Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,162 members, 7,829,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Is Marriage A Failed Union? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage A Failed Union? (8449 Views)

Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story / So This Is Marriage? / Virginity Doesn't Guarantee A Stable Marriage (a Must Read for young ladies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Barristter07: 10:27am On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:
I have seen plentiful post about failed marriages on the Internet. Most marriages only last a couple of years before divorce comes up. Although there are few happy marriages. The ratio for happy marriages and failed marriages is 20:80. There are many factors that contribute to failed marriages which include cheating, unfaithfulness, finance etc. Some just wake up and realise that their wife is no longer attractive ( did they force her on you? ). Back in the days marriages were pre set up whereby couples barely knows themselves. Nowadays you see couple dating for 6-10years and when they finally get married issues will start poping up.

Maybe marriage should be like a contact after some years it will be terminated depending on how long the couple want it to be

Marriage institution in itself is not the problem, people are. Even if we take away the issue of bad behavior of both genders. Tribe, Culture, Religion, Genotype, this Factors has also rob many people from marrying who they actually wanted or complicate things. They are usually forced to settle with someone they normally won't have given a pass .

But let us not Fall for the propaganda on social media, there is something called " News Value" , negative news sells Faster and that's why marriages with issues are pushed often and repeatedly which can lead to a biased view, there are still beautiful couples enjoying their marriages. Still, it takes effort.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Patented: 10:28am On Dec 29, 2023
The real question is not about Marriage as an institution, it is about the people who get married. Marriage has not changed, it is people that have changed. Commitment, discipline and compromise to make a marriage work has not changed. it is people who are unwilling to exhibit these qualities.

A thing of value placed in the hands of an idiot will be ignored, misused and abused but does that change the value of the thing? it will look like a mess because it is in the hands of someone who does not understand its value.

Meddymeddy:
I have seen plentiful post about failed marriages on the Internet. Most marriages only last a couple of years before divorce comes up. Although there are few happy marriages. The ratio for happy marriages and failed marriages is 20:80. There are many factors that contribute to failed marriages which include cheating, unfaithfulness, finance etc. Some just wake up and realise that their wife is no longer attractive ( did they force her on you? ). Back in the days marriages were pre set up whereby couples barely knows themselves. Nowadays you see couple dating for 6-10years and when they finally get married issues will start poping up.

Maybe marriage should be like a contact after some years it will be terminated depending on how long the couple want it to be
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by BloomingDale(f): 10:39am On Dec 29, 2023
Dopenigga:
You feminists are the worst of the worst. Emitting masculine energy and trying to drag leadership with the man in a relationship. A feministic woman is the last person I will ever have anything to do with. Y'all can marry and fvck yourselves. You're all closet lesbians anyway

Trying to drag leadership with a man? Oga, where them say men supposed be leaders and not women? Women are born natural leaders and make better decisions than men anyway. Most men are just overgrown crybabies like you. See the way you are crying on my post because you benefit massively from trying to keep a woman submissive. Feminists taking away your feeding bottle? You go cry tire.

3 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Linkwire: 10:46am On Dec 29, 2023
If you can , please don’t get married . Marriage failure doesn’t always have to do with money or love . Sometimes it’s disrespect seeping in gradually without both parties knowing. They begin to take each other for granted over time . Needs also start to raise their heads . One party may be on the receiving end and if not managed properly , it will lead to failure. When it starts requiring too much effort and now becomes work, that’s a signal to either fix up or walk away especially when your sanity is still intact. Again , even if you have all the money in the world , it can never make marriage work . The company you keep after getting married too matters a whole lot but nobody is ready for that conversation . You’re married and some peoples daily prayer is for your marriage to scatter so they can say “I told you so “. If you find yourself in a happy marriage earlier on , don’t let the outside world know, but it’s not even easy to fake not being happy . So you’ll automatically attact envy . You should now be a beautiful couple, with successful careees and have a baby that’s beautiful or handsome , and life is seeming like a bed of roses , no worry yourself , they don dey plan that marriage failure for una . Even if you marry your friend , the moment you exchange vows , that friendship will begin to be tested . Don’t let anyone fool you ; there’s no perfect partner out there . There’s no perfect marriage. All of them are facing one thing or the other . Some marriages just know how to pretend to outsiders better than others . On a closing note , if you think marriage will bring a lot of ta-ta-ta to compensate , lmao , i weep for you in advance .

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Mryacks: 10:47am On Dec 29, 2023
elder1002:
The beautiful side of marriage is the friendship, companionship that comes with it, this is by far the most beautiful aspect,
Aside this, there is nothing preety much attractive, in summaary without this its hard to love, you easily fall out of love, a living bondage. Husbands who don't just known how to stir up joy and wives who are as lazy as you can think of 😅😅... The end you end up with both partners with mutual understanding,0 love and just being tolerant of each other for the next couple of years till death do them part.

Happy in picures, happy in public.
But tolerant of each other in private.
Even VERY difficult to exhibit affections to each other in private.
The divorce rate this days are skyrocketing, then we understand that marriage is far *more deeper than sex itself*

If there is no love, true genuine love, omoh , if you like have a plantation of wealth that covers the sea, its very difficult for you to pleasure and please someone who has fallen out of love.

Truly, it deeply takes *Love* to keep a home.
Teachings on marriage this days add , no , you need this and that and those 😅😅..

The foundation for a sustainable and long lasting relationship is love, try to prioritize any other instrument and make love a second option and see how your relationship collapse bit by bit..

There is no subistute for love, its far deep that hunans can comprehend, that is why love is likened to SACRICICES.

That's why love has to stand the *test of time* before it can be translated to true love.

Most marriages break up, relationships fall out of love, no butterflies in their bellies as it was at first time 😅😅.

Husband's beating wives, wives disrespecting husbands, relationship having second thoughts about themselves after a couple of years together.

*Time, the true revealer*

*TIME THE TRUE REVEALER*

You don't have to prove anything to anybody, you don't have to force people to do certain things to showcase how much they are head over heels for you.

*ALLOW TIME DO THE PROVING*

untill love has stood the test of time, then it translates to *TRUE LOVE*

"True Love" I value it more than anything else
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by NoToPile: 10:55am On Dec 29, 2023
johnog4sure:
They won't allow married people to comment...

People who enjoying stable marriages dont come online to show off, that is why it seems there are more bad marriages than good ones.

To have a stable marriage both couple must want and need it! You must want the marriage, because you need a family, other
things falls behind this, talking as a married man

You are right @bolded.

For a marriage to be stable both parties must be intentional. No one is perfect.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 10:56am On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:

You are talking about marriages as an institution, not as a union.
One union can fail and another can succeed. But marriages as an institution is undoubtedly failing.
And you are equally wrong by 20:80% ratio. Percentage of successful marriages is higher than that of failed ones
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by NoToPile: 10:57am On Dec 29, 2023
Isolock:
The post about marriage is funny because it shows how depraved and culturally & socially irresponsible our society has become. Young men and ladies that see relationship & sexual immorality as a game are here speaking as if they know what it is to be truly married. The generation of kids we have is just incredibly terrible. They're stupid and perverted beyond all ramification. If you're here and still hold a sane mind. Good for you, thank God for your life. That said, don't bring up useless statistics about marriage when you know nothing about it. God established marriage and it is a beautiful thing when a Man and a woman come together as one to live and bring forth a new generation.

Spot on
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 11:01am On Dec 29, 2023
SeaTrade:
I think marriage was imposed on humans for reasons best known to its creators.
Men want more women,women want more men.
You give this,you lack that ,etc...
Is it something I'm excited about?No.
Will I do it?Well maybe,time shall tell.
Am I scared about it?Yes.
Will I trust my spouse?Well I honestly don't know but I highly doubt it.
It's hard to completely trust a person cos along the line,you'd get disappointed one way or the other,
The only reason a lot of people still trust their unions is ignorance,shine a little light to the dark and all hell breaks lose.
I've learnt to tolerate some excesses and ignore a lot as I grow older when it comes to this whole union thing,just give me my space abeg and don't be all up in my face as I won't do same to you.
If you want to have more,feel free cos I won't even investigate,just don't bring back diseases to pass to me cos I'd kill you honestly .

You gave green light, anything can be brought back to you since you don't care
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:01am On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:

It proves how stupid and evil this generation is. Common buying and selling/services contracts you people are scheming ways to cheat the other party is it now marriage?

This is just a pure reflection of the type of wild and untrained animals you people have become today.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 11:02am On Dec 29, 2023
socialmediaman:
People these days consider love as a feeling rather than a decision (choice).

Having said that, let me also note that while 50% of first marriages fail, many divorced people go ahead to remarry and live stable married lives

So yes, marriages are failing at a much higher rate than before, but many people are living happy lives after they remarried, they learned something from their previous marriages that was helpful when the next marriage happened

Talking about learning, for example, when these men-haters and women-beaters end up in a divorce and eventually get the therapy which they didn’t have before their previous marriages, they sometimes learn something positive that helps them become better people

Love is a feeling, marriage is a decision
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by YesGodcan(m): 11:02am On Dec 29, 2023
No marriage can never be a failed union but Nigeria economic situation is bad for everything.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by CivilAboki: 11:05am On Dec 29, 2023
The ratio for happy marriages and failed marriages is 20:80.

PLEASE WHERE DID YOU GET THIS STAT FROM, DID IT JUST COME FROM YOUR IMAGINATION?
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by BigBashiru: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2023
One thing I hate hearing about marriage is that "marriage is God's institution"...No its not! The olden day marriage may have been but the present day one is definitely not.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2023
emkz:
Marriage is not a failed union. Marriages fail because man fails.

That marriages fail is a result of the decisions of those involved.

(1) Why do people get married? Why do you want to get married?
(2) The thing we bandy around claiming it is "love", how many people will remain in love when the thing that fuels the love is missing? It could be finance, sex, body structure, and all sorts of things. Would you remain with someone who suffers a mental incapacity during your marriage?
(3) How many married people are truly friends with their spouses? You find many entering marriages calculating how it would be used for poverty alleviation, endless sex (which gets tiring after a while) and security. Some even get married to pepper their peers, while others do it to look responsible. Many more do it because it is the next thing to do after a certain age. Some even do it for childbirth.
(4) Following on point 3, some get married and are lonely in marriages because their spouses have unfulfilled hopes and expectations with some ex who they really preferred to be with. They expect a certain satisfaction from the marriage which they do not get.

My conclusion is that marriages fail because man does not really like something good. Give them a fulfilling life, they'd find a way to ruin it. If not, why would a man or woman ruin his or her household with his own hands?

This is profound!
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 11:10am On Dec 29, 2023
flokii:
I don't know why but opinion polls suggest that marriage is more or less a trap for men, but a lucrative venture for women.

The man gets to shoulder all the burden, pay bills and spend endlessly, but the woman gets to live comfortably and keep her money all to herself .

And mostly still favoured by the kids when it is time to reap. grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Kingrshd3: 11:10am On Dec 29, 2023
Lemos14:

That billing issue is why I generally avoid igbo girls. I dont mean that in a tribalistic sense. They are the most greedy.

Eggzactly because even their pride price alone is war ..
My brother watch you head 😁

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by loswhite(m): 11:12am On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:

What is the essence of the nonsense you wrote? Like what is the message if at the end you write about marriage being a contract? Why do we need contract when you can just have a baby mama and move or women can just choose to have IVF or seduce someone to impregnate then and just move on
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by tctrills: 11:13am On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:

You claim that the ratio of happy marriages to failed ones is 20:80. Please what's the source of your data because I suspect it's a totally fabricated figure.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 11:14am On Dec 29, 2023
emkz:
Marriage is not a failed union. Marriages fail because man fails.

That marriages fail is a result of the decisions of those involved.

(1) Why do people get married? Why do you want to get married?
(2) The thing we bandy around claiming it is "love", how many people will remain in love when the thing that fuels the love is missing? It could be finance, sex, body structure, and all sorts of things. Would you remain with someone who suffers a mental incapacity during your marriage?
(3) How many married people are truly friends with their spouses? You find many entering marriages calculating how it would be used for poverty alleviation, endless sex (which gets tiring after a while) and security. Some even get married to pepper their peers, while others do it to look responsible. Many more do it because it is the next thing to do after a certain age. Some even do it for childbirth.
(4) Following on point 3, some get married and are lonely in marriages because their spouses have unfulfilled hopes and expectations with some ex who they really preferred to be with. They expect a certain satisfaction from the marriage which they do not get.

My conclusion is that marriages fail because man does not really like something good. Give them a fulfilling life, they'd find a way to ruin it. If not, why would a man or woman ruin his or her household with his own hands?

You tried but you failed to answer your own question when you dismissed all the possible reasons why people get married. People marry for reason(s), you shouldn't forget that. Some reasons could be genuine and understandable while some could be superficial but there must be reasons.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by ZaraIhua(f): 11:21am On Dec 29, 2023
I think there are a good number of happy marriages out there but the people involved keep it low-key. I've seen people who are genuinely enjoying their marriage but don't show it off, especially on social media cause once they do, it's either people will not believe them (as most people already have the mindset that no good marriage exists especially when theirs has failed thus, project their negativity and failures on u) or evil people out there would want to pour sand inside their garri ( as most people do not want to see you happy)

I pray and hope for a happy marriage, and when I get it. I'll do well to keep it off social media too. The energy that comes from it is terrible
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by emkz: 11:32am On Dec 29, 2023
maasoap:

You tried but you failed to answer your own question when you dismissed all the possible reasons why people get married. People marry for reason(s), you shouldn't forget that. Some reasons could be genuine and understandable while some could be superficial but there must be reasons.

I am not the one to advise anyone on the reason(s) to get married.

Depending on your level of development, you'd know for yourself why you want to get hitched. So long as your reason works for you, good for you.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by maasoap(m): 11:35am On Dec 29, 2023
emkz:

I am not the one to advise anyone on the reason(s) to get married.

Depending on your level of development, you'd know for yourself why you want to get hitched. So long as your reason works for you, good for you.
Just saying that there has to be reasons why two people decide to come together and live together.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by AlluviaUC: 11:46am On Dec 29, 2023
SeaTrade:
I think marriage was imposed on humans for reasons best known to its creators.
Men want more women,women want more men.
You give this,you lack that ,etc...
Is it something I'm excited about?No.
Will I do it?Well maybe,time shall tell.
Am I scared about it?Yes.
Will I trust my spouse?Well I honestly don't know but I highly doubt it.
It's hard to completely trust a person cos along the line,you'd get disappointed one way or the other,
The only reason a lot of people still trust their unions is ignorance,shine a little light to the dark and all hell breaks lose.
I've learnt to tolerate some excesses and ignore a lot as I grow older when it comes to this whole union thing,just give me my space abeg and don't be all up in my face as I won't do same to you.
If you want to have more,feel free cos I won't even investigate,just don't bring back diseases to pass to me cos I'd kill you honestly.

Succinct. Open relationship or open contract marriage is the way for me. Marriage is like a prison and wedding ring is the handcuff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Dopenigga(m): 11:59am On Dec 29, 2023
BloomingDale:

Trying to drag leadership with a man? Oga, where them say men supposed be leaders and not women? Women are born natural leaders and make better decisions than men anyway. Most men are just overgrown crybabies like you. See the way you are crying on my post because you benefit massively from trying to keep a woman submissive. Feminists taking away your feeding bottle? You go cry tire.
Shebi na Nigeria all of us dey? We shall see cheesy. Now, run along to your lesbian wife abi husband

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by BloomingDale(f): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2023
Dopenigga:
Shebi na Nigeria all of us dey? We shall see cheesy. Now, run along to your lesbian wife abi husband

Cry your cry. I cry my cry.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Kobojunkie: 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:
Whay sayest thee not know of such legal agreement?.... I'm not talking from your angle son. What I mean here, as a contract, the couple will agree on a specific years they wish to be married let's say ten years and after the time have elapsed, they might decide to renew or terminate. This way it will reduce the trauma and emotional disorder that comes with divorce.
And if it so happens that a couples agree to 10-year term but are ready by year 5 to call it quits, then what? Or if after agreeing to 10, both are still not ready to call it quits after the period has elapsed? Would it be less traumatic then? undecided

Abegi, divorce as it is makes sense for marriage. undecided
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by efficiencie(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2023
shortgun:
The modern man should continue to deceive themselves till eternity but the truth remains that 1 woman will never meet the needs of a man sexually, emotionally or in functionality. angry
As long as women continue to push for equal authority with men in households, the result will always be disastrous.

This is also deception because one man cannot meet the needs of one woman. Having more than one spouse was initially driven by economic reasons which are no longer valid today. Marriages fail because everyone wants to eat their cake and have it. Marriages fail because people do not want to learn, change, repent, grow and be responsible. Marriages fail because people want to be able to enjoy the benefits of being single and being married at the same time. Show me a selfless couple and I will show you are immortal marriage.
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Tonytonex(m): 2:07pm On Dec 29, 2023
Meddymeddy:

That's not what your Creator said you should do. If you don't follow manual instructions, the machine will malfunction.
Life generally no hard, na we dey make am like bricklayer work. cool
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Dec 29, 2023
Tonytonex:
That's not what your Creator said you should do. If you don't follow manual instructions, the machine will malfunction.
Life generally no hard, na we dey make am like bricklayer work. cool
What creator? What manual? undecided
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Kobojunkie: 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2023
ZaraIhua:
I think there are a good number of happy marriages out there but the people involved keep it low-key. I've seen people who are genuinely enjoying their marriage but don't show it off, especially on social media cause once they do, it's either people will not believe them (as most people already have the mindset that no good marriage exists especially when theirs has failed thus, project their negativity and failures on u) or evil people out there would want to pour sand inside their garri ( as most people do not want to see you happy)
I pray and hope for a happy marriage, and when I get it. I'll do well to keep it off social media too. The energy that comes from it is terrible
Stop blaming failures in marriages on social media abeg! There are many more out there in damaged relationships that are not on social media and that is a fact. So leave social media out of this discussion. undecided
Re: Is Marriage A Failed Union? by Yankee101: 4:02pm On Dec 29, 2023
Marriage should be honorable
But the mindset of people doing it today is not
You’re supposed to go in as virgins, a provider and help meet and be satisfied with each other for life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Like Sex But My Wife Doesn't, Please Advice / Why Are Boys Closer To Their Mother And Girls Closer To Their Dad? / How To Earn Regular Daily Income As A Driver With Roosca! |#Family & Life|

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.