Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,016 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities (20317 Views)

Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs / Telcos Started Blocking Numbers Not Linked To NIN / USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by HeatSeeker(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03
•NIMC offices besieged, ALTON rallies users

As expected, telecommunications operators have started messaging subscribers found to have SIM irregularities, especially those who have been properly linked with their National Identification Numbers (NINs).

This is even as crowds are returning to various National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) offices and outlets across the country.

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had ordered telecommunications operators in the country to completely block unlinked SIM to NIN by February 28. The operators, including MTN, Airtel, Globacom and 9mobile have been lettered to carry out the exercise as directed.

As of August 2023, The Guardian checks showed that the telecoms operators had 220 million subscriptions, of which MTN has 85 million; Glo, 61 million; Airtel, 60 million and 9mobile, 13 million.

The mandatory NIN-SIM Linkage scheme began in December 2020 as directed by the federal government. The telecoms operators have already lost over 20 million subscriptions as some subscribers abandoned their lines. However, operators, with several promo packages, including free airtime incentives, recovered some lines as more Nigerians registered for NIN.

However, findings showed that between 10 million and 12 million are yet to be recovered.

Indeed, a message sent by Globacom to some of the affected subscribers on its network, reads: “Dear customer, your line will be disconnected! Your Glo line is not linked with your NIN as directed by NCC. To avoid immediate disconnection, visit the nearest Glo SIM outlet to re-register your line. Link your NIN today.”

A subscriber, Tara Obinna (not real name), told The Guardian that she got the message three times but “unfortunately, I have relocated abroad but still maintained the number. I remember that I registered the line and linked it with NIN before I travelled. Early in 2022 was the second time I linked the line to NIN. They sent an SMS that I had successfully linked my SIM to NIN.

“They messaged again, about two weeks ago, that it was not linked. I was shocked to get such a message, knowing full well that the process has always been cumbersome.”

A telecoms officer with Glo claimed that after the line was checked, it was discovered that the biometrics were not captured properly, “meaning that she needs to re-do the biometrics.”

In the new year, other telecoms operators, including MTN, Airtel and 9mobile are expected to inundate affected subscribers on their respective networks with the need to visit service centres for re-linking of their SIMs to NIN.

Indeed, The Guardian gathered that a SIM could be barred on the following basis, computing errors during linking; integration errors from NIMC; incomplete registration; wrongful blockage; and biometrics gaps, among others.

Indeed, crowds were observed in the last week of December 2023 at NIMC offices, Alausa, Ikeja and Ikorodu, seeking to fix one thing or the order as regards their NIN. For some, it is to correct date of birth errors, some NIN validation and other registration.

The Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), Gbenga Adebayo, has called on subscribers not to wait till February 28 before linking their SIMs to NIN.

Adebayo, who spoke with The Guardian, said telecoms operators would comply with the NCC directive.

He said despite the limited-service restriction, millions of subscribers have yet to submit their NINs for verification.

“The importance of the NIN cannot be overemphasized. It is crucial for a reliable and sustainable National Identity Management System in Nigeria. It enables economic inclusion and access to government services and helps address security concerns. Supporting the NIN initiative is necessary for a thriving digital economy and building a safer society. Therefore, our members are committed to implementing the directive as law-abiding corporate citizens who are highly supportive of the government’s objective to build a digital economy,” Adebayo stated.

https://guardian.ng/business-services/confusion-as-telcos-alert-subscribers-to-nin-sim-link-irregularities/

4 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Tolujid: 12:04pm On Jan 03
Confusion everywhere. When do we get it right

1 Like

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by AMAUCHESKY(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03
What have we achieved with the initial blocking.. I beg
Bad addiction is more deadly than Cancer.. You need a councillor @ via my signature

7 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by tiswell(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03
Just wake up to that this morning 🌄

16 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Tywo2018: 1:10pm On Jan 03
Every where scatter. They should continue there confusion...

2 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by fridaymantraz: 1:10pm On Jan 03
Make them no come tell me make I go do NIN again oh

7 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by MykellOni(m): 1:10pm On Jan 03
A
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by demoBaba: 1:11pm On Jan 03
Yes, I received debit of 6 naira plus this morning from my account.
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Natbrowny: 1:11pm On Jan 03
Mention one normal thing in this country's policy.

JUST ONE. I DEY WAIT

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by peculiar2233: 1:11pm On Jan 03
Confused people. Nothing surprises me anymore. Mtcheww

1 Like

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by 89green: 1:11pm On Jan 03
sad pls who did this to us

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Galaticos444: 1:11pm On Jan 03
I jst got d message like 5mins ago that my MTN will b blocked cos it's linked with my NIN

11 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by wunmi590(m): 1:12pm On Jan 03

It is really disheartening still seeing messages on my phone every day telling me to link my NIN, something I've done since last year..

Nothing ever works in this country, just few seconds ago, my glo network completely went dumb, I couldn't make calls, telling me the network is not registered on the network, still experiencing it until now..

I had to resorts to MTN network, but yet, still not functioning properly

It a shame

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Ernerstdavid55(m): 1:12pm On Jan 03
grin
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by tragergeorge(m): 1:13pm On Jan 03
Make I eat egusi and draw
I de come

3 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Siberia01(m): 1:13pm On Jan 03
Same here
They have blocked My Airtel SIM
Up to 3 times
Still they will open it back...
Ain't suffering myself again
Make the sky break

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by money121(m): 1:13pm On Jan 03
Ok
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by superCleanworks(m): 1:15pm On Jan 03
Must suffering be attached to everything in Nigeria?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by isaachi4u: 1:15pm On Jan 03
I link my glo too years back. And also surprised to be seeing same message few days ago. I then as ,, How many times do I have link my nin. B4 FG become satisfied. Even it ll talk 100times I will do it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Hezmatosky: 1:17pm On Jan 03
Pls someone should help me tell 9mobile that e no go beta for them sad I loose contacts daily because of their stupid network failures. Although it all started ever since Tinubu took office, but yet, e no go still beta for them kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Tonytonex(m): 1:17pm On Jan 03
https://guardian.ng/business-services/confusion-as-telcos-alert-subscribers-to-nin-sim-link-irregularities/

[/quote] MTN just sent me a message now that I'm not linked. After I have linked it since years ago.

4 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Tonytonex(m): 1:19pm On Jan 03
tiswell:
Just wake up to that this morning 🌄
MTN sent me a message too. Airtel said I'm ok

4 Likes

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by eepeepook: 1:20pm On Jan 03
Make these people no make me stand under sun again. Na that part I hate pass.

1 Like

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Tonytonex(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03
Galaticos444:
I jst got d message like 5mins ago that my MTN will b blocked cos it's linked with my NIN
me too. I'm surprised
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by ThatHausagirl(f): 1:21pm On Jan 03
Na so dem thief my 6 naira this morning😏😏
Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by tiswell(m): 1:22pm On Jan 03
Tonytonex:
MTN sent me a message too. Airtel said I'm ok
now that's confusing.
Mm maybe an mtn computer 💻 error.

1 Like

Re: Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities by Kingrshd3: 1:23pm On Jan 03
K

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Use Your MTN Blackberry Subscription On TECNO And Then On PC / Free Blackberry Unlocking Codes / Airtel May Exit African Telecommunications Scene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.