Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K (25070 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by rolams(m): 7:33pm On Jan 03
enumerica:
You don't need to resign. Simply take a study leave without pay. Work closely with your principals to achieve that. When you get there, you will know when to return.

Best advice. 100%

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Pandew: 7:37pm On Jan 03
A bird at hand is better... Keep your FG job.. Get married and startup a business...
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by OnionBandit(f): 7:40pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
pour your depression and stupidit.y to somewhere else
Greedy fo0lllll..Japa na, make your eye clear. Weyrey angry
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by 21NAUGHTYUTY(m): 7:44pm On Jan 03
The grass is not always greener at the other end, you HV a secured job, you want to go to Uk on students visa, biko no do... My opinion though

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by victorikpe(m): 7:44pm On Jan 03
AlphaNugget:
Give me the Federal job and you japa undecided

Naso o
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Kemadealadire(f): 8:11pm On Jan 03
Here to read comments.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by LOVEGINO(m): 8:12pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

Cc:Justwise
bro which fg job dey pay u 200k?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by vickydevoka(m): 8:17pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

I said 30, see me at 34 I don't have a girlfriend. 😂
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Thabothabo101: 8:20pm On Jan 03
AkumahTalk:
I think japa is a very personal decision. If you choose to stay in Nigeria, what do you stand to gain or lose? Nigeria is mineral rich but economically poor and not showing any signs of improvement. You either continue to struggle to survive and accept all the risks or take your chances in a different country.
1. The Naira is depreciating and the resultant effect is increased cost of living.
2. Your current salary is abysmal given the current economic realities
3. Starting a business is fantastic but anything that is tied to the Naira is already disadvantaged. Also note that people have less disposable income at the moment.
4. In Nigeria, Security and Health Care happens to all. Try not to find yourself wanting, even your money may not save you.

If you choose to travel to any western country there are pros and cons depending on how and where you choose to go. Western countries have far bigger economies with more commercial activities and opportunities. I can go on and on but I'll summarize by saying, life is not easy anywhere. You'll have to work and be innovative to provide enough value to make a good living regardless of the country. If you choose to travel, you need a good strategy. I left Naija in June 2022 and moved to Canada as a PR. In my one and half year here I have made more money than I made in my over 7 years working in Nigeria (currently in the top 10% earners here). Regardless of how you move, 5 years is a good timeline for you to stand very tall if you're determined to work hard. I use to be an ambassador for the "stay in Nigeria" group grin Currently, I find it very hard to discourage anyone thinking of travelling. "E go better, E go better", that's how Nigeria has eaten the productive years of a lot of people. Your 30s is prime time for hustle make the right decision for yourself (to stay or go). Life should be experienced and sometimes you need to take chances, you must not live and kpeme in the same location, we're human beings not trees, there's a bigger world out there. We go were we're valued the most.

NB: If you choose to leave, I'll avoid UK if I were you.

Great advice here!!!
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by GENTLETEE(m): 8:34pm On Jan 03
Keep which Federal Job? Guy Moveee!
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Jasonekah98: 8:35pm On Jan 03
AlphaNugget:
Give me the Federal job and you japa undecided

You sef grin
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Rebirth212: 9:04pm On Jan 03
Abeg nah where unah dey see all these work from
Abeg link me
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Rebirth212: 9:07pm On Jan 03
Abeg nah where unah dey see all these work from
Abeg link me up
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by ganie(m): 9:10pm On Jan 03
I know a civil defence officer who have been in service since 2010 who left for Canada with his family last year and is doing better than when he was in Nigeria today

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 9:24pm On Jan 03
Lol.
I love ur innocent and clean comment.
Thanks.
I wish u all the best too.
Graciafun:

Be optimistic for once. The places you're running to once experienced problems and they fought & stayed. I'm not discouraging you from leaving, but you know everyone can't leave no matter what. Besides, if them grant your visa tomorrow, I go join you praise the Lord.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by femi4: 9:53pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

Apply for study leave
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by philsbaba: 10:07pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:
Wait until dangote refinery is complete. A dollar will exchange for 150 naira then and all japarians will be miserable.
in your wildest dreams 😂

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Smartguyboy(m): 10:07pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

How una Dey take
Get this federal job self ?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by RIDOO: 10:24pm On Jan 03
Kennyg290:
I'm in same shoe with you. I'm a FG employee with 20yrs experience in my 40s. I'm planning to JAPA and will not lost because my pension will be paid till I die with other allowances. I just pray for a successful Visa issuance bt say make I no travel,na lie b dt

My dad was a federal govt worker too..He is on pension since n he told me months back that they have slashed his money into 2.. Imagine he didn't have a side hustle (a building contractor) before then.Money wey no reach before..l never believed FG can treat a pensioner as such..

Anything fit happen for this country o.As l dey, if weight my present l feel no think jakpa but l think the very long run as the Economist l be, l don reason jakpa o.l no wan let one country show me shege for old age.My children are even the most important to me.As the things my eyes see for this country bf l get to this stage l no wan my pikin eyes see.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by IbrahimSola: 10:51pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:
Wait until dangote refinery is complete. A dollar will exchange for 150 naira then and all japarians will be miserable.

Bro that's an impossible impossibility. Have u not heard the cabal said that PH refinery and Dangote Refinery will not bring down fuel price? The question is, why were they talking about landing cost every time? Something is significantly wrong with Nigerian leaders. But something is more wrong with the citizens. Don't expect anything from this country. Things will continue this way until one day when the people will say that they're tired, in one voice. That day might take 20 years as long as they keep dividing us along ethnic and religious lines but they steal as one force. I was always saying that the corruption in Buhari's government would be monumental. This is the same party o. Imagine if he had handed over to an opposition party. The dirts would have been daunting. But then the DSS and EFCC were busy spying and pursuing ordinary Nigerians while the real enemies of Nigeria were in govt committing havoc. See the humanitarian minister that they had. See where we are today. They shd problem Tradermoni too.

To advise the OP, pls japa if you have the resources and support. You can marry before going.

Or you stay back and enjoy the federal job, settle down and invest. But I tell you, our leaders have nothing for Nigerians. The truth is that THOSE WAITING OUTSIDE FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO STEAL ARE MORE THAN THOSE ALREADY INSIDE DOING THE STEALING. Those who can run shd run, those who cannot run shd stay. If you run and get stranded, you deserve it, because someone fought for order in that country where you run to.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by scally11: 10:59pm On Jan 03
I usually don't want to advice anyone who still think Nigeria has a future with the current leader that we have. @ ops ur monthly salary is not up to my oneday wage in naira if u convert pounds to naira. So advise urself

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by fortunechy(m): 11:30pm On Jan 03
My dear,if u have opportunity to travel, travel cuz no hope for this country. Leave marriage for now. By God's grace if u settle there u can find woman and marry there. Congrats in advance!!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by gmacnoms(m): 12:01am On Jan 04
Gerrard59:

Japa to the UK to do what exactly? What skills do you have to offer UK employers as a federal government worker with the Nigerian government at the age of 34?

You people are making the UK seem it is Dubai or South Africa where every bloke walks in and starts earning money.
Well, I walked into the uk a few months ago and started “making money” in your language, in less than 30 days. Money enough to pay my bills. Not the type of bills paid in Nigeria with zero value.

The uk is not a bed of roses, but compared to Nigeria, it is beds full of roses.

200k*4 salary should not even be enough to make one think twice of leaving town hall.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by gmacnoms(m): 12:05am On Jan 04
donmaxman:
My advice to you is to japa to Canada if possible. Several years ago in Nigeria precisely 2015, I was earning about 750k per month and I still left. People told me it was a bad decision then but now I thank God I made the decision as most friends that criticized me then have come to their senses and are surprised I had the foresight then. The exchange rate then, was I CAD to 150 ngn. Today it is 1 CAD to 920 NGN. First, building you assets in Naira is risky as one insane CBN governor can easily print so much local currency and devalue the currency making your hard working years and saving completely worthless. I invested heavily in Nigerian stocks, houses, bonds and they are worthless today if I convert it. My house in Nigeria can barely fetch me 15000 dollars if I put it up for sale. If I had taken the same action in a proper working economy I would have become a millionaire in dollars. People ruined Nigerian banks and mismanaged shareholders fund and they are not in jail. People will eat your pension funds and nothing will.happen. Nigeria is a no go for any smart young man with vision. I have a foreign passport, access to a world class healthcare. I know how much assets I have built abroad since I left Nigeria. I look at my years in Nigeria as the locust years of my life. There is no accountability in Nigeria. 200k is less than 200 dollars
Well said. 200k is around 135 pounds.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by olowoba2: 12:51am On Jan 04
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

If you won't accumulate excessive loans to japa, I will advise you to japa IF living a better life is your primary consideration.
However, it appears money isn't your only consideration as you want to settle down as well.
This is coming from someone who has japa'ed and return to Nigeria. Here is my analysis
Pro: With UK, depending on your area of study and skillset, you have the opportunity to earn more and live a better life. It might be tough at the beginning but you will eventually be fine And even if things don't fully work out, your savings in pounds will become loads of Naira if you decide to move back. You can decide use that to invest in a business. To be honest, 200k is not a lot of money even in Nigeria. With 200k, you will hardly have any tangible savings by the end of the year, and you will basically be living from hand to mouth. You either need to start doing business or leave the country altogether to break away from the cycle of low income.
Con: You want to get married. To be honest, it is best when married couples stay together at least for the first 3 years of their marriage to know and understand themselves better. It is now impossible to bring your spouse to UK if you plan to do a non-research based Masters program. Long distance marriage, especially at the start is a NO NO. I speak from the experience of others. I also believe it is better to first live with your spouse in Nigeria before both moving abroad.

It all depends on what is more important to you. Money or marriage.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by zumbigbo(m): 1:01am On Jan 04
My guy, forget UK..branch Australia or Canada.

UK is finished....all my Afro Saxons are branching elsewhere. Even JJC's that have arrived in past few years do not know that the glass ceiling dey. No move to grow. U just dey work, sleep, work, sleep, rinse repeat
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by jimcaddy(m): 1:18am On Jan 04
This UK japa trend that almost all Nigerian are embarking upon will soon backfire. What happened to other countries in the world? Why UK? UK be like glorified Nigeria. I don't like UK for anything. Seeing UK just feels like I'm in Nigeria.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by jimcaddy(m): 1:23am On Jan 04
mistacoco2:
my younger brother is there, I will be working as well to pay off bills
and trust me, that's all you will be doing almost all the days of your stay there. Taxes will wound you ehn, bills will choke you. Yet you will still have family and friends who will still ask you for money from Nigeria. See ehn I don't know how to advice people especially when it comes to japa. Do whatever you feel is right, and face the consequences, whether good or bad. To me, Uk is a bad idea. I'd rather go to another country than the UK.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Akochi86: 1:31am On Jan 04
Traveling to UK is good if that is your dream but make sure you get a job in UK from Nigeria or get admission and then apply for study leave without pay to travel for the work or studies.

During the time you will understudy the environment if it offers what you want otherwise you can always return to your job thereafter.

You don't have to reign your job for uncertainty.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Gerrard59(m): 1:55am On Jan 04
gmacnoms:
Well, I walked into the uk a few months ago and started “making money” in your language, in less than 30 days. Money enough to pay my bills. Not the type of bills paid in Nigeria with zero value.

The uk is not a bed of roses, but compared to Nigeria, it is beds full of roses.

200k*4 salary should not even be enough to make one think twice of leaving town hall.

OP is a federal government worker. We need to know the skills he has to present to employers during interviews. Abi employers for UK no dey consider skills again?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by ericmor: 3:31am On Jan 04
Kennyg290:
I'm in same shoe with you. I'm a FG employee with 20yrs experience in my 40s. I'm planning to JAPA and will not lost because my pension will be paid till I die with other allowances. I just pray for a successful Visa issuance bt say make I no travel,na lie b dt

Lol
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Godsonkemz(m): 4:21am On Jan 04
If it's other European countries, I will advise you to go but as for UK you better remain in your federal job that will allow you time for other personal hustles.
Life in UK could be hell without a meaningful job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chaos At Jos Airport: Passengers Block Arik Air Flight From Taking Off / Car Crashes Into A Canal In Ikorodu (Photos) / Trailer Crushes Man To Death In Kaduna (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.