Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs (9169 Views)

Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities / FG Directs Telcos To Reverse 10% Increase In Calls, Data Tariffs / MTN, GLO, Others Threaten To Increase Tariffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by dre11(m): 10:43am On Jan 05
Telecommunications services’ subscribers may soon start paying higher for calls and data as operators “earnestly” seek the federal government’s nod to increase telecom tariffs in the country.

If the telcos’ request is granted by FG, Nigerians will pay between 10 and 15 per cent more than the current tariffs, sources at the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy told our reporter in confidence.

The telecom operators had been “Pleading with the government since November to approve their request to alter upward the current call and data tariffs, but don’t want them to do that until things normalise in the New Year”, a source at the ministry told Daily Trust on Thursday.

Asked to clarify on “until things normalise” statement, the source alluded to when the 2024 budget becomes operational and works start in earnest.

The source said there were still “Ongoing considerations and discussions to see how the increase will not affect poor Nigerians too much”.

NCC’s spokesman, Mr Reuben Mouka was not available for comment when our reporter called his line. A message sent to him was also not responded to.

But the NCC’s Executive Vice Chairman, Dr Aminu Maida had hinted in December that telecom operators were seeking approval to increase tariffs.

Maida told executives of Nigerian Association of Information Technology Reporters (NITRA) in his office that the government would not accede to telcos’ request for tariff review until the network was improved.

The Chairman of Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), Engr Gbenga Adebayo did not answer calls made to his mobile line. He also did not respond to a message sent to him as of the time of filling this story.

Daily Trust reports that despite high inflation rates, telecom companies have not adjusted their prices for years. But the telcos have reduced their data value, according to many of their customers.

Speaking with Daily Trust on phone, the President of the National Association of Telecommunications Subscribers (NATCOMS), Chief Deolu Ogunbanjo said the association would resist any attempt by telcos to review tariffs upward.

Telecom services are poor Nigerians’ lifeline, any attempt to increase tariffs now will amount to killing Nigerians economically, and will resist it with all legal means, Ogunbanjo said.

He claimed telcos have nothing to justify any increment as the government has already looked into their complaints of high duties, forex scarcity and others.

Daily Trust reports that telecommunications companies in Egypt had in December 2023 increased the prices of mobile recharge cards and selected prepaid plans by 15 per cent.

https://dailytrust.com/subscribers-kick-as-telcos-seek-fgs-nod-to-increase-tariffs/

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by WiszyFraud: 1:56pm On Jan 05
Did you know??

Everything improves when you decide not to care anymore.

lipsrsealed

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by richard870(m): 1:56pm On Jan 05
Good Lord!
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by StraightGaay: 1:56pm On Jan 05
Good
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Prinzton(m): 1:57pm On Jan 05
We are still waiting because we so much believe in the Nigerian Dream.
It shall be Well.

8 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by C2Ok: 1:58pm On Jan 05
Lol… kick..
As in last kick of a dying horse 😂😂💔
Una never see anything for this kwantry

2 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by KingLennon(m): 1:59pm On Jan 05
The present tariff is even too high and you want to increase it? I think this will affect only PDP and LP supporters? sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by FireUpNow(m): 1:59pm On Jan 05
Me dem sabi. That's only thing they know how to do. Hike and hike

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Kaa4(m): 1:59pm On Jan 05
Everythng is just going up up up. Inflation has killed the stagnant income for those who still have something to earn. No buffers for Nigerians. Tinubu has left everyone bare!!!

1 Like

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Siberia01(m): 1:59pm On Jan 05
grin
S
At least this will sieve and limit the able bodied youths behaving as kids on NL and other SM platforms
I pity the students who genuinely used data for educational purposes
Indeed we are in for a bumpy ride to mars..
We seriously need Elon musk's intervention

2 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Angelfrost(m): 2:00pm On Jan 05
Lol... Tariffs wey dem don already increase. tongue

The Inflation warming up this year is MONSTROUS!

DSTV rates will still go up.
Electricity Tariffs up the roof.
Transport costs higher.
Fuel Prices over the moon.

...And then the main one: Food Prices!!!

If your monthly income remains the same as last year or reduces this year, I really pity you... Forget cynicism or that Renewed Hope Scam; you will eat sand!

6 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Coldie(m): 2:00pm On Jan 05
Nigeria is heading towards the stoneage, data that reasonable countries are trying to make very cheap so as to sustain e commerce and development, e reach Nigeria turn, e turn into luxury,

As time goes on Nigerian artist would start finding it difficult to get views on platforms cause no data

7 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by meum: 2:00pm On Jan 05
Prices of things have increased so why are they ‘kicking’?
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by israelmao(m): 2:00pm On Jan 05
Inflationary spiral is leaving nothing untouched.
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by 3seriez(m): 2:01pm On Jan 05
If we are going to be fair, telecom tariffs have been stable for a very long time now.
Not to justify their need for an increase but you don't expect their tariffs to remain the same when their operating expenditure & expenses have gone up.
Even ordinary pure water price has gone up.
It is well.

7 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by ogododo: 2:01pm On Jan 05
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by landmark86: 2:01pm On Jan 05
Renewed shege
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Obviouslyblunt: 2:01pm On Jan 05
They wanna increase price but not service. Ask Dstv how their increased price is going so far.
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by iwaeda: 2:02pm On Jan 05
dre11:

https://dailytrust.com/subscribers-kick-as-telcos-seek-fgs-nod-to-increase-tariffs/

Tinubu ONLY source of IGR is Tax and more Tax. Telescos are doing this because their taxes have increased. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by UptownVibes(m): 2:05pm On Jan 05
They will still increase it..

The one wen dey surprise me now is empty hen
10gb data ,wen no dey last reach 500mb during Jonathan time .

And they said Gej was clueless..

See people when get idea today,they are sinking the nation already.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Angelfrost(m): 2:06pm On Jan 05
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Everything improves when you decide not to care anymore.

lipsrsealed

No, they don't... What truly improves is your mental capacity to tolerate suffering. cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Curious345: 2:07pm On Jan 05
Sad
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Necrophagia: 2:08pm On Jan 05
verybadmouth:
Everything is increasing. You sef increase your own make everyone happy

Product Details

Model : Lenovo ThinkPad E480
Processor : 7th gen Intel Core i5-8250U Processor 1.6 GHz
Screen : 14" 1600x900 Wide View LED
Storage : 256GB SSD or 500GB HDD Storage (Prize varies)
Memory : 8GB (1x8GB) RAM
Camera / Webcam : YES
Wireless (Wifi) : YES
Bluetooth : Yes
Keyboard : Standard
USB / Mini Display Port / HDMI
Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
System : Windows 11 Pro
Testing Performed : 100% Tested / Functional
All functions tested and working
Battery : TESTED Perfectly (8hrs backup power)
Includes : Original Charger (Type-C)

Price : ₦170,000
Nationwide Delivery

Call/Whatsapp: O8O3O442O31

Na 100k I get , shey you go sell am for that amount ??
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by verybadmouth(m): 2:10pm On Jan 05
Necrophagia:

Na 100k I get , shey you go sell am for that amount ??
We have products for that amount. This is not 100k. Last price is 160k
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by atobs4real(m): 2:12pm On Jan 05
War is coming.
I pray it meet us well
Re: Subscribers Kick As Telcos Seek Fg’s Nod To Increase Tariffs by Sheddywiz(m): 2:12pm On Jan 05
Hello, please I'm not asking for much I just need to sell so I can have money to eat this afternoon.

I can provide you with 10gb data for just ₦2,000.

Please. Two persons only. Call me or WhatsApp @ +234 815 3443 504

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Welcome 2 Opera World Of Free Browsing! / How To View And Delete Event Log On A Full Touch Screen Blackberry / 10 Types Of Selfies You Should Stop Taking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.