Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,881 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? (2345 Views)

Lagos Government Acquires Innoson CNG Buses (Video) / Innoson Produces CNG Vehicles, Asks Nigerians To Say Bye To Petrol / Innoson Displays More CNG And LNG Powered Vehicles(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:42am On Dec 31, 2023
CNG is here to stay

NISSAN Civilian 4.5l straight six with air-conditioning .

70 percent savings

Range 300km on both tanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLvjHarYGdQ?si=xdfkARuoEOAZUEFu

Now costs ₦2k CNG Lagos to Ibadan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 11:17am On Dec 31, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Leaks are common in contraptions like this, but not explosions from refill.
Some private vehicle fixtures are worse than this.......
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by aieromon(m): 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2023
searchng4love:

You spent 600,000 and above to save 1.2m in ten months

Zero import duty
Zero VAT
Installation costs will crash and attract more investors.

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by kernniejay(m): 12:19pm On Dec 31, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Most Nigerians do not calculate .

My Hyundai ix35 costs 35k per week and 140k per month fuel.

I have had the car since 2012 still under 110k km

What is more expensive? Using petrol or converting to CNG ?

Is this not the Hyundai ix35 that you drove to and fro Akure on CNG? If it is, how come it has not clocked up to 110km?
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by aieromon(m): 1:47pm On Dec 31, 2023
kernniejay:

Is this not the Hyundai ix35 that you drove to and fro Akure on CNG? If it is, how come it has not clocked up to 110km?

110,000km.

It was Hyundai i10 that was driven from Lagos to Akure.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 3:09pm On Dec 31, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Most Nigerians do not calculate .

My Hyundai ix35 costs 35k per week and 140k per month fuel.

In 10months this becomes ₦1.4m naira.

I installed an 85L CNG tank and kit.

Car now averages ₦4100 weekly and ₦16-20k monthly .

In 10months ₦200,000.

I have saved ₦1,200,000 in ten months.

I have had the car since 2012 still under 110k km

What is more expensive? Using petrol or converting to CNG ?

My Honda Civic uses less than 30k monthly. I see no economic advantage of pouring over 800k down the drain in converting my car....talk less of the additional weight those cylinders bring or the likelihood of mishap and the lost of valuable luggage space.... Peugeot 206 even better same for i10.

As a trained economist it doesn't make sense for small private vehicles and for safety it doesn't improve any safety issues that you pack your family in one..... knowing the extent of carelessness of Nigerian kazeems both online and offline ones.

Even dangote trucks carefully install the explosive ordinances outside the cabin sometimes enclosed in steel covers... For them it's justified due to the long distances they have to cover ....

Hybrid vehicles are also far safer.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 3:14pm On Dec 31, 2023
aieromon:

Zero import duty
Zero VAT

If safety procedures are adhered to. But see even Abuja where nipco has been for years the number of converted cars are very negligible....relative to petrol vehicles
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:40pm On Dec 31, 2023
kernniejay:

I own 2 Hyundai's with CNG.

Ix35 and I10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHKcgvs2HQ?si=v1rn5IXi7mdc_O8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZDc49Ozbc?si=JE8yOWIy1SkOgaPY

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:41pm On Dec 31, 2023
aieromon:

Zero import duty
Zero VAT

You have to pass through this office .

“The minister further directed that all applications for Import and Customs Duty exemption in relation to CNG equipment shall require a letter of support from the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on Energy.”

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:44pm On Dec 31, 2023
searchng4love:

My Honda Civic uses less than 30k monthly. I see no economic advantage of pouring over 800k down the drain in converting my car....talk less of the additional weight those cylinders bring or the likelihood of mishap and the lost of valuable luggage space.... Peugeot 206 even better same for i10.

As a trained economist it doesn't make sense for small private vehicles and for safety it doesn't improve any safety issues that you pack your family in one..... knowing the extent of carelessness of Nigerian kazeems both online and offline ones.

Even dangote trucks carefully install the explosive ordinances outside the cabin sometimes enclosed in steel covers... For them it's justified due to the long distances they have to cover ....

Hybrid vehicles are also far safer.

You so not need CNG .

People who fillip 70L tanks every 2 days need CNG , and I am here for them.

Meanwhile I did ibafo ogun state to okada edo State (270km) with this costing me ₦2,7000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWrSvCC3Po4?si=jXLCzu3EhkwGL4ni

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:45pm On Dec 31, 2023
searchng4love:

If safety procedures are adhered to. But see even Abuja where nipco has been for years the number of converted cars are very negligible ....relative to petrol vehicles

The numbers will rise, we currently do 2 every day. With time we will be doing 20 units daily

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by aieromon(m): 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2023
searchng4love:

If safety procedures are adhered to. But see even Abuja where nipco has been for years the number of converted cars are very negligible....relative to petrol vehicles

2nd station in Abuja commenced operations over the weekend.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/12/nipco-expands-auto-cng-to-abuja/

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 11:41pm On Dec 31, 2023
aieromon:

2nd station in Abuja commenced operations over the weekend.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/12/nipco-expands-auto-cng-to-abuja/

With the billions of our yams nipco collected as take off grant from CBN they should do better... Not impressed. That funds should have been given to bovas instead
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by ishayaauta(m): 11:42pm On Dec 31, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

₦2,7000.

Abeg no dey confuse my confusion, you mean ₦27k Abi ₦2.7k abeg?

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by arcbaba: 7:41am On Jan 01
I am so interested in CNG but as a site man I am scared of losing precious boot space which I use for tools and work pieces. I own two cars A Toyota corolla 2005 the only space I will be willing to give up is the spare tire space if there is a tank that can fit exactly like the spare tire. The other is a totyota sienna 2006 I can't bear the though of not been able to collapse my rear seat it defeats the purpose of buying the car. So I need advice!
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 9:58am On Jan 01
arcbaba:
I am so interested in CNG but as a site man I am scared of losing precious boot space which I use for tools and work pieces. I own two cars A Toyota corolla 2005 the only space I will be willing to give up is the spare tire space if there is a tank that can fit exactly like the spare tire. The other is a totyota sienna 2006 I can't bear the though of not been able to collapse my rear seat it defeats the purpose of buying the car. So I need advice!
LPG for the Corolla
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26pm On Jan 01
ishayaauta:

Abeg no dey confuse my confusion, you mean ₦27k Abi ₦2.7k abeg?

Naira Two thousand seven hundred.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:29pm On Jan 01
arcbaba:

Look at the boot space available in this 2009, it will be almost same in the 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlNwOdhnLM?si=t2rE7YBrs-5oZ4ie

Also look at the position of the cylinder in this 2012, you will not loose valuable bed space if you employ this method.

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 3:10pm On Jan 01
GAZZUZZ:

Look at the boot space available in this 2009, it will be almost same in the 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlNwOdhnLM?si=t2rE7YBrs-5oZ4ie

Also look at the position of the cylinder in this 2012, you will not loose valuable bed space if you employ this method.
I talk am. Nigerian kazeems and recklessness.... How on earth would you advocate such reckless installation

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:20pm On Jan 01
searchng4love:

I talk am. Nigerian kazeems and recklessness....

Yet to install a cover.

Which is safer this or this? cheesy

NOTE that a professional did the bus and a kazeem did the sienna .

1 Like

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:22pm On Jan 01
The hypocrisy in the whole matter is that the chief complainer on the safety of cng uses this to cook and considers it safe.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:16pm On Jan 01
GAZZUZZ:
The hypocrisy in the whole matter is that the chief complainer on the safety of cng uses this to cook and considers it safe.

It is heresy to compare an ice engine on CNG with stoves in the house.

Traveling with a bomb in your car wedged between seats as advocated by you is callous and shows utter disregard for the safety of human lives just to make profits.

The installers of CNG must be made to have insurances that would pay compensation for any mishaps due to their negligence. Hence we can weed the chaff from the seeds.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:28pm On Jan 01
In addition car owners should ensure they get the CNG cylinder test certificate from the retrofitter once he's installed the CNG kit on your car.

The certificate acts as proof of installing an approved CNG cylinder in your car.

Don't do padi padi.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:29pm On Jan 01
Regular Leak Test of the CNG Cylinder
A car owner must regularly check the CNG fuel cylinder for leakage. Improper fitting of the CNG kit or overfilling the fuel cylinder often leads to gas leakage resulting in a fire and bursting of the cylinder. To avoid such a situation, the gas cylinder should be regularly tested for any signs of leakage and should be immediately taken to an authorized service centre in case a leakage is detected.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:33pm On Jan 01
No Smoking Inside the Car
The owner of a CNG car should not smoke inside his car. This is because smoking can lead to a fire in the CNG car which can have devastating consequences.

@gazzuzz you SHOULD NOT install CNG cylinders inside the car.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:34pm On Jan 01
Refill CNG Up to Two-Third of Cylinder Capacity
During the summer months, a CNG cylinder should not be refilled more than two-thirds of its total capacity. This is because the temperatures are soaring high in summers and thus, a full fuel tank can be dangerous.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 8:35pm On Jan 01
Try to Park Vehicles in Shade or Covered Area
A CNG car owner should always try to park his/her vehicle in a covered or shaded area, especially in the daytime. This is important to avoid direct exposure of the car to the sun which can easily heat the car making it prone to fire.
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:53pm On Jan 01
searchng4love:
No Smoking Inside the Car
The owner of a CNG car should not smoke inside his car. This is because smoking can lead to a fire in the CNG car which can have devastating consequences.

@gazzuzz you SHOULD NOT install CNG cylinders inside the car.

There is a device called vent. It takes leaking gas out of the car.

There are no rules or laws that state the cylinder is safer in the back of a station wagon and not safe beside the driver.

And you can smoke in a Hilux if the CNG tank is in the bed grin

Meanwhile the professionals built this not me.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6faFn4X/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by searchng4love: 10:50pm On Jan 01
Still wrong
Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:47am On Jan 02
searchng4love:
Still wrong

There is a thin line between emotions and practicality.

Now let's look at it this way.

A minivan, wagon, and SUV will technically share same compartment (same airspace) with the occupants of the vehicle if a CNG tank is installed ..

God forbid there is a fire or explosion a tank In front with the driver and tank in the rear with passengers will.make little or no difference, every body will collect .

Now lets look at it from the safety angle.

A tank in the middle of the vehicle is shielded from front rear or side impact , even in the case of a roll over tank is still relaxed without issues.

Nigerians have been dealing with high pressure containers before you were born. The common oxygen tank which is used and abused by almost every panelbeter in Nigeria holds pressures in excess of 250bars (3,625psi) it sits under the sun , they carry it on bikes to go refill, they are almost all expired cylinders based on very old manufacturing dates, they never carry certificates etc. But in all of this I have not seen 5mm thick steel oxygen tank explode.

The tank in the sienna will be covered with upholstery you will not even know it is there. , the cabin vent will take out any possible leaks, the electro valve will shut off gas supply from the tank if there is a sudden Demand for gas not initiated by the ecu, it will signify an error on the CNG display unit alerting the driver who can safely park the car and manually turn of the gas valve and use petrol pending when he can get to a maintenance shop.

CNG is here to stay, technology has made it safer to use.

Waiting for the next complain or negative from you.

2 Likes

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:54am On Jan 02
searchng4love:
Try to Park Vehicles in Shade or Covered Area
A CNG car owner should always try to park his/her vehicle in a covered or shaded area, especially in the daytime. This is important to avoid direct exposure of the car to the sun which can easily heat the car making it prone to fire.

Incorrect.

The tanks are designed to hold 30mpa ' 300bars , 4,351psi . The tanks are filled at 250bar and rest at 210bar giving it 90bars of tolerance from heat and expansion .

Park where you like, as you like, tank will not explode .

Modified. When testing tanks are expected to meet burst pressures of up to 500bars .

2 Likes

Re: Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:59am On Jan 02
searchng4love:
Regular Leak Test of the CNG Cylinder
A car owner must regularly check the CNG fuel cylinder for leakage. Improper fitting of the CNG kit or overfilling the fuel cylinder often leads to gas leakage resulting in a fire and bursting of the cylinder. To avoid such a situation, the gas cylinder should be regularly tested for any signs of leakage and should be immediately taken to an authorized service centre in case a leakage is detected.

This is normal.

CNG is less likely to auto-ignite on hot surfaces, since it has a high auto-ignition temperature (540 degrees centigrade) and a narrow range (5%-15%) of in flammability. It means that if CNG concentration in the air is below 5% or above 15%, it will not burn.

Technically you can light a cigarette in vehicle with a shared tank with a leaking valve , open the windows and absolutely NOTHING will happen.

CNG should not be confused with LPG (cooking gas)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nominations of Car Talk Section Poster Of The Year, 2012. / P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? / All You Need To Know About The Notorious Murano CVT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.