Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,680 members, 7,813,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem (10513 Views)

Ice Prince X Brymo - Oleku (throwback Mp3) / Wizkid Ft. Davido, Ice Prince, Fuse Odg, Rihanna, Cardi B (official Audio) / LYRICS: Major Lazer Ft Nasty C, Ice Prince, Patoranking & Jidenna – Particula (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by UncleSnr(m): 12:23pm On Dec 31, 2023
Nigerian rapper, Ice Prince, asserts that his 2011 track “Oleku” marked the genesis of the “Afrobeats” genre. Asserting that his team consciously added an “s” to Fela Kuti’s “Afrobeat” label, Ice Prince contends that this alteration was pivotal in differentiating their new sound.

In a recent interview with Echoo Room, Ice Prince emphasized the significance when “Oleku” received airplay on BBC Radio, branding it as one of the earliest Afrobeats tracks to attain such recognition. Ice Prince avowed, “They [foreign DJs] didn’t know what to call our music and they couldn’t call it Afrobeat. So, we [I and my team] told them to put an ‘s’ it to make it Afrobeats.”

Ice Prince further challenged the commonly held belief that Ghanaian-British DJ Abrantee is credited with coining the term “Afrobeats,” asserting that it was their directive to use the label. He queried, “If not tell me who came up with the ‘s’ at the end? A lot of people said it is credited to DJ Abrante, but guess what? Abrante was the one that playlisted the song ‘Oleku.’ That’s my own claim, o!”

https://mediatalkafrica.com/139935/ice-prince-claims-oleku-was-the-inaugural-afrobeats-anthem/

15 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by illicit(m): 12:27pm On Dec 31, 2023
🕶️

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Johnycastro18: 12:48pm On Dec 31, 2023
Lols, claiming to be the first....

Let's just hope that blackface will not come and claim he is the real owner of the "oleku" song grin

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by saddler: 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2023
cool
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by shadrach77: 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2023
Pure trash! Wizkid's "Pakurumo" and Davido's "Dami Duro" all came before Oleku

He is just trying to make himself relevant cry

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by jojothaiv(m): 4:31pm On Dec 31, 2023
Lol!

His verse on Money Freestyle is still lit

4 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by UrgentNeeds(m): 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2023
Johnycastro18:
Lols, claiming to be the first....

Let's just hope that blackface will not come and claim he is the real owner of the "oleku" song grin
Omo, Wait I dey come.

Make I go call Black Face Come First....

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Emperor4tune(m): 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2023
what a failed career,the other day he brag on how he became the middle man bringing wizkid and davido together,i think iceprince is on ice (mkpurumini)

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by mrjoeblinks: 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2023
Ehen?
Oleku doesn't sound Afro to me though but it's a great jam shekinah!

16 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Wuless82(m): 4:33pm On Dec 31, 2023
UncleSnr:
Nigerian rapper, Ice Prince, asserts that his 2011 track “Oleku” marked the genesis of the “Afrobeats” genre. Asserting that his team consciously added an “s” to Fela Kuti’s “Afrobeat” label, Ice Prince contends that this alteration was pivotal in differentiating their new sound.

In a recent interview with Echoo Room, Ice Prince emphasized the significance when “Oleku” received airplay on BBC Radio, branding it as one of the earliest Afrobeats tracks to attain such recognition. Ice Prince avowed, “They [foreign DJs] didn’t know what to call our music and they couldn’t call it Afrobeat. So, we [I and my team] told them to put an ‘s’ it to make it Afrobeats.”

Ice Prince further challenged the commonly held belief that Ghanaian-British DJ Abrantee is credited with coining the term “Afrobeats,” asserting that it was their directive to use the label. He queried, “If not tell me who grin grin came up with the ‘s’ at the end? A lot of people said it is credited to DJ Abrante, but guess what? Abrante was the one that playlisted the song ‘Oleku.’ That’s my own claim, o!”

https://mediatalkafrica.com/139935/ice-prince-claims-oleku-was-the-inaugural-afrobeats-anthem/

So what happened since then. Abi other artists borrowed your voice and didn't return it to you 🤷🤷🤷

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:33pm On Dec 31, 2023
Him try.....

But definitely NAH!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by oka4ugoo: 4:35pm On Dec 31, 2023
How this guy career take nosedive still dey surprise me

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Patriotic9ja(m): 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2023
KingTundeX:
black face is typing

Lol 😆 😂 😜. Black ⚫️ Face is still typing 🤣 😂

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by faceland: 4:41pm On Dec 31, 2023
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by FreeStuffsNG: 4:42pm On Dec 31, 2023
UncleSnr:

Ice Prince further challenged the commonly held belief that Ghanaian-British DJ Abrantee is credited with coining the term “Afrobeats,” asserting that it was their directive to use the label. He queried, “If not tell me who came up with the ‘s’ at the end? A lot of people said it is credited to DJ Abrante, but guess what? Abrante was the one that playlisted the song ‘Oleku.’ That’s my own claim, o!”

Very inaccurate.

He is dishing out outright falsehood and he's not different from those lying that Nollywood started with the home video Living In Bondage when even years before it was released Late Aromire had been releasing back to back home videos.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Sonnobax15(m): 4:43pm On Dec 31, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by SmartyPants(m): 4:46pm On Dec 31, 2023
D'Banj is who I'd consider the true pioneer of afrobeats but the point Ice Prince is making, if you watch the video, is that the person who first coined the afrobeats name did it after listening to Oleku.

12 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by regaliaregalia: 4:51pm On Dec 31, 2023

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by femi4: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2023
Tanimolaajo:
If he think so Sha...
liar

Wetin 2face keep rocking go talk

3 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by azpekuliar: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2023
Emperor4tune:
what a failed career,the other day he brag on how he became the middle man bringing wizkid and davido together,i think iceprince is on ice (mkpurumini)

cheesy
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by tragergeorge(m): 5:00pm On Dec 31, 2023
Definitely

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by akwesenana: 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2023
Oleku was unambiguously a rap song. No Afrobeats there.

10 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by grandstar(m): 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2023
It should be called afropops and not afrobeats
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by ABC101FF: 5:21pm On Dec 31, 2023
Ogbeni enter studio and stop to dey miscap.

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by ObaKlaz: 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2023
No be only Oleku, na Action Bitters.

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Ohraykon: 5:32pm On Dec 31, 2023
what matters is has he done his part in the naija music industry

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9ice – Living Things (Video) / Lynxxx - My Place [video Download] / The Headies Awards 2013 Nomination List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.