Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments (8929 Views)

Nigerians Groan Over Fuel Crisis, Queues / Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation / Border Closure: Beninese Groan In Pains, Lament Loses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Almunjid(m): 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
freemanq:
Power sector in Nigeria is heard by demonic forces
... held by...
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by dacool1(m): 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
nairalanda1:
Basic problem with power supply is simply solved by letting them SET THEIR OWN PRICES.

Like the GSM sector, like the food sector, like the hotel sector...SET THEIR OWN PRICES.

In your mind you think it's there's no price control for TELECOMS

The question you should be asking is how did it jump over 1000% when gas prices did just 200%+
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Dejijossy(m): 12:20pm On Dec 29, 2023
I reside in Zaria, enjoys minimum of 18 hrs stable power daily. My gen has been on leave for over a month now

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by F117nighthawk: 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2023
We ain't seen nothing yet,the people deserve the leaders and system they get,
Until when tribal, ethnic and religious sentiments are removed from our brains,we vote the right person to power and we get the right results

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by dacool1(m): 12:23pm On Dec 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
Lies. I don't believe those subsidy increase figures.
Why is the increase coming only after petrol subsidy "disappeared"?

I think they just reallocated the money from some set of thieves to another.

This country can never get better until the masses unite which is almost impossible because of the tribal and religious bigots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Olaide1295: 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2023
Privatisation was not properly done.
The TCN which is a major player is still owned by the government and run inefficiently.
The major problem however, is that the market is not allowed to dictate the prices that electricity is traded at.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by rayopt(m): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2023
Lol. I laughed reading the headline. Won't even reading all that story because I honestly won't lie, I have never witness the light I am currently having in this Nigeria. I traveled between mowe, Lagos, and Ilorin in this December. The current state of electricity in these places is mind-blowing. And I get that from people in other locations. So, I don't know wat this post is all about.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by RepoMan007: 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2023
nairalanda1:
Basic problem with power supply is simply solved by letting them SET THEIR OWN PRICES.

Like the GSM sector, like the food sector, like the hotel sector...SET THEIR OWN PRICES.
same thinking cap you refused to put on in petrol subsidy removal is what you have embraced here.

Why the cost of generating power wait for petrol subsidy to go before increasing exponentially?

The saved funds from petrol subsidy removal is being targeted by other sectors.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Emusan(m): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2023
About $50billion has been invested in power sector yet no light.

But the biggest hydro power plant in the world: The Three Gorges Dam that produces over 20,000MW of electricity cost just $37Billion and this cost includes relocation of thousands of people that will be affected with the flooding water.
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Penboy: 12:29pm On Dec 29, 2023
If you truly read all the post,

End here with your account details.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Ykc2(m): 12:30pm On Dec 29, 2023
Stop darkness in nigeria is like going to police station to bail your friend for free which not possible,in short nigeria as a country with kind of corruption there will never enjoy 24/7 electricity till all Afghanistan people became Christians
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by InfectedEmbryo: 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2023
Pigs won't be happy about this
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Shomek(m): 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
Fake news we wey dey get light anyhow for here
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Promise47(m): 12:44pm On Dec 29, 2023
Promise Nwachokor
2208537373 zenith bank
Penboy:

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Promise47(m): 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2023
I ready all the post my details is up there thank you
Penboy:

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by ifeco4(m): 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2023
Leboska:
Where is Fashola former minister of darkness

The Id$or that claimed to give us constant power within 6 months.
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by tuzle(m): 12:51pm On Dec 29, 2023
I wonder why the government can't solve our electricity problem. Why can't we under study lots of countries that have 24hr light. My place, it is at midnight u can have stable light for more than 2hrs. During the day, if u manage to see light, it won't last more than an hour.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by freemanq(m): 12:52pm On Dec 29, 2023
Almunjid:

... held by...
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Johel(m): 12:52pm On Dec 29, 2023
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Iceberg3: 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2023
It's so horrible, frustrating, annoying, disgusting that we have to put up with darkness and power outage everyday in Nigeria.
Everyday darkness and heat!
Some people born 10,20,30 years ago in Nigeria don't know anything about constant, regular power supply...all they know is days of darkness,"up nepa"...

Sad thing is, Nigerians would rather spend their time doing tribalism, spending energy on tribal hate instead of using same energy to protest against such govt lapses like power outage

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Maga123: 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
You people will write articles tire oooo light no fit stable for Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by Iceberg3: 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
rayopt:
Lol. I laughed reading the headline. Won't even reading all that story because I honestly won't lie, I have never witness the light I am currently having in this Nigeria. I traveled between mowe, Lagos, and Ilorin in this December. The current state of electricity in these places is mind-blowing. And I get that from people in other locations. So, I don't know wat this post is all about.
What are you talking about,can't you guys post clearly and plainly for people to understand?
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by bentenny(m): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2023
A bill has been signed into law giving states the power and authorisation to generate,transmit and distribute electricity both in areas covered by the national grid and areas not covered by the national grid!
States in the SS and SE should be at the forefront to ensure electricity is provided in their domain due to the availability of gas and coal in those states!
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by YourKarma: 1:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
"A serious government will provide power in 6 months" - said by APC
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by nairalanda1(m): 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
same thinking cap you refused to put on in petrol subsidy removal is what you have embraced here.

Why the cost of generating power wait for petrol subsidy to go before increasing exponentially?

The saved funds from petrol subsidy removal is being targeted by other sectors.

Okay. Run your own business and sell things below market prices and tell me how that worked out.

It's not my idea by the way, it is common sense. Selling at a profit provides enough money to fix things, pay decentsalaries and pay for improved R and D which would eventually lead to better service.

Your concern for the poor of this nation is commendable, but at the end, humanity is a greedy and evil race. And unfortunately, capitalisim, with some 'control' is the antidote to such beastly behaviour. Also, things don't pay for themselves. We haven't become that advanced yet.
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by nairalanda1(m): 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2023
dacool1:

In your mind you think it's there's no price control for TELECOMS

The question you should be asking is how did it jump over 1000% when gas prices did just 200%+

Because equipment, salaries, taxes, etc also have to be paid for, as well as improvements. All those cost money.. and all these too have risen in costs.

Again, I am happy that you are concerned about the poor. In my mind, things should be cheaper, but at the end of the day, things cost money. Sad, but it is the fact we have to live with.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by nairalanda1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2023
happney65:

Yes,they should set their own prices.

However when they set their prices,they know they are the ones to fix transformers,power lines and availability of prepaid metres. We are not the ones to be doing anything related to electricity again except paying for it. And paying for it means we are getting 247 electricity.

If they can do that. No matter the amount they charge, we shall pay.

If they want to do like the GSM sector which is the right way,they have to do everything included

Which is why they have to be allowed to fix their prices like the GSM sector, so that they can afford to do all the things you say they should do.

At the moment they cannot. And subsides don't cover for things like rise in cost of production very well. (A lesson far too many communist countries learned too late).

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by frankmoney(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2023
freemanq:
Power sector in Nigeria is held by demonic forces
honestly because this is not ordinary
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by BABANGBALI: 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2023
Land of criminals. Very useless country, with criminal minded leaders

I need 20k Biko, I’m stranded in Bethlehem…🥹
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by mejetov422: 1:33pm On Dec 29, 2023
According to one dullard "Na statistic we go chop?"

ogododo:
They noted that for instance, the government now has to pay N46.66/kWh in subsidy to Abuja Disco from the first quarter of 2023 figures of N2.43/kWh, raising the subsidy figures to Abuja Disco to N43.26bn in the third quarter.

“This is a jump of 1,912 per cent from N2.15bn in Q1 to N43,26bn in Q3, 2023. Similarly, Eko Disco that was N2.55/kWh in Q1 has seen a rise of 1, 676 per cent in subsidy payment as at Q3, 2023,” Adegbemle explained.

He added, “Similar data for Yola Disco shows only a 98 per cent rise in subsidy payment in Q3, 2023. For Yola Disco, cost reflective tariff was N214.57/kWh, but the allowed tariff remained at N65.99/kWh, with the government paying N148.58/kWh, amounting to N15.52bn in Q3 2023.

“Data clearly shows that the high income consumers, or the rich, are benefiting more from the subsidy than the low income consumers that the subsidy was designed for.”

Also, data from the National Bureau of Statistics established that the rich/high income households have a higher electricity consumption pattern than their poor neighbours.

Further report from the NERC also showed that the subsidy payment for the poorest 20 per cent in the non-maximum demand consumers, mainly residentials, stands at measely N0.43bn, while the richest 20 per cent gulps N17.24bn in subsidy payment by the government in the Q1 2023. The middle income group also accounts for N3.36bn in subsidy.

By Q3, 2023, the richest 20 per cent accounted for N117.8bn, while the poorest 20 per cent benefitted only N2.97bn. These figures show clearly that the electricity tariff subsidy has been disproportionately benefiting the rich Nigerian consumers, while excluding the poor ones the subsidy itself was designed for.

“And it is also detrimental to the government finances. The Federal Government is urged to take a quick decision before the situation spirals out of control like the petrol subsidy.

“About N2tn subsidy has been paid since 2015 and there has been negligible investment in the NESI by the private sector (except Azura), which is a clear signal that the commercial viability of the sector has left a lot to be desired.

“Electricity subsidy is not sustainable and we need to start thinking of where else the subsidy we are paying in electricity tariff can be better applied,” Adegbemle stated.

Power minister speaks

In proffering solutions, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, in a presentation he made at the recent power retreat, which was made available to The PUNCH by his ministry, said state governments must be allowed to participate in the business of power supply in Nigeria.

He said, “The Electricity Act 2023 now allows, in line with the 1999 Constitution as amended, that states may establish the legal, regulatory and commercial frameworks for their domestic electricity markets. This must happen if we are to increase the geographical footprint of electricity supply and consumption for residents and businesses across Nigeria.

“This evolution from the single national electricity market to a dual structure comprising a wholesale market and potentially, several state retail markets, requires careful consideration of how the transition will take place.

“States, Local Government Areas and the current Discos must work together to invest in reinforcing and extending local distribution infrastructure in a way that enhances competition wherever possible, while also recognising the equitable vested interest that that states have historically had in the shareholding of the Discos.

“State governments, in turn, must recognise that state-level policymaking and regulation is of value only if they attract investment into their domestic electricity markets.”
Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by nairalanda1(m): 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
freemanq:
Power sector in Nigeria is held by demonic forces

No. It is not held by any demonic forces...and I beg you, stop making Lucifer Asmodeus look more powerful than he really is.

The simple reason why we do not have enough power is that the government controls pricing in the power sector, to the point where they cannot make enough profit to pay for improvements (and the subsides don't cover the cost), also, 30-40% of Nigerians steal power.

No money, no improvement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan In Darkness Despite Power Sector Privatisation, Investments by nairalanda1(m): 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
Olaide1295:
Privatisation was not properly done.
The TCN which is a major player is still owned by the government and run inefficiently.
The major problem however, is that the market is not allowed to dictate the prices that electricity is traded at.

Precisely.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olisa Methu Arrived In Court In Full Dead Body Arrangement. / PDP Accuses APC, Presidency Of Doing "Business With Bandits" / PDP To Buhari: Our Governors Don’t Peddle Falsehood Like You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.