Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. (28328 Views)

Recent Photos Of Samir Nasri After Retirement / Sergio Aguero: Why I Rejected Messi’s No.10 Jersey / Callum Hudson-Odoi Wants Hazard’s No.10 Jersey If He Leaves For Madrid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by robosky02(m): 5:04pm On Jan 03
Whenever Lionel Messi retires from the Argentina national team, Argentine Football Association president Claudio Tapia said he intends to make sure no player ever wears the No. 10 shirt again for the Albiceleste.

“When Messi retires from the national team, we will not allow anyone else to wear the number 10 after him,” Tapia said at a press conference over the weekend. “This number 10 will be retired for life in his honor. It’s the least we can do for him.”

Though retiring jersey numbers at the club level is fairly normal, it’s less common in the international game — and for good reason.

FIFA regulations require players to wear all numbers from one to 23 during official competitions. In other words, if Argentina is committed to retiring the No. 10, then it would have to play every tournament after Messi’s retirement missing one player on the roster.

There’s also the question of whether the most iconic jersey number in the game really belongs to any single player — even one as great as Messi.

Diego Maradona made the No. 10 shirt iconic with Argentina, and subsequent playmakers like Juan Román Riquelme followed in his footsteps until Messi made the number his own. If post-Maradona players could aspire to become Argentina’s No. 10, why couldn’t post-Messi players do the same?

Argentina actually attempted to retire the No. 10 shirt in Maradona’s honor more than 20 years ago, a request that was rejected by FIFA. It’s hard to imagine this time around will be any different.

Messi cemented his status as an Argentine legend in 2022, winning the World Cup to go along with the Copa América title he won the previous year. Though he’ll turn 37 this year, Messi is still very much central to the Argentina national team’s plans at the current moment.

Last month, the Inter Miami star said he was taking his national team career day by day and though he’s not closing the door on another World Cup in 2026, he is only focused on the 2024 Copa América in the United States.

After previously claiming the 2022 World Cup would be his last, though, Messi is now pushing for 2026 and a sixth World Cup appearance.

“I’m going to arrive at an age that I normally wouldn’t be able to play in the World Cup. I said that I don’t think I’m going to be there,” he told Star+. “It seemed that after the World Cup I was retiring and quite the opposite — now I want to be there more than ever.”

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2024/01/02/messi-argentina-retire-number-10-jersey/

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by atiku4President(m): 5:07pm On Jan 03
I will challenge that decision in supreme court

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by robosky02(m): 5:17pm On Jan 03
Like seriously

Who should they to they retire the shirt for?

Diego Maradona or Lionel Messi

Let's talk

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by slaawomirr: 5:20pm On Jan 03
Damnnn niggar
Messi my niggar

The little boy from rosario argentina santa fe!
on behalf of every little boy wearing his shirt!
messi on a million backs!
messi for a million flash bulbs!
messi crowned his Stella career

He was beautiful

He was the point of difference
He has always been the point of difference

Unparalleled
And maybe today there will of course always be those who argue
Always be those who debate and the debate can rage on if you like

But has He falls in love with the objects in the world that is heart most desired
It is hard to escape the supposition that he has rendered himself today
the "GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by raddyworld: 5:20pm On Jan 03
Good. if they retire it for him I think he deserve it nevertheless that is their decision not retention of jersey in the whole world.
Messi Argentina different from our Messi here in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Kimcutie: 5:20pm On Jan 03
robosky02:
Like seriously

Let's talk
Lionel Messi deserves it more .

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by robosky02(m): 5:20pm On Jan 03

1 Like

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Olachase(m): 5:20pm On Jan 03
I prefer Ronaldo to Messi

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by DiskJokeyManic: 5:21pm On Jan 03
Messi the god Of Football😍😍😍😍...... Who will retire de oda one dat is in Walahi-talahi FC scoring cheap penalties jersey wen he retires?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by 3ice9ce: 5:21pm On Jan 03
That's not enough. The FA President should donate his wife and 2 of his daughters to the ekuke dwarf.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by shiki(m): 5:21pm On Jan 03
cheesy Respect to the highest level
Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by DiskJokeyManic: 5:21pm On Jan 03
hisexcellency34:
Will Portugal do same for Ronaldo?

Y should dey do dat? Did de fraud win Dem dis below??🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by hisexcellency34: 5:21pm On Jan 03
Will Portugal do same for Ronaldo?

1 Like

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by okerekingsley90: 5:21pm On Jan 03
grin grin
atiku4President:

1 Like

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by plessis: 5:22pm On Jan 03
Deify a man because he can kick a round leather object.

4 Likes

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Gentlevip: 5:22pm On Jan 03
No doubt
The unique goat

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by AllahOfBlood: 5:23pm On Jan 03
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by robosky02(m): 5:23pm On Jan 03
atiku4President:

Diego Maradona made the No. 10 shirt iconic with Argentina,

So why retire it for messi

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Geovanni412(m): 5:23pm On Jan 03
robosky02:
Like seriously

Let's talk

The shirt should never be retired

This is football not basketball

Let someone else fill in the mighty shoes

If they retired the shirt after Maradona, would Messi have worn it?

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Judolisco(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03
I still don't understand how you'll watch Messi play football and say someone else is better than him... Playmaking, goal scoring, dribbling... He plays from d midfield while d so called hardworking marchant camps in d 18 yrd box grin

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by Streetmovement(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03
Wotoporiously cool speaking

The goat of the universe cool

11 Likes

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by INTEGRITYA1(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03
Nice one, Lionel Messi.

I support the motion.

Let others hustle for their own history.

8 Likes

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by leadinggists(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03
3ice9ce:
That's not enough. The FA President should donate his wife and 2 of his daughters to the ekuke dwarf.
Bitter soul

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by McBishop2020: 5:25pm On Jan 03
Ok nah
Re: Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. by robosky02(m): 5:27pm On Jan 03
Kimcutie:

Lionel Messi deserves it more .

How one created the no 10 Jersey
The master

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mohamed Salah And Egypt Team-mates Arrive In Russia / Mikel Obi Cuddling His Daughter, Mia / The Best FIFA Football Awards 2021 Winners (updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.