Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday (290 Views)

Athiests, Prove To Me That BIG BANG Happened. Is this Eyewitnesses photo real? / Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics / Let The Athiests Come In Here Lets Settle Ourselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49am On Dec 26, 2023
Athiests and Christmas: Why They Celebrate the Holiday
by Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell

Survey of atheist scientists asks why they go to church

LiveScience: “Why Atheists Celebrate Christmas”

If Jesus is the reason for the season, why do some atheists include church in their celebration of the “winter holiday”? Rice University sociologist Elaine Howard Ecklund surveyed science faculty from “elite U.S. research universities,” and found half of the 2,198 surveyed considered themselves religious. Her research has appeared in the journal Sociology of Religion and the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. Ecklund’s findings concerning atheist parents surprised her and should remind Christians and Christian churches of our responsibilities, especially at Christmas.

“Our research shows just how tightly linked religion and family are in U.S. society — so much so that even some of society's least religious people find religion to be important in their private lives,” said Ecklund.

Taking a closer look at a sample of atheists, Ecklund found 17 percent attend a religious service more than once a year. Religious institutions varied and included churches, mosques, and temples. Their reasons included the desire for a sense of community and the willingness to please a spouse. This finding is not surprising, as religious rituals divested of actual belief are not uncommon.

Many atheist scientists took their children to religious services so they could “make up their own minds about God and spirituality.”
Ecklund was surprised, however, to find many atheist scientists took their children to religious services so they could “make up their own minds about God and spirituality.” “We thought that these individuals might be less inclined to introduce their children to religious traditions, but we found the exact opposite to be true,” Ecklund said. “They want their children to have choices, and it is more consistent with their science identity to expose their children to all sources of knowledge.”

For instance, one scientist surveyed rejected his own Catholic upbringing but takes his daughter to a smorgasbord of religious services including Christian, Islamic, and Buddhist. He said, “I … don't indoctrinate her that she should believe in God. I don't indoctrinate her into not believing in God.”

Some people are unconvinced truth actually exists and accept the fallacy that mutually exclusive things—like various choices for who is the one true God—can be simultaneously true. And many such people wish to raise their children without “forcing religion” on them, as if true belief could be forced on anyone.

But real choices require real information—real answers. Exposing children to a religious menu does not offer them a fair choice. Unfortunately, as detailed in Ken Ham’s co-authored book Already Gone, many churches fail to offer any more answers than an atheist parent conducting a tour of local religious establishments. When children and adults enter our Christian churches, they need to hear the Bible’s answers to life’s hard questions about sin and suffering and death. They need to be shown science and history are consistent with God’s Word. They need to understand why they should trust the Creator God of the Bible. If we fail to provide these answers, then we fail in our mission to reach the world for Jesus Christ because we fail to tell people why He came and died.

What about Christmas? Many people visit church only at a holiday. Amid the festivities and musical programs of the Christmas season, shame on us as Christians and as churches if we fail to explain why Jesus Christ came into this world. Christ was born into real history, and we should present that history so children and adults—even holiday visitors—will see how, from the time of Adam’s rebellion 6,000 years ago until Jesus was born in Bethlehem, God was preparing the world to receive—and crucify—His Son to pay the price for our sin. If we only tell visitors about the sweet babe in the manger and don’t tell them why He came to die and how each of us needs the salvation He offers, then we miss the opportunity of a lifetime. We may in fact miss the opportunity to influence someone’s life for all eternity. As Charles Dickens wrote in A Christmas Carol, “No space of regret can make amends for one life’s opportunity misused.”

https://answersingenesis.org/world-religions/atheism/atheists-christmas-why-celebrate-holiday/

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:58am On Dec 26, 2023

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by watchwoski(m): 12:01pm On Dec 26, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

https://answersingenesis.org/world-religions/atheism/atheists-christmas-why-celebrate-holiday/
Well my advice for atheists is that they should repent .The end of the world is near but if some of them says they do not believe in God i can't blame them .Imagine going to church and still seeing some peoples behavior and things they talk about discourages some people from going to church .But go to the church to know God majorly .

1 Like

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:07pm On Dec 26, 2023
People love to celebrate whatever comes with food and gifts it's obedience they won't accept so whether you claim to be a believer or atheist as long as you're not obedient to those teaching you God's word there's no difference.

"Christmas is IDOLATRY" says Kumuyi your pastor! undecided
Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:45pm On Dec 26, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
People love to celebrate whatever comes with food and gifts it's obedience they won't accept so whether you claim to be a believer or atheist as long as you're not obedient to those teaching you God's word there's no difference.

"Christmas is IDOLATRY" says Kumuyi your pastor! undecided

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:38pm On Jan 04
Why the Nativity? | Docudrama Film | Dr. David Jeremiah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0aohQugT0
Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 4:39pm On Jan 04
Before Christianity was created, there was Christmas.

In the Julian Calendar used by the Roman Empire, the winter solstice occurred around December 25.

3 Likes

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by jaephoenix(m): 7:15pm On Jan 04
OLAADEGBU:

As usual, a potpourri of beautiful bullshit.
Christians have 2 major holidays, right? Do you know their histories? If you do, y'all wont celebrate them. Easter and Christmas are pagan celebrations and their origins started with sacrifices to their gods. The Romans came in and converted them to Christian holidays after Christianity became their state religion. Some Christian denominations even know this and refuse to celebrate them. Like JW etc. Do your research yourself. I don't want to post links cos I know you won't read them.
The OP said sciences and history are consistent with the Babble. How? Most babble events aren't captured in history, from Egyptian enslavement of Israel to mass resurrection during Jesus death. Also science refutes Creationism
Hogwash!

2 Likes

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by jaephoenix(m): 7:16pm On Jan 04
Maynman:

In the Julian Calendar used by the Roman Empire, the winter solstice occurred around December 25.
To remain a christian, one has to be excessively ignorant.

2 Likes

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 8:26pm On Jan 04
jaephoenix:

Religion thrives on ignorance.
Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:20am On Jan 05
jaephoenix:

As usual, a potpourri of beautiful bullshit.
Christians have 2 major holidays, right? Do you know their histories? If you do, y'all wont celebrate them. Easter and Christmas are pagan celebrations and their origins started with sacrifices to their gods. The Romans came in and converted them to Christian holidays after Christianity became their state religion. Some Christian denominations even know this and refuse to celebrate them. Like JW etc. Do your research yourself. I don't want to post links cos I know you won't read them.
The OP said sciences and history are consistent with the Babble. How? Most babble events aren't captured in history, from Egyptian enslavement of Israel to mass resurrection during Jesus death. Also science refutes Creationism
Hogwash!

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23am On Jan 05
Maynman:

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24am On Jan 05
jaephoenix:

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 2:33am On Jan 05
[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=127784027][/quote]
When does the bible tell you Jesus was born, herod time or Quirinius time?
https://bam.sites.uiowa.edu/faq/can-you-explain-problem-census-gospel-luke
Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 2:35am On Jan 05
[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=127784036][/quote]
Why are you contradicting yourself?
Which "Christmas" over 2000 years ago are you talking about, the one the bible didn't talk about?

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:51am On Jan 05
Maynman:

Why are you contradicting yourself?
Which "Christmas" over 2000 years ago are you talking about, the one the bible didn't talk about?

Your guess is as good as mine. wink

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 3:05am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Your guess is as good as mine. wink
I asked a question, you can't read?

What century did the "pagans" took Christmas which was already a widespread festival?

"Before Christianity was created, there was Christmas.

In the Julian Calendar used by the Roman Empire, the winter solstice occurred around December 25."

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11am On Jan 05
Maynman:

I asked a question, you can't read?

What century did the "pagans" took Christmas which was already a widespread festival?

"Before Christianity was created, there was Christmas.

In the Julian Calendar used by the Roman Empire, the winter solstice occurred around December 25."

When was the first Christmas?

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 10:28am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

When was the first Christmas?
When did the worship of Sol Invictus start?

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:25am On Jan 05
Maynman:

When did the worship of Sol Invictus start?

Who is talking about your satanic worship?

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 11:28am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Who is talking about your satanic worship?
You lack knowledge on your festival, yahweh worshipper 🤦🏾‍♂️

"Pagan Temple, Sol Invictus, built by Emperor Aurelian (AD 270-275) and Saturnalia was part of Sol Invictus worship. Since the ancients were primarily agrarian, they celebrated the Roman gods of agriculture during the Winter Solstice (Saturnalia) in December."

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 11:30am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Crosscheck the picture you are sending, not everyone is a believer and empty like you.

Can you show me just ONE early church father or any early church that celebrated Christmas before Constantine 😂

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:46am On Jan 05
Maynman:

You lack knowledge on your festival, yahweh worshipper 🤦🏾‍♂️

"Pagan Temple, Sol Invictus, built by Emperor Aurelian (AD 270-275) and Saturnalia was part of Sol Invictus worship. Since the ancients were primarily agrarian, they celebrated the Roman gods of agriculture during the Winter Solstice (Saturnalia) in December."

Speak for your dead gods not mine.

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 11:48am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Speak for your dead gods not mine.
Your creator is dead and gone, that's why you are worshipping him on another dead god festival day.

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:52am On Jan 05
Maynman:

Crosscheck the picture you are sending, not everyone is a believer and empty like you.

Can you show me just ONE early church father or any early church that celebrated Christmas before Constantine 😂

Why don’t you open a thread about your dead gods and see who else is interested instead of trolling on threads you don’t believe in?

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 11:54am On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Why don’t you open a thread about your dead gods and see who else is interested instead of trolling on threads you don’t believe in?
You are the one crying about atheists celebrating Christmas while lacking knowledge on the origin of Christmas.
Basing your life on a dead Jewish man that you read in a book and celebrating his UNKNOWN "birthday"😂
Do you know how crazy that is ? 😂😂

Next time don't mention "atheists" if you are not capable of them.

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:02pm On Jan 05
Maynman:

You are the one crying about atheists celebrating Christmas while lacking knowledge on the origin of Christmas.
Basing your life on a dead Jewish man that you read in a book and celebrating his UNKNOWN "birthday"😂
Do you know how crazy that is ? 😂😂

Next time don't mention "atheists" if you are not capable of them.

Are you an atheist? Address the OP if you think that you're an atheist.

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by Maynman: 1:05pm On Jan 05
OLAADEGBU:

Are you an atheist? Address the OP if you think that you're an atheist.
I already did.
Let the OP have knowledge on the festival he is worshipping his dead Jewish god or is it a man 😂

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:07pm On Jan 05
watchwoski:

Well my advice for atheists is that they should repent .The end of the world is near but if some of them says they do not believe in God i can't blame them .Imagine going to church and still seeing some peoples behavior and things they talk about discourages some people from going to church .But go to the church to know God majorly .

Good point.

Re: Athiests And Christmas: Why They Celebrate The Holiday by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:28pm On Apr 01
April Fool in Chief
A.F. BRANCO on April 1, 2024 at 5:00 am

Transgender Day Of Visibility

A.F. Branco Cartoon – Joe Biden is the biggest April Fool that ever set foot in the White House, choosing the day Christ rose from the dead to proclaim "Transgender Visibility Day."

White House Responds to Christian and GOP Backlash Over 'Transgender Day of Visibility' Proclamation — Does Not Apologize
By Cassandra MacDonald – March 31, 2024

THE WHITE HOUSE HAS RESPONDED TO THE BACKLASH FROM CHRISTIANS OVER THE “TRANSGENDER DAY OF VISIBILITY” PROCLAMATION ISSUED BY JOE BIDEN.
Biden declared March 31 to be a holiday honouring transgender people — but this March 31, of course, is Easter.

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 31, 2024, as Transgender Day of Visibility," the White House proclamation declared. "I call upon all Americans to join us in lifting up the lives and voices of transgender people throughout our Nation and to work toward eliminating violence and discrimination based on gender identity."

Read More…

(1) (Reply)

Opportunities. / Bringing People To Jesus / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.