Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,138 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? (22831 Views)

How Do Teachers Cope With Large Class Sizes? / Why Do Teachers Encourage Malpractice? / Learn Machine Learning Self Taught - Video Lectures And Textbook Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ItisWell22(f): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

I was a teacher for 5 years. Was the best graduating student. I know what I'm talking about.

Evidence choke! πŸ™Œ

Weldone! πŸ‘

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by 4KNGOATS(m): 10:30am On Dec 24, 2023
A student that hasn't gone through much obstacles in terms of problem solving brought about by simple school exercises,test, and exams can find it
relatively difficult in solving his day to day life problems.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by LeoDeKing: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2023
grin
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Odidigboigbo(m): 10:32am On Dec 24, 2023
MikeTyson:
Very lazy sect of education charlatans. They f√cking made me feel I'm not smart. Thank God for computers... Today I am one of the smartest dude from my secondary school that is killing it without yahoo
Being intelligent in formal education doesn't make someone to be smart/intelligent in real world and vice Vasa. More so, no one is dumb, it's all about discipline and commitment. You are a victim of whatever you fear, what you confront becomes your victim. Just seat down and think of those subjects you thought that they are difficult then in school if you don't fear then nor have lackadaisical approached towards them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by matm: 10:46am On Dec 24, 2023
Not dwelling on external exam past questions and lacking the rightful teaching methods especially Maths teacher.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by bonnyhope: 10:56am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:
Why do teachers teach the simple part especially of subjects that have calculations and leave the students to solve the hard part that is unrelated to the simple one they taught?

Same with text book writers. They will give an example with a simple question, but when it comes to excerices, they expect the students to solve harder ones that are not related to the examples they solved.

I don't see that as a way of making the students smart. If you will ask them to solve a problem show them how to solve a problem of same level of difficulty.

Learning should be simple but we want to compicate it.

The result is seen in our graduating students, most EnD up not being able to solve simple problems because they have been confused. If the method is not working, then change it!

You develop your brain faster when you think and attend those exercises correctly.

They don't want to spoon feed you and not doing anything yourself
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by tuzle(m): 10:59am On Dec 24, 2023
It is the same thing everywhere. Even problem solving algorithms, the samples are always simple but the one they give u to solve is always hard. They give the hard ones to make us think more. If u are able to solve the hard one urself then u can be sure that any other question from there will be simple for u, unlike when the hard one is solved for u.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by occfx: 11:05am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:
Why do teachers teach the simple part especially of subjects that have calculations and leave the students to solve the hard part that is unrelated to the simple one they taught?

Same with text book writers. They will give an example with a simple question, but when it comes to excerices, they expect the students to solve harder ones that are not related to the examples they solved.

I don't see that as a way of making the students smart. If you will ask them to solve a problem show them how to solve a problem of same level of difficulty.

The result is seen in our graduating students, most EnD up not being able to solve simple problems because they have been confused. If the method is not working, then change it!

British system of education has finished Nigeria. That's why when we go to UK for masters we come out with first class. They will tell us to do something and go back and do something else in their country. They notice only igbos has the mind of there own hence they are making sure the igbos are been ruled over by those who swallow what they say hook line and sinker.

All our professors are idiotsss, they have not invented or discovered anything yet they all came out with first class and we are still towing the same path they went through. It is evident that the next generation will still be as useless as the professors we have a the moment. The educational sector needs total overhauling.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by MikeTyson(m): 11:15am On Dec 24, 2023
Odidigboigbo:
Being intelligent in formal education doesn't make someone to be smart/intelligent in real world and vice Vasa. More so, no one is dumb, it's all about discipline and commitment. You are a victim of whatever you fear, what you confront becomes your victim. Just seat down and think of those subjects you thought that they are difficult then in school if you don't fear then nor have lackadaisical approached towards them.

Oga, no dey do over sabi house wife for weytin you no know.

Would you expect an 11 years old African child to have this conscious some 20 year ago?

I loathe people who think they can advice or motivate people in liu of whatever might have happened.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by musicwriter(m): 11:17am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

That's exactly what the teacher is supposed to do. The teacher is trying to baby-walk you into being able to figure out things by yourself.

As I said in my book, "the teacher is not really teaching you anything, rather the teacher is just giving you a lead".

What the teacher is doing in the classroom is like a stranger meeting you on the road and asking you: how do I get to Oladele Street?

Then, you explain to the asker (student) that "when you get down the street, turn left. You'll get to another street called Azikiwe street. When you get there, turn right, you'll see a five storey building painted blue, turn right, etc until you get to Oladele Street"

Once you (the teacher) has done the above, your job is done. It's up to the stranger (learner) to find Oladele Street by themselves using the clues you gave him/her. The education does not happen in the classroom, rather the education happens in your independent search for Oladele Street. The things you learned on your own is what the education is about.

The purpose of education is to train your mind to learn how to think on it's own i.e to learn how to learn on your own.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:29am On Dec 24, 2023
MikeTyson:

Oga, no dey do over sabi house wife for weytin you no know.

Would you expect an 11 years old African child to have this conscious some 20 year ago?

I loathe people who think they can advice or motivate people in liu of whatever might have happened.

I'm not motivating anyone but saying the obvious. I'm equally a victim of of my confession. Imagine a teacher coming into a class and be telling his students that the subject he is about to teach is a difficult subject?
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by perdollar(m): 11:53am On Dec 24, 2023
To make u think out of the book
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by femi4: 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

That's wrong

The problem we have is the application of knowledge gained in the four walls of the classroom.

Both examples and the so called 'hard exercises ' don't teach that.

Now , coming to your question about simple examples and difficult exercise.....As a teacher, I have given you a solid foundation, I will like you to put the creative part of your brain into use by solving or attempting to solve the difficult exercise before the next class

Nobody will spoon feed you in life, once you get the basics, run with it and get better by the day
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by gladdensir(m): 12:16pm On Dec 24, 2023
That's what makes me hate math till today. After 2+2, 3-1 and 4 divided by 2 wetin concern me with 2x raise to power 100. Na who get time dey find x wey no lost.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Paramount01(m): 12:22pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

I was a teacher for 5 years. Was the best graduating student. I know what I'm talking about.

This is my tenth year in teaching, op just pour out what my students use to say, until one day I entered the class, told them I will solve my class work and give u my example to solve since u said my example is always simple, they could not solve it, saying is hard. Calculation is alla bout concept, just get the concept and see how easy it is

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Ritapearlydove(f): 12:36pm On Dec 24, 2023
ManirBK:
true talk
To bring about the need for extra tutor.
More money for the teachers.

Jokes aside, it is done to encourage students to read wide, and make research.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 12:47pm On Dec 24, 2023
femi4:
That's wrong

The problem we have is the application of knowledge gained in the four walls of the classroom.

Both examples and the so called 'hard exercises ' don't teach that.

Now , coming to your question about simple examples and difficult exercise.....As a teacher, I have given you a solid foundation, I will like you to put the creative part of your brain into use by solving or attempting to solve the difficult exercise before the next class

Nobody will spoon feed you in life, once you get the basics, run with it and get better by the day
The question is ... does it work? If your assessment will be true more than 50% of your students will fail. We understand the purpose, we are not dumb, what we are saying is the method doesn't work. If most of the students will find it difficult to solve does that make it a good method even when you have the best intentions? Have you seen Indian textbooks? Have u seen how easy it Is to follow and solve thier exercises? Can you say Nigerian students are smarter than Indian kids? Why is it that same Nigerians who don't do well in school do better when they Japa? Does that not tel you that that method is not working for them? We don't care about your intentions, we only care about the result of your methods and its not working for students in Nigeria. I was also a teacher...it's not learning...it's just confusing students

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2023
musicwriter:

That's exactly what the teacher is supposed to do. The teacher is trying to baby-walk you into being able to figure out things by yourself.

As I said in my book, "the teacher is not really teaching you anything, rather the teacher is just giving you a lead".

What the teacher is doing in the classroom is like a stranger meeting you on the road and asking you: how do I get to Oladele Street?

Then, you explain to the asker (student) that "when get down the street, turn left. You'll get to another street called Azikiwe street. When you get there, turn right, you'll see a five storey building painted blue, turn right, etc until you get to Oladele Street"

Once you (the teacher) has done the above, your job is done. It's up to the stranger (learner) to find Oladele Street by themselves using the clues you gave him/her. The education does not happen in the classroom, rather the education happens in your independent search for Oladele Street. The things you learned on your own is what the education is about.

The purpose of education is to train your mind to learn how to think on it's own i.e to learn how to learn on your own.
Seems like you've not read Nigerian calculations text books. Have u read Indian text books? Can u see easy they are to follow?

There's a fine line between leading and misleading. Nigerian textbooks and the methods teachers use are failing. Can u say Nigerian students are smarter tha Indian students that it better explained?

How many Nigerian students can successfully pass waec mathematics without help?
Does that not tell you that your intentions are not working? Result is better than intentions.

The fact is that 90% of Nigerian students cannot pass waec mathematics on their won using this your methods. Teaching is different from lecturing... what u are describing is lecturing

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Ravenna: 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2023
meum:
If you understand the method used no question in that mathematics textbook is too difficult.

Our maths teacher back in the day simplified everything in such a way that those of us that had interest in the subject were able to grasp.

No, you're wrong.

It depends on the school, management and the teacher in question.

In 1996, I attended Sango Sec school, Agege Lagos State.
The math teacher was a stupid Olodo and he made our lives useless- It's everyday-Flogging.
I kukuma skip his class to avoid being Flogged by the teacher.

My parent later took me to SPED Int,l Sec School, Oyo state, that was where i experienced real Education.
The teachers don't Flog, they were so exceptional in teaching pupils with love and everything became clear and so simple.
I come dey Chop mathematics like Beske, Physics, Chemistry, Further math became chin-chin for me.

Finally finished SS3 in 2002 at the Iconic-School "Igbobi College" Yaba Lagos.

My WASSCE result became a solid foundation for many other Certs.
I'm now working with Dangote group.

The credits belongs to SPED intl School management, Oyo state.
For- reshaping and refocusing my life with Love.

My dad was a Special Ed, Lecturer tho, he never Flog me when i performed woefully at Sango Sec School.
He knew all I needed was a better School and The OYO state F.C.E Staff School was it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2023
occfx:

British system of education has finished Nigeria. That's why when we go to UK for masters we come out with first class. They will tell us to do something and go back and do something else in their country. They notice only igbos has the mind of there own hence they are making sure the igbos are been ruled over by those who swallow what they say hook line and sinker.

All our professors are idiotsss, they have not invented or discovered anything yet they all came out with first class and we are still towing the same path they went through. It is evident that the next generation will still be as useless as the professors we have a the moment. The educational sector needs total overhauling.
πŸ’―
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2023
bonnyhope:

You develop your brain faster when you think and attend those exercises correctly.

They don't want to spoon feed you and not doing anything yourself

I was the BGS of my set. Uncle this method is not working. Result surpass intentions.

How many percent of Nigerians can successfully pass waec mathematics without help?
How is the method now helping? If most of them will fail does that not tell you there's something wrong with the method?

Have u seen how easy Indian textbooks are? Are they not more enlightening?

There's a fine line between leading and misleading

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 1:02pm On Dec 24, 2023
Realist777:

This was my major problem in secondary school then. Teachers kept giving us simple physics and mathematics questions as examples but the exercises are harder and sometimes unrelated to the steps used in the examples.
As a little gangster who recently got someone encouraging him to go to school, I was always bringing some of the difficult questions from the exercises to my physics and mathematics teachers respectfully without fears. Though it normally made the class boring whenever they were to use those hard questions as examples. Then I realized that using the difficult questions as example would make the class boring and students would hate the subjects.
I corrected this in the school where I served by asking my students to pick the most difficult questions for me to use as examples for them.
This really helped them a lot

This is a beautiful story. Someone that understands. Some people are busy saying that's how it should be, and most of them were also failing. I did the same...I ensured that the examples and the questions in Their assessments are of similar magnitude. That's how they developed love for physics and further mathematics because they can now relate and solve questions... if they can't solve most of the questions they will just be discouraged and lose interest in the subject

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by musicwriter(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

Seems like you've not read Nigerian calculations text books. Have u read Indian text books? Can u see easy they are to follow?

There's a fine line between leading and misleading. Nigerian textbooks and the methods teachers use are failing. Can u say Nigerian students are smarter tha Indian students that it better explained?

How many Nigerian students can successfully pass waec mathematics without help?
Does that not tell you that your intentions are not working? Result is better than intentions.

The fact is that 90% of Nigerian students cannot pass waec mathematics on their won using this your methods. Teaching is different from lecturing... what u are describing is lecturing

Of course, I am aware there's a way to reach too!! There's a way to teach just as there's a way to learn.

I should have added in my previous post that if Nigerian teachers aren't able to lay the clues in such a way that students can easily learn, then ultimately they've failed on their duty too. Both teachers and students must equally fulfill their roles. But then, we already know that education is generally failing in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Vinnie2000(m): 1:16pm On Dec 24, 2023
Ravenna:

No, you're wrong.

It depends on the school, management and the teacher in question.

In 1996, I attended Sango Sec school, Agege Lagos State.
The math teacher was a stupid Olodo and he made our lives useless- It's everyday-Flogging.
I kukuma skip his class to avoid being Flogged by the teacher.

My parent later took me to SPED Int,l Sec School, Oyo state, that was where i experienced real Education.
The teachers don't Flog, they were so exceptional in teaching pupils with love and everything became clear and so simple.
I come dey Chop mathematics like Beske, Physics, Chemistry, Further math became chin-chin for me.

Finally finished SS3 in 2002 at the Iconic-School "Igbobi College" Yaba Lagos.

My WASSCE result became a solid foundation for many other Certs.
I'm now working with Dangote group.

The credits belongs to SPED intl School management, Oyo state.
For- reshaping and refocusing my life with Love.

My dad was a Special Ed, Lecturer tho, he never Flog me when i performed woefully at Sango Sec School.
He knew all I needed was a better School and The OYO state F.C.E Staff School was it.

You are someone who naturally HATES correction., πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

In dat class you complained of Excess Flogging, some students still came out with Excellent result.πŸ˜πŸ™‚

Some children are like you. They want to do as like and have their Way all the time, Forgetting they are NOT the teacher.

Once you shout at them or Flog, they start underperforming
While others that still Flogged are doing Wonders academically.πŸ˜’πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Don't pass such Attitudes to ur kids.
Discipline is needed in Life. 😌

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by femi4: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

The question is ... does it work? If your assessment will be true more than 50% of your students will fail. We understand the purpose, we are not dumb, what we are saying is the method doesn't work. If most of the students will find it difficult to solve does that make it a good method even when you have the best intentions? Have you seen Indian textbooks? Have u seen how easy it Is to follow and solve thier exercises? Can you say Nigerian students are smarter than Indian kids? Why is it that same Nigerians who don't do well in school do better when they Japa? Does that not tel you that that method is not working for them? We don't care about your intentions, we only care about the result of your methods and its not working for students in Nigeria. I was also a teacher...it's not learning...it's just confusing students
It works, those that seek knowledge finds it. The lazy ones go about complaining. The beauty about knowledge is your ability brainstorm and figure out stuff.

The brain is a powerful tool ....put it to use
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Uptheante(m): 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

hahaha,
I complained about this some months ago when my daughter came home with their school's question papers

the examples and teachings in the classroom were like:

1 + 3 – 4 = 0

3 + 9 Γ— 2 = 21

But what I saw on the question paper:

if 2a = 54, and 3b = 45,
what is the value of (a – b)

I was like, how on earth did they expect these kids to solve the question.

But this assignment is very simple naw.
First get the values of a & b then subtract to get your answer.

2a = 54 is solved by dividing both sides by a in order to get the value of a.
2a/2 = 54/2
a = 27.
Also, 3b = 45 is solved by dividing both sides by 3 to get the value of b.
ie. 3b/3 = 45/3
b = 15

Since a = 27 and b = 15, this implies that (a - b) = (27 - 15) = 12
Therefore, the final answer is 12

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by anu3: 1:51pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

Hmmm... I see
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 2:04pm On Dec 24, 2023
femi4:
It works, those that seek knowledge finds it. The lazy ones go about complaining. The beauty about knowledge is your ability brainstorm and figure out stuff.

The brain is a powerful tool ....put it to use

Where doest it work? With this method how many students can sit comfortably and pass waec? U are saying laziness. If 90% of them will be lazy, then it's not them, it's the teacher
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 2:06pm On Dec 24, 2023
musicwriter:

Of course, I am aware there's a way to reach too!! There's a way to teach just as there's a way to learn.

I should have added in my previous post that if Nigerian teachers aren't able to lay the clues in such a way that students can easily learn, then ultimately they've failed on their duty too. Both teachers and students must equally fulfill their roles. But then, we already know that education is generally failing in Nigeria.
Exactly! That means we need to rethink our methods. We copy British styles and are not working for us. I started understanding calculations when I started reading Indian books, very easy to understand. Even without a teacher when u read u can solve 80% of the exercises
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by femi4: 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

Where doest it work? With this method how many students can sit comfortably and pass waec? U are saying laziness. If 90% of them will be lazy, then it's not them, it's the teacher
Imagine, using waec as a yardstick.

I ll give you an example, As far back as jss 3, a student was taught change of subject of formula in mathematics. That's lack of basics. You can't build something on nothing

Now in SS3 physics exam, he couldn't find the resistance of a circuit from a given data of current and voltage.

Waec is use to test your knowledge on subject matter over the years, not in a particular class.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Imasurvivor: 3:07pm On Dec 24, 2023
It happens mostly in government schools.truth be told, the teachers don’t know how to solve them.
In my secondary school days,I couldn’t solve any problem in new general mathematics except exercise1.but when I started extra lessons,the maths teacher who was not a even a professional teacher ,just a secondary school leaver was able to teach and solve any maths problems and before long I became a maths guru, making an A in maths that I wouldn’t have ever ,ever ,ever gotten with my school maths teachers.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by BafanaBafana: 3:08pm On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

Person wey Sabi book no go post this kind thing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anti-Islam Policy: University Of Ibadan Professors Petition Management / "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag / 2006/2007 Waec Results Out !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.