Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? (544 Views)

PAN Nigeria Canvasses Intervention Funding For The Automobile Industry / See The 10 Most Ridiculously Expensive Cars In The Automobile Market / Why Your Car/automobile Business Needs A Professional Website? Find Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 5:57pm On Dec 26, 2023
According to https://www.nairaland.com/3635437/how-cars-mileage-odometer-rolled-back , it is certain that the mileage of cars are being rolled down.

Attached to this post is the image of an emulator the seller plugged to the instrument cluster of a Benz GLE 450 Coupe 2016 I bought in early October 2023, to reduce its mileage from over 120k miles to over 33k miles. When I started driving the car, it started giving errors such as service gear, power steering malfunctions, and many other ones.

If not for my experience in carrying out VIN checks and other necessary things, I would have tampered with its gear, power steering, etc. which would have made me grounded the car. But luckily for me, I discovered the emulator plugged into the car's instrument cluster; all the errors cleared after I removed the emulator and I was able to drive the car from Abuja to Lagos without any of such errors coming up till today.

What do you think about the rolling down of mileage? Can it be termed fraud or not in the automobile business?

Do you have any experience to share as regards it?
What do you think are the reasons sellers roll down the mileage of their cars?

Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by Crokky: 6:13pm On Dec 26, 2023
It is fraud, a lot of car dealers contact me to roll back the mileage but I turn it down, can't do that ,it should be termed a crime to roll back mileage. Normally u roll back mileage if u change a module and it ends up giving u a higher reading than the original but naija is something else
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2023
Crokky:
It is fraud, a lot of car dealers contact me to roll back the mileage but I turn it down, can't do that ,it should be termed a crime to roll back mileage. Normally u roll back mileage if u change a module and it ends up giving u a higher reading than the original but naija is something else

Thanks for your feedback and for not helping people to do it.

See what the rolling back of the benz gle 450 put me into and the bigger mess it wanted to put me into.
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2023
By standard, the lower the mileage of a car, the more expensive it would be.

So therefore, most car dealers and sellers rolling down mileage do that to deceitfully get more money for the car which is a true definition of FRAUD.
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2023
TRYGO:
INTRODUCTION
I have often heard people say, the digital meter on the instrument panel, can never be rolled back. The myth had been that its only the analogue digital mileages that could be adjusted.

These days, there are tools available, especially online in China, that can be used to carry out such a "crime".

In the developed world, rolling a car's mileage backwards different from it's present or true readings, is a terrible crime. It could an auto shop, millions of dollars in lawsuits, and a jail term also. But in the third world, there aren't regulations or laws, prohibiting such practices.

Dealerships, or individuals, could easily manipulate a car's true mileage readings just for the financial benefits that would accrue them.

WHY DO PEOPLE ROLL-BACK A CAR'S MILEAGE?

*Because of greed. It's a commonly held norm that used cars with lower mileages are more expensive than ones with higher mileages. That would be a discussion for some other time.

*Following an accident, a car's dashboard, including the speedometer could be damaged, requiring a replacement.

People, I mean anyone trying to sake a car somewhere, can hire the services of a repair shop to do such adjustments.
Carrying out such adjustments does not reveal the actual mileage of the car, but conceals it.

HOW ARE MILEAGES ROLLED BACK?

1. Removing the speedometer(higher mileage), and replacing it with a lesser mileage from a donor vehicle.

In this method, an accidental car, with a lower mileage is transplanted into the car with a higher mileage. This does not erase the mileage of the acceptor vehicle, but instead, conceals it. That's what SOME car dealers and individuals do.

For instance, if your car's mileage reads 300,437miles, and as a dealer, you'd want to sake that car to an unsuspecting client, what he only needs to do is to get a donor vehicle with a lower mileage of say, 57,122miles, and transfers it to the acceptor vehicle. The vehicle would now read, 57,122mikes, instead if the original 300,437miles.

Note, this technique is applicable to digital speedometer types, and not the analogue type.

2. Memory chip transplant. Its a smart technique, that requires complex skills in electronics.

This technique involves dismantling the speedometer unit completely as seen in the photos below. This exposes the electronic circuitry of the circuit board, where the memory chip is located.

The memory chip is what stores all the distances travelled through out the lifespan of the vehicle.

Special specialized equipment are required to perfect a job like this.
Applicable to digital speedometers.

3. Readjusting an analogue mileage display(odometer).
Analogue ones are a little bit difficult to adjust.
The mileages are removed and adjusted without using specialized equipment.

4. Jack up rear method. In this method, the rear wheels are jacked up, and properly positioned on a safety stands. The wheels are then turned in a reversed manner, to reset the odometer reading to a much lesser one.
This method is applicable only to analogue odometers.

5. Odometer switch method. A switch is incorporated into an odometer current feed circuit, offering a car owner to switch off and on the odometer readings, anytime he/she desires.

Let's take for instance, a driver wants to achieve say, an odometer reading of 79,000miles, and doesn't want to go through the methods explained above.

The driver, with aid of the odometer reading control switch, would toggle off the reading, while driving the car, but would switch it on back, to check if the mileage has exceeded, or not.

This is a very complex kind of manipulation, and a tedious exercise.
You'd have to be vast in some sort of electronics.

I hope this short piece helps you guys understand more how your car's mileage readings are adjusted.

PS: Throughout this week, I'd be writing extensively on mileage (odometers).
Expect more insights in the coming days.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by Angrygoat: 4:45am On Dec 27, 2023
Ode.[quote author=onlinediva post=127640820][/quote]
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2023
Angrygoat:
Ode.

Kpele
Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by Kingdemu: 10:15am On Dec 29, 2023
Has there been a time you bought a car and you were not cheated? Awon car expert wey dey buy lemons back to back cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Can This Be Called In The Automobile Business? by onlinediva: 11:11am On Dec 29, 2023
Kingdemu:
Has there been a time you bought a car and you were not cheated? Awon car expert wey dey buy lemons back to back cheesy

I was not cheated; I bought it cheap.

I knew about the rolled back mileage and every damn thing was confirmed perfect before I made payment. I eventually removed the emulator plugged to the instrument cluster which returned its mileage to original; the errors were coming because the emulator was shaking in there when one enters rough terrain.

Bad belle wey jealousy can never allow to prosper than wasting precious time on ameboism, the car is damn neat and super perfect. Aside that, I learn another thing which I as well freely shared here for others.

(1) (Reply)

Get A New Intelligent Key/sensor.help Needed / Please Recommend A Competent Mechanic At Dutse Abuja / Passat 2003 Engine Replacement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.