Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? (22833 Views)

How Do Teachers Cope With Large Class Sizes? / Why Do Teachers Encourage Malpractice? / Learn Machine Learning Self Taught - Video Lectures And Textbook Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 8:27pm On Dec 23, 2023
Why do teachers teach the simple part especially of subjects that have calculations and leave the students to solve the hard part that is unrelated to the simple one they taught?

Same with text book writers. They will give an example with a simple question, but when it comes to excerices, they expect the students to solve harder ones that are not related to the examples they solved.

I don't see that as a way of making the students smart. If you will ask them to solve a problem show them how to solve a problem of same level of difficulty.

Learning should be simple but we want to compicate it.

The result is seen in our graduating students, most EnD up not being able to solve simple problems because they have been confused. If the method is not working, then change it!

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by slimjohn2k5: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2023
Even if they solve the exercise and give u the example as exercise u go still complain

121 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 10:22pm On Dec 23, 2023
If it's done that way many will pass their subjects/course without much study.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ItisWell22(f): 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2023
Used to be so annoying ehhh, but we always found a way around it.
Especially, Understanding Mathematics books 1-6 and its elder brother General Mathematics.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Peacfulmindset: 11:38pm On Dec 23, 2023
1MILLIONLiGHTS:

Many students do not have interests in solving questions that are more difficult than the examples given by the teachers.

I'm of the options that some textbook writers, do copy and paste works without truly understanding what they are publishing.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ReluctantAdult(m): 6:13am On Dec 24, 2023
For a very cheap fee per semester, our tutorial class guy demystified a lot of mathematical concepts for us back then. Bless him. The professors did the bare minimum, but their 'tough' exams usually turned out a piece of cake for us all who attended tutorial classes.

If we were to rely only on lectures we would've always thought we were dense and useless. Smh.

Today you can learn just about anything on YT and switch channels until you find someone who explains it better. Better days smiley

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by MikeTyson(m): 7:30am On Dec 24, 2023
Very lazy sect of education charlatans. They f√cking made me feel I'm not smart. Thank God for computers... Today I am one of the smartest dude from my secondary school that is killing it without yahoo

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 7:50am On Dec 24, 2023
slimjohn2k5:
Even if they solve the exercise and give u the example as exercise u go still complain

I was a teacher for 5 years. Was the best graduating student. I know what I'm talking about.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 7:51am On Dec 24, 2023
1MILLIONLiGHTS:

So it's better for many to fail?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 7:51am On Dec 24, 2023
ItisWell22:
Especially, Understanding Mathematics books 1-6 and it’s elder brother General Mathematics.
It's not fair

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by YourGFsnatcher: 7:53am On Dec 24, 2023
MikeTyson:
Very lazy sect of education charlatans. They f√cking made me feel I'm not smart. Thank God for computers... Today I am one of the smartest dude from my secondary school that is killing it without yahoo

Very lazy indeed. They hardly put in work to make things clear

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by MikeMicheal(m): 8:20am On Dec 24, 2023
To bring about the need for extra tutor.
More money for the teachers.

Jokes aside, it is done to encourage students to read wide, and make research.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ManirBK: 8:32am On Dec 24, 2023
nlfpmod your attention is needed here
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ManirBK: 8:32am On Dec 24, 2023
true talk
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by chaddy16: 9:19am On Dec 24, 2023
H
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by DamnnNiggarr: 9:20am On Dec 24, 2023
shocked

hahaha,
I complained about this some months ago when my daughter came home with their school's question papers

the examples and teachings in the classroom were like:

1 + 3 – 4 = 0

3 + 9 × 2 = 21

But what I saw on the question paper:

if 2a = 54, and 3b = 45,
what is the value of (a – b)

I was like, how on earth did they expect these kids to solve the question.

Uptheante:

But this assignment is very simple naw.
First get the values of a & b then subtract to get your answer.

2a = 54 is solved by dividing both sides by a in order to get the value of a.
2a/2 = 54/2
a = 27.
Also, 3b = 45 is solved by dividing both sides by 3 to get the value of b.
ie. 3b/3 = 45/3
b = 15

Since a = 27 and b = 15, this implies that (a - b) = (27 - 15) = 12
Therefore, the final answer is 12
It's simple you say?
yeah, it may be simple to you, but have you considered how the question would be for a primary 2 pupil?

So, you expect a primary 2 pupil to solve the question perfectly as you did, in the examination hall??

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by meum: 9:22am On Dec 24, 2023
If you understand the method used no question in that mathematics textbook is too difficult.

Our maths teacher back in the day simplified everything in such a way that those of us that had interest in the subject were able to grasp.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by o123456789(m): 9:25am On Dec 24, 2023
This is mostly a Nigerian thing, most teachers don't even know what they are doing... It was during Adams Oshiomole as governor of Edo state that made everything public. At that time Oshiomole got contractors to set questions for teachers using their own primary school text books, but a large number of them failed primary school questions. Most teachers and lecturers in Nigeria are padi-padi backdoor teachers. There was one lecturer in my department that will always come to class and brag all his time out... His favorite line was "I have lectured lecturers, that have lectured lecturers, that have lectured lecturers, that have lectured lecturers". And as for those text book authors, they only give out what they know, some even carry out copy and paste. Syllabus will be different from text books!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by MykellOni(m): 9:28am On Dec 24, 2023
Attendance: Present ✅️
Lol! That's the country we find ourselves in, and that's why you see when our people travel out for studies, they excel compared to when they study in here....
Nigeria is meant to frustrate you irrespective of you field.
Simple!
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by AbuTwins: 9:29am On Dec 24, 2023
From simple samples you should be able to solve complex ones!

Let's think up not otherwise!
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by teflonrozay(m): 9:29am On Dec 24, 2023
All of you normally think learning is linear,it isn't. The main aim of learning is ability for you to think..The teacher taught you a simple example and gave you a tricky one as assignment,so as for you to read wide and research.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by johannu(m): 9:29am On Dec 24, 2023
If you understand the simple ones, the 'hard ones' won't be difficult to solve.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by seunlayi(m): 9:39am On Dec 24, 2023
No substitute for knowledge

1 Like

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Realist777: 9:44am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:
Why do teachers teach the simple part, especially of subjects that have calculations and leave the students to solve the hard part that is unrelated to the simple one they taught?

Same with textbook writers. They will give an example with a simple question, but when it comes to exercises, they expect the students to solve harder ones that are not related to the examples they solved.

I don't see that as a way of making the students smart. If you will ask them to solve a problem show them how to solve a problem of the same level of difficulty.

Learning should be simple but we want to complicate it.

The result is seen in our graduating students, most end up not being able to solve simple problems because they have been confused. If the method is not working, then change it!
This was my major problem in secondary school then. Teachers kept giving us simple physics and mathematics questions as examples but the exercises are harder and sometimes unrelated to the steps used in the examples.
As a little gangster who recently got someone encouraging him to go to school, I was always bringing some of the difficult questions from the exercises to my physics and mathematics teachers respectfully without fears. Though it normally made the class boring whenever they were to use those hard questions as examples. Then I realized that using the difficult questions as example would make the class boring and students would hate the subjects.
I corrected this in the school where I served by asking my students to pick the most difficult questions for me to use as examples for them.
This really helped them a lot

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by ironheart(m): 9:45am On Dec 24, 2023
Electricity follows the path of least resistance
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Realist777: 9:46am On Dec 24, 2023
ItisWell22:
Especially, Understanding Mathematics books 1-6 and it’s elder brother General Mathematics.
Lol, it's really the elder brotherv
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by hakeem4(m): 9:51am On Dec 24, 2023
It helps make the students think outside the box and develop themselves

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Luu40: 9:55am On Dec 24, 2023
I believe it is done for the sole reason of making students use their initiatives in solving problems.

People who are able to solve complex exercises are mostly better problem solvers in real life.

Creativity and innovation are the things Nigerians lack to develop. To get them, one has to be very hardworking, and ready to go the extra-mile.

The little online Microsoft Excel classes and tutorials I've attended and viewed have me a much better person at work, because I'm the one who can do the undoable things most people can't. Your ability to positively transfer knowledge from one area to another is a skill to bank on.

Lack of these essential elements is what makes our universities dormant, and our students unprogressive.

An average Nigerian can pass an English language exam on paper with an average score. But our spoken English is devoid of grammar, and every other things that makes a language speaker correct.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Atarakpa: 9:57am On Dec 24, 2023
That's act of wickedness
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Luu40: 9:57am On Dec 24, 2023
teflonrozay:
All of you normally think learning is linear,it isn't. The main aim of learning is ability for you to think..The teacher taught you a simple example and gave you a tricky one as assignment,so as for you to read wide and research.
You've said it all.

Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by AviatorMoney(m): 9:59am On Dec 24, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:
Why do teachers teach the simple part especially of subjects that have calculations and leave the students to solve the hard part that is unrelated to the simple one they taught?

Same with text book writers. They will give an example with a simple question, but when it comes to excerices, they expect the students to solve harder ones that are not related to the examples they solved.

I don't see that as a way of making the students smart. If you will ask them to solve a problem show them how to solve a problem of same level of difficulty.

Learning should be simple but we want to compicate it.

The result is seen in our graduating students, most EnD up not being able to solve simple problems because they have been confused. If the method is not working, then change it!
They don't know it, simple.
Re: Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? by Benwallt(m): 10:11am On Dec 24, 2023
Some teachers are not trying while others are doing exceptionally well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anti-Islam Policy: University Of Ibadan Professors Petition Management / "Obtaining" Is Now A Culture In Unilag / Obafemi Owode LG Primary School In Abeokuta: Worst Primary School In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.