Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,475 members, 7,823,107 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

The African Woman, When?� - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The African Woman, When?� (28469 Views)

Wedding Styles For African Woman – Aso Ebi Styles 2021 / The African Stars Reality Tv Show / Latest Ankara Styles Ideas For African Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The African Woman, When?� by 1Sharon(f): 11:52pm On Dec 28, 2023
The problem is not that African women are wearing wigs, the issue is that they aren't wearing wigs in their natural texture.

Wigs wouldn't be so controversial otherwise.

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by 1Sharon(f): 11:55pm On Dec 28, 2023
YelloweWest:

I have alopecia.

Wearing wigs is a must for me

Lol I wonder why you have alopecia?

Alot of nigerian women don't have long hair.

If you don't know how to take care of your natural hair and believe your hair is "hard" or can't grow, you will treat it as such. It's a shame.

3 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by cardoctor(m): 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2023
Some people will jump from Third Mainland Bridge.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by olabrinks(f): 12:23am On Dec 29, 2023
I couldn’t agree more

5 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Maliqcious: 12:36am On Dec 29, 2023
Joblessness
Re: The African Woman, When?� by luminouz(m): 12:49am On Dec 29, 2023
I support this movement! I always have admired women with their natural hair. I detest wigs and would make a point to remove it from any woman I was with. I'm attracted to the natural. I can understand some girls with alopecia wanna hide their patches but then bald men have existed for millennial and we dealt with it.

Upside: More cultural identity and massive growth of local hair products designed specifically for black women.

Downside: Massive loss for local wig importers and their abroad counterparts but in time, the vacuum would be filled with local hair products.

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Uandu: 12:53am On Dec 29, 2023
How is what people are wearing on thier hair your damn business,is like you don't have work to do with your time

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by FireUpNow(m): 1:28am On Dec 29, 2023
U want start heavy war so be prepared

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by ahnie: 1:44am On Dec 29, 2023
I rock my natural hair like that,I hate putting on wigs, attachments or weavons.

I m low cuts sha

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Difrent: 2:31am On Dec 29, 2023
Yashita:
Dear MOD, let's push this to front page to get more sensitization.

Modified: I am a woman who has also lived in an Asian country for 2 years and got really worried why these race of women don't put unnatural hair on, but black women die for their hair in imitation.

And the reality is, these Asian countries saw the black woman's craziness and thirst for their own hair and decided to milk us out. I'm talking billions of dollars on a yearly basis.

We need to reorient ourselves, African woman!

Was surprised to know our women buy some of those artificial hair as much as 200k.
Least I saw that day was 100k..... 100k for hair?

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Trophy12: 3:03am On Dec 29, 2023
topelenege:
A welcome development.
Supported.

Sometimes I’ve not gotten home before I pull it off into my bag.

This coming January -March hot season, I’m rocking my neat cornrows to work. If dem like, make them send me back home.
why would they send u back home. 😂
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Mirallas: 5:03am On Dec 29, 2023
pocohantas:
Yawns. Start a no wig movement indeed.
Let's pretend every black woman has same hair type like foreigners that is lengthy and easy to manipulate. So asides waking by 4am everyday to jump danfo, she has to dedicate minutes to arrange her hair. Hair that would shrink and lose moisture in seconds.

Wig is a turn off indeed. From the same gender that would make money and start running after girls with eyelashes like batman's wings.
True, but I still think we as Africans need to start embracing our culture more and try to modernize it and rethinking the way we make our hair and hairstyles is one of the ways to do it especially since In my opinion, the western culture has been on a downward spiral for the better part of a century now
Re: The African Woman, When?� by TrainPark: 5:05am On Dec 29, 2023
Yashita:
Dear MOD, let's push this to front page to get more sensitization.

Modified: I am a woman who has also lived in an Asian country for 2 years and got really worried why these race of women don't put unnatural hair on, but black women die for their hair in imitation.

And the reality is, these Asian countries saw the black woman's craziness and thirst for their own hair and decided to milk us out. I'm talking billions of dollars on a yearly basis.

We need to reorient ourselves, African woman!

Bone straight
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Passionate1(m): 5:06am On Dec 29, 2023
You have my full support.

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Mirallas: 5:11am On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:
Wearing wigs has nothing to do with mental slavery. Not every woman is blessed with a great natural hair and seeking for alternative solutions isn't out of place.
Yeah I agree, but I still think we need to embrace our culture more especially if we want to hasten economic growth. It is actually mental slavery not just to the ladies but also the guys that admire it. Am not saying it is bad but these things contribute to the way we view the world and affect our decision subconsciously. Changing it or making people aware of it might change the society(I think it will do) in more positive ways than we think. For example, it might be a more effective way of improving the country than trying to vote in the right leader in an election
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Mirallas: 5:21am On Dec 29, 2023
Rukevwe999:
It's idealist but may not be easy to achieve. The idea behind wig wearing among Nigerian women has a lot to do with the mainstream standard of beauty in our society and how we see ourselves, which stems from our colonial upbringing. Some of our current beauty standards are influenced by the West and the media. Subconsciously we look up to the west when it comes to matters like this, especially appearance. To many anything African equates backwardness.
Our culture plays a big role in this too. Wigs and some of these foreign hairstyles are expensive, and having the latest wig or bone-straight is a sign of affluence for some women.
Again, Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation - why do you think many of them prefer "fair" women with straight hair flowing below their shoulders? In order to attract an ideal man some women go far as bleaching their skin, putting on wigs and fake lashes to imitate western beauty.
I agree with you 100%. It is going to be Difficult to effect such change because it has been programmed into the subconscious. Also it will probably take years to change and maybe economic growth similar to the west before we realise. I don't think it is bad by itself just the indirect consequences it has on our economy, the way we think and what we prioritise in life as a people

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 5:22am On Dec 29, 2023
KaptainRobin:
How about you start a mind your business movement, where people are allowed to buy and wear what they want as long as it does not affect you. wink

But are you minding your business by making the comment u made? How does what she wants to do affect you?

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 5:23am On Dec 29, 2023
Rukevwe999:
It's idealist but may not be easy to achieve. The idea behind wig wearing among Nigerian women has a lot to do with the mainstream standard of beauty in our society and how we see ourselves, which stems from our colonial upbringing. Some of our current beauty standards are influenced by the West and the media. Subconsciously we look up to the west when it comes to matters like this, especially appearance. To many anything African equates backwardness.
Our culture plays a big role in this too. Wigs and some of these foreign hairstyles are expensive, and having the latest wig or bone-straight is a sign of affluence for some women.
Again, Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation - why do you think many of them prefer "fair" women with straight hair flowing below their shoulders? In order to attract an ideal man some women go far as bleaching their skin, putting on wigs and fake lashes to imitate western beauty.

How did u come to the conclusion that " Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation"?.

What research did you do that provea that nigerian men prefer light skinned ladies?

Did British colonialista force wigs weavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by otokx(m): 5:29am On Dec 29, 2023
Interesting
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Mirallas: 5:38am On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

How did u come to the conclusion that " Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation"?.

What research did you do that provea that nigerian men prefer light skinned ladies?

Did British colonialista force wigs weavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?
There is no way the ladies are wearing the wig if the guys don't find it attractive. It is simple demand and supply, how they find it attractive is what I am concerned, you can like whatever you want so long as you understand the pros and willing to bear the cons. The problem is that I don't think we as a civilisation understand the pros and cons of lifestyle choice and also the the real motivations behind it

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 5:48am On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:
Wearing wigs has nothing to do with mental slavery. Not every woman is blessed with a great natural hair and seeking for alternative solutions isn't out of place.

You are the one that said "not every woman".

What is the proportion of those who don't have problems with their hair?

The ones that don't have problems with their natural hair, what is the motivation?

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by dasnan(m): 5:49am On Dec 29, 2023
I'm also an advocate that supports natural beauty in women. Pls start ur movement and support will roll in from like-minds.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 5:55am On Dec 29, 2023
Mirallas:

There is no way the ladies are wearing the wig if the guys don't find it attractive. It is simple demand and supply, how they find it attractive is what I am concerned, you can like whatever you want so long as you understand the pros and willing to bear the cons. The problem is that I don't think we as a civilisation understand the pros and cons of lifestyle choice and also the the real motivations behind it

How does that answer the questions
I asked?

1.How did u come to the conclusion that " Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation"?.

2.What research did you do that provea that nigerian men prefer light skinned ladies?

3. Did British colonialist force wigs, weavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Ozap: 5:56am On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:

Re: The African Woman, When?� by ijobaoke: 6:08am On Dec 29, 2023
Op carry on joor .
Na some1 like u start NO BRA MOVEMENT grin
Yashita:
African/Nigerian women love hair attachments and wigs. I just don’t like putting on my head anything that is not growing naturally from my head.

These Asian women that we see their hair as the world’s standard of beauty carry their natural hair year in year out all through the seasons (winter/summer/spring/fall) taking care of their hairs with their locally made products and never feeling the need to wear wigs to “protect” their hairs during harsh seasons.

In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a movement/NGO to help African women emancipate themselves from mental slavery. Our natural Afro hair should be our standard of beauty.

We can research and locally produce hair care products and accessories. Grants would be given to researchers/manufacturers of Afro hair products.

Natural Afro hair stylists will be rewarded from time to time.

Schools and higher institutions will be visited often time to sensitise people/girls/women to embrace their Afro hair and be stylish with it.

There’d be a TV show/program where natural hair carriers would creatively style their hairs and earn like BBN, etc.

When would this start? cry
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Emaprince: 6:09am On Dec 29, 2023
topelenege:
A welcome development.
Supported.

Sometimes I’ve not gotten home before I pull it off into my bag.

This coming January -March hot season, I’m rocking my neat cornrows to work. If dem like, make them send me back home.
Cornrows makes women look young. Natural, innocent and sweet.

You girls are just neck deep in your sufferings of insecurities. If not, you will realise that NO man is making advances at you because of that wig. Na wetin dey your body men dey look. Women use wigs to show off to their fellow women. Smh

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by sheriffindy(m): 6:11am On Dec 29, 2023
Caught catarrh from a wig recently

Don't ask me how oo!!
Re: The African Woman, When?� by IamMobisola(f): 6:15am On Dec 29, 2023
Yashita:
African/Nigerian women love hair attachments and wigs. I just don’t like putting on my head anything that is not growing naturally from my head.

These Asian women that we see their hair as the world’s standard of beauty carry their natural hair year in year out all through the seasons (winter/summer/spring/fall) taking care of their hairs with their locally made products and never feeling the need to wear wigs to “protect” their hairs during harsh seasons.

In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a movement/NGO to help African women emancipate themselves from mental slavery. Our natural Afro hair should be our standard of beauty.

We can research and locally produce hair care products and accessories. Grants would be given to researchers/manufacturers of Afro hair products.

Natural Afro hair stylists will be rewarded from time to time.

Schools and higher institutions will be visited often time to sensitise people/girls/women to embrace their Afro hair and be stylish with it.

There’d be a TV show/program where natural hair carriers would creatively style their hairs and earn like BBN, etc.

When would this start? cry
If you actually had better things to do with your life that would yield growth and productivity, this wouldn't even be on your list of problems.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Emaprince: 6:18am On Dec 29, 2023
OdefaGirl:
Start your movement in peace, while me and my Gees wear our wigs in peace.
It's not like we are disturbing anyone with it.
It still didn't mean we don't plait either and moreover underneath our wigs are our all-back weaves.
Some don't like dying their hairs and not too comfortable with their brownish hairs, some don't even have free time to sit and plait their preferred hairs, most feel it doesn't really suit them. Some can't even comb their hairs often cz of pain.

Please, in this life; Do yours, let us do ours.
So if you can't take good care of your natural hairs, it means when you get home and remove the wig, you will surely be a big turn off to your hubby? That's nasty.

So you only want to go out with a well made wig to appear neat to outsiders while the man at home gets the unkempt version of yourself. Smh

This is one of the big turn off in many women that wears wig. Once they are home and take off the wig, you will be seeing a hair that is not well combed or an all back that is not neat, making her look unkempt. Instantly the man gets turned off.

4 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 6:37am On Dec 29, 2023
Funny thread. I applaud your vision but I doubt that it will take off.

You see, the main reason why women wear wigs is the ease and comfort. It is also cheaper in the long run.

Natural hair, which I have at the moment, is extremely difficult to manage, no matter the products used. Some of these prodcuts are very expensive. The time spent every morning trying to beat it into shape to align with your outfit and the occasion, is not for the faint-hearted. You will most definitely be visiting the salon often which again is an absolute waste of time and money.

Someone mentioned that natural hair shrinks. That is putting it mildly. Not only does it shrink to less than a third of its length, it becomes extremly hard requiring you to apply heat and more products just to straighten it out section by section. This alone can take hours.

If you are graying out, then be ready to apply dyes just to look good. And talking about looking good, not all women look good in their natural hair. In truth, most look unprofessional because again, it is extremely difficult to whip into shape particularly if you have short natural hair or if your long natural hair has shrunk and its texture is rough.

You talk about the whites/chinese looking after their hair to get that sleek, beautiful look. But you forget that most of them have tools/gadgets all of which requires electricity. You are a Nigerian, is this feasible? Are these tools affordable?

I can go on and on but I simply don't have the time. Your vision is noble but like i said earlier, it won't catch on. A lot of factors must be considered beyond creating new high-end local products and competitions for best hair. Good luck

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Rukevwe999(m): 6:49am On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

Did British colonialista force wigs w :-Xpeavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?
All these has a lotQql to do with how we see ourselves as a people. The white men don't need to force wigs on our women's head, it's a mere influence of an higher culture over a seemingly lower one. To many blacks, even outside, being light skinned in complexion, acting white and looking white is a sign of high status or sophistication. In colonial times people who were able measure up to the white men's standard of life easily got favours from them.
And yes, many Nigerian guys are nuts for foreign women. They will ditch their girlfriends for a Caucasian woman with blue eyes and blonde hair if they had the chance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Ways You Can Prevent Razor Bumps / Meet Egunyinka Oluwatosin, Nigeria's Rep At The Miss Globe World Finals 2022 / Comfort Iraya Emerges Most Beautiful Girl In Abuja 2021 (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.