Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 (13220 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by udeh3(m): 2:33pm On Dec 28, 2023
The only disadvantage is YOU. If you get discourage, then, the dream dies...

Your dreams are achievable, if you believe

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Deogratiasfx: 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:
After trying medicine 3 times. I had to settle for a science course. I'm currently done with my first degree, NYSC and doing a little job by the side.

The thing is, i want to go back to medical school. I have a burning desire to study medicine, i dream about it everyday and would be rather unfulfilled if i don't study medicine.

The questions i have are:

1. I intend to start my study in my late 20s. Hopefully 28,29,or at 30years old.

2. What are the disadvantages of studying medicine and graduating in my late 30s.?

3. How is employment at that age?

What are the difficulties i should expect?

Be brutally honest. Thanks

cc: Lagusta bcomputer101

Are u sure it is passion that is driving u?
Check well, it is passion, you won't even mention no 3; infact non of ur questions even qualify to stop u if at all it is ur dream.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by lampido22: 2:42pm On Dec 28, 2023
this one is talking about 29 while I entered nursing at 34 now I'm in final year

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by godwon01(m): 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2023
No disadvantages at all . Some people wants to study medicine at 60 yrs . Go ahead please.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Neddyogu(m): 2:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
No disadvantage at all. If it's ur dream, live it!
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Shikena(m): 2:56pm On Dec 28, 2023
GO FOR IT!

Never ever listen to any age-based opinion, ever! What you failed to do at 30 because of age, another person will do at 50 and find fulfilment.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by dirolad(m): 2:59pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:
After trying medicine 3 times. I had to settle for a science course. I'm currently done with my first degree, NYSC and doing a little job by the side.

The thing is, i want to go back to medical school. I have a burning desire to study medicine, i dream about it everyday and would be rather unfulfilled if i don't study medicine.

1. I intend to start my study in my late 20s. Hopefully 28,29,or at 30years old.

2. What are the disadvantages of studying medicine and graduating in my late 30s.?

Do it if that's your passion, life is not sweet when you live unfulfilled in it. Doctor job opportunities doesn't have age brackets or age requirement. Difficulty you should expect is assimilation at the age you have much more responsibilities, you need proper balancing to balance your survival job and your new carrier path, it's possible but requires planing.
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Shikena(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2023
A friend won't pursue a dream in 2006 because 2010 was too far & he wasn't 'getting any younger'. 17 years later he is taking steps to get started with the same dream. Huge lesson.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Leebeedo(m): 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
Ikennaford:
No disadvantage ,I encourage you to continue ,,dropped out of med surg that year ,why,the profession looks weak to a real niqqa like me,my dad disowned me later accepted me
back as a black shheep ,hahahaha ,always love fast lane and I thank God it worked for me ,go for it

My brother, you no love fast lane reach me. Dropped out of a masters degree program in the UK cos what the lecturers were saying was like thrash to my ears. My fellow Nigerians were making fun of me, publicly and privately not knowing I had a plan all along. Now, I make millions monthly and it's still not enough.....still gunning for more.
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by toluxe0075: 3:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

Disadvantages:

-You spend another round of money on school fees, books and upkeep.
- You might get married late
- If you have no financial backing, you might get frustrated
- it will look as if everyone around you are getting far ahead of you while you are stagnant.

Advantages:

- You become a medical doctor after 8 to 9 years and get to fulfil your dream.
- A doctor is a doctor regardless of the age or school you graduate. There is no age discrimination in the profession. You only have to know what you are doing.

OP, the main question is, do you have the financial backing to pursue this career? Studying medicine is currently expensive. It used to be cheap at University of Ibadan and some other schools before but not anymore. I believe financial backing is your major challenge.

Another question is, are you brilliant enough to go through medical school till the end. You don’t want to end up gaining admission and then drop out half way or asked to withdraw because you could not cope academically.

If you can answer these two questions and they are positive, why don’t you pursue it. Many people in their 30s are going back to pursue medicine. The main goal is to become a doctor at the end of the day.

The truth is, whether you pursue medicine or not, you will still be in your late 30s in the next 8 to 9 years. By that time, do you want to be called a medical doctor or see yourself somewhere else? Only you can answer that.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Azularis: 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
You should pursue financial stability and forget about medicine. Medical school is stressful. Failing 3x and not being able to read medicine is an indication of what lies ahead incase you finally enter medical school. Doctors are not the richest.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Hassanmaye(m): 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
NwaNimo1:
In Nigeria the course could take up to 10 years to complete.....

Haha
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by malabo001(m): 3:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
I can see you have passion for the course. You might after regret it if you decided not to.

If you have the financial resources to, there’s nothing stopping you. Go for it!
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by CSTRR: 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
There is no disadvantage.

You are more mature than your classmates and should be able to display a higher level of excellence than your classmates.

You now know what to do, and what not to do.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by esivue007(m): 3:14pm On Dec 28, 2023
drimzsmoke:

1. No known disadvantage whatsoever
2. Lolz, in Nigeria of today, doctors don't find job, na job go dey rush you at 50. The jobs go won kill you sef if you're not careful
3. Expect ASUU strike and a little bit of depression here and there. That's all!!!

not a little bit of depression, it's a great deal of depression. I don tire cry
Medical school in naija isn't for the weak.

You'll be drilled ehh
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by CSTRR: 3:18pm On Dec 28, 2023
esivue007:

You'll be drilled ehh
Medical school anywhere is not for the weak.

Infact, it should be easier in Nigeria given the fact that you are not exposed to the best of technologies and fields and so the range for testing your knowledge is restricted to how much of your basic textbooks you can cram.

Study medicine in Germany or the United states, and na your body go tell you.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Ganjafama(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

No need . Just keep on studying till you acquire your PhD, you can even go overseas for your PhD.
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 4:00pm On Dec 28, 2023
drimzsmoke:

2. Lolz, in Nigeria of today, doctors don't find job, na job go dey rush you at 50. The jobs go won kill you sef if you're not careful

abi you dey whine me?
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by ogawisdom(m): 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

Nothing dey medicine

Focus on making money and financial independence

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Azularis:
You should pursue financial stability and forget about medicine. Medical school is stressful. Failing 3x and not being able to read medicine is an indication of what lies ahead incase you finally enter medical school. Doctors are not the richest.
I wrote jamb at age 17,18,19. I believe i failed to gain admission at the time due to lack of experience and responsibility.

i'm pass 25 and having gone through the university, i believe i'm mature and experienced enough to go for medicine.

Besides, Something inside of me keeps screaming medicine.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Medphy: 4:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
Go ahead with your dreams, you will never regret it.
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Yaccybaby: 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2023
NwaNimo1:
In Nigeria the course could take up to 10 years to complete.....

He could go to a private uni if there's money
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by hssd8nland: 4:59pm On Dec 28, 2023
ayodayg:
No be only medical doctor dey make am for this life.
Build yourself in the field you've found yourself.
Don't stop till you get PhD in that field.
You ehn grin
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by luckyz4rea(m): 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

If you have passion for it as you said, no disadvantages is worthy of distracting you from going for what you really want to do. I’m sure you don’t wanna live in regret later so go for it no matter what it cost as long as it’s your passion!
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Penboy: 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Leebeedo:

My brother, you no love fast lane reach me. Dropped out of a masters degree program in the UK cos what the lecturers were saying was like thrash to my ears. My fellow Nigerians were making fun of me, publicly and privately not knowing I had a plan all along. Now, I make millions monthly and it's still not enough.....still gunning for more.

Wgat dyou do boss?
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by drimzsmoke(m): 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:
abi you dey whine me?

Lolz, I'm not. Depending on how strong you are, you can work in 3 hospitals if you're living inside lagos
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by drimzsmoke(m): 6:26pm On Dec 28, 2023
esivue007:

You'll be drilled ehh

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I managed mine with drugs(abuse).☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️ Some managed theirs with student fellowship while some never even had an episode of it and very few had a full blown mental illness(I know of someone who committed suicide after he was withdrawn from med school in 500Level). Med school is soft in private university sha!!!
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 6:38pm On Dec 28, 2023
ogawisdom:

Nothing dey medicine

Focus on making money and financial independence
did you study medicine?
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 6:45pm On Dec 28, 2023
[quote author=drimzsmoke post=127668471]
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Gentlevip: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2023
We hope you are not studying it as a full-time career or money.

If it is for the passion and love it's good. Otherwise....I won't say the other way
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by Jackanda1(m): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2023
Leebeedo:

Are you into cripto? Show me way bro
Re: What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 by StemCellTherapi(m): 8:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jackanda1:

I'm also a Graduate having bagged a B.Sc in Social Science course in 2016 yet my spirit keeps disturbing to go back and study Nursing undecided

The Nursing thing has been coming to me the year after graduation but I kept on suppressing it.

Right now, I don't rest everyday.

And see life, I graduated school and as the universe will have, I became a Natural Medicine Practitioner (Naturopath).

How I found myself administering Natural Medicine to people is what I can't explain till date.

I've never worked in an office environment for one day. If I apply, I don't get in and if I get in, I get disturbed to leave. And I will eventually leave. I don't just fit in. It always seem as if I'm in the wrong place. I once got an office job were I left after just 2 days grin

I once over head my mum telling my brothers that she thinks I have a spiritual problem grin

It seems the Universe is really on my neck undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Professional Certification Program For Arts Related Courses / Digital Marketing Or Data Analysis, Which Part Should I Choose? / LPDC Probe: Ogunde Quits Jrp Over Stance, Backs Daughter, Olanipekun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.