Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,999 members, 7,810,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign (15370 Views)

Buhari Approved Naira Redesign, Tinubu Rejected It, Is All Really Well In APC? / Six Times Buhari Has Disobeyed Court Orders / I Was Rigged Out Three Times – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Islie: 7:27pm On Dec 23, 2023
Jim Obazee, a special investigator appointed by President Bola Tinubu to look into the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s books for the period Godwin Emefiele was governor, has released the report of his investigation.

Part of the activities the investigator looked into was the implementation of the widely condemned Naira redesign policy introduced a few months to the 2023 general election.

Obazee found that Buhari did not approve the policy that saw the CBN redesign three of Nigeria’s highest currency denominations: N200, N500 and N1000, according to the law. He indicated that the policy was approved by Sabiu Tunde, Buhari’s nephew, who allegedly wielded enormous power during the lifetime of the last administration.

“The former president tagged along but did not approve the redesign as required by law. Buhari merely approved that the currency be printed in Nigeria. The redesign was only mentioned to the board of the CBN on December 15, 2022, after Emefiele had awarded the contract to Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Plc on October 31, 2022,’’ the report read in part.

However, FIJ has found that Buhari repeatedly maintained that he approved the policy. In his more recent interview with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), the nation’s broadcaster, he further justified the essence of the policy.

OCTOBER 2022
On October 30, 2022, Garba Shehu, former Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, reported Buhari to have confirmed during an interview conducted in Hausa Language that the CBN had his backing in the execution of the policy programme.

The statement read in part, “President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday said that the decision of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to launch new designs and replace high-value Naira notes had his support and is convinced that the nation will gain a lot by doing so.

“Speaking in a Hausa radio interview with the famous journalist Halilu Ahmed Getso, and Kamaluddeen Sani Shawai to be aired Wednesday Morning on Tambari TV on Nilesat, President Buhari said reasons given to him by the CBN convinced him that the economy stood to benefit from a reduction in inflation, currency counterfeiting and excess cash in circulation.”

Buhari’s vocal support for the policy drowned out former Finance Minister Zainab Ahmed’s opposition to the controversial policy. On October 28, Zainab had told the National Assembly that her ministry was not consulted in the formulation of the policy. She warned that the programme would have grave consequences for the economy.

“We were not consulted. It was an announcement that we heard,” she said. “Part of the reasons that was advocated is that it is one of the ways to mop up the liquidity to manage inflation.

“But there are also consequences; we are looking at what the consequences will be. There will be some benefits, but there will be some challenges. And I don’t know whether the monetary authorities have actually looked very closely at what the consequences and how they will mitigate it.”

NOVEMBER 2022
The former president unveiled the redesigned banknotes on November 23, 2022. During the unveiling, he said the apex bank sought his permission and he granted it after considering “all the facts and reasons presented before me by the Central Bank”.

‘‘In line with this power, the Central Bank Governor approached me earlier in this year to seek my permission to embark on a currency redesign project. I considered all the facts and reasons presented before me by the Central Bank,” Buhari said, according to a statement published on the State House website.

NOVEMBER 2023
Beyond the press releases, Buhari personally confirmed his approval of the Naira redesign policy in his November interview with NTA.

“Whether Nigerians believe it or not, we are an underdeveloped country. And in that sort of situation, there is materialism and sometimes ruthlessly, they didn’t care how they made the money,” he said.

“I still feel that the only way I could deprive these people was just to make sure that my integrity became unquestionable. I think, as a developing country, we still have a long way to go.

“The motivation (for the policy) was to try and make Nigerians believe that there is no shortcut to successful leadership.”

As the investigator did not state whether he interviewed Buhari during the course of his investigation, it remains to be seen what the ex-president’s handler’s reaction would be to this revelation.

Emefiele is being prosecuted by the Department of State Services (DSS) over allegations bordering on charges comprising money laundering, breach of the Public Procurement Act and abuse of office.

https://fij.ng/article/flashback-3-times-buhari-said-he-approved-naira-redesign/

8 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by slivertongue: 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2023
APC is a crime scene

116 Likes 10 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by slivertongue: 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2023
APC administration is a crime watch

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by vanbonattel: 7:30pm On Dec 23, 2023
Emefiele's only sin was being Igbo.

Wike will be feeling super hero now, till they remember his surname and what it really means.

104 Likes 15 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by TemplarLandry: 7:30pm On Dec 23, 2023
I've never been his fan.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by kingsways: 7:32pm On Dec 23, 2023
This so called investigator is definitely incompetent and biased

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by CodeTemplar: 7:54pm On Dec 23, 2023
We already understand. Was it not same despot who handed power to Tinubu and pretended a compromised INEC was doing well?
Is-Lie keep exposing their lies that it isLie.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by saintkel(m): 7:54pm On Dec 23, 2023
Let's pls forget dis man...that man destroyed dis country badly.....so even if Tinubu fails which I don't pray for.....d north has done d damage n now looking for someone to pass d blame.....example Jonathan

13 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by jojothaiv(m): 7:55pm On Dec 23, 2023
Buhari, a Nigerian one time president is no saint but his crew wouldn't mind to recommend him for saint hood.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by chaddy16: 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
V
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Sundaland: 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
FG Will Recover Two Banks Illegally Sold To Former CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele – CBN investigator
Read details
https://dailypostngr.com/2023/12/fg-will-recover-two-banks-illegally-sold-to-emefiele-cbn-investigator/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Killermamba: 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by saintkel(m): 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2023
vanbonattel:

Wike will be feeling super hero now, till they remember his surname and what it really means.
pls D then CBN governor is not Igbo.....n only bad things Nigerians de always tag south south people to be Igbos....had it bin he had done super well....we won't hear d Igbo part of him

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by nepapole(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2023
vanbonattel:

He is not igbo

Una don come again with your nonsense comments

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Achor1111(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2023
Ewefiele!
Ewewiele!!
Emewiele!!!
Sorry, Emefiele is their problem.
Tribalism has blinded their eyes
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by DaTruths: 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2023
Tinubu with his ancestral cowardice wouldn't prosecute Buhari, but would prosecute Emefiele that was only following orders because he's not Fulani or Yoruba.

Is Emefiele the only corrupt individual of the past administration?

How about the Aso Rock cabals?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by NGArmyTerrorist: 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2023
The Zoo must fall..
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Abbeytoy(m): 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2023
Buhari is a criminal, but who will arrest the President when the likes of Obi and other looters are still in the street?

If you're to arrest anyone, I believe every past head of State and ex Governors should lead.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Rumaysahh1: 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2023
Noted
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Venom11(m): 8:00pm On Dec 23, 2023
carterguccy:

Keep quayet boy!

Ipob always thinking the world revolves around Igbo 🙄
For y? Do you have a better reason y other culprits arent over bars with him?
Atleast give d man a fair trial and end these whole tribalistic triangles

5 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by chubinwa(m): 8:02pm On Dec 23, 2023
They are scared of making case with the Fulanis. Yorubas are toothless bull dogs

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by CSTRR: 8:04pm On Dec 23, 2023
And now they are punishing my language man.

Someone that should have filled CBN with Ika sons and daughters or anioma atleast, was busy kowtowing to Fulani agenda.

Idiot.

We have the best human capital in delta state.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by airsaylongcome: 8:04pm On Dec 23, 2023
Support does not mean approval. Approval would mean a document was signed by the president, in his regular signature

10 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Obakoolex(m): 8:06pm On Dec 23, 2023
undecided The person below me has said it all.... Buhari was the most unfortunate president Nigeria had.
Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Kaa4(m): 8:07pm On Dec 23, 2023
Whatever was done by his cronies and apointees was done by him. Buhari remained the most incompetent leader Nigeria has been unfortunate to have. Let Adesina and Garba come out and defend the economic and financial irresponsibilty and rascality of the highest order and general misgorvernance that pervaded the country during his time.

6 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Beuberry(f): 8:11pm On Dec 23, 2023
Arrest Buhari. All these trash is annoying. In sane climes, na who sin dey chop sin reward.

7 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:11pm On Dec 23, 2023
Emefiele is just the fall guy for Buhari, Sabiu Tunde and Aisha with Yusuf him pikin.

If u can't arrest Buhari, is Tunde too big to be arrested alongside Emefiele? Why is the young boy untouchable

13 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: 3 Times Buhari Said He Approved Naira Redesign by Ogene001: 8:11pm On Dec 23, 2023
nepapole:

He is not igbo

Una don come again with your nonsense comments
Godwin Ifeanyi Emefiele is an Igboman

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Campaign Song Plartform Opens: Young Nigerians Excited / 2023: Makinde Goes Spiritual, "Awaits God’s Decision / Obaseki Declares For Edo Governorship Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.