Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,661 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 (13186 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 11:04am On Dec 28, 2023
After trying medicine 3 times. I had to settle for a science course. I'm currently done with my first degree, NYSC and doing a little job by the side.

The thing is, i want to go back to medical school. I have a burning desire to study medicine, i dream about it everyday and would be rather unfulfilled if i don't study medicine.

The questions i have are:

1. I intend to start my study in my late 20s. Hopefully 28,29,or at 30years old.

2. What are the disadvantages of studying medicine and graduating in my late 30s.?

3. How is employment at that age?

What are the difficulties i should expect?

Be brutally honest. Thanks

cc: Lagusta bcomputer101

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by ayodayg(m): 11:32am On Dec 28, 2023
No be only medical doctor dey make am for this life.
Build yourself in the field you've found yourself.
Don't stop till you get PhD in that field.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by spencekat(m): 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2023
No disadvantage (s)

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Ikennaford: 12:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
No disadvantage ,I encourage you to continue ,,dropped out of med surg that year ,why,the profession looks weak to a real niqqa like me,my dad disowned me later accepted me
back as a black shheep ,hahahaha ,always love fast lane and I thank God it worked for me ,go for it

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Uchenna10(m): 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2023
Ikennaford:
No disadvantage ,I encourage you to continue ,,dropped out of med surg that year ,why,the profession looks weak to a real niqqa like me,my dad disowned me later accepted me
back as a black shheep ,hahahaha ,always love fast lane and I thank God it worked for me ,go for it

Lol... Why did u accept it in the first place?.....
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Surface2AirToto(m): 1:38pm On Dec 28, 2023
The one's in your head

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by NwaNimo1(m): 1:38pm On Dec 28, 2023
In Nigeria the course could take up to 10 years to complete.....

18 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by wunmi590(m): 1:38pm On Dec 28, 2023

There are no disadvantages, the only disadvantages is studying in Nigeria, because of their usual prolonged strike, which might prolong your years of study, due to your age...

If you have money, you can go to a private university to study it, so whatever you want to do, practice for like 2years in Nigeria and jakpa out immediately...

17 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by atobs4real(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
For me, no disadvantage.
Even the federal government has increased doctors retirement age.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by whippersnapper(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
every Nigerian is a potential criminal, waiting for an opportunity to cheat,dupe, steal and defraud anyone

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by drimzsmoke(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:
After trying medicine 3 times. I had to settle for a science course. I'm currently done with my first degree, NYSC and doing a little job by the side.

The thing is, i want to go back to medical school. I have a burning desire to study medicine, i dream about it everyday and would be rather unfulfilled if i don't study medicine.

1. I intend to start my study in my late 20s. Hopefully 28,29,or at 30years old.

2. What are the disadvantages of studying medicine and graduating in my late 30s.?

1. No known disadvantage whatsoever
2. Lolz, in Nigeria of today, doctors don't find job, na job go dey rush you at 50. The jobs go won kill you sef if you're not careful
3. Expect ASUU strike and a little bit of depression here and there. That's all!!!

9 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by abba190: 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
grin grin op since when i reach 29 i hv become depressed, thinking that im old nd not gonna make it, nd u are thinking about going to study medicine chaii

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Haydens: 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2023
May Nigeria factor (strike, lack of practical equipment, lack of good lecturer, wicked lecturer e.t.c) never elongate the person's stay in the bleeped up Nigeria universities we have.
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by OgunleyeA1: 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2023
Here to learn

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by tofolo(m): 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

Go for it please this is a course that will always sell.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by CoronaVirusPro: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2023
You will succeed in anything you have passion for! Age is never a constraint when passion is present.

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2023
Pursue your mission go for what you like no disadvantage
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by latonione: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2023
ayodayg:
No be only medical doctor dey make am for this life.
Build yourself in the field you've found yourself.
Don't stop till you get PhD in that field.

and you become a Doctor

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by BarrElChapo(m): 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2023
None
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by 2mch(m): 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2023
No disadvantage. Time will go by fast before you know it. If you don’t study it, you may regret it.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Elxandre(m): 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2023
If you have a sponsor or you can sponsor yourself, go ahead.
I think it's even common for people to have other degrees before medicine abroad (I might be wrong).
Be sure you want to spend the next 6 years or so reading till you're almost 40 though.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by 2mch(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2023
whippersnapper:
every Nigerian is a potential criminal, waiting for an opportunity to cheat,dupe, steal and defraud anyone
Deal with your mental illness. Nigerians are great people.

8 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by DrAda(f): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2023
I sincerely can't think of any disadvantage. We have a good number of mothers and their daughters/sons studying medicine at the same time and in the same class. It's all in your mind.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Ekitibiased(m): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2023
Plenty to share on this.....first hand experience

Space booked, will update it

Reality and expectations....must be matched
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by harsysky(m): 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2023

I'm gonna be honest with you.

The only problem about studying medicine at that age is that people whom you will treat will ask of your age and when you are past 50 yrs, they would ask for a doctor who is 35 yrs or below. Believe this at your own peril

Have you taken your time to know why you were failing it? Passion is powerful! Why do you even want to study medicine? The money? If it is the money then it is not passion. When a man is diligent in his works, he will stand before kings. That diligence is passion. People who have excelled so much in their given fields do so cos they were diligent.

Please try to know what is pushing you before you enter and discover you actually have no passion about medicine

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by SALLYBERRY01(m): 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2023
i dont think there is none
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by MrDoGood(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2023
It's better to be late than never.

Do your thing mate.

Your life is your business, run it the way it pleases you.

We all have different grace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by BigDawsNet: 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2023
Go ahead if you hav the strength...

During your medical intern.. a young DR may send you on an errand and you may feel like they are young to be ur lil brother.. but they are actually your superior... you will face many orders from young doctors before you move to Residency

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Digital Marketing Or Data Analysis, Which Part Should I Choose? / Unpaid Salaries: Hope Dims For Workers / How Do People Survive After Losing Their Jobs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.