Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,191 members, 7,835,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress - Nairaland / General (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress (36260 Views)

Canada’s Global Talent: Get A Work Permit In As Little As 2 Weeks! / Show The Tangible Progress, Not Your Butts, Reno Omokri Reacts At #10yearschall / 5 Reasons Why You’re Not Making Progress In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by stanbright(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
Goodnewsforlife:
u igbos are d problem

Even when he did everything to satisfy u, he brought chinedu here live during election, he created a thread to support obi mumus, he made it clear here that he instructed his mods to ban all apc accounts

He even said it here that the accounts should b banned n that’s how my main account was banned till 2026

Imagine n still u igbos ain’t satisfied
You have started again
Can’t you rest
You just want to spoil someone’s business because you don’t have a job
We are getting to a new year, better change. Hate will consume you if you don’t

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by agabusta: 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
omoadeleye:
Sorry ern, we know the particular people reporting your website they were even celebrating the downtime of the website too. But God pass them

I was shocked at the hate they were heaping on Nairaland as if the forum members are not the ones that made the environment toxic.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2023
omohayek:

As odious as the tribalism on this site can get, even the most blatantly tribalistic insults wouldn't have been even close to being enough to trigger a site takedown by a hosting service. Even sites which host much more intense manifestations of hatred are allowed to stay up undisturbed as long as they don't cross certain lines, such as calls for violence, propagandizing on behalf of proscribed terrorist groups, hosting images of gore (e.g. the sorts of images associated with IPOB killings), or "doxxing" and other forms of harassment of particular individuals. I'm sure that if Seun ever feels inclined to go into the details, it will become obvious that something of the sort of behavior I mentioned was to blame.

What is clear from all of this is, at least to me, is that Seun's unwillingness to invest in improving the technology behind this website is now coming back to bite him. As I've said numerous times, relying solely on manual moderation isn't scalable, nor can human moderators be relied upon to be objective, especially when it comes to comments involving their own tribes. Automated content moderation is something any big site has to have to keep the trolls in line, but Seun seems uninterested in either adding it himself or bringing onboard others who can help him implement it, which is now he is now needing to find new permanent hosting in a hurry.

Now that I think about it again, could it be as a result of anti-Israel posts?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by otomatic(m): 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2023
Stephench:

Do hosts know what people are typing on a website they're hosting? That obviously wasn't the type of abuse.

Only the government can issue directives on hate speech and not web hosts or server providers

I don't know. But he said the site was reported for abuse.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Sweetvie: 2:35pm On Dec 21, 2023
Wow
Good to be back smiley
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by livenija: 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2023
otomatic:
Please, this should not happen again.

Forum members should learn civility and avoid ethnic profiling and "cuss" words.
Mods should be up and doing ensuring the Forum is sanitized.
Bots or algorithms should be deployed to take down offensive posts ASAP.
Management should run business continuity tests periodically and have contingency plans in place

I know how many times I have refreshed this site in the last 3 days.

Thank God it's back now.
eat a dick
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2023
tabaralph:

Nairaland is a multi billionaire investment, nothing is too much to keep it afloat, otherwise he should sell it to Facebook owner I understand that guy was interested in nairaland some years ago.

"Multi billionaire investment". Which currency are we talking about please?
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by LooneyLester: 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Not possible

4chan pol board posts more dark stuffs more than nairaland politic section and they havent been done anything

Most hosting companies don't give af about what's going on their hostee site

Nairaland was under a ddos attack that's what they had to switch to new host

Seun just day whyne us with nonsense story , if you check , e no gree disclose the hosting company name

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2023
Ajoray:

I wish you would be more innovative with this site. I get how the brand is the simplicity, but if you follow the suggestion of that guy on twitter, it will be nice.
Put more features, and put a switch option between both looks
You could easily have been the twitter of Nigeria based on when you started, but no, you go to twitter first to report that Nairaland is down

I don't get why a lot of users feel they are best placed to critique the site when they don't have information of what goes on inside. This bland outdated look has been the sites selling point. We don't need those fancy Javascript laden frameworks that will use up loads of data and take 2mins for the page to load.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Mellijoe: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2023
Anyone looking for an alternative forum site can go check out Vouchaah https://vouchaah.com/

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Mellijoe: 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2023
Check out this alternative https://vouchaah.com/
Justdare5502:
I was using this Nairaland alternative when the site was down
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Mekoyaw(m): 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2023
Since the nairaland server went down, it remind me of those days when u switch on the TV & no stations on display...it felt boring & lost.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by chukseric504869: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2023
Missed nairaland like kilode
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by dannyspeejay(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2023
Bless u Seun
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by omohayek: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Simply making anti-Israel posts wouldn't have been enough, given how unpopular Israel is across much of the world (particularly in majority Muslim countries). It would have had to be something as serious as either glorifying terrorism or outright inciting others to violence, and if Israel was involved, it would only be because those who object to genocidal anti-semitism are more likely to have the will and know-how to report the issue to hosting services, unlike when Nigerians act in the same manner towards each other.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Sisib15: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2023
I miss this site. I kept refreshing and refreshing. Thank God we are back
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Jesubaby: 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2023
Thanks goodness!! Got really downcasted while trying several times to open the site.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by livinbygrace: 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders and Advertisers.

Nairaland's server was taken down by our host's abuse team because of an abuse report that wasn't attended to on time.

After rectifying the error, we brought the server back for a few minutes, but they decided to take the server down again. Since then, we haven't heard from the abuse team, yet the support team keeps insisting that only the abuse team can help us.

So we had to transfer Nairaland to a temporary host in order to bring it back to you. A VERY time-consuming process. We are not fully back, even though most features of the site are working. We still have a long way to go. Additional downtime is likely; don't let it alarm you.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to go back to work to ensure that our return is permanent. Please forgive us for the stress we caused. We appreciate the love and support that you showed us during the ordeal. Nairaland is too important for us to let this happen again.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

the shut down is long overdue,your site is gradually turning triballistic ,by allowing people to make insighting statement against one tribe or the other in order to get traffic.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by profagbaje(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2023
such a inspiring story of gritty doggedness in the face of heavy criticism and unnatural negativity; you continue to inspire many & all this is to your continuous evolution into the brand that never dies - more grease to your gears, power to your elbows

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Felabrity: 3:06pm On Dec 21, 2023
I just have a question Mr seun

What the hell will happen to nairaland after your demise?

What did you put in place to keep the site moving?
The hosting stuff, management and everything

Abi the site to die with you?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2023
I hope you have learnt your lessons on how to curb your forum of bigots and make it peaceful and serene for people to participate in.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by oladipupo2234: 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2023
Build your server in any region with the highest traffic and deploy CDN solution to deliver your content across the globe.

By the way, you need to switch from your curreny host company as they can not be trusted again.

Host your servers yourself or use a multi cloud deployment. you can use AWS, Azure, Google or any other to prevent single point of failure.

Many options available to avoid this downtime.

Iambro:
build your own server

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by PotatoSalad(m): 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2023
Fuckingmallam45:

[s]Competition this, competition that, you can also build your own site, if it's easy. Igbos and Yorubas are the people that want to ruin this young man. If this is how Americans think about competition, Facebook wouldn't have grown up to this extent. Let's appreciate our own, irrespective of the tribe, belief of the founder. After all, we are all Nigerians before any other thing. [/s]
He doesn't have competition. Simple

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Abimbola29(m): 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2023
Saun I was so worried why nairaland was not going abeg find another host server to avoid such pls
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Rejouir: 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2023
This forum should be shut down just for 90 days.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by xukwaa: 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2023
I am addicted such that I had to check every hour of the day unknowingly. Oga Seun should organise a party for us in Lagos for fun and give away. It has been years now.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by oladipupo2234: 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2023
He can colocate his servers with reliable data centre service provider like MainOne, rack centre and others. No need to worry about cooling, security and others.

Get the service running and use 2 CDN solution providers to share content across the globe. If one CDN is unfortunate, the other would be up and running.

airsaylongcome:

Build Nairaland own server? How? The cost of that is going to be prohibitive. Power, cooling, security, safety (fire,flood and what have you).
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ifinger: 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2023
tivta:
Hope you have learnt your lesson

I hope he learnt anything too else e go choke the next time
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by siant: 3:24pm On Dec 21, 2023
I didn't know nairaland has become indispensable part of my daily activities. First day, second day, the same thing. I was like which kind wahala be this. I was trying to move on without nairaland, alas, it was so difficult.

Oga seun, accept Jesus into your life as your Lord and Saviour.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Conductor Cooking Under Petrol Tanker [photos] / Here’s How Kano State Counted Down To The New Year In Style (PHOTOS) / Accident Involving Iyare Motors & A Highlander On Benin Igbobazuwa Way: Graphic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.