Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,652 members, 7,813,194 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 (14434 Views)

Naira Will Appreciate, Dump Your Dollars To Avoid Tears – Onanuga / Anxiety In 25 States As Govs, 324 Others Move Against Election Results / 2023: Naira Will Hit ₦5,000 Per Dollar If.... – Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by politicoNG: 8:20am On Dec 30, 2023
Bloomberg, a US-based media organisation, on Friday, predicted that the naira will decline further in 2024.

According to the publication, the naira is poised for its worst year since the return to democracy in 1999 adding that analysts are predicting further depreciation in 2024.

The report said naira fell 55 percent this year to N1,043 per dollar at the official market on Thursday.

The decline, Bloomberg said, made the naira the third worst-performing currency in the world behind the Lebanese pound and the Argentine peso — among 151 currencies tracked by the media firm.

It reported foreign reserves in Nigeria are at the lowest in six years with most of them burdened by overdue short-term overseas obligations.

In the non-deliverable forwards market, according to the report, the naira’s 12-month contract is trading near a record low of N1,294.44 to the dollar.

The depreciation began in June 2023, after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) unified all segments of the forex exchange (FX) market, allowing the currency to trade more freely.

Thereafter, President Bola Tinubu scrapped the petrol subsidy.

The publication said the end of the petrol subsidy and naira depreciation fueled inflation, which is at 28.2 percent, while the benchmark interest rate is at 18.75 percent.

“The negative real interest rate has dissuaded overseas investors,” the report said.

Vetiva Capital Management Ltd told the publication that the naira may depreciate further unless Tinubu’s government attracts international investments or ramps up oil output.

Bloomberg’s prediction is at variance with that of Bismarck Rewane, chief executive officer, who said Nigeria’s exchange rate is expected to rise in 2024.

Olayemi Cardoso, the apex bank governor, also projected that exchange rate pressures are expected to reduce significantly in the coming year.

https://www.thecable.ng/bloomberg-predicts-naira-will-record-worst-performance-in-25years-in-2024/amp

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Bobloco: 8:21am On Dec 30, 2023
Tinubu is on track to become the worst President in the history of Nigeria.

162 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by kettykin: 8:22am On Dec 30, 2023
Bloomberg is now wailer or an ipob obedient. This is becoming something else.
Who else remembers how a section of the country that grew the Nigerian economy were blanketed and sectionalised as the dot in a circle

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Racoon(m): 8:23am On Dec 30, 2023
What else does the world expect when a bunch of grab it criminals with zilch knowledge of economics are mismanaging the economy?

129 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by insidelife22(m): 8:27am On Dec 30, 2023
It is written everywhere you don't need a prophet to tell you.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 8:30am On Dec 30, 2023
Shey BAT say na statistics we go chop..

Gbajue scholars like the white bearded corn professor is nowhere to be found.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by AqualinaXYZ: 8:31am On Dec 30, 2023
Joey4321:
I beg to differ.

I'm one of the people that didn't want the present government, but I don't think 2024 will be worse than 2023.

Keep begging to differ

Things are getting out of hand and all you could do is beg to differ

You can’t vote in a snail and you expect it to win a marathon race for you

Tinubu is useless and empty to woo to people who believed him from day one

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by oluztx: 8:33am On Dec 30, 2023
This is what happens when you allow afonjaas close to leadership. They think it's a tribal thing, my own and my friends. Same afonjaas elected Buhaari and now Tinnubu. In less than 6 months, this guy took Buhaari failure to max level. Dollar to naira went from 470 to 1300. I know an investor that invested million of dollars in Abuja development. He's been taking blood pressure drug and tramadol because his investment has lost 300% in value. Afonjaas are just suffering people for their foolishness of not voting competence. In fact, Afonjaas should be banned from getting visa and leaving this country. They must enjoy what they voted for out of tribal sentiments.

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by olril17(m): 8:33am On Dec 30, 2023
Data has no emotion no matter the propaganda.

As you were.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by olril17(m): 8:35am On Dec 30, 2023
you know

"Na statistics we go chop?"

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Faiththatworks(m): 8:37am On Dec 30, 2023
I believe there's a coordinated attempt to instill fear in the minds of Nigeria concerning 2024.
I read Dr Sobowale column in the Vanguard online edition today and I was really bemused and flabbergasted,his doom day prophecy concerning 2024 is worse than what Isreal faced in the bible during the famine and drought of Prophet Elijah.
He predicted food scarcity, currency scarcity,fuel scarcity,forex scarcity and concluded 2024 will be very difficult year for Nigerians.
Bloomberg has decided to follow the same pattern as the Dr of Doom by predicting the Nigerian currency will perform terribly in 2024 meaning expect more devaluation of the currency next year.
I beg to disagree with all these Messages of Doom being released by these so called experts,even when Baba Buhari with his Buharinomics was using 98% of our earnings to pay off foreign debt,the Naira didn't collapse.
These experts all have something in common,they always try to downplay the significant impact the Dangote Refinery and the port Harcourt refinery will have on the economy of Nigeria.
In the report by Bloomberg,they alluded that things will get better if Nigeria is able to produce more crude oil,I daresay Nigeria is already producing more,with local refining expected to Increase significantly in 2024, Nigeria will definitely produce more.
2024 is the year my country will turn a corner for good,like Dr Rewane said, revenues have increased by 200%,the states and local government have more money to work with.
I can testify to this because my mother's pension in Lagos state was increased by 105% in the month of December.
Naysayers should keep their message of Doom cos things are about to get better in Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.

28 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by NaijaCowFarm: 8:46am On Dec 30, 2023
Nothing good comes from a fraudulent thief.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Acidosis(m): 8:47am On Dec 30, 2023
olril17:
Data has no emotion no matter the propaganda.

As you were.

cool cool Data will not succumb to propaganda, sentiments, and prayers from Satan's syndicates. What we put in is what we get.

Microsoft Excel is more faithful and law abiding than everyone of us.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by PDJT: 8:50am On Dec 30, 2023
-Is there anyone in Nigeria who doesn't know this already?

-Show me a Nigerian who doesn't expect things to get worse going forward, then I will show you an obtuse deluded person.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by AwokenVawulence: 8:56am On Dec 30, 2023
Brace up

1 Like

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by iwaeda: 9:00am On Dec 30, 2023
politicoNG:

https://www.thecable.ng/bloomberg-predicts-naira-will-record-worst-performance-in-25years-in-2024/amp

Nlfpmod mynd44

APC sank, still sinking Nigetia. Nothing is working. Buhari and his Twin Tinubu are men of the antiques.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Joey4321: 9:13am On Dec 30, 2023
I beg to differ.

I'm one of the people that didn't want the present government, but I don't think 2024 will be worse than 2023.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by HarryGleb: 9:25am On Dec 30, 2023
Bobloco:
Tinubu is on track to become the worst President in the history of Nigeria.
He is already the worst. He can only break his own negative record.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by olril17(m): 9:27am On Dec 30, 2023
Acidosis:

cool cool Data will not succumb to propaganda, sentiments, and prayers from Satan's syndicates. What we put in is what we get.

Microsoft Excel is more faithful and law abiding than everyone of us.
very deep sir.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Quintessence44: 9:33am On Dec 30, 2023
Bloomberg’s prediction is at variance with that of Bismarck Rewane, chief executive officer, who said Nigeria’s exchange rate is expected to rise in 2024.

Olayemi Cardoso, the apex bank governor, also projected that exchange rate pressures are expected to reduce significantly in the coming year.

I GO WITH REWANE AND CARDOSO ON THIS ONE.

BLOOMBERG CAN GO TO HELL.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Quintessence44: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2023
Faiththatworks:
I believe there's a coordinated attempt to instill fear in the minds of Nigeria concerning 2024.
I read Dr Sobowale column in the Vanguard online edition today and I was really bemused and flabbergasted,his doom day prophecy concerning 2024 is worse than what Isreal faced in the bible during the famine and drought of Prophet Elijah.
He predicted food scarcity, currency scarcity,fuel scarcity,forex scarcity and concluded 2024 will be very difficult year for Nigerians.
Bloomberg has decided to follow the same pattern as the Dr of Doom by predicting the Nigerian currency will perform terribly in 2024 meaning expect more devaluation of the currency next year.
I beg to disagree with all these Messages of Doom being released by these so called experts,even when Baba Buhari with his Buharinomics was using 98% of our earnings to pay off foreign debt,the Naira didn't collapse.
These experts all have something in common,they always try to downplay the significant impact the Dangote Refinery and the port Harcourt refinery will have on the economy of Nigeria.
In the report by Bloomberg,they alluded that things will get better if Nigeria is able to produce more crude oil,I daresay Nigeria is already producing more,with local refining expected to Increase significantly in 2024, Nigeria will definitely produce more.
2024 is the year my country will turn a corner for good,like Dr Rewane said, revenues have increased by 200%,the states and local government have more money to work with.
I can testify to this because my mother's pension in Lagos state was increased by 105% in the month of December.
Naysayers should keep their message of Doom cos things are about to get better in Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.

Nigerian patriot.

Well spoken sir.

4 Likes

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by bigpicture001: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2023
i also read that article from the source..the OP didn't complete its copy nd past cuz there is an advertisement in the last quarter of the article separating it from the top...see the last piece here..

the OP gave an adverse conclusion of the subject matter

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Quintessence44: 9:44am On Dec 30, 2023
bigpicture001:
i also read that article from the source..the OP didn't complete its copy nd past cuz there is an advertisement in the last quarter of the article separating it from the top...see the last piece here..

the OP gave an adverse conclusion of the subject matter

Interesting omission by the OP. And a very mischievous one at that.

Thanks for this addition.

Some people just have bad mind for this country, I don't know why.

See how the guy just cooly removed the part that didn't serve his demonic mindset for the country!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Tjra: 9:49am On Dec 30, 2023
accordadoga21:
Hehehe

Some people are already rejoicing now.

Awon omo ale naija
As Peter Obi lose election, then any negative prediction against Nigeria is a sweet song to their ears.

They are not called children of hate, anger and prediction for nothing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Quintessence44: 9:57am On Dec 30, 2023
Tjra:

As Peter Obi lose election, then any negative prediction against Nigeria is a sweet song to their ears.

They are not called children of hate, anger and prediction for nothing.

It's really sad.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by illicit(m): 9:59am On Dec 30, 2023
Fokk Doomberg

🖕

1 Like

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Rich4god(m): 9:59am On Dec 30, 2023
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by SmartyPants(m): 9:59am On Dec 30, 2023
I hope we will also accept positive reports from Bloomberg too?

In any case, I have scrutinised the article and reject its conclusions. The projection of a weak naira is based on a projected inability to attract fresh foreign investment due to inflation.

This will mean a lower or stable inflow of fx.

However, this does not take into account the projected boost in oil exports and elimination of oil imports with the revival of local refining.
I will align myself with JP Morgan's, Moody's, and Bismark Rewane's projection of a strengthened naira in 2024.

Interestingly, Bloomberg has not gotten a single prediction on Nigeria correct - at least, not in the past 12 months.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by DDIA: 10:00am On Dec 30, 2023
grin
Good news for remote workers grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by omowolewa: 10:00am On Dec 30, 2023
The problem about head toward wrong direction is that, you have to head back over same distance before Starting the right journey.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subsidies: Sls Replies Critics. A Must Read / Adamawa Now Free Of Boko Haram — Nigerian Army / ABUJA ATTACK: True Identity Of @chimaokoro63 Revealed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.