taken down by our host's abuse team because of an abuse report that wasn't attended to on time.

After rectifying the error, we brought the server back for a few minutes, but they decided to take the server down again. Since then, we haven't heard from the abuse team, yet the support team keeps insisting that only the abuse team can help us.

So we had to transfer Nairaland to a temporary host in order to bring it back to you. A VERY time-consuming process. We are not fully back, even though most features of the site are working. We still have a long way to go. Additional downtime is likely; don't let it alarm you.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to go back to work to ensure that our return is permanent. Please forgive us for the stress we caused. We appreciate the love and support that you showed us during the ordeal. Nairaland is too important for us to let this happen again.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
better get your own server and backup
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by pattybf(f): 9:07pm On Dec 21, 2023
TolaniLuv:

Seun, I have some advice for you. I know you can read this, and I want you to know that I care about you, bro. If you check my profile, you'll see that I've been a member since around 2008. I urge you to consider selling Nairaland to an active person or a young individual who can become a shareholder. If you don't take this step, Nairaland, which is a source of pride for Africa, might face failure.

You are too slow.

You are too dull.

You are too stagnant.

The world has moved forward, and now there are millions of people like you.

Meanwhile, nobody knows what you look like in person, and you don't grant any interviews or interact with your peers. Are you even real?

A simple Google search will clear your doubt!
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by tabaralph: 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

"Multi billionaire investment". Which currency are we talking about please?
Trust me on this Seun osewa is a billionaire…
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by abbey621(m): 9:45pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

As far as I know, there are no such restrictions on reddit as a forum. Individual subredds may place a limitation of age of account being like 20 days or having say 100 karma. But bots get around that pretty easily. That's why you have karma farms there. That doesn't solve the problem, it only kicks it down the road.

As for tying each account to an IP address, I'm sure you know that no one gets a unique IP address. Tying accounts to phone numbers, kiss your user base good bye

Subreds are part of reddit hence I maintain my stance, there is some type of limitation. Further it is really easy to validate based on Ip address tied to a MAC address, the intention here is to limit bots/spammers and make the ban system more effective, if the system detects more than one registeration from a MAC address within a month, that address should be flagged and suspended, new accounts should be limited from sensitive forums like politics and religion, this will effectively demoralize Nairaland trolls......If Nairaland is to survive in this new age, it must combat this problem through technology and innovation!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by SaLongs1(m): 9:46pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:

Nairaland's server was taken down by our host's abuse team because of an abuse report that wasn't attended to on time.

After rectifying the error, we brought the server back for a few minutes, but they decided to take the server down again. Since then, we haven't heard from the abuse team, yet the support team keeps insisting that only the abuse team can help us.

So we had to transfer Nairaland to a temporary host in order to bring it back to you. A VERY time-consuming process. We are not fully back, even though most features of the site are working. We still have a long way to go. Additional downtime is likely; don't let it alarm you.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to go back to work to ensure that our return is permanent. Please forgive us for the stress we caused. We appreciate the love and support that you showed us during the ordeal. Nairaland is too important for us to let this happen again.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Thanks for your efforts because I thought that I had been banned already but thank goodness it isn't so.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 9:52pm On Dec 21, 2023
abbey621:

Subreds are part of reddit hence I maintain my stance, there is some type of limitation. Further it is really easy to validate based on Ip address tied to a MAC address, the intention here is to limit bots/spammers and make the ban system more effective, if the system detects more than one registeration from a MAC address within a month, that address should be flagged and suspended, new accounts should be limited from sensitive forums like politics and religion, this will effectively demoralize Nairaland trolls......If Nairaland is to survive in this new age, it must combat this problem through technology and innovation!

MAC addresses will be spoofed. And this isn't from malicious attacks. iPhones can randomize your MAC for privacy reasons. I regularly turn it on. Add that to VPN and tools like Tor, that's going to be easy to beat
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 9:55pm On Dec 21, 2023
tabaralph:

Trust me on this Seun osewa is a billionaire…

Like I said, in what currency? I'm probably a billionaire in Zim Dollars. You say he's a billionaire. Is that in USD? Cos ₦1bn is not up to $1m. Don't tel me to "trust" you. Prove to me.

Plus the business owner is different from the business.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by abbey621(m): 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

MAC addresses will be spoofed. And this isn't from malicious attacks. iPhones can randomize your MAC for privacy reasons. I regularly turn it on. Add that to VPN and tools like Tor, that's going to be easy to beat

I write scripts and develop algorithms for a living, I can easily detect randomized MAC, VPN, any solution is better than the rubbish that exists now. My preference and the easier solution would be to require multi factor authentication for all users. Your Nairaland account is tied to your phone number, your phone number can never be a virtual or pseudo phone number(Google voice) but an actual number tied to a device but like you said it affects user base.

Ultimately, where there's a will, there's a way......The only person that can give a definite answer is Seun! Only he can say Niaraland is bringing so so in terms or frevenue and he's willing to spend so and so to sanitize it and protect it from trolls and spammers! You & I can argue all day but the ball's in his court!
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by PHAYOL81: 10:25pm On Dec 21, 2023
Thank GOD you're back.

EACH setback is a lesson that propels towards a better stage with proper implementation of the new knowledge.

NAIRALAND can, will and must only get better. BE rest assure that GOD's in control and the VICTORY IS YOURS AND ALL OF US WHO WISH YOU WELL
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Cuntface: 10:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun talk to your mods.
Sadly you have one of the worst moderators in the world.
They overlook insults and tribal slurs from some members and ban others for the most trivial things.
Ban NLPoliceWoman, that thing hasn't done any good to the site and its obvious it's moniker.
There shouldn't be any sacred cows, talk to your biased moderators.

As the site went down have they been able to flex their powers elsewhere??

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by latiephwald(m): 10:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
I've been having cool night since NAIRALAND Outage. Now I don enter sleepless nights again sad cry

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2023
abbey621:

I write scripts and develop algorithms for a living, I can easily detect randomized MAC, VPN, any solution is better than the rubbish that exists now. My preference and the easier solution would be to require multi factor authentication for all users. Your Nairaland account is tied to your phone number, your phone number can never be a virtual or pseudo phone number(Google voice) but an actual number tied to a device but like you said it affects user base.

Ultimately, where there's a will, there's a way......The only person that can give a definite answer is Seun! Only he can say Niaraland is bringing so so in terms or frevenue and he's willing to spend so and so to sanitize it and protect it from trolls and spammers! You & I can argue all day but the ball's in his court!

Your final summary is the crux of all our back and forth really. Every other thing we are doing is just mental gymnastics. If the business doesn't see a need to, we go just "spoil" our voice shouting on each other. If they decide to go the phone number route, na bye-bye from me. Loads of forums to spend time on rather than one that wants my phone number. Many people seem to forget that this is a forum and not a Facebook or Instagram for example

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by NLPoliceWoman: 10:45pm On Dec 21, 2023
Cuntface:
Seun talk to your mods.
Sadly you have one of the worst moderators in the world.
They overlook insults and tribal slurs from some members and ban others for the most trivial things.
Ban NLPoliceWoman, that thing hasn't done any good to the site and its obvious it's moniker.
There shouldn't be any sacred cows, talk to your biased moderators.

As the site went down have they been able to flex their powers elsewhere??
Seun Mynd44 Dominique Justwise.
Rule 2.
Rule 3.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ikorodureporta: 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Na wa o shocked
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Kay25(m): 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Thank u seun ur haters no get peace of mind while u las pas dem
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by VULCAN(m): 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2023
This is one of the tribalists.

Nothing can change them.

Overflowing with hate

Goodnewsforlife:
u igbos are d problem

Even when he did everything to satisfy u, he brought chinedu here live during election, he created a thread to support obi mumus, he made it clear here that he instructed his mods to ban all apc accounts

He even said it here that the accounts should b banned n that’s how my main account was banned till 2026

Imagine n still u igbos ain’t satisfied
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by emmabest2000(m): 11:03pm On Dec 21, 2023
Welcome back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by VULCAN(m): 11:15pm On Dec 21, 2023
A Tribalist spotted.

buhariguy:
idiotic pigs are trying hard to bring Nigeria and nairaland down,
they will not succeed
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ufuosman(m): 11:22pm On Dec 21, 2023
👍🏽
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by abbey621(m): 11:25pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Your final summary is the crux of all our back and forth really. Every other thing we are doing is just mental gymnastics. If the business doesn't see a need to, we go just "spoil" our voice shouting on each other. If they decide to go the phone number route, na bye-bye from me. Loads of forums to spend time on rather than one that wants my phone number. Many people seem to forget that this is a forum and not a Facebook or Instagram for example

That's right, at the end of the day, the owner must balance the cost and effect between people like you who would say bye bye and the risk of being shutdown again by a host or other regulatory body.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by stanbright(m): 11:27pm On Dec 21, 2023
Goodnewsforlife:
everyone returning d bad energy to igbos doesn’t have a job

U igbos should know u are now dealing with yorubas n not d north that u can denigrate anyhow
You don’t have a job
This forum was pulled down because of people like you. Aren’t you tired of your life?
If you continue this way, you are indirectly destroying your tribesman business unknowingly.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by soccerlite: 2:43am On Dec 22, 2023
Nairaland that has turn to gutterland

Home of tribalism and bigotry
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Olamilekan92: 6:30am On Dec 22, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Thank you Mr Seun
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by lakezone67(m): 7:04am On Dec 22, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Well done sir ♥️♥️
Wish Nairaland the very best
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by BeeNG3: 7:05am On Dec 22, 2023
Eish
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Mayhem1: 8:35am On Dec 22, 2023
CoronaVirusRelo
FreeStuffsNG
Almiron
Peacemaker5128
LegendHero
TheNiceGuy
KingKO22
Islandlady
Wickedfacts
LeoDeKing
ipobarecriminals
Zulum500
Officialgarri
shortIGBOman
ElSudani
Moh247
Drlateef
Jack500
LILTJAY
igbotormentor
ThatFairGuy1
yarimo
seunmsg
sarrki
Oyin44
PandoraObi
Mccullum
VoteTinubu2023
Himtulie247
Garfield1
assholemods
YorubaSamurai
JAMO84
Mercury12
fareed69
Benuejosh
Madridguy
UndisputedKOC
lhordspy
ASAPFERG
Throwback
BATified2023
yamiriflathead
BigBrother9ja
Okoroawusa
Ekundayo7574
Omoawoke

Seun all these guys I mention are the ones that will spoil your market, ban them now before it's too late, they're bigots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by o123456789(m): 8:43am On Dec 22, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
For Nairaland to be taken seriously again, a detailed report of what transpired that led to the take down of Nairaland server should be made public, not this "running around the bush" infact the story from Seun Osewa is confusing. For example some media houses are reporting that Cloud flare is the host of Nairaland and Cloudflare took down Nairaland. For clarity sake Cloudflare is not a website hosting company, instead Cloudflare is a content delivery network (CDN), and Cloudflare cannot take down Nairaland. Secondly it is very rare to shutdown a website because of a comment or post from a user, meaning I am convinced that there is another reason for the takedown eg. The use of Nairaland server for hosting malicious contents like Botnets and Trojans, or sending a malicious email using Nairaland mail server. Bottom line is a detailed technical report is needed from Seun Osewa regarding the takedown of Nairaland, because Nairaland is no longer a private company with private interest, Nairaland thrives on post from users and not posts from the owners.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Petrol Tanker Leaks Fuel At Oshodi - Pics / Year 2015 Hilarious And Memorious Events In Photos / Green Snake In My House Pls Help!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.