Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 (14458 Views)

Anxiety In 25 States As Govs, 324 Others Move Against Election Results / 2023: Naira Will Hit ₦5,000 Per Dollar If.... – Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns / President Buhari Approves Review Of Grazing Reserves In 25 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by ogawisdom(m): 2:43pm On Dec 30, 2023
pipnator00:

Hope you are aware crude oil sellers insists they will only sell in USD to Dangote refinery? This increases the pressure on Naira unless Dangote refinery produces excess for export. Nigeria still has backlog of oil futures to fulfill plus, the backlog of USD belonging to foreign companies like Emirate airways and the rest which Nigeria is yet to clear because Nigeria have borrowed heavily against the external reserve and the reserve can't cover the backlog.

***Not an advise but I read somewhere here that AFRI-EXIM bank is gonna lend Nigeria some FX to clear those backlogs. (They will lend us more FX which in turn increases our FX denominated debt (pressure to the naira) and also our overall debt. This is like taking Panadol to suppress a headache that is destined that we MUST suffer) If that happen, it means Naira will gain. Just wait for naira to hit resistance and start loading up Naira sell. Naira will hit NGN2500 before then end of 2024.

It is illegal to sell crude oil to a company in Nigeria in USD, Dangote can take them to court, USD is not our legal tender.

1 Like

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by seguno2: 2:52pm On Dec 30, 2023
kettykin:
Do you need a thesis on who consolidated the Nigerian banks and made banks with trillion naira valuation, who worked very hard to pay of Nigeria's debt and under whose watch Nigeria had the fastest growing economy from 2020 till 2014 or who regulated the telecommunications industry and had the fastest telecommunications industry from 2020 till 2014.

Go and read and verify no insults

Are you not talking about a SECTION anymore and have changed to an individual?

2020 is after 2014.

If you have read and know what you are talking about, then you would simply say the details to back up your claim. EOD.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by fx45(m): 2:54pm On Dec 30, 2023
PDJT:
-Is there anyone in Nigeria who doesn't know this already?

-Show me a Nigerian who doesn't expect things to get worse going forward, then I will show you an obtuse deluded person.
Look three posts above you. There are such Nigerians... They're propelled mainly by tribalism and ethnic supremacy
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by RealEmilokan: 2:59pm On Dec 30, 2023
accordadoga21:
Hehehe

Some people are already rejoicing now.

Awon omo ale naija

May be if you have Dollars and Pounds, you'd love to be omo ale too? Too bad!

Omo Naija gidi, this is good news for me grin

Election have consequences. When people start to chop sansan, them go get sense.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by JudasNaKarrot: 3:02pm On Dec 30, 2023
Faiththatworks:
I believe there's a coordinated attempt to instill fear in the minds of Nigeria concerning 2024.
I read Dr Sobowale column in the Vanguard online edition today and I was really bemused and flabbergasted,his doom day prophecy concerning 2024 is worse than what Isreal faced in the bible during the famine and drought of Prophet Elijah.
He predicted food scarcity, currency scarcity,fuel scarcity,forex scarcity and concluded 2024 will be very difficult year for Nigerians.
Bloomberg has decided to follow the same pattern as the Dr of Doom by predicting the Nigerian currency will perform terribly in 2024 meaning expect more devaluation of the currency next year.
I beg to disagree with all these Messages of Doom being released by these so called experts,even when Baba Buhari with his Buharinomics was using 98% of our earnings to pay off foreign debt,the Naira didn't collapse.
These experts all have something in common,they always try to downplay the significant impact the Dangote Refinery and the port Harcourt refinery will have on the economy of Nigeria.
In the report by Bloomberg,they alluded that things will get better if Nigeria is able to produce more crude oil,I daresay Nigeria is already producing more,with local refining expected to Increase significantly in 2024, Nigeria will definitely produce more.
2024 is the year my country will turn a corner for good,like Dr Rewane said, revenues have increased by 200%,the states and local government have more money to work with.
I can testify to this because my mother's pension in Lagos state was increased by 105% in the month of December.
Naysayers should keep their message of Doom cos things are about to get better in Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.
Your mother, you say. Well, there's no need arguing with someone who doesn't know right from left.....someone who still eats "Mama thank you"
My dear Child, just go and relax ok. This section is for matured people who know what the economy is all about, and not for kiddos.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by correctguy101(m): 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2023
DeepSight:

Being hopeful, optimistic and patriotic does not mean we close our eyes to facts . Circa N200 to the dollar in 2015 to circa N1,200 to the dollar today speaks all that needs to be spoken. Anyone who can deny the problem here is simply determined to close his eyes . As a saying goes - it is extremely difficult to wake a man who is pretending to be asleep.

Fact bros...

And your adage is on point.

There's hardly any order in the country. Everything is just left to run itself anyhow the "itchy handed" officials are comfy with.

Some will say we don't pay tax. Yet they'll pretend they don't know of the illegal collections Nigerians pay each day... And it's totally dubious to say these same officials are not taking their shares each day.

The disorder is mostly beneficial to these groups.

Don't be surprised that the average Nigerian person does not even understand the entire problem plaguing the nation. Oh, I'm not claiming to be too smart, I'm lazy cheesy .

But I've noticed several people these days, applauding and claiming our General Buhari and his tenure was better...

They fail to realize the problem is even before Buhari and even Ya'ardua.... Anyone that has ever been in the governance of this great nation is guilty for the current state of the nation. The whole lot of them are parasites.

So, how can anyone help such kinda people to fix anything?

It's exasperating seeing stupid people everywhere. Especially those eediots WaZoBia group. They're mostly the people segregating and destroying this country.

Ah,..

1 Like

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by InvertedHammer: 3:17pm On Dec 30, 2023
/
At least N2500 by December 2024.

/
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by pipnator00(m): 3:20pm On Dec 30, 2023
To be very honest with you, I share same sentiment as you and I like how you concluded your comment with this phrase, "that requires good governance". Having good governance is what I haven't seen us having with what's on ground, hence my prediction that Naira will continue to lose strength. Once the Afriexim loan lands, the Naira will gain temporary strength until AWON boy butchers it again!

****Even if Dangote refinery operates at maximum capacity, that's including exporting to bring in FX to Nigeria that wouldn't still be enough to save Nigeria. We can't count on just one man to save a country of how many millions. As you wrote, we need good governance and I subscribe to that.

On another note, I blame Buhari for some of these problems we face today. Why do I say so? He came in with a very popular vote and larger supporter base. That's enough for him to introduce strong reforms like floating the naira. If he had done that when he came in, maybe Naira would have risen sharply from around 200 then to say 700 and maybe settle to around 350 to 400 now but no, he chose to kill time for 8years.

higgs:
The loan from Afrexim bank will certainly help.However,increased crude oil production is very important. Security is also very important so that farmers can safely work in their farms as this will reduce food importation.Even if Dangote buys crude oil in USD,there will still be a net reduction in fx demand due to associated freight charges and when his refinery achieves steady state and is producing at close to full capacity, he will start exportation which will still improve the fx situation. The naira will be strong and stable if Nigeria can be self sufficient in food and fuel but that requires good governance. [author=pipnator00 post=127692484]

Hope you are aware crude oil sellers insists they will only sell in USD to Dangote refinery? This increases the pressure on Naira unless Dangote refinery produces excess for export. Nigeria still has backlog of oil futures to fulfill plus, the backlog of USD belonging to foreign companies like Emirate airways and the rest which Nigeria is yet to clear because Nigeria have borrowed heavily against the external reserve and the reserve can't cover the backlog.

***Not an advise but I read somewhere here that AFRI-EXIM bank is gonna lend Nigeria some FX to clear those backlogs. (They will lend us more FX which in turn increases our FX denominated debt (pressure to the naira) and also our overall debt. This is like taking Panadol to suppress a headache that is destined that we MUST suffer) If that happen, it means Naira will gain. Just wait for naira to hit resistance and start loading up Naira sell. Naira will hit NGN2500 before then end of 2024.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by pipnator00(m): 3:25pm On Dec 30, 2023
ogawisdom:

It is illegal to sell crude oil to a company in Nigeria in USD, Dangote can take them to court, USD is not our legal tender.

Like I wrote, they insist they will only sell in USD to Dangote. Remember, most of the oil majors we have in Nigeria are foreign companies. They have people they already sell to outside Nigeria in USD. They would leave those to come sell to Dangote in Naira that continues to lose value. You sef check am!
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Faiththatworks(m): 3:28pm On Dec 30, 2023
JudasNaKarrot:
Your mother, you say. Well, there's no need arguing with someone who doesn't know right from left.....someone who still eats "Mama thank you"
My dear Child, just go and relax ok. This section is for matured people who know what the economy is all about, and not for kiddos.

I usually make it a rule never to reply anyone on Nairaland but I don't expect civil conversation to sink into name calling and insults.
I take exceptions to your message and I believe I must reply you,my mother is a retired civil servant in Lagos and has been bed ridden for some years.
Due to her sickness,and inability to go to the bank,her account officer adviced me to connect her bank account to my BVN,and also use my phone number to collect alerts,that's how I know her salary.
I can proudly say she has her own house and is attended to by nurses and care givers,I don't know how a bed ridden woman can feed me.
Like I said,civil conversation should never descend to insults and abuses to people you don't know or have never met before.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by rigarmortis: 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2023
accordadoga21:
Hehehe

Some people are already rejoicing now.

Awon omo ale naija

I don't understand why you are concerned about their rejoicing. Why don't you do something to make them sad by making Nigeria better and pain, hunger, kidnapping, banditry etc gone.

Do the above and let them cry, if you think had news makes them happy. Because right now it seems they are happy at least twice a day and thrice on Sunday
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Tohmey(m): 3:33pm On Dec 30, 2023
No joy for the country
Mehn. . . .
The country on the sinking side
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by allthingsgood: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2023
Bobloco:
Tinubu is on track to become the worst President in the history of Nigeria.

That’s what you guys say about every President. Lol

1 Like

Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by ogawisdom(m): 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2023
pipnator00:

Like I wrote, they insist they will only sell in USD to Dangote. Remember, most of the oil majors we have in Nigeria are foreign companies. They have people they already sell to outside Nigeria in USD. They would leave those to come sell to Dangote in Naira that continues to lose value. You sef check am!

People or companies are governed by laws, how hard is that for you to understand? Naira is our legal tender not USD. It's illegal to conduct business in Nigeria in USD, get that into your thick skull.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by NinjaMetahuman: 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2023
Bloomberg didn't tell us how that is going to happen.

Considering Nigeria will depend less on importation of petrol next year.

Another nonsense prediction based on nothing.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Kukutenla: 4:01pm On Dec 30, 2023
NovusHomo:

For now, no. But 2038 is still fourteen years away. That's a long time for Wike to prepare.
How did his preparation towards 2023 end?
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Bobloco: 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2023
allthingsgood:

That’s what you guys say about every President. Lol

This one is turning out the worst of them all
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Kukutenla: 4:05pm On Dec 30, 2023
Jayhome24:

Mr man I don't make noise about my prediction I had just told you the truth unless wike say he do not want to then it is Edo people turn in person of imomulen if wike pull out. Thanks.

Good day
Why will Wike say no when he is still bitter for losing 2023 primaries
Anyways, your prediction is not worth the letters it is written.
Wike has a big task in front of him more than any other southern politician of worth. So he'll need to survive politically first before your empty prediction comes to pass
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:06pm On Dec 30, 2023
bloomberg is not GOD. angry SO SHUT UP bloomberg angry
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2023
PARADIZEPRIEST:
bloomberg is not GOD. angry SO SHUT UP bloomberg angry
SO WHY DIDNT SOCALLED BLOOMBERG PREDICT THAT MILLIONS OF AMERICANS DIEd during covid? IDIOTS.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by PHAYOL81: 4:18pm On Dec 30, 2023
Too bad
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by pipnator00(m): 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2023
ogawisdom:

People or companies are governed by laws, how hard is that for you to understand? Naira is our legal tender not USD. It's illegal to conduct business in Nigeria in USD, get that into your thick skull.

Did you miss where I wrote the oil majors we have are foreign companies. All they do in Nigeria is exploration, and their sell side is foreign based. Their oil may be in Nigeria but should they sell to Dangote, their foreign based sell side will execute such sell and it will be handled in USD.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by comodo: 4:24pm On Dec 30, 2023
politicoNG:

https://www.thecable.ng/bloomberg-predicts-naira-will-record-worst-performance-in-25years-in-2024/amp

Na statistics we go chop?. Make una no mind this IPOB organization. Tinubu said we are taking baby steps and I believe him. On his manhood I stand gidigba.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by allthingsgood: 4:29pm On Dec 30, 2023
Bobloco:

This one is turning out the worst of them all

K
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by COMPAQ(m): 5:03pm On Dec 30, 2023
Racoon:
What else does the world expect when a bunch of grab it criminals with zilch knowledge of economics are mismanaging the economy?

So what’s your own solution to the economy?

Just give us 5 bullet points
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by COMPAQ(m): 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2023
ogawisdom:

Dey there. Crude is an international commodity, so there are other international laws and contracts that also govern it, not just your local laws.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by BALLOSKI: 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2023
Their mama!
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Calitoscassius(m): 7:21pm On Dec 30, 2023
We don't need bloomberg to predict or tell us we can see it for ourselves. By December 2024 the naira will be $1= 3000 naira. Whether people agree or not.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by NovusHomo(m): 7:21pm On Dec 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

How did his preparation towards 2023 end?

Ask him.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by KayyDee: 8:04pm On Dec 30, 2023
I see that you are quite a student of economics.

That's some good analysis up there.

However, you got a few things wrong too.

1) Currently NG no longer operate "crude exchange for refined products" (otherwise called swap deal).

It had been abolished for several months now.

Marketers import Petro products after sourcing their own FOREX...

...while producers now sell their oil as they see fit.

2) When I said that there will be NET FOREX gain, but it will be small, I had it in mind that transport cost component of pressure on crude will be eliminated.

But do you know what percentage represents the crude transport costs?

It's generally around 2.5 % to Europe or from Europe

It's a number of course, and that represent a potential saving...
But again it's somewhat a negligible figure in the grander scheme of things.

Therefore you can't bank on that to move your FOREX niddle that much.

3) REFINERY PROCESSING GAINS

What we call refinery processing gain ( or as you put it: "because Dangote will be bringing in more fx per ton of products sold than mere crude"wink will also play a part.

However, again these are not a huge difference.

4) "Dangote and others will still sell a significant portion on the international market."

In this case, let us first bear in mind that whatever quantity they sell in the international market, will mean that they had first denied NG ab initio some Forex gains on that quantity.

Therefore, we are still looking at recovery and a NET Forex gains in terms of what they had denied Nigeria.

ALL-IN-ALL

There should be a NET FX gain as I said already in the last piece.

But it will still not ve sufficient in making our beloved Nairs move up against the USD that much.

Ask yourself, why is everyone (experts) in the international financial market and advisory groups not doing drum roll celebration about the refinery?

VERDICT:

The Dangote refinery (and others) are great additions, but they will together represent not up to 5% of what we need to see significant gain by Naira.

However, it's great that are there. Therefore if FG can ramp up other areas like FDI, Diaspora remittances, more non-oil exports, then together they should make a good difference.

Otherwise, it's next to impossible fir USD to come to N700 in 2024.

REMEMBER;
Our external reserves are already very low.

No body is talking about that.

But it's a significant issue, because it means that the pressure of foreign debt servicing will be much more on our ongoing earnings too (instead of mostly on the reserves)

AGAIN,
As you mentioned somewhere up there, More favourable interest rates, inflation, etc may not necessarily automatically spur the volume of FDI we need in the economy.

Of course some will come definitely. But then many more Foreigners are still skeptical because of the still prevailing volatility and downward swing of the Naira.

Hence, many investors will like to have FG address that first through other home grown means, then their confidence will grow and more investors could now come.

After all, nobody wants to invest $10 million , and when it's time to harvest, the value is now wort $8 million due to devaluation.

Even worse, getting the money out of Nigeria to their home country could be a challenge.

So, you can say that when it comes to FDI and FPi, Nigeria is in a kind of catch-22 situation.

That is:
On one hand, We need investors to help us raise the Naira.

On the other hand, majority of the investors are afraid, and want us to raise and stabilize the naira somewhat before they can have confidence and come.

Pen drops (for now)

SmartyPants:

Thank you for attempting to explain things clearly to me, however, you've gotten several things significantly wrong.

1. Nigeria currently loses a huge chunk of potential fx income from our crude already since what we have been doing is exchanging crude for refined product. So in terms of fx income from crude sales, allocating the quantity that was previously exchanged for refined product to Dangote and other local refineries means a maintenance of the status quo. Nothing much changes.

But that also means we're not losing fx on transport costs either. So there is a net fx savings simply because we're eliminating transport costs.

2. As you rightly mentioned, Dangote and others will still sell a significant portion on the international market. In fact, because Dangote will be selling refined products, he will be bringing in more fx per ton of products sold than mere crude. There will be significant fx income here to add to the previous fx savings - which are adding up to a reduction in pressure on the naira.

3. There are other factors at play besides oil. While foreign portfolio investment should drop as a result of a negative real interest rate, due to inflation - which is what the Bloomberg article addresses, inflation is beneficial to foreign direct investors who know that their dollar will buy them much more in naira than before. Additionally, with the liberalisation of the fx regime, foreign investors have fewer concerns about their ability to repatriate their domestic income - a significant challenge that affected previous investors, particularly the airline industry. The summary is that losses in FPI will almost certainly be replaced or surpassed by gains in FDI.

At worst, the naira should stay stable but I would bet on it strengthening to 600 - 750 or thereabouts and holding there, with all things remaining equal. Other variables are power, security and political factors.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by Gilgil: 9:43pm On Dec 30, 2023
Using 2023 data, and the policy direction of this government. Straight to the point:

1. For scarcity: Will increase. Insecurity from bandits and herdsmen, flooding, poor storage and transport. Recent reports that foreigners are buying off products thereby increasing price. What’s the budget for agriculture?

2. Currency scarcity. It’s already here. It costs money to print more.

3. Fuel scarcity: Not necessarily scarcity but higher price. Dangote is not a charity, neither is Ph refinery. Subsidy as they said is gone and even if it is not, there is no money for it.

4. Forex scarcity will increase. Even though any refinery will reduce that portion of forex demand allocated to petrol and diesel,it’s a small component and we have huge remittance backlogs to creditors and airlines. Plus we manufacture nothing of interest to the world.

Faiththatworks:
I believe there's a coordinated attempt to instill fear in the minds of Nigeria concerning 2024.
I read Dr Sobowale column in the Vanguard online edition today and I was really bemused and flabbergasted,his doom day prophecy concerning 2024 is worse than what Isreal faced in the bible during the famine and drought of Prophet Elijah.
He predicted food scarcity, currency scarcity,fuel scarcity,forex scarcity and concluded 2024 will be very difficult year for Nigerians.
Bloomberg has decided to follow the same pattern as the Dr of Doom by predicting the Nigerian currency will perform terribly in 2024 meaning expect more devaluation of the currency next year.
I beg to disagree with all these Messages of Doom being released by these so called experts,even when Baba Buhari with his Buharinomics was using 98% of our earnings to pay off foreign debt,the Naira didn't collapse.
These experts all have something in common,they always try to downplay the significant impact the Dangote Refinery and the port Harcourt refinery will have on the economy of Nigeria.
In the report by Bloomberg,they alluded that things will get better if Nigeria is able to produce more crude oil,I daresay Nigeria is already producing more,with local refining expected to Increase significantly in 2024, Nigeria will definitely produce more.
2024 is the year my country will turn a corner for good,like Dr Rewane said, revenues have increased by 200%,the states and local government have more money to work with.
I can testify to this because my mother's pension in Lagos state was increased by 105% in the month of December.
Naysayers should keep their message of Doom cos things are about to get better in Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Bloomberg Predicts Naira Will Record Worst Performance In 25 Years In 2024 by justmondris: 9:50pm On Dec 30, 2023
omowolewa:
The problem about head toward wrong direction is that, you have to head back over same distance before Starting the right journey.
Just they play.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osun Election: Omisore, PDP Head For Tribunal / President Buhari Meets With Security Chiefs On Kaduna Killings / How Doyin Okupe Received N702 Million From Ex-nsa Dasuki ‘for Doing Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.