Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,265 members, 7,815,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months (16984 Views)

Kaduna, Abia, Rivers… 28 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In Six Months / Rivers, Kano, Abia… 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 2022 / APC Governorship Primaries In 27 States (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Addme: 5:06am On Dec 30, 2023
Foreign investors snubbed 27 states as the value of capital importation into Nigeria fell by 34 percent to $2.82 billion in the first nine months of 2023, from $4.27 billion in the same period last year.

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) disclosed this in its latest capital importation report for the third quarter (Q3) of 2023 released on Friday.

Capital importation can be explained as bringing in capital from abroad to fuel investment, trade, and manufacturing within a country.

Nigeria’s capital imports for the first nine months of 2023, comprising Q1 – Q3 totalled $2.82 billion, with $1.13 billion imported in Q1, $1.03 billion in Q2 and $654.65m in Q3 2023.

The number of states that did not record investments dropped from 28 states in the first half of 2023 to 27 in the first nine months after Abia attracted a remarkable $150.09 million in Q3 – the only state to witness such a dramatic turnaround within three months.

According to the NBS report, the 27 states that failed to attract foreign investment in the first nine months of 2023 include:

..Bauchi
..Bayelsa
..Benue
..Borno
..Cross River
..Delta
..Ebonyi
..Edo
..Enugu
..Gombe
..Imo
..Jigawa
..Kaduna
..Kano
..Katsina
..Kebbi
..Kogi
..Kwara
..Nasarawa
..Osun
..Oyo
..Plateau
..Rivers
..Sokoto
..Taraba
..Yobe
..Zamfara

LAGOS CONTINUES TO DRAW CAPITAL EVEN AS OTHERS FALTER

In the review period, Lagos took the lead, outshining others — including the federal capital territory (FCT) — to top the list of states that attracted the most investments.

Analysis by TheCable Index shows that the country’s major commercial city attracted $1.79 billion, representing 64 percent of the total capital inflow into Nigeria.

In April, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, assured investors that the state is the right place for investments and “the crown subnational jewel of the African economy”.

He said Lagos was ripe for investments in financial technology, education technology, health technology, business process outsourcing (BPO), talent training and placement, or physical infrastructure like data centres, among others

According to the NBS report, FCT emerged as the second top investment destination with $799.21 million — representing 28 percent of the total capital inflow in the country in the first nine months of the year.

Other states that attracted foreign investments in the nine months are Abia ($150.09 million), Akwa Ibom ($39.13 million), Ogun (27.09), and Adamawa ($4.5 million).

Anambra attracted $4 million, Niger $1.50 million, $200,000 and Ekiti $38,250

https://www.thecable.ng/full-list-rivers-imo-27-states-attracted-zero-foreign-investments-in-9-months/amp

1 Like

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Bulldozer90: 5:11am On Dec 30, 2023
Assuming the info is correct, Abia the hotbed of Biafra agitation still have more foreign investment than all other states put together excluding Lagos. This also includes all southwest West states with their landmass excluding Lagos.

Not to talk of local investment which is often highest in the East.

115 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Whalis: 5:16am On Dec 30, 2023
Fubara and Wike attracted newsmakers to the state.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by naturalman: 5:31am On Dec 30, 2023
Labour party to the world

Labour party to the rescue
When Alex otti finishes with Abia state, the agbados will know what it means to have Peter Obinna as a mentor

131 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Racoon(m): 5:36am On Dec 30, 2023
Congratulations to Lagos. Nice one too for Abia and Anambra states.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Ofodirinwa: 5:37am On Dec 30, 2023
Foreign investment = investing while having white skin. Regardless of what the investment is

I am from Imo. My brother-in-Law who is in the US has built a hotel. This is not a foreign investment. If my white neighbor builds the same hotel in the same place, it becomes foreign investment. And the foreign investment is automatically be consider more of a good thing.

When African build businesses in the US and Europe, is it called foreign investment?

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Blackfire(m): 6:02am On Dec 30, 2023
Despite the issues in the East...

Anambra suppose to be there

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by BeautifulMind2: 6:09am On Dec 30, 2023
Anambra development agreement deal with Afreximbank

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Iamanoited: 6:15am On Dec 30, 2023
NIA36CA
ADOPT FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG
NIGERIA WILL HAVE PEACE LOVE AND SUCCESS GALORE.
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Totilopussylick(m): 6:23am On Dec 30, 2023
Before this time next year. You'll say the same thing about Ebonyi state tongue
Racoon:
Congratulations to Lagos. Nice one too for Abia and Anambra states.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Fujiyama: 6:47am On Dec 30, 2023
The Tinubu administration is failing big time on security.

Only arms dealers, casket makers etc. would show any interest in some parts of Nigeria at the moment.

Farmers cannot go to their farms for fear of rogue herders and other terrorists. Traders cannot go to markets for fear of being kidnapped on the highways by terrorists. Where is the local investment going to come from in these conditions...before we even talk of foreign investment?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Dreal1247: 7:13am On Dec 30, 2023
Tinubu truly promised to continue from where Buhari stopped. Indeed, he is a man of his words. I have zero pity to anybody that supported this madness.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by rdokoye: 7:15am On Dec 30, 2023
No nation has ever developed on foreign investment. Domestic investment is most important.

15 Likes

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Indispensable85(m): 8:56am On Dec 30, 2023
Edo no level as usual. Just grammar upon grammar. Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssss

1 Like

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Faiththatworks(m): 9:01am On Dec 30, 2023
I don't think anyone should be suprised at this news,Lagos leads,while other states struggle to attract any foreign investment.
I'm sure it will only get better for Lagos and Ogun state.
I have repeating all year,the investment that will be unleashed In the Ibeju-lekki and Ogun waterside Axis from next year as we countdown to the roll out of refined products from the Dangote Refinery will be massive.
With 3 million barrels of Crude-Oil pumped into the tanks,the next few months will signal the import of massive capital into the Ibeju-lekki axis.
I'm sure wise Investors have already used this period to invest in assets waiting for the commencement of Business.
Even the Us ambassador talked about importing Capita from the Us and investing in the free-trade zone along that axis.
If you are interested in investing in landed properties around that axis,you can check my signature for more details.
God bless Nigeria....

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by kettykin: 9:19am On Dec 30, 2023
Bulldozer90:
Assuming the info is correct, Abia the hotbed of Biafra agitation still have more foreign investment than all other states put together excluding Lagos. This also includes all southwest West states with their landmass excluding Lagos.

By the time Alex otiti rolls out his visionary plan , Abia will be having foreign investment of more than $2b or more . This is the reason why biggest igbo businesses need to secure their business space in Aba before the Aba bull run.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Bulldozer90: 10:01am On Dec 30, 2023
kettykin:

By the time Alex otiti rolls out his visionary plan , Abia will be having foreign investment of more than $2b or more . This is the reason why biggest igbo businesses need to secure their business space in Aba before the Aba bull run.
I don't like his borrowings. It's uncalled for.
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by ecolime(m): 10:09am On Dec 30, 2023
naturalman:
Labour party to the world

Labour party to the rescue
When Alex otti finishes with Abia state, the agbados will know what it means to have Peter Obinna as a mentor
Alex is really doing well for Abia.

They are the new pride of South East.

My only confusion is how come your Prime Minister is always calling his government illegitimate?

He won fair and square if I may recall. I no just understand Ekpa

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by DDIA: 10:09am On Dec 30, 2023
The North East and the South East are doing well .

If you doubt about the North East, ask Jeon the Aboki girl grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by othermen: 10:09am On Dec 30, 2023
The foreign investors are not gravitating on the basis of conducive tax or business environment. If you have exploitable resources in hell-fire, they would find their way.

The states that have failed to attract has to do better to demonstrate they have exploitable resources or some array of compelling investment opportunities.

The governments should also diversify their strategies beyond merely attracting foreign investors- in the end, the return from exploring export markets and seeking business partnerships will also open avenues for economic growth and resource utilization. Let us find countries or even states within Nigeria that have a demand for your local resources and you would get some beneficial trade relationship. Benue for instance can be the food basket of the nation and become economically buoyant from it- but the government does not have the initiative to do the business. The Northerners are exploiting the state- trucks and trucks of food produce from unprotected farmers, who are exploited. The government through its trade department can ensure farmers are well paid for their produce, while taxing the merchants getting the resources out.
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by PHIPEX(m): 10:09am On Dec 30, 2023
I still rate serious local investors above foreign investors these days.

We pay too many attention to foreign investors at the expense of local investors. Foreign investors that easily pack and go at any slightest discomfort. Create enabling environment for your citizens to create wealth and invest at home.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by STEWpid(f): 10:10am On Dec 30, 2023
What a tragic-comedy!!

Chai..
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Thinktwicemybro: 10:11am On Dec 30, 2023
Nobody invests in a dead country
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by STEWpid(f): 10:11am On Dec 30, 2023
Jobman222:
cheesy de

??
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by Papayaayasager(m): 10:11am On Dec 30, 2023
Al the six goe-political zones represented
Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by lexy2014: 10:12am On Dec 30, 2023
Faiththatworks:
I don't think anyone should be suprised at this news,Lagos leads,while other states struggle to attract any foreign investment.
I'm sure it will only get better for Lagos and Ogun state.
I have repeating all year,the investment that will be unleashed In the Ibeju-lekki and Ogun waterside Axis from next year as we countdown to the roll out of refined products from the Dangote Refinery will be massive.
With 3 million barrels of Crude-Oil pumped into the tanks,the next few months will signal the import of massive capital into the Ibeju-lekki axis.
I'm sure wise Investors have already used this period to invest in assets waiting for the commencement of Business.
Even the Us ambassador talked about importing Capita from the Us and investing in the free-trade zone along that axis.
If you are interested in investing in landed properties around that axis,you can check my signature for more details.
God bless Nigeria....

what are the "the investment that will be unleashed In the Ibeju-lekki and Ogun waterside Axis from next year as we countdown to the roll out of refined products from the Dangote Refinery will be massive"?

what are the investments that Lagos attracted?

2 Likes

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by ILoveNG: 10:15am On Dec 30, 2023
Bulldozer90:

Congratulations to Abia

Although you did that because you believe you could score some cheap points with it, however I'm glad you now acknowledge the fact that the ways with which your people go about with your Biafra agitation can be detrimental to you people. If it doesn't affect foreign investment, it's definitely affecting other areas. If those areas are brought to your attention, I hope you won't shy away and contradict yourself.

Also, I'm still wondering why you exclude Lagos while referring to "all southwest states" when Lagos is as a matter of fact, part of Southwest. I guess admitting that would give you high BP 😂

Typical omo ibo thinking pattern 😂

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 27 States Attracted Zero Foreign Investments In 9 Months by MightySparrow: 10:15am On Dec 30, 2023
Bulldozer90:

How did you arrive at your claim?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Files Fresh 50 Counts Of Fraud Against Fmr Gov. Of Bayelsa Sylva / Obasanjo Is Helping Nigeria Secure Its Future - Osinbajo / Navy's 'Operation Octopus Grip' In Bayelsa, Delta Set To Be Launched

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.