Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem (10569 Views)

Ice Prince X Brymo - Oleku (throwback Mp3) / Wizkid Ft. Davido, Ice Prince, Fuse Odg, Rihanna, Cardi B (official Audio) / LYRICS: Major Lazer Ft Nasty C, Ice Prince, Patoranking & Jidenna – Particula (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by bigdawg7: 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2023
Iceprince was legendary but he fell off

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by ukaface(f): 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
Icey prince zamani

I thought he would make it big after the oleku song dropped
Rather he was singing ‘……….. Aboki Aboki upandan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Kilometres: 6:33pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:
Pure trash! Wizkid's "Pakurumo" and Davido's "Dami Duro" all came before Oleku

He is just trying to make himself relevant cry

Pakurumo and Oleku were released same year 2011.

Dami duro was released in 2012

6 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Vinnie2000(m): 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:

You are so VERY wrong. undecided

Oleku came out Mid 2010.

Wizkid's Holla at your Boy (In the Album which has Pakurumo) came out Late 2010.

Davido's Damiduro came out Early 2012. smiley

I know these Things because we were University Undergraduate then,
And Boys used to follow Music then. smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by boxypane(m): 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2023
Afrobeats was suppose to be a genre of music that spoke for the common people and for the good of a nation... These riff-raffs turned it into a sex tape.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by PepeXKermit: 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:

You dey ok so?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by shonepa(m): 7:40pm On Dec 31, 2023
Make dem define afrobeats na, cos one artiste talk say na "Cruise"
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by greypencils: 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2023
You want to trend after a century of dormancy. You've been noticed.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Wotowotoman: 8:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:

You are talking trash. Pure trash. At least do your research before sounding so ignorant. I feel like giving you a hot konk on that your bald head I swear angry

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BinamRex: 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:

Oleku is the most remixed song in Africa. It was a bigger hit than the songs you mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Wotowotoman: 8:06pm On Dec 31, 2023
ukaface:
Icey prince zamani

Do you know Aboki is his greatest hitt after Oleku? I feel like giving you a hot konk on that your large forehead I swear angry

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BinamRex: 8:07pm On Dec 31, 2023
ukaface:
Icey prince zamani

The Aboki song was a hit whether you like it or not
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Roboto11: 8:18pm On Dec 31, 2023
shadrach77:

No they didn't.

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by leTrizzle: 8:29pm On Dec 31, 2023
It's probably still the most remixed naija track.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by oshiokpu(m): 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2023
Don’t know about his claim.. but Oleku was Big men!
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Ray369: 9:13pm On Dec 31, 2023
Kilometres:

Pakurumo and Oleku were released same year 2011.

Dami duro was released in 2012
Naso Dem go dey compare wizkid with davido..Dem no be mate ... wizkid came in before davido and is still relevant till date ..no dey mix Dem together... heirachy dey game
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Ray369: 9:14pm On Dec 31, 2023
BinamRex:

The Aboki song was a hit whether you like it or not
Superstar nko?
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by nairamaniac: 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2023
Some of the psquare songs were earlier afrobeats anthems.
Do me (2007). Bizzy body(2005)

What about STREET CREDIBILITY by NICE Ft. Tuface?

WHY ME (Dbanj)

All these were anthems. And they were all before Oleku.

Even though Oleku was a great jam.
I prefared Aboki (remix) though.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Xtraterestial: 10:37pm On Dec 31, 2023
Psquare is the first popular afro beat cross over artist, with do me, this was the first main track that took afrobeat worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mHMWO_-mM&si=90G2R_T6cPv-0LGQ
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by JamiuOkola(m): 11:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
bigdawg7:
Iceprince was legendary but he fell off
Bro, mid-2010's Ice was a monster. It breaks my heart when I see these Gen Z kids disrespect him. At his peak, he was the hottest rapper in the industry. Even M.I gats shift for am. He was one of the first Nigerian artistes to actually go international. This guy was chilling with Jay Z! Every track he jumped on, he killed it. Oleku, Superstar, Aboki, Juju, N-word, just to name a few.

It's a pity he didn't keep the fire burning for long. Rumor had it he was in a serious relationship with one babe and that one cheated on him and the whole break-up thing affected him in a way. He's stiil got it though, dropping some nice jams these last couple of years. 'Make up your mind' ft Tekno and 'Kolo' with Oxlade are great tunes.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by bigdawg7: 11:14pm On Dec 31, 2023
lol bro you didn't even talk about his fashion sense, iceprince was that guy fr! my favourite tracks of iceprince was whiskey and more
JamiuOkola:
Bro, mid-2010's Ice was a monster. It breaks my heart when I see these Gen Z kids disrespect him. At his peak, he was the hottest rapper in the industry. Even M.I gats shift for am. He was one of the first Nigerian artistes to actually go international. This guy was chilling with Jay Z! Every track he jumped on, he killed it. Oleku, Superstar, Aboki, Juju, N-word, just to name a few.

It's a pity he didn't keep the fire burning for long. Rumor had it he was in a serious relationship with one babe and that one cheated on him and the whole break-up thing affected him in a way. He's stiil got it though, dropping some nice jams these last couple of years. 'Make up your mind' ft Tekno and 'Kolo' with Oxlade are great tunes.

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 12:43am On Jan 01
ukaface:
Icey prince zamani I thought he would make it big after the oleku song dropped Rather he was singing ‘……….. Aboki Aboki upandan

A blissful new year. Good health & prosperity.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BinamRex: 12:47am On Jan 01
Ray369:

Superstar nko?

Superstar was also a hit. He has many hit songs, as a solo artist and as a member of Choc Boys.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BuyMeBanger: 2:16am On Jan 01
I don't understand, why are you guys not supporting this guy seeing as he is taking away Ghana's claim of creating the genre which to me is a plus. There is a YT vid out there were DJ Abrantee himself debunks the claim that he coined the name 'Afrobeats'.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BeanmanX(m): 8:20am On Jan 01
Johnycastro18:
Lols, claiming to be the first....

Let's just hope that blackface will not come and claim he is the real owner of the "oleku" song grin
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by tunize(m): 8:28am On Jan 01
femi4:
liar

Wetin 2face keep rocking go talk
2face as at this time does more of Afro pop and Rnb not afrobeats
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by BeanmanX(m): 8:29am On Jan 01
ukaface:
Icey prince zamani

"Aboki" was a hit, you definitely don't know anything.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by Branduche: 8:59am On Jan 01
Google things first before misusing the QWERTY keypad. Use the keyword “ Oleku release dates” into the search box
shadrach77:

Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by MSN1(m): 11:29am On Jan 01
UncleSnr:
Nigerian rapper, Ice Prince, asserts that his 2011 track “Oleku” marked the genesis of the “Afrobeats” genre. Asserting that his team consciously added an “s” to Fela Kuti’s “Afrobeat” label, Ice Prince contends that this alteration was pivotal in differentiating their new sound.

In a recent interview with Echoo Room, Ice Prince emphasized the significance when “Oleku” received airplay on BBC Radio, branding it as one of the earliest Afrobeats tracks to attain such recognition. Ice Prince avowed, “They [foreign DJs] didn’t know what to call our music and they couldn’t call it Afrobeat. So, we [I and my team] told them to put an ‘s’ it to make it Afrobeats.”

Ice Prince further challenged the commonly held belief that Ghanaian-British DJ Abrantee is credited with coining the term “Afrobeats,” asserting that it was their directive to use the label. He queried, “If not tell me who came up with the ‘s’ at the end? A lot of people said it is credited to DJ Abrante, but guess what? Abrante was the one that playlisted the song ‘Oleku.’ That’s my own claim, o!”

https://mediatalkafrica.com/139935/ice-prince-claims-oleku-was-the-inaugural-afrobeats-anthem/
African Queen
Do Me
Kukere
Oleku
Still remain the dopest jamz to come out of Naija.
Re: Ice Prince Claims “oleku” Was The Inaugural Afrobeats Anthem by ukaface(f): 11:37am On Jan 01
BeanmanX:
"Aboki" was a hit, you definitely don't know anything.
You can’t say I don’t know anything because of a supposedly hit song that I didn’t think made wave compared to oleku.
You could do your corrections stating facts rather than saying ‘ don’t know anything’

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BET Awards Cypher: Mos Def, Blackthought And Eminem / Da Grin If I Die Lyrics / Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me (music)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.