Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,859 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K (25083 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Alpharey: 4:33pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:
Wait until dangote refinery is complete. A dollar will exchange for 150 naira then and all japarians will be miserable.

Let me have a hearty laugh🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Until Dangote refinery starts working.
What happened to Nigerian refineries. Why can't they be fixed. If I criticize, they will call me enemy of state, even though I was not amongst people who liquidated all the refineries and other government owned infrastructure.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by VanessaKokomama(f): 4:34pm On Jan 03
Final year student finding it difficult to write project or seminar DM me now ooooh I'm AVAILABLE 😊👍☝️✅
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by mechoau(m): 4:34pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

Cc:Justwise

If you have the resources, i would advise you to leave that 200k you said is my daily pay if converted to naira. Do the maths, let’s say i work a long day shift 7:30-9:00pm, i.e 13hrs :30mins @ the rate of £11.50 per hr this gives £155.25 then multiply ( convert ) to current rate let’s even say 1540naira to £1, that gives you 239,085 naira.

Note: this is not even Saturday rate or Sunday rate where the rate is double pay( x2)i.e £23 per hr if you work in Stockport

I haven’t earned closer to 30,000,000 naira when i was in naija but i was able to saved here even after tax, house rent and after my bringing my partner to uk .

I also completed my school fee, got myself iPhone 14 Pro Max, i got one got my wife, and my brother, i was able to spend millions bringing my woman over.

There are opportunities here irrespective of bills and after tax. My advice is if you have the opportunity/ resources please leave.

I came here oct 2022 with just £135 but to God be the glory i am over thousand of thousands in pounds at the end of December 2023. If not for privacy and security reasons, i would have posted my account balance here for evidence. I didn’t say all these to brag but pls if anyone has the resources to leave pls do.

How much salary can i earn to be able to save up to over 22,000,000 naira ( £15,600) in a year? No matter how they tax you, you will always have enough at the end of the month if converted to naira

13 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by infofta(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03
A federal job with a prospective to grow is not bad. But a professional job in Europe or US will not secure the fire of your kids as well
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Jozibrainz100: 4:37pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

Do u all see UK in your dream....?
Does good life only depend on UK?

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by seunayantokun(m): 4:37pm On Jan 03
enumerica:
You don't need to resign. Simply take a study leave without pay. Work closely with your principals to achieve that. When you get there, you will know when to return.
Good advice spotted!
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by valx2: 4:38pm On Jan 03
enumerica:
You don't need to resign. Simply take a study leave without pay. Work closely with your principals to achieve that. When you get there, you will know when to return.
Best advice.@Op listen to this voice of reasoning
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by promzy555(m): 4:40pm On Jan 03
My brother, I will advise u to stay back 80% of Nigerians are regretting big time

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by seunayantokun(m): 4:42pm On Jan 03
Zonefree:

The bitter truth is, your great grand children will not witness a dollar exchange for N500.
You press am for im eyes well well.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Kingrshd3: 4:44pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:
Wait until dangote refinery is complete. A dollar will exchange for 150 naira then and all japarians will be miserable.

A claim it in Jesus name 🙏

Make miracle happen make dollar equivalent to #150 and then Nigeria will become a dream comes true ✅
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by CAPTIVATOR: 4:45pm On Jan 03
Icesnow:
Get married before relocating to the UK oo. It reduces boredom, financial and visa stress. A word is enough for the wise. 2 are better than one.

Marry him na
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by popcykaylah(m): 4:48pm On Jan 03
God1000:
I will advice you to stay in Nigeria and plan your life, leaving a federal job and travel all the way to Europe to face uncertain future isn't advisable.

The slavery and uncertainty in Europe is better than the certainty of suffering in this dead economy and country ..you all will learn

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Ebeano49(m): 4:49pm On Jan 03
If you have a confirmed respectable job (not cleaning oyibo nyash o), then japa immediately. Otherwise, keep your 200k job and look for side hustle. In the long run, you'll have a more fulfilled life than you'll have if you japa.
I left Nigeria in 2004. On reflection, it is probably the worst decision I ever made.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Graciafun(m): 4:52pm On Jan 03
I can never leave a job that pays me well above 200k for the UK while living outside Abuja, Lagos and Ph. No matter what. Leaving a known evil to go start unknown wonderland.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Artiiclebeast: 4:53pm On Jan 03
How about you Jakpa with your Federal Government Job?

Broken records.

Typical.

These rubbish questions are now the latest trend.

Buzus
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by xandy84: 4:55pm On Jan 03
Your analysis of 200k is $200 does not work that way. I have lived in US for 10 years uninterrupted and I had work my way from $10hr to present $100hr and I can tell you someone who earn $2k net in US is not better than someone who earn 200k monthly in Nigeria when you factor bills. Average American that goes home with $2k net monthly is broke and one illness from bankruptcy.
Abroad ain't for everybody and if we go by exchange rate, lots of people had left a career back home and end up in worse situation cos all they see is $$ sign. The first ruse of japa is converting your naira to $$ thinking you're underpaid. It does not work that way.

donmaxman:
My advice to you is to japa to Canada if possible. Several years ago in Nigeria precisely 2015, I was earning about 750k per month and I still left. People told me it was a bad decision then but now I thank God I made the decision as most friends that criticized me then have come to their senses and are surprised I had the foresight then. The exchange rate then, was I CAD to 150 ngn. Today it is 1 CAD to 920 NGN. First, building you assets in Naira is risky as one insane CBN governor can easily print so much local currency and devalue the currency making your hard working years and saving completely worthless. I invested heavily in Nigerian stocks, houses, bonds and they are worthless today if I convert it. My house in Nigeria can barely fetch me 15000 dollars if I put it up for sale. If I had taken the same action in a proper working economy I would have become a millionaire in dollars. People ruined Nigerian banks and mismanaged shareholders fund and they are not in jail. People will eat your pension funds and nothing will.happen. Nigeria is a no go for any smart young man with vision. I have a foreign passport, access to a world class healthcare. I know how much assets I have built abroad since I left Nigeria. I look at my years in Nigeria as the locust years of my life. There is no accountability in Nigeria. 200k is less than 200 dollars

3 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by AkumahTalk(m): 4:58pm On Jan 03
I think japa is a very personal decision. If you choose to stay in Nigeria, what do you stand to gain or lose? Nigeria is mineral rich but economically poor and not showing any signs of improvement. You either continue to struggle to survive and accept all the risks or take your chances in a different country.
1. The Naira is depreciating and the resultant effect is increased cost of living.
2. Your current salary is abysmal given the current economic realities
3. Starting a business is fantastic but anything that is tied to the Naira is already disadvantaged. Also note that people have less disposable income at the moment.
4. In Nigeria, Security and Health Care happens to all. Try not to find yourself wanting, even your money may not save you.

If you choose to travel to any western country there are pros and cons depending on how and where you choose to go. Western countries have far bigger economies with more commercial activities and opportunities. I can go on and on but I'll summarize by saying, life is not easy anywhere. You'll have to work and be innovative to provide enough value to make a good living regardless of the country. If you choose to travel, you need a good strategy. I left Naija in June 2022 and moved to Canada as a PR. In my one and half year here I have made more money than I made in my over 7 years working in Nigeria (currently in the top 10% earners here). Regardless of how you move, 5 years is a good timeline for you to stand very tall if you're determined to work hard. I use to be an ambassador for the "stay in Nigeria" group grin Currently, I find it very hard to discourage anyone thinking of travelling. "E go better, E go better", that's how Nigeria has eaten the productive years of a lot of people. Your 30s is prime time for hustle make the right decision for yourself (to stay or go). Life should be experienced and sometimes you need to take chances, you must not live and kpeme in the same location, we're human beings not trees, there's a bigger world out there. We go were we're valued the most.

NB: If you choose to leave, I'll avoid UK if I were you.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Thabothabo101: 5:00pm On Jan 03
Leave, if you can. That money you currently make will soon equate to $100/month. You can make above that overseas, and, live a better life.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by FireUpNow(m): 5:02pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:

So na Dangote Refinery una dey wait for?
Anyways for your affordable and effective meal plan for diabetics and pre-dianetics people to live a healthy lifestyle.
Check my signature 👇👇
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by LordReed(m): 5:02pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

Apply for study leave at your current job, travel to UK and see how things are before committing. If it doesn't work you can come back to your job.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Thabothabo101: 5:04pm On Jan 03
AkumahTalk:
I think japa is a very personal decision. If you choose to stay in Nigeria, what do you stand to gain or lose? Nigeria is mineral rich but economically poor and not showing any signs of improvement. You either continue to struggle to survive and accept all the risks or take your chances in a different country.
1. The Naira is depreciating and the resultant effect is increased cost of living.
2. Your current salary is abysmal given the current economic realities
3. Starting a business is fantastic but anything that is tied to the Naira is already disadvantaged. Also note that people have less disposable income at the moment.
4. In Nigeria, Security and Health Care happens to all. Try not to find yourself wanting, even your money may not save you.

If you choose to travel to any western country there are pros and cons depending on how and where you choose to go. Western countries have far bigger economies with more commercial activities and opportunities. I can go on and on but I'll summarize by saying, life is not easy anywhere. You'll have to work and be innovative to provide enough value to make a good living regardless of the country. If you choose to travel, you need a good strategy. I left Naija in June 2022 and moved to Canada as a PR. In my one and half year here I have made more money than I made in my over 7 years working in Nigeria (currently in the top 10% earners here). Regardless of how you move, 5 years is a good timeline for you to stand very tall if you're determined to work hard. I used to be an ambassador for the "stay in Nigeria" group grin Currently, I find it very hard to discourage anyone thinking of travelling.

NB: If you choose to leave, I'll avoid UK if I were you.

What route was your PR if I may ask? How can I follow this process?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by ige101(m): 5:05pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

How many years have you been on this job that pays you above 200k?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Thabothabo101: 5:07pm On Jan 03
xandy84:
Your analysis of 200k is $200 does not work that way. I have lived in US for 10 years uninterrupted and I had work my way from $10hr to present $100hr and I can tell you someone who earn $2k net in US is not better than someone who earn 200k monthly in Nigeria when you factor bills. Average American that goes home with $2k net monthly is broke and one illness from bankruptcy.
Abroad ain't for everybody and if we go by exchange rate, lots of people had left a career back home and end up in worse situation cos all they see is $$ sign. The first ruse of japa is converting your naira to $$ thinking you're underpaid. It does not work that way.

This is one if the soundest advice here, and I urge the OP to heed this.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Missyajoke(f): 5:09pm On Jan 03
AlphaNugget:
Give me the Federal job and you japa undecided
grin grin grin
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by abba190: 5:10pm On Jan 03
i hate this kind of threads they make me think that i am a failure, someone is 34 and has a job a lots of money to japa while i will be 30 this year without anything no job no money just nothing

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by wese90(m): 5:10pm On Jan 03
Zonefree:

The bitter truth is, your great grand children will not witness a dollar exchange for N500.

Anything can happen,
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by ariesbull: 5:13pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

Go to UK and suffer
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by aestake: 5:18pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
I said I need matured mature people’s advice.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by LipozSwiminPool(m): 5:20pm On Jan 03
Why do people see traveling out as an escape route from poverty?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by kunle75(m): 5:25pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

Do not go to UK for now,you will regret, I visited few months ago and can tell you authoritatively that nothing Is there.

Mark my words.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by gridtek(m): 5:26pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

My brother, don't go to UK. I am not trying to discourage you. But you are earning N200k monthly, it can't even bring you to UK. Unless maybe you have a huge amount that someone is gifting you or you will get.
If you need to come to UK, make sure you are able to secure a job otherwise ensure you have money to sustain your expenses in the UK for at least 1 month.

On the other hand, you can continue with your Federal Job paying you N200k monthly for now.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by iswallker(m): 5:27pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

The ones that have left and never looked back have they died... cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"This Video Depicts The Daily Lagos Life. 2 Different Fights In 1 Minute" / Anambra Airport Cleared For Flight Operations / Photos Of Train Crash Recovery In Osogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.