Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days (10245 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by Quebec91(m): 4:54pm On Jan 03
Sure why not?
kennethovic7:

Can i DM too bro?
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by boldking(m): 6:14pm On Jan 03
aysnoopy:
I need more advice please
Mod, please to front page

Please leave that place and find something better to do with your life
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by dhoncesar(m): 6:22pm On Jan 03
aysnoopy:
Despite my writing limitations, I hope you'll overlook any errors and focus on my message. I completed my civil engineering studies and finished my service year in November 2016. I'm based in Ibadan.

In February 2018, I secured a connection with the zonal director of a federal government agency, leading to a casual staff position with a monthly stipend of 20k. The initial plan was to gain an advantage for future employment opportunities. By around 2020, the salary increased to 30k.

After three years with the agency, I learned about an upcoming recruitment in 2021. Despite seeking assistance from my boss, the zonal director, she didn't provide the support promised. Although I continued working and searching for other jobs, success eluded me.

In November 2022, my boss retired, and the new zonal director pledged support for my education, leading to my admission into a HND to B.Eng conversion program at KWASU. The sponsorship continued under another new director, but my concern persists due to the stagnant 30k salary, supplemented irregularly with site visit stipends.

Now faced with the decision to quit, I ponder whether to risk unemployment and search for a better opportunity or endure the current job's limitations, considering my advancing age. Despite ongoing self-improvement efforts and learning civil engineering software, I seek advice on whether to pursue a new job or maintain my current position during the B.Eng program.

I just quit on 31st. And I've been home since then. I adjusted my CV and am ready to lunch them anywhere. Though I have no skills and the one I can acquire basically needs some funding which I can't .

But the joy is me leaving my previous work. Because it wouldn't give me the chance to get another work and thats how it's gonna be for the rest of this year if time isn't taken.

Now I have the time to scout for a new job which I assume it wouldn't take me more than a month or two.

I'll drink garri for that
My family also understands what we will face for now .

So I believe if u can face what is to come for the next two months. You should just give it a try.
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by aysnoopy(m): 6:38pm On Jan 03
zebszebs:
If I understand your writeup, you are currently being sponsored in school, I will advise you to complete it and leave the country, by any means, just leave.

I wish I can leave but I don't have 5k in my account currently
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by anifranci(m): 6:49pm On Jan 03
Urgent- Pathway to Canada 🇨🇦 New Brunswick Welcoming New Comes with (FREE WORK PERMIT) SEE BELOW VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GC69eSrm1c?si=G-nhYLT1xggrBhCY
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by aysnoopy(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03
4mee:
Dear OP,

You're much more predictable than you think. Your story seems to be a plea for a new job rather than advice. I think you want your request for advice to teach the front page so that you can field job offers.

If that's your intention, I can hardly fault your motives. But your strategy is missing a key ingredient: value.

In your write-up, all you've stated is what you're looking for. So far, it seems the only value ( that you offer your current employer ) is worth 30K.

You're yet to articulate the value anyone would benefit from you when they hire you. Can you bring in revenues worth ten times your expected salary? Do you have skills that can translate into cost savings worth ten times your wages?

Why would any organisation want to hire you? I'll be honest, from my personal experience, most of my HR problems have stemmed from hiring men in their mid thirties who have degrees, not skilled and yet too old to follow instructions from bosses younger than them.

So here's my advice:

First, don't be quick to leave your current job. If you have time, I'll advice you to listen to this conversation about a contract banker earning 70K who quit his job. Learn from his experience what not to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8Z4dvgE80

Second, what tangible income-earning, revenue-driving, and/or cost savings skills can you acquire in your current job. I came across this conversation aimed at recent graduates on nairaland. If you can patiently listen beyond the first 7-10 minutes, it should provide advice that is relevant to your job situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHXkCsJ2fc

Third, if you're an engineer, you should be going to conferences: engineering, energy, power, infrastructure and building conferences. That's where you will find new opportunities and meet employers in emerging engineering fields.
Again, here's a video to show how that process could look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lHaOu2bzc

I know things might seem hard at the moment, but I really wish you the best and hope that things work out well for you.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot sir. I really appreciate.
I swear to God, the bolded was totally wrong.
I never even thought of begging for jobs online, rather looking for advice on the next step to take as depression is eating me up
I'll go through the YouTube video. Thanks so much sir
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by rapheal5(m): 7:40pm On Jan 03
sofeo:
Get a good laptop, Learn IT/Digital skill, Get empowered and make money.
learn from who, those people demanding for kidney and heart...
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by TheGift: 8:08pm On Jan 03
How can you live your life based on hoping for better days? Don’t you know that you have more control over your outcomes than anyone else? For 30k (our cleaner earns 62.5k for 4 days and we are wondering how she is coping and how to increase it significantlly) Don’t let your current state mAke you see 30k as something. It is nothing but money to barely live. But you can make it something. Warren buffet says ,and I agree ,that anyone who is poor has a better chance of breaking the cycle of poverty if they become entrepreneurs than if they just get a job to get by. Think of something you can do with 1% or 10% of that 30k, grow it to 30k and keep repeating the process as your money grows. Within 6 months you might be able to pay yourself 30k a month and still keep the business growing. That is how most millionaires and billionaires make money. And many of them started from nothing.

If you need more clarity and direction , feel free to reach out. (FYI: I am not selling anything)
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by Csami(m): 9:09pm On Jan 03
aysnoopy:
Despite my writing limitations, I hope you'll overlook any errors and focus on my message. I completed my civil engineering studies and finished my service year in November 2016. I'm based in Ibadan.

In February 2018, I secured a connection with the zonal director of a federal government agency, leading to a casual staff position with a monthly stipend of 20k. The initial plan was to gain an advantage for future employment opportunities. By around 2020, the salary increased to 30k.

After three years with the agency, I learned about an upcoming recruitment in 2021. Despite seeking assistance from my boss, the zonal director, she didn't provide the support promised. Although I continued working and searching for other jobs, success eluded me.

In November 2022, my boss retired, and the new zonal director pledged support for my education, leading to my admission into a HND to B.Eng conversion program at KWASU. The sponsorship continued under another new director, but my concern persists due to the stagnant 30k salary, supplemented irregularly with site visit stipends.

Now faced with the decision to quit, I ponder whether to risk unemployment and search for a better opportunity or endure the current job's limitations, considering my advancing age. Despite ongoing self-improvement efforts and learning civil engineering software, I seek advice on whether to pursue a new job or maintain my current position during the B.Eng program.

First of all, you write very well.
Secondly, can’t you work and look for job at the same time? Being conversant with software, you should know the power.
Thirdly, should the fear of the unknown keep you stagnant?

🤫
Maybe I should ask myself these questions!?
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by aysnoopy(m): 9:27pm On Jan 03
TheGift:
How can you live your life based on hoping for better days? Don’t you know that you have more control over your outcomes than anyone else? For 30k (our cleaner earns 62.5k for 4 days and we are wondering how she is coping and how to increase it significantlly) Don’t let your current state mAke you see 30k as something. It is nothing but money to barely live. But you can make it something. Warren buffet says ,and I agree ,that anyone who is poor has a better chance of breaking the cycle of poverty if they become entrepreneurs than if they just get a job to get by. Think of something you can do with 1% or 10% of that 30k, grow it to 30k and keep repeating the process as your money grows. Within 6 months you might be able to pay yourself 30k a month and still keep the business growing. That is how most millionaires and billionaires make money. And many of them started from nothing.

If you need more clarity and direction , feel free to reach out. (FYI: I am not selling anything)

I'll like to DM you if u don't mind
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by kkonsults: 11:11pm On Jan 03
aysnoopy:

Brother,
As a HND Civil Engineering graduate, look for a construction site around your area to attach yourself to, from there you can start doing Site Supervision work.
Also if you can use AutoCAD efficiently, you can start sourcing for personal design and construction/supervision works by yourself.
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by TheGift: 12:26am On Jan 04
aysnoopy:

I'll like to DM you if u don't mind

Yes, you may.
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by milky3(f): 12:30am On Jan 04
I had to quit my job of 30k late last year, when fuel hike set in... When I calculated my left over fund to be just 2k after transportation and feeding... Tufia kwa...
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by BALLOSKI: 7:44am On Jan 04
aysnoopy:
My current situation is really affecting my mental health.
My mom is getting old and I'm his only son out of her 2 children (I and my elder sister)
I'm yet to take care of her despite all her struggles during my study in the polytechnic
Eyaaa... You just have to be there for her.

Is there no tech skill that allows you to work remotely that you can learn?

Are you still in school? Thought you said you served already? I saw you going back to KWASU in your writeup.
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by kennyz247(m): 8:06am On Jan 04
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

What da fuckkk. Just stop
Don't get me annoyed
This your statement have caused alot of poverty to so many young men
Na wa o
Why he be say people nor dey get mind to leave a particular place

Na so bros ororo do am come think say things go better in the future begin hope
Come even go rent I face you and slap me kind of house
Before you know it sandra fall In love with am inside I face me and face you room them begin bang and belle enter
Family start poverty increase

It all depends on the meaning u place on the proverb
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by bhatanagarntn: 8:45am On Jan 04
I would suggest, please do not leave the job without having a different source of income.
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by aysnoopy(m): 9:56am On Jan 04
BALLOSKI:
Eyaaa... You just have to be there for her.

Is there no tech skill that allows you to work remotely that you can learn?

Are you still in school? Thought you said you served already? I saw you going back to KWASU in your writeup.

I really don't have a tech skills.
It's a HND to B.Eng conversion. It's called top-up program. It's one of the requirements for one to be a registered Engineer.
I don't have any idea on how to work remotely
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by Polynek(m): 11:24am On Jan 04
B4 U quit secure another job 1st
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by PRYNXTEE(m): 11:49am On Jan 05
Leave the job simple the more you stay the more years pass and you keep praising one year is better than the other... Just quit before you get old to be useful for another opportunities try other things even if it's sales job out there meanwhile you sef pray make connection find you... 30k this period is damn right now I wonder how you're managing it even NYSC corps collecting 33k usually cry or never appear at PPA regularly because of transport cost and funny enough you will eat, buy data to browse. Barb and shave to look good, even barbers make money now, 😂😂 and riders too especially logistics guys try and sort yourself even if it's quit Baba Quit no stay and say It will be better if anyone advise you to stay look your age if you're above 30 my brother or closer to 30 my brother you will have a family one day na and I believe you won't want to be a society liability..... Just find something else doing... And to employers giving out 30k please try and consider staffs with bonus this period is very hard even if it's food bonus that's the essential thing hunger bad
Re: Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days by aysnoopy(m): 7:56am On Jan 06
I appreciate everyone for their word of encouragement and advice. God bless you all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaigama Says Federal Government Of Nigeria Must Revisit Minimum Wage. / How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? / Promotion Racket Rocks Road Safety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.