Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,473 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Skills Now Taking Over Degrees - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Skills Now Taking Over Degrees (1815 Views)

New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! / Learn Tech Skills Now And Pay Later / Nigerians With Advanced Degrees But Without Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Truvelisback(m): 7:29pm On Jan 06
Good day, fellas. Skill learners are now taking over Degree holders, in terms of earning and standard of living, according to Reno Omokiri. What's your opinion?

3 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by CoronaVirusPro: 7:54pm On Jan 06
Not in all field!

The only major field where such is playing out is IT, and the skill will only get you somewhere in the quest to climb the ladder. When you start having the need to reach some decisive positions, the degree will come to play.

Also, a skill can not make you negotiate big. HR's who employ you for your skills while ignoring qualifications are only throwing a peanut at you. They won't do same for someone with a degree and the skills.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by 10billionDollar: 7:56pm On Jan 06
That's the current reality in Nigeria.
On a bad day a mechanic makes at least 20k as profit, just after 2 or 3 repairs. shocked shocked

While a lot of degree holders are paid 50k monthly. tongue embarassed

I repair washing machines as my side hustle, there some months were I make more money from this than from my regular salary job.

Skill up guys!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Kingrshd3: 8:55pm On Jan 06
10billionDollar:
On a bad day a mechanic makes at least 20k as profit, just after 2 or 3 repairs. shocked shocked

I repair washing machines as my side hustle, there some months were I make more money from this than from my regular salary job.

Skill up guys!

It depends what about the federal civil service paraasterters that are earning 400k per month and will increase with time πŸ€” with other allowances too

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by thesicilian: 9:07pm On Jan 06
Skills will never replace degrees and degrees will never replace skills. Each has its own use and circumstances where they are more important.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by 1Alex: 9:13pm On Jan 06
I said earlier and I am saying it again without mincing words: if what is obtainable now was available when I went to school, nothing would have taken me to the university.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by 1Alex: 9:19pm On Jan 06
Kingrshd3:

It depends what about the federal civil service paraasterters that are earning 400k per month and will increase with time πŸ€” with other allowances too
which parastatal pays 400k a month?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Truvelisback(m): 9:27pm On Jan 06
Kingrshd3:

It depends what about the federal civil service paraasterters that are earning 400k per month and will increase with time
The Percentage of people earning higher are Skill learners compared to Degree holders. I'm not in anyway undermining the importance of Degree. A Carpenter is a very good example. If you find out what those guys are earning, you will envy them.

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Kingrshd3: 9:37pm On Jan 06
Truvelisback:
The Percentage of people earning higher are Skill learners compared to Degree holders. I'm not in anyway undermining the importance of Degree. A Carpenter is a very good example. If you find out what those guys are earning, you will envy them.

Good

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Kingrshd3: 9:38pm On Jan 06
1Alex:
which parastatal pays 400k a month?

NNPC na EFCC NIMAS, NPA, FIRS he plenty self make I no talk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Kingrshd3: 9:39pm On Jan 06
thesicilian:
Skills will never replace degrees and degrees will never replace skills. Each has its own use and circumstances where they are more important.

CASE CLOSED πŸ”’πŸ”

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Truvelisback(m): 9:55pm On Jan 06
10billionDollar:

Skill up guys!
Bro, using carpentry as a case study, I have met several carpenters. Those guys are codedly making hell of money πŸ’° in disguise. Imagine making like 100k upward in just one work in a day or even more. Those guys are making money πŸ’° many folks struggle to earn in a month just in one day. But the work no be Bobo oooo. There is a dude I know who gets work every now and then. He makes furniture. Most tend to act like they are suffering or not earning well. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by laivwire(m): 10:04pm On Jan 06
I think degrees get you the job and skills get you higher up. Lets take data analysis as an example, HRs will more likely pick Data science grads over Coursera certificate holders.

As for skills, that's what you use to climb up the ladder. And it's not about knowing these skills, it's about mastering them.

Another thing; high demand skills =/= high income skills. High-demand skills mean many companies are looking for them, this usually happens with all the craze of AI and software engineering. There can be high demand but also high supply.

High income is when you have become an unmatched guru in that field. For what it's worth, a skill may not be high in demand but if you are a master in that niche, you will be paid some cold hard cash for your wizardry.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by 1Alex: 10:30pm On Jan 06
Kingrshd3:

NNPC na EFCC NIMAS, NPA, FIRS he plenty self make I no talk
lol. Person go dey house dey imagine
Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Solvik(f): 10:58pm On Jan 06
Not in all profession and even the tech you still need a degree cause they both go hand in hand, you need both to survive having one of the two makes you empty.

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by thelegend1(m): 2:58am On Jan 07
This is quite an interesting topic that is a 2 edged sword in Nigeria.
Personally, even though I have a Masters degree, I would lean toward Skills acquisition.

Here's why

1. Take IT for instance. Once you're a good coder/developer/IT security expert...nobody cares if it is school cert you have.
2. In my core industry, those business entrepreneurs with a knack for sales are really cashing out. (Farmers, Carpenters, Glass or window makers, Iron wroughtsman, Plumbers, Food and Building material suppliers.
3. Skills bring business to your doorstep, whilst you have to carry your degree to another man's doorstep for employment.

Most of Nigerian degrees are only used as soft skills in the office (if you doubt me, name 10 companies that their business is based on Calculus rather than Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).

The world is moving at a fast pace with technology and most degrees would be outdated; a simple app does my accounting nowadays as against a full time accountant (Remember when getting ICAN certification was the holy grail 10 years ago).

Finally, check the ratio of Skill based and Degree based jobs our Japa-citizens are getting abroad. I dare say skill based is at 65%.
Get a degree, but it is a must that you have a Skill.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Uyi168: 6:33am On Jan 07
10billionDollar:

Skill up guys!

Mechanics dy make at least 20k a day Naim everybody nevr turn Mechanics

3 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Nicepoker(m): 9:07am On Jan 07
Kingrshd3:

(paraasterters) its parastatals.

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by EmperorCaesar(m): 9:24am On Jan 07
I will only take u seriously if u do not have a degree

And I'll take u more seriously if after giving birth,u decided not to send any of your children to the Uni

If the above do not apply to u, then u are just one of those who claim NYSC(1year program )is a waste of time yet 3years after Nysc,they are yet to make it

If a year is a waste, then u should do so well in your next year that we'll all agree u wasted your nysc year and that u should have become a billionaire if u hadn't gone for the nysc

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Maj196(m): 9:39am On Jan 07
Since I graduated my certificate never fetch me 1 kobo just my tech skills help boys dey where we dey today. So I agree with the OP

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Truvelisback(m): 10:17am On Jan 07
Maj196:
Since I graduated my certificate never fetch me 1 kobo just my Tech skills help boys dey where we dey today. So I agree with the OP
Bro, i know several ladies who make money from just hairdressing. Ladies troop into their shops to make their hair. As you know, making of ladies hair is expensive. The money those ladies make just in a day would amaze you. They are codedly making money. grin

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by mosho2good: 10:38am On Jan 07
Maj196:
Since I graduated my certificate never fetch me 1 kobo just my Tech skills help boys dey where we dey today. So I agree with the OP
Which tech are you into cause I wish to start also but don't know where to start from and I just finish my program

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by June2606(f): 10:55am On Jan 07
10billionDollar:

Skill up guys!
pls where's your location? I have a washing machine with a bad rotor that needs fixing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Kingrshd3: 11:09am On Jan 07
Nicepoker:
(paraasterters) its parastatals.

Lols u should know that's a typographical error na haba πŸ˜‚
Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Lovechyld101(m): 11:46am On Jan 07
Uyi168:

Mechanics dy make at least 20k a day Naim everybody nevr turn Mechanics

This is sadly truth that’s even on a bad day panel beaters, Rewire earn much more daily

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Lovechyld101(m): 11:48am On Jan 07
Skills have taken over degree my friend who is a Talior makes close to a million in a month depends on your consistency and name you made for your self

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Tohsynetita1: 12:02pm On Jan 07
This truck driver that drives from kano to Lagos, na yesterday I hear say na 3m them they charge per trip, I just want to confirm their salary. 3m is just for the service o, no be them go buy load of pay labourers o. Labourers take 100 naira per bag. let's say he carries 100 bag daily. that's around 300k monthly. some carry 200 bags and more daily.

1 Like

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Evolutionism: 12:14pm On Jan 07
Tohsynetita1:
This truck driver that drives from kano to Lagos, na yesterday I hear say na 3m them they charge per trip, I just want to confirm their salary. 3m is just for the service o, no be them go buy load of pay labourers o. Labourers take 100 naira per bag. let's say he carries 100 bag daily. that's around 300k monthly. some carry 200 bags and more daily.

Just for driving the truck from kano to lagos, then lagos to kano? N3M?

Or the driver Is the owner of the Truck?
Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Tohsynetita1: 12:23pm On Jan 07
Evolutionism:

Just for driving the truck from kano to lagos, then lagos to kano? N3M?

Or the driver Is the owner of the Truck?
For driving. Like they can rent the truck, so they give the owner like 2m or thereabouts per trip. The driver gets money from the owner of goods. But the person in kano said driver charges per percent. like 10 percent of the goods profit, or like 500k per trip.

2 Likes

Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Evolutionism: 12:37pm On Jan 07
Tohsynetita1:
For driving. Like they can rent the truck, so they give the owner like 2m or thereabouts per trip. The driver gets money from the owner of goods. But the person in kano said driver charges per percent. like 10 percent of the goods profit, or like 500k per trip.

Okay i understand now. Thanks.
Re: Skills Now Taking Over Degrees by Gboss247(m): 3:05pm On Jan 07
thelegend1:
This is quite an interesting topic that is a 2 edged sword in Nigeria.
Personally, even though I have a Masters degree, I would lean toward Skills acquisition.

Here's why

1. Take IT for instance. Once you're a good coder/developer/IT security expert...nobody cares if it is school cert you have.
2. In my core industry, those business entrepreneurs with a knack for sales are really cashing out. (Farmers, Carpenters, Glass or window makers, Iron wroughtsman, Plumbers, Food and Building material suppliers.
3. Skills bring business to your doorstep, whilst you have to carry your degree to another man's doorstep for employment.

Most of Nigerian degrees are only used as soft skills in the office (if you doubt me, name 10 companies that their business is based on Calculus rather than Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).

The world is moving at a fast pace with technology and most degrees would be outdated; a simple app does my accounting nowadays as against a full time accountant (Remember when getting ICAN certification was the holy grail 10 years ago).

Finally, check the ratio of Skill based and Degree based jobs our Japa-citizens are getting abroad. I dare say skill based is at 65%.
Get a degree, but it is a must that you have a Skill.
I agree with you but you still need the knowledge of calculus to design and manufacture computer hardwares and softwares.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent! / Diamond Bank Test: 21 07 06 / Disclaimer From Phillipsconsulting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.