Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda (247 Views)

Why Did The Bank Remove Opay, Kuda, And Moniepoint From Their Online Banking? / Kuda Bank Is A Fraud! / Between Opay And Kuda Mobile Which Is Better And Trustworthy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by Bishops10(m): 5:38pm On Jan 02
Greetings guys,

I recently got into discussion with my friend who develops softwares/ App about having a Fintech App like Opay, Kuda etc. Personally I've been giving it a deep thought as one of the business I'll start this year. So my questions are,
What are the disadvantages of operating such here in Nigeria?
What are the prospects?
Will it require me breaking the bank to start up such.
Any government restrictions??

Thank you guys.

Cc.
dominique, naijacutee, puskin, FOD please push to FP
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02
There are prospects but once you do the registration process and it capital intensive .non-refundable application fee of ₦100,000 (One Hundred Thousand Naira), payment of the refundable sum of ₦50,000,000 (Fifty Million Naira) in escrow to the CBN, and a licensing fee of ₦1,000,000 (One Million Naira) to be paid before the issuance of the final license.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by Laird(m): 7:02am On Jan 03
There is Kuda, opay. Palmpay, moniepoint and so many others

The market is kinda saturated in my opinion which might be wrong but I am just trying to be realistic
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by sslcrypt: 7:11am On Jan 03
Saturated market along with high license fees.
No need to venture into it.
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by 5ThChild: 7:41am On Jan 03
Most of them started as loan apps and some as microfinance firm. They started when online loans weren't well regulated and no one checkmate them.
But now it's hard to give Nigerian loans because things are really tough. So, if you want to start a fintech app with the pervious models, now is not the time.

You should consider other ventures
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by MrBroke(m): 7:42am On Jan 03
B like you be blockchain cause the startup cost heavy o. Someone mentioned it already
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by Bishops10(m): 4:24pm On Jan 03
hakeemhakeem:
There are prospects but once you do the registration process and it capital intensive .non-refundable application fee of ₦100,000 (One Hundred Thousand Naira), payment of the refundable sum of ₦50,000,000 (Fifty Million Naira) in escrow to the CBN, and a licensing fee of ₦1,000,000 (One Million Naira) to be paid before the issuance of the final license.

Frankly speaking, starting a project like this is quite expensive looking at what you listed above.

Thanks brother
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by Bishops10(m): 4:25pm On Jan 03
5ThChild:
Most of them started as loan apps and some as microfinance firm. They started when online loans weren't well regulated and no one checkmate them.
But now it's hard to give Nigerian loans because things are really tough. So, if you want to start a fintech app with the pervious models, now is not the time.

You should consider other ventures

You're right, most of them started when there weren't much regulations.

Thank you very much
Re: What Are The Dangers/disadvantages Of Starting A Fintech Company Like Opay, Kuda by bassdow: 7:46pm On Jan 03
Bishops10:

Frankly speaking, starting a project like this is quite expensive looking at what you listed above.

Thanks brother
so you were thinking cost of entry is low like starting a Blog ?

if it were that low, e for don plenty na.

Funny enough, you could partner with a DMB e.g GTB, firstBank, any of the microFinance banks, etc.

Also, it's much cheaper buying liscence from a bank about closing down, than getting it directly from CBN.

If looking to buy liscence, target northen stattes. They have lots of microFinance Banks struggling - that's if dem never closeUp since last CBN dropped the hammer on them.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Do Business. Loan Me 125,000 To Repay 250,000 Naira / Japanese Firms Issue Record Amount Of Debt To Secure Cheap Funds / Boost Your Sales And Defeat Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.