Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,116 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires (220 Views)

Ronaldo Is Building £7million Mansion For His Family's Use When He Retires / Sergio Aguero: Why I Rejected Messi’s No.10 Jersey / Frank Lampard Pays Tribute To Drogba As He Retires, Calls Him "Monster" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by AImiron: 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2023
Lionel Messi may still be suiting up for Argentina, but his national team is planning a tribute for him once he officially retires from international soccer. Argentine Football Association president Claudio Tapia said on Saturday that the organization will retire Messi's No. 10 jersey, previously worn by Diego Maradona. The plans to honor Messi's ongoing legacy comes after he won the 2022 World Cup, the nation's first title since 1986, as well as the 2021 Copa America.

"When Messi retires from the national team, we will not allow anyone else to wear the number 10 after him," Tapia said in a press conference. "This number 10 will be retired for life in his honor. It's the least we can do for him."

Messi has yet to announce his retirement from the national team and is expected to be part of the fold at next summer's Copa America, when the team will mount their title defense in an expanded version of the competition hosted in the United States. The 36-year-old, though, recognizes that he is close to the end of his career and cannot guarantee that he will compete for Argentina for the 2026 World Cup co-hosted by the U.S., Mexico and Canada.

"I am not thinking about the World Cup and I am not saying 100 percent that I will not be there because anything can happen," he said in an interview earlier this month. "Given my age, the most normal thing is that I will not be there. Then we will see to what extent. Maybe we do well in the Copa America and we continue. Maybe not. Being realistic is difficult."

Retiring numbers is a common phenomenon in the club game but has not become a way to honor players for their national team accomplishments. It is also unclear if FIFA rules allow for the AFA to retire Messi's number since world soccer's governing body requires players to wear all numbers from one to 23 during official competitions.

The AFA previously attempted to retire the No. 10 as a tribute to Maradona, but FIFA turned down the request, per Reuters. It is unclear if the organization would be interested in changing their rules this time around.

source: CBSsport

Nlfpmod mynd44 frontpage boss

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by God1000(m): 5:12pm On Dec 31, 2023
Hmm, what a great honor

But I think this is unnecessary, heroes are born everyday.

Back then no one ever thought another hero like maradona would emerge

3 Likes

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by AImiron: 5:17pm On Dec 31, 2023
God1000:
Hmm, what a great honor

But I think this is unnecessary, heroes are born everyday.

Back then no one ever thought another hero like maradona would emerge
Well, there can never be another Messi, that explains why they wish to take the decision.

1 Like

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by God1000(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2023
AImiron:
Well, there can never be another Messi, that explains why they wish to take the decision.
never say never brother

2 Likes

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by insidelife22(m): 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2023
AImiron:
Well, there can never be another fraud like Messi, that explains why they wish to take the decision so people won't insult his country because of him.

I don't think Messi deserves this insult from you.
Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by brain54(m): 5:30pm On Dec 31, 2023
Messi is a great player no doubt...

His achievements are not contestable.

However I see no point in retiring any jersey number to honor any player.

That no 10 jersey might just be the motivation another "young Messi" needs to prove a point.

There are other ways to honor Messi or any other player.

Legends are born every day!

3 Likes

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by GanagiBitrus: 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2023
There are a thousand &one better ways to honor Messi.
Retiring the #10 may even be counter-productive.

1 Like

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by bigdawg7: 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2023
Me on the other hand would definitely stop watching football when messi retire

2 Likes

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by AImiron: 6:45pm On Dec 31, 2023
God1000:
never say never brother
well i stand to be corrected, there will be thousands if not millions of pendu, he never even retire you go dey this players dey ball like pendu, ever since you dey watch Leo till now, you don ever hear dey say this player is the next Messi, thats the reason behind my initial statement, not even his kids... so bro there will be more exceptional players in the future, but none will be compared with Leo. He's one of kind

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by AImiron: 6:46pm On Dec 31, 2023
nlfpmod frontpage boss
Re: Argentina FA Boss Wants To Retire Lionel Messi's No. 10 Once He Retires by mayor1814: 2:04pm On Jan 01
Well deserved honour given to Messi. This honour further cements the fact that LIONEL MESSI IS THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER EVER. This is an honour that can never be given to any player in football history. We all witnessed and still witnessing Messi magnificent exploits on the field of play.

Will they retire the number of other great players? No is the answer. That honour only belongs to Messi.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Sporting Fans / The Greatest Upset In Modern African Football. / Watch Live: Ghana Versus Nigeria-international Friendly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.